• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
I personally think the MC is hands down the worst in any VN I have played. Every fucking word out of this guy mouth is just derp derp, I have the mentality of a horny fifteen year old with zero social skills and no filter, followed by line after line of exposition. Sadly I honestly don't think I can stay with this one which is disappointing because every other character is pretty great but this little bitch of an MC is just way to cringey for me to deal with.

Kakato

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2017
I personally think the MC is hands down the worst in any VN I have played. Every fucking word out of this guy mouth is just derp derp, I have the mentality of a horny fifteen year old with zero social skills and no filter, followed by line after line of exposition. Sadly I honestly don't think I can stay with this one which is disappointing because every other character is pretty great but this little bitch of an MC is just way to cringey for me to deal with.
Honestly, I don't understand the gigantic hype for this game. I decided to give it another chance with the last update, but that was it for me then. We waited several months for a meh update. Anyway, that's just my opinion. I do respect the ppl liking this game, even though I don't understand it and I hope the die hard fans are going to respect my opinion too.

Deleted member 3313072

Engaged Member
Jan 26, 2021
Well he was written like that for a reason, but yes I agree. Getting through certain episodes were rough, and they still are when I go back to replay Emily's route. Yeah he's a punk "thug" kid who always got into fights and whatnot and grew up in the ghetto but I am hoping that somewhere down the line, his vocabulary increases. Emily I think will only take his silly shit for so long (I hope so) but he does need a Hooked on Phonics course or two and maybe some classes in decency and mannerisms.

I wrote a fanfic a couple of months ago about how I wanted things to go. I have him maturing, going back to school to learn how to do what Samantha does so he can help kids like she helped him. Eventually, him and Em take over the HH, he becomes a licensed psychiatrist, Em & the MC get married, etc. I have him maturing over time with his language and grammar, completely shedding is wannabee "thug, tough guy" look.

Being an English Lit & Communications major and going through this game is certainly a bit rough.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Honestly, I don't understand the gigantic hype for this game. I decided to give it another chance with the last update, but that was it for me then. We waited several months for a meh update. Anyway, that's just my opinion. I do respect the ppl liking this game, even though I don't understand it and I hope the die hard fans are going to respect my opinion too.
I get it. But for me it all comes down to the MC. I'm an unashamed romantic and having an MC that so crass and clueless with every remark just ruins any feeling of romantic build up.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Well he was written like that for a reason, but yes I agree. Getting through certain episodes were rough, and they still are when I go back to replay Emily's route. Yeah he's a punk "thug" kid who always got into fights and whatnot and grew up in the ghetto but I am hoping that somewhere down the line, his vocabulary increases. Emily I think will only take his silly shit for so long (I hope so) but he does need a Hooked on Phonics course or two and maybe some classes in decency and mannerisms.

I wrote a fanfic a couple of months ago about how I wanted things to go. I have him maturing, going back to school to learn how to do what Samantha does so he can help kids like she helped him. Eventually, him and Em take over the HH, he becomes a licensed psychiatrist, Em & the MC get married, etc. I have him maturing over time with his language and grammar, completely shedding is wannabee "thug, tough guy" look.

Being an English Lit & Communications major and going through this game is certainly a bit rough.
I would like to play that game :).

Deleted member 3313072

Engaged Member
Jan 26, 2021
I would like to play that game :).
Believe me it was a lot of fun writing it. He got some redemption, a reason to mature, a reason to learn, and with Emily supporting him in his schoolwork and studies, they became inseparable and very much in love. Ash went to live with her family but still dropped by the HH, Luis moved out and became the manager of the convenience store. Em and the MC found Julie, and he surprised her along with the help of Luis and Officer Monroe. Samantha, Ash & Julie were bridesmaids at Em's & MC's wedding while Eli, Luis & Monroe were best men.

I tied or tried to tie everyone in on the future somehow and it was pretty emotional writing it. That's how *I* want the game to end, and in my head, even after this game is over, that's what I'll take away from it. He goes from street punk to counselor & psychiatrist with the girl he loves in his arms and yes, they live happily ever after.

Cliché I guess in a sense but that's how I am. :cool:

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Believe me it was a lot of fun writing it. He got some redemption, a reason to mature, a reason to learn, and with Emily supporting him in his schoolwork and studies, they became inseparable and very much in love. Ash went to live with her family but still dropped by the HH, Luis moved out and became the manager of the convenience store. Em and the MC found Julie, and he surprised her along with the help of Luis and Officer Monroe. Samantha, Ash & Julie were bridesmaids at Em's & MC's wedding while Eli, Luis & Monroe were best men.

I tied or tried to tie everyone in on the future somehow and it was pretty emotional writing it. That's how *I* want the game to end, and in my head, even after this game is over, that's what I'll take away from it. He goes from street punk to counselor & psychiatrist with the girl he loves in his arms and yes, they live happily ever after.

Cliché I guess in a sense but that's how I am. :cool:
It would be fantastic if that is the sort of direction it goes but I get the feeling the MC is going to be a punk that doesn't deserve Emily the whole time. But I guess there is still time. I'll check again after a few updates.

JuniorAT

Dec 25, 2017
I just wanna see Ashlyn meet Emily so we can see their reaction towards each other. Ashlyn should take MC's offer and visit Ashley's "new" family at the halfway house. Naturally I'd expect her to feel jealous towards Emily considering she felt abandoned by Ashley and probably feels replaced by her. Then she finds out the MC has feelings for Emily, maybe even Ashley. Aw hell nah!!

Maybe she cares maybe she doesn't. Maybe she ends up wanting the MC all to herself which could lead to some fun times with Ashlyn. I'd love to see this drama play out. Yes!

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
I get it. But for me it all comes down to the MC. I'm an unashamed romantic and having an MC that so crass and clueless with every remark just ruins any feeling of romantic build up.
I love the romance in these games also, but for some reason the MC in Halfway House doesn't really bother me. I should probably play it again from the beginning so I can understand what you all mean, but the MC seems like a decent person, with a pretty good attitude. A little too passive, but that is pretty much the case with all these games. Very passive MCs seems to be the style, unless you are playing a corruption game, which I don't enjoy, so I skip them.
Sure, he doesn't seem like the hardened criminal type, but neither am I, so that makes him easier to relate to as a player. Usually, I get a chuckle out of some of his dialog and attitudes.

Soundgfx

May 4, 2020
Everyone complaining about how the mc is a straight up thug and is dumb when it comes to women but no one ever complains how violent emily is but noOOoOOOOOoO muh emily is adorableee

Can we get another love interest that isn't a violent tropey tsundere? I'm all for Doctor kuneida she's a nice fit, a nice blend of pleasant and mature, or ashley or really anyone for that matter, I honestly don't care about emily, she's ridiculously unnecessary violent. I'm all for strong women who can beat other people but throwing shampoo bottles on an injured dude's head because he accidentally saw you naked is bad touch.

20210608_105250.jpg
The average emily fan vs average dr. Kuneida enjoyer

Soundgfx

May 4, 2020
Emily is such a cliche driven character, that I lost interest after 3 episodes... Ashley is interesting character-wise and beautiful model-wise, but knowing she is just an afterthought is rather dissapointing.
That's a real criticism man, it's easy to fall into the trap that is "she's a complex character because she has issues" but the way she acts is straight up childishly violent like a classic tsundere. It's true she's got issues and that's something that'll probably be fixed as the novel goes on but can you really blame other people for disliking violent tropey characters like her?

The disappointing part really is that she's a forced love interest, it would've been cool if we had a choice, all the other characters are just probably going to be banging buddies.

Mmushy

May 5, 2020
They all have issues, that's why they were all in juvie and are now all transitioning through a halfway house.
While I like the doctor, she is risking her reputation and career for a kid that's just out of juvie She must have at least 10years on him.

Reactions: Ottoeight

Deleted member 3313072

Engaged Member
Jan 26, 2021
I never uploaded it. It's in my notebook in my closet, and pretty sure that's where it's going to stay, along with my other fanfics, horror stories, and my Japanese fairy tale/mythological stories. My girlfriend/long-time partner is an author, and has had works stolen by uploading. I'll never publish it, but I'd like to keep it away from those sorts of people, you know?

clamp360

Apr 29, 2020
I never uploaded it. It's in my notebook in my closet, and pretty sure that's where it's going to stay, along with my other fanfics, horror stories, and my Japanese fairy tale/mythological stories. My girlfriend/long-time partner is an author, and has had works stolen by uploading. I'll never publish it, but I'd like to keep it away from those sorts of people, you know?
Totally understand, no worries.

Deleted member 3313072

Engaged Member
Jan 26, 2021
They all have issues, that's why they were all in juvie and are now all transitioning through a halfway house.
While I like the doctor, she is risking her reputation and career for a kid that's just out of juvie She must have at least 10years on him.
From what I know, Kunieda is 27, MC/Sean is 19

4.30 star(s) 171 Votes