Tutorial Guide on How to MTL Almost Everything

JustXuX

Modder
Jr. Uploader
Jan 13, 2020
Hello everyone! I've noticed an increasing number of requests for machine translations (MTL) in the translation section of our forum. To assist, I've decided to compile a comprehensive list of tools and methods that you can use to MTL games, doujinshi, and videos independently. This way, you won't have to wait for someone else to do it for you. I'm open to any suggestions or recommendations you may have, and I'll ensure this list is updated regularly.
This guide is primarily for those who want to MTL a piece of content for their own use, not for translators. However, translators may find it useful too. It includes the easiest and most effective MTL solutions.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

JustXuX

Modder
Jr. Uploader
Jan 13, 2020
If ReiPatcher has any problems with the game you could use my tool that automatically installs BepInEx and AutoTranslator if anyone wants. My Tool
This looks handy, thanks for the tool, I'll add it to the Unity tab.

emopro

Oct 22, 2017
Is there a guide on how to use the 'Visual Novel OCR and Sugoi Translator Offline'? Been clicking buttons and dont know what does what..

JustXuX

Modder
Jr. Uploader
Jan 13, 2020
Is there a guide on how to use the 'Visual Novel OCR and Sugoi Translator Offline'? Been clicking buttons and dont know what does what..
When I'll have some time, I might create a video guide. I didn't touch Sugoi Toolkit in a while, it's a bit clunky especially for game translation, I remember using a mod of the OCR that was easy to use. Anyway, I'll update the guide when I get my hands dirty again.

Oct 9, 2021
When I'll have some time, I might create a video guide. I didn't touch Sugoi Toolkit in a while, it's a bit clunky especially for game translation, I remember using a mod of the OCR that was easy to use. Anyway, I'll update the guide when I get my hands dirty again.
I've played with Sugoi and shit is all over the place with the guide. Thanks to Bepinex Autoinstaller it reduced the steps. So this is how I made the damn sugoioffline to work.

Files needed are (some names I can't remember correctly but nothing a small amount of time searching would not help):
1. Bepinex Autoinstaller
2. sugoioffline .dll file
3. XUnity-AutoTranslator-SugoiOfflineTranslatorEndpoint [try any version but pre-release/beta provided in github]
4. sugoi toolkit [managed to get v5 from f95, tried re-searching for it can't find it to help download] (it is this damn thing that took me long enough to figure out to get since github did not properly mention it just by saying 'need external kit')

Steps to make it work:

A lot of work? yeah cuz the problem lies with connection to sugoi backend server (to make it work offline) so hopefully someone can simplify these steps.

fantasmic

Nov 3, 2021
5. Go to sugoi toolkit folder and run the .bat file. Choose any of the option maybe? but I found out Textractor opens up a lot of windows and File Translator is the least (you have to allow network as admin).
You don't need to run Sugoi-Toolkit (click here).bat to get things working; each option actually has it's own bat file in the "Code" folder you can see alongside the main bat. I recommend going into "Code" and setting a desktop shortcut for Sugoi-Translator-Offline.bat (for translating text or starting the server to enable translations in Translator++, XUAT, and the Sugoi-Manga-OCR) and Sugoi-Manga-OCR.bat (when you want to translate images). Then I just click on the shortcut on my desktop and minimize the one window when I want to use the translator.

JustXuX

Modder
Jr. Uploader
Jan 13, 2020
Today, I'll be testing the remaining solutions and add them to the Guide.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
I recommend a slightly different way to translate Unity Games.

You can use Unity Asset Studio to extract the text files and use Translator++ with a Custom Parser.
Some translations can also be behind TextMeshProUGUI elements.
You can use regex: [ぁ-ゟァ-ヿ一-龯、-〿] to find Japanese text and find what the right rules are to capture the text in the Custom Parser.
You then patch the unity asset file.

This has two advantages, you don't have to wait around for the Auto Translator to capture the text and then translate it.
And some games get broken by Auto Translator so they are not useable so this would be an alternative for that.

Do note that not all games are possible to be translated this way depending on how deep and convoluted the text is in the asset files.

Reactions: shehdingkmci

JustXuX

Modder
Jr. Uploader
Jan 13, 2020
I recommend a slightly different way to translate Unity Games.

You can use Unity Asset Studio to extract the text files and use Translator++ with a Custom Parser.
Some translations can also be behind TextMeshProUGUI elements.
You can use regex: [ぁ-ゟァ-ヿ一-龯、-〿] to find Japanese text and find what the right rules are to capture the text in the Custom Parser.
You then patch the unity asset file.

This has two advantages, you don't have to wait around for the Auto Translator to capture the text and then translate it.
And some games get broken by Auto Translator so they are not useable so this would be an alternative for that.

Do note that not all games are possible to be translated this way depending on how deep and convoluted the text is in the asset files.
This is one way, but it's not easy and most likely meant for translators.
I'm focusing on MTL consumers.

On a side note. Tutorials are ready, I'm gonna edit them a bit and post tomorrow with links.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
This is one way, but it's not easy and most likely meant for translators.
Not really, plenty of RPG Maker games are MTLed like that.
It's just a bit tricky with the Regex when you set up the Custom Parser.

And games like this:
https://f95zone.to/threads/translation-request-the-goblin-ero-trap-dungeon.111248/

Can only be handled through that method.
I'm focusing on MTL consumers.
MTL consumers usually despise Auto Translator for being slow and not many full/cached and edited translations are actually shared.
They fine for interface translations but too slow for the story scenes.

JustXuX

Modder
Jr. Uploader
Jan 13, 2020
MTL consumers usually despise Auto Translator for being slow and not many full/cached and edited translations are actually shared.
They fine for interface translations but too slow for the story scenes.
From my experience, the Autotranslator implementation in Unity is slower than OCR.
I'm gonna post the guide on OCR today.

JustXuX

Modder
Jr. Uploader
Jan 13, 2020
The Guide is finally finished. I'll try to keep it up to date.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
could you explain that part to me?
how do you do it?

once the texts have been extracted, are you able to reinsert them?
You patch them just like you extracted them through Unity Asset Studio.

From my experience, the Autotranslator implementation in Unity is slower than OCR.
I'm gonna post the guide on OCR today.
Not really, it's slow because it has to wait for the Online Translators.
Cached translations can be fast for things like Interfaces if you implement good Regex support if you don't need to call the Online Translator every time.
However Dialog Scenes will always be slow because you cannot cache it without first encountering it.

Last edited:

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Good luck with it
It worked when I was making a decensor mod for myself which is where I learned that trick and I MTLed custom engine games before that needed specific tools for patches, Unity is much more supported and widespread than that.
I am not saying it's going to work for everything, in fact I know games that I tested myself where that was not possible.

But it's another tool and option you have.