Oldtoothlessbasterd

Jan 7, 2019
Well I'm not to sure how this works then?.
I play on PC using a 55 inch TV that's only 60hz, I've found i have to cap all my games fps at 60fps or else everything starts to look horrible.
Anything faster then 60fps and I have screen tear, stuttering and my controls feel sluggish.
I'm looking at upgrading my TV to a Samsung C9 around Xmas which has 120hz at 4k I have been told it can do 240hz at 1080p.
Not sure if its true buy its an upgrade to 60hz either way.
This should give me a smoother gaming experience at higher FPS, and less sluggish controls.
At least that's how it works from my experience, But then I've been told most people cant tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, I know that's a Lie anything slower then 50fps and games are almost unplayable for me!.
At least on my PC.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I have actually never heard of anyone tying anything to the monitor's refresh rate, the fps, sure, but the refresh rate? That is just insane. It has nothing to do with anything that matters.
Well it wouldn't be tied directly, but if it's dumping frames to the screen as fast as it can and this is synced to refresh rate by vsync, that's what I'd expect you to see. It's not a problem I've had myself because I went for picture quality over speed for my monitor.

Kiskocya

Dec 2, 2019
I have actually never heard of anyone tying anything to the monitor's refresh rate, the fps, sure, but the refresh rate? That is just insane. It has nothing to do with anything that matters.
Once upon a time, FPS was indeed tied to the refresh rate.
And it was a big deal, because of the various TV standards. PAL had a higher resolution at 25 Hz, and NTSC ran at 30 Hz. The same game would run 10% faster if you were in the US or Japan.
Even worse, most DOS games were tied to the CPU speed. (remember the ?)

That's how gaming was in the last millennium, kids!

Reactions: c3p0

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
Once upon a time, FPS was indeed tied to the refresh rate.
And it was a big deal, because of the various TV standards. PAL had a higher resolution at 25 Hz, and NTSC ran at 30 Hz. The same game would run 10% faster if you were in the US or Japan.
Even worse, most DOS games were tied to the CPU speed. (remember the ?)

That's how gaming was in the last millennium, kids!
Dune on DOS in 1993 wasn't crippled like that. Everything ran fine - all it needed was a 386sx and a CD-ROM drive. I encountered no problems running it on a Cyrix 586 back in the day. It still works fine through DOSBox without needing to chop the cycles down.

Reactions: TheDevian

Oldtoothlessbasterd

Jan 7, 2019
Rofl I remember putting a 133mhz frequency crystal into my 386dx/66 then trying to play Doom.
Game started fine but was so fast in game play it was impossible to play. (instant death from first imp)
Its when i started liking PC hardware and started experimenting.
That Pc was awesome, 200mb Hdd space, 16mb ram using a riser card, 8mb vesa video card when all others only had 2mb-4mb.
Granted it was a Franken PC, But i bought it for $100 spent another $140 on it and sold it for $500.
I used a few Vesa video cards for the extra memory chips and the ram stick from PC slavaged from the local dump lol.
Its what got me into PC's and then gaming.
I would never have found this site if not for that PC....
I miss those days!.

Reactions: Kiskocya

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
Before anyone seeks to gain some floppy drive street cred or reminisce madly about their state of the art Voodoo card, let's remember to keep on topic for this thread, please: Harem Hotel. There is an entire category at this site for off-topic subjects.

Reactions: L30 and Daddy2k

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
Wtf are people already asking for a new update? The last one came out a month ago. Y'all mother huggers need to calm down.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDevian

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
Well, if nothing else, people repeatedly asking for updates just shows that the game is that good.
I've never been a dev but I can imagine it gets annoying after a while though. I imagine it's probably the game development equivalent of people asking "are we there yet?" on any car trip. No, we're not there yet, please stop asking every other minute. You knew what you were getting into when you plopped your cheeks down on my car seat. And you better not fart.

4.70 star(s) 445 Votes