mickymouse

May 1, 2017
Any one know any other devs who disclosed their piracy estimates?
Is 93% a normal, low or high expectation of piracy for a game dev?
Lastly how was these numbers calculated?

PS: Blame reddit and twitter ceos for me being cynical.

edit some that i found:
gamesindustry.biz/guillemot-as-many-pc-players-pay-for-f2p-as-boxed-product 93%-95%
wired.com/2008/11/world-of-goo-pi/ 90%
gamedeveloper.com/business/so-52-45-of-people-playing-my-indie-game-have-pirated-it- 52.45%

Last edited:
Reactions: fot

RobotMenace

Feb 28, 2022
Any one know any other devs who disclosed their piracy estimates?
Is 93% a normal, low or high expectation of piracy for a game dev?
Last time I talked to people directly about this was long ago and only people from Team 17 and Introversion so small but quite successful and they both estimated around 90% piracy. They accepted most of that 90% is people who would never buy the game anyway but I don't know if they said that on the record. Quite understandable why they wouldn't tbh

At the time the numbers for single player games were pure estimates from monitoring forums, trackers etc. Multiplayer more like is common today, a little bit of a call home that generally is used for other purposes (say checking for updates, news in a launcher, get a list of available servers etc) but can give you a good idea how many copies have ever being played vs how many you sold.

Reactions: mickymouse

Morioh1999

Dec 2, 2019
So there could be a possibilty that the game would have oyakodon in the sooner future or it would be a distant dream?

Anczej

Nov 4, 2020
Mind if I revive the topic from yesterday? I hope not, I'm just trying to throw in my two cents without sounding rude. Basically, I am part of that 93% of people that pirate, but brother, trust me or not, I'm just a dirtpoor student. Majority of the funds I have I invest into simply surviving a month and the bunch of hobbies I have, gym membership and supplements cost a lot. While I'd love to be more philantrophic, I struggle to convince myself to favour one developer over another as long as the game's survival doesn't depend on my few dollars, so as you can guess the only devs I donated to so far were very small/niche ones. I hope you understand that while I enjoy the content, I can't justify paying for it monthly. All that change will do is take away the content from me, which is fine I guess, I'm not gonna beg, but come back in a few months or years when I have some spare money, assuming I don't move on by then.

As for my general opinion for the game, it's very positive, one of the few games I'm actually looking out for new updates. The plot, Kimochi and Macumba is what I'm here for and I'm very curious how these three will develop, but art is hot as fuck too and Asami and the stepsis are growing on me. ...Honestly, I gotta add, I hope you understand that while I try to stay hopeful, I have also seen games like Milfy City, Summertime Saga and I could go on that went from pretty respectable games to total milkers, so I am a little worried. Anyway, you didn't fail to deliver as far as I've seen, so I can't wait to see the last update and I hope to hear you continue the development and at some point in the future I get to see it once again, good luck with that!

Dipo69

Nov 29, 2020
I am 100% fine with purchasing the game, it's high quality. I'm curious though as to how much content you have planned on Noriko, I love her as a character and being able to dominate or be dominated by her. She's been kind of lacking these past few updates. Thank you.

AD5

Jul 2, 2017
I am 100% fine with purchasing the game, it's high quality. I'm curious though as to how much content you have planned on Noriko, I love her as a character and being able to dominate or be dominated by her. She's been kind of lacking these past few updates. Thank you.
The next two updates will be about Noriko. The first one is about dominating her and second one is about getting dominated by her.

BigHotMommas

Apr 28, 2023
Apart from talking shit things will never change in the comments section here. Do you really think that for a game of this quality I only spend $200 a month?

Between making the backgrounds
sprites
CG
animations
Music
Programming
And all the other additional costs, how much do you think I'll have left at the end?

I'd also invite you to take a look at the ranking of the most taxed countries in the world. We're not world champions in France, but we're still on the podium.

So I'll say it one last time, I didn't say the game was dead because of piracy, nor did I say I wanted to make the 93% of pirates pay. I was just sharing with the community (which supports the game) the reality of things.

The game can continue to be developed, but investing more in improving the content, hiring artists as competent as my main artist isn't possible because I'd have to go through a studio to approach this quality.

So to conclude, yes, I earn almost $15k a month, but 80% is reinvested in the game, paying taxes, salaries etc.
would the game be released on any other platform in the future, or are you planning to keep it patreon exclusive?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
would the game be released on any other platform in the future, or are you planning to keep it patreon exclusive?
Please read the OP (again) -- this game never has been Patreon exclusive. There are links to a couple of sites where you can get it from.

rorzy

Sep 27, 2017
Patreon takes in between 5-12% and I believe the French tax is 20% which means it's almost 10k-11k per month just on patreon. I'm not making a case of they earn too much btw, just disproving that the game is dead.

Personally I don't care how much they make, I usually don't pay for products until they are finished or close to completion so even if the free versions stop and it's never leaked again I'll just play something else until it gets to that stage.
Relatively recently Patreon made the displayed amount much closer to what the creator will actually earn, after Patreon's cut and whatnot. So the number is fairly accurate, and even if it wasn't it would still be an absolute shitload of money lol. Even if he only gets 50% of the displayed number my opinion would remain the same; I do not care about how sad he is about piracy, he's doing extremely well for himself. And I say this as somebody who has been a patron of his in the past, and probably will be in the future.

So I don't know how it works in France, but I imagine it's +\- similar to Norway, in which case he had to register as a (single-person) company, to which the tax rate (In Norway) would be 51%. Assuming all of this is th esame in France, we're looking at an annual 'income' of 94k from Patreon. Which is pretty good (a bit over an good software developer position).

Assuming he's (heavily) embellishing the spending towards the game, and instead say it's 50%, we're then looking at 47k (55k from tax return filing buisness expenses). That's pretty good (as in, above average in France), but not "I'm rich" good. He'd be making more money if he simply got himself a software development job.

--

So I'll say it one last time, I didn't say the game was dead because of piracy, nor did I say I wanted to make the 93% of pirates pay. I was just sharing with the community (which supports the game) the reality of things.
The way it's phrased make it come accross as resentment towards the 93% that's not paying for the game, which is very similar to Ubisoft's sentiments in the past (claiming poor sales of AC:Unity on pirates, and not the dog-shit state the game was in). Reality is, if the game wasn't available to be pirated, you'd probably not see more than 'maybe' 5% of that 93% actually pay for the game, and that also ignores all the people that did join your patreon because they tried the pirated version.

Can only speak for myself, but the fact the game is on here, has increased the chance of me paying for this game when it finnishes, from 0.0%, to > 0%. I hate visual novels, but having an interactive map-system does put this into an "I might actually try it" category, vs "Ignore" category. Still haven't played it, debating if I should bother, or wait for an actual release.

Played Dystopian robot girlfriend (or something) that I downloaded from here for about 5-6 hours. Once that game is finnished and releases, I'm buying it, as I like it enough that it's on "I will buy it" list, same as Strive for Power (which is finnished, I just gotta get paid first at the end of the month).

Reactions: wuhuang_12

ElWorser7u7

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2019
Apart from talking shit things will never change in the comments section here. Do you really think that for a game of this quality I only spend $200 a month?

Between making the backgrounds
sprites
CG
animations
Music
Programming
And all the other additional costs, how much do you think I'll have left at the end?

I'd also invite you to take a look at the ranking of the most taxed countries in the world. We're not world champions in France, but we're still on the podium.

The game can continue to be developed, but investing more in improving the content, hiring artists as competent as my main artist isn't possible because I'd have to go through a studio to approach this quality.

So to conclude, yes, I earn almost $15k a month, but 80% is reinvested in the game, paying taxes, salaries etc.
Somehow, i agree with what you're saying. After nearly 2 years of development and what I consider to be a significant increase in the game's quality, it's reasonable that the expenses associated with it have also increased. I say this not only because of the sheer amount of things that have been added update after update, but also because the cost of each of these additions varies considerably. For instance, an artist who creates backgrounds for the game cannot charge the same as a "full-time" developer dedicated to this project. The difference between the two is quite significant, and both are essential parts of it(y)

In particular, i discovered this game through this forum and immediately subscribed. Not only because I liked the content and style of the game, but also because, for me, the greatest confidence a project can give me to ensure that supporting it will not be a waste of time and money, as in other cases, is through constant updates. Keeping your followers informed, providing additional content, sharing work in progress, each of these things matters. I don't understand how people can start comparing this great project, with an amazing future, to other games that only receive one update every two years, excuses, and "progress" that has been announced more than 20 times over that same period, all while having profits ten times greater and being "OK" with it :confused:

As long as this game continues to update its content and doesn't start charging its followers for literally doing nothing, I will continue to support it as much as I can.
I am very excited about the Noriko update, can't wait to see what lies ahead for this great project.
I wish you the best of luck ;);)

4.10 star(s) 173 Votes