QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
There was no 'go down fighting' option, she was going to be enslaved whether she submitted or resisted, the only things that differed between the two, assuming she was ever even given the chance to submit peacefully instead of what happened, would have been in her value as a slave and if she sustained any injury during enslavement that lowered said value. If it was monetarily motivated, their best course of action would be whichever one gets her into their custody with the least possibility of injury and value decrease.
No, the best course of action would be to make them kill or cripple me so as to deny them the income. If you can't win the least you can do is make the other side not win either.

You are looking at this from their perspective and thinking that the victim is going to just roll over and give up. And I am telling you that makes absolutely zero sense. Why would anyone willingly roll over and allow their entire life to be destroyed? If that's going to happen anyway it's better to just die.

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
We need to remember though, that anger is very good at dulling everything else we might be feeling at the time, including logic and reason. Especially logic and reason. That's how I almost went and shattered the skull of the absolute douche who said my mother should also have died on the very same day I lost my father. I can assure you that having a civilized argument with that person, or anyone else really, was non-existent as I tunnel visioned on him with bat in hand (giggity). Luckily, my friends grabbed me and wrestled the thing from my hand before I made a huge mistake (giggityx2), but the MC had no one to do the same for him (or at least they were unaware of his intentions), so the scream call was made.

It's easy to say now, in hindsight, in all it's glorious, unbiased 20:20 8k HD vision, that people like the guy mentioned above aren't even worth our time or the oxygen they inhale, or that the MC should have done this or that rather than tele-scream at the man who was likely not even aware of this particular situation to begin with, when in the moment, I'd imagine all the MC could think of was reaching for Kali's phone and giving Cornwall a piece of his very angry mind. To shuck the corn, as it were (obligatory giggity). Was it the smart option? I would dare say it was the very opposite of that actually, but, you know, anger.

Corvus Belli

Nov 25, 2017
...he starts falling in love with one, and eventually realizes, alongside you probably, that this place kinda sucks.
In my defense, I realised as soon as I heard the word "slave", but I accepted it as a conceit of the game. I'd also take this opportunity to say that despite my occasional disagreement with how your story unfolds, I enjoy your game a great deal, and am very much in favour of more romantic events, especially repeatable ones. Things that would help them feel more like relationships than simple fuck-buddies.

This could be reproduced with half elves on Syl'anar though.
Which leads to the obvious question of how much elvish ancestry does a person need for their blood to still function in this manner? Which is especially worth considering given how many people in Syl'anar have elvish ancestry.

A large part of why Vanessa was introduced is so she could show Kali (and maybe the player) why these things are so bad
I figured that, given how quickly she was introduced after "hey, this machine needs parts of a living thing, harvested without their consent." Kali missed the obvious and horrifying conclusion, and then along came a little Jiminy Cricket for her.

If I have ever mentioned that half dark elves live the same as half elves, that should be treated as a bug and fixed. But I think you may be assuming half dark elves were included when something like "Half elves live half as long as elves" was mentioned in the story?
It's the latter. When you said "half elves live half as long as their elven parent", my understanding was that would apply to all half-elves, not just half-common elves; I don't think of the term "half-elf" as excluding "half-dark elves." Mea culpa.
In my defense though, if someone in fiction says "half-human", I assume that applies to all half-humans, not just half-humans with parents of a particular ethnicity. My error here is most likely that I think of the different elves as being the equivalent of ethnicities; they seem to all be one species with minor differences, not distinct sub-species.
And I also assumed, given the clues you dropped a while back, that Maria KNEW she was a half-elf, so I was surprised when her event started, and she was all fired up to go get a genetic test.

Reactions: TheDevian

allenandarth

May 30, 2017
You don't have to yell at cornwall, that's an option in v0.12.4. Regardless though, I've set up Cornwall to be the antagonist for slavery. He is in control of it all. Luckily you have his number, so you have the option of giving him a piece of your mind and marking him as an enemy. Or you can try to ask Mr. Trenero for help.

Even though cornwall wasn't directly involved, Cornwall is just as responsible for what happened to Maria, MC recognized this. He's definitely not going to help you get your girlfriend back. He's responsible for what happened to Maria in the first place.
well...shit, i don't have that version...i thought it was just some bugfixes so i didn't download it, my version i just went straight to yelling...and now i saved over it...i might have to replay the whole game again

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
well...shit, i don't have that version...i thought it was just some bugfixes so i didn't download it, my version i just went straight to yelling...and now i saved over it...i might have to replay the whole game again
You and me both. Saw the Changelog said bug fixes, wasn't bugging, so didn't bother downloading it.....I'll have to check my saves and see if I still have one from before that. If not, I guess it will be a full play-through with the new release.

Personally I think making Cornwall an enemy at this point is not a smart idea....no way we are ready to stand against him (openly).
I do wish I had the chance to go down swinging at the hospital though. I know it would have been a losing battle from the start, but it would have been worth the bail and/or jail time to knock-out at least one of those pricks.

Reactions: Jjay08 and alex2011

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
No, the best course of action would be to make them kill or cripple me so as to deny them the income. If you can't win the least you can do is make the other side not win either.

You are looking at this from their perspective and thinking that the victim is going to just roll over and give up. And I am telling you that makes absolutely zero sense. Why would anyone willingly roll over and allow their entire life to be destroyed? If that's going to happen anyway it's better to just die.
If the victim wants to survive, their best bet is to let it happen if they have any better chance of surviving that way and especially in this particular situation, where she has friends on the outside, including human friendsthat could get more done diplomatically than any elf could in such a place. I'm not looking at this from the perspective of the slavers, I'm taking this from the VERY specific perspective of Maria herself and including unknown elements. She isn't alone in this and we have no clue what she would have done presented the option of coming quietly. It's not better to just die in her situation because there is a ray of hope that could lead to a way out, which it did. It would be if and only if there was no way to recover from the situation, to get out of it back to the free world and restore their old life as best they can, but she had that opportunity because she had the MC, Ellen, and everyone else at the hotel doing whatever they could to get her back, mostly Ellen, who was the one who found her on the market and bought her back into their custody.

We need to remember though, that anger is very good at dulling everything else we might be feeling at the time, including logic and reason. Especially logic and reason. That's how I almost went and shattered the skull of the absolute douche who said my mother should also have died on the very same day I lost my father. I can assure you that having a civilized argument with that person, or anyone else really, was non-existent as I tunnel visioned on him with bat in hand (giggity). Luckily, my friends grabbed me and wrestled the thing from my hand before I made a huge mistake (giggityx2), but the MC had no one to do the same for him (or at least they were unaware of his intentions), so the scream call was made.

It's easy to say now, in hindsight, in all it's glorious, unbiased 20:20 8k HD vision, that people like the guy mentioned above aren't even worth our time or the oxygen they inhale, or that the MC should have done this or that rather than tele-scream at the man who was likely not even aware of this particular situation to begin with, when in the moment, I'd imagine all the MC could think of was reaching for Kali's phone and giving Cornwall a piece of his very angry mind. To shuck the corn, as it were (obligatory giggity). Was it the smart option? I would dare say it was the very opposite of that actually, but, you know, anger.
It doesn't just dull other things, it can outright blind a person if it is strong enough at any given moment and a blind rage can be deadly, mostly for the other people involved, but possibly for the angry one as well.

In my defense, I realised as soon as I heard the word "slave", but I accepted it as a conceit of the game. I'd also take this opportunity to say that despite my occasional disagreement with how your story unfolds, I enjoy your game a great deal, and am very much in favour of more romantic events, especially repeatable ones. Things that would help them feel more like relationships than simple fuck-buddies.

Which leads to the obvious question of how much elvish ancestry does a person need for their blood to still function in this manner? Which is especially worth considering given how many people in Syl'anar have elvish ancestry.

I figured that, given how quickly she was introduced after "hey, this machine needs parts of a living thing, harvested without their consent." Kali missed the obvious and horrifying conclusion, and then along came a little Jiminy Cricket for her.

It's the latter. When you said "half elves live half as long as their elven parent", my understanding was that would apply to all half-elves, not just half-common elves; I don't think of the term "half-elf" as excluding "half-dark elves." Mea culpa.
In my defense though, if someone in fiction says "half-human", I assume that applies to all half-humans, not just half-humans with parents of a particular ethnicity. My error here is most likely that I think of the different elves as being the equivalent of ethnicities; they seem to all be one species with minor differences, not distinct sub-species.
And I also assumed, given the clues you dropped a while back, that Maria KNEW she was a half-elf, so I was surprised when her event started, and she was all fired up to go get a genetic test.
I get the VERY strong feeling that the amount of elven ancestry needed for use as fuel is exactly the same as the amount needed for enslavement. The law is only effective on a person with a certain amount of elven DNA, but why would they specify something that selective if the whole point is to enslave elves? The could just as easily do it with an all-encompassing slavery law that makes all elves eligible for enslavement, so it makes no sense to make something as specific and far less enforceable as this law unless it served a greater purpose, such as harvesting them. Maybe only a select amount or higher will work.

I didn't see any reason, either, so I did not, but I intended to yell at Cornwall anyway, so I'm not sure I would do anything differently given the option.

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
It doesn't just dull other things, it can outright blind a person if it is strong enough at any given moment and a blind rage can be deadly, mostly for the other people involved, but possibly for the angry one as well.
As someone that has had (and still occasionally has) anger issues irl, I can 100% confirm this statement.

I didn't see any reason, either, so I did not, but I intended to yell at Cornwall anyway, so I'm not sure I would do anything differently given the option.
I have plans on doing more than yelling (if the story lets me anyway) but as I mentioned above, I don't think we are in a secure enough position to openly make him an enemy yet.
Think about it; he technically has the power to legally walk in and remove all of the elves from the MC's possession. Never mind anything he has the power & resources to do illegally.
We are just not prepared for that....yet.

• Red Heart
Reactions: alex2011

jestir

May 4, 2018
if you want to know who is and is not a half-elf it is simple is even in the game Runey gave you clues when talking to Kali's stepmom she tells you how to tell if someone has elf in them she tells you about eye color and it is even pointed out by Ashley

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
As someone that has had (and still occasionally has) anger issues irl, I can 100% confirm this statement.

I have plans on doing more than yelling (if the story lets me anyway) but as I mentioned above, I don't think we are in a secure enough position to openly make him an enemy yet.
Think about it; he technically has the power to legally walk in and remove all of the elves from the MC's possession. Never mind anything he has the power & resources to do illegally.
We are just not prepared for that....yet.
Not quite yet, we need a financially powerful ally that could fund our efforts and we should gain the support of some of the town, a significant portion, but not necessarily a majority, so that our own assets are protected against seizure. The last thing Cornwall wants is the opposition of the town because then he loses his power.

Reactions: Tavi13

Jjay08

Nov 16, 2019
You and me both. Saw the Changelog said bug fixes, wasn't bugging, so didn't bother downloading it.....I'll have to check my saves and see if I still have one from before that. If not, I guess it will be a full play-through with the new release.

Personally I think making Cornwall an enemy at this point is not a smart idea....no way we are ready to stand against him (openly).
I do wish I had the chance to go down swinging at the hospital though. I know it would have been a losing battle from the start, but it would have been worth the bail and/or jail time to knock-out at least one of those pricks.
Right? Go up against some dudes instead of robots. Would have felt less like a bitch leaving the hospital, hell even share a (minor) experience with Maria by being in jail.

Reactions: Tavi13

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
if you want to know who is and is not a half-elf it is simple is even in the game Runey gave you clues when talking to Kali's stepmom she tells you how to tell if someone has elf in them she tells you about eye color and it is even pointed out by Ashley
Even then, it's not that simple. You can only tell if they have elvish DNA in them by the color of their eyes, but not if they're a half elf. That is determined by the ear shape. Ashley has purple eyes, but she's not a half elf (which is more obvious with her skin tone) same with Ellen

Pedazo Yareel

Aug 27, 2018
Hi everyone,

I was wondering... do the stars in each attribute on characters make any difference? Does it change dialogue or something?
Thanks!

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
If the victim wants to survive,
But why would they want to survive? That's my point. The victim in this scenario is already dead. Their life is completely and utterly ruined. Everything and everyone they love is taken away. Their very identity is erased as the victim is turned into a piece of meat to be sold. There is absolutely no reason for the victim to want and live past that point. Death is preferable as it at least mitigates your loss by making sure they loose as well.

Squall99

Apr 6, 2019
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but how compatible are the save games of each versions with each other? Have an old 10.1? and would like to update, can I just copy the saves over to the newer version?

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I'm sorry if this has been asked before,
Not really or do you have searched the thread before?:geek:
but how compatible are the save games of each versions with each other?
I can't answer about the "how" part as I doon't have insight in the code, but they are compatible. Yet I can't and I would believe the others can't either guarantee that the saves are to 100% compatible without any bugs. Yet from my personnel experience with this game I haven't had an issue (yet - not counting pre versions, betas or alphas).
Have an old 10.1?
(y)
and would like to update, can I just copy the saves over to the newer version?
For Windows you don't need to. The saves are in two folders, your local game folder and in the %appdata%. So you need only to start a new game and load a save. For Android, Linux or Mac I can't say.

Last edited:

Squall99

Apr 6, 2019
Thank you. :)
Only searched through a few pages and saw there's a Patches section and that didn't really answer this. I was mainly wondering if i can just overwrite everything with the new version, or need to download it in a separate directory and copy saves over. (On Windows btw).

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
But why would they want to survive? That's my point. The victim in this scenario is already dead. Their life is completely and utterly ruined. Everything and everyone they love is taken away. Their very identity is erased as the victim is turned into a piece of meat to be sold. There is absolutely no reason for the victim to want and live past that point. Death is preferable as it at least mitigates your loss by making sure they loose as well.
So that they can continue to live once they find a way out. The captive dying isn't a total loss for the slavers, it's only a financial loss, but it does succeed in bringing -1 to the elf population, which is just as good in the big picture to them because that's one less 'inferior being' to keep track of and take care of. There is nothing to gain by dying in captivity and everything to lose, but it is very much the reverse by trying to survive until either being rescued or finding your own way out. Again, this is being taken from Maria's perspective and she does have friends who would do anything and everything to get her back. She WOULD have been rescued even if things didn't go down as easily as they did through buying her off the market the second she was on sale. Especially with someone as radical as Nia around, she probably would haave blasted her way in if all else failed. You might ask what Maria has to lose in this case and the answer is everything. She loses her life, her friends, people who have essentially become her family. She has a ton of reasons to keep surviving outside the walls of wherever she was held captive and no reason to believe she would never get out again.

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
So that they can continue to live once they find a way out.
What way out? You do realize that the vast majority of individuals don't have the magical plot armor that is being friendly to the games main character? They ain't getting out. Their life is over. If getting out of slavery was even remotely common than the whole system wouldn't work to begin with.

And that's the point I am making here. For the absolute supermajority of individuals the only thing a calm, polite and sensible approach would do is give them time to react and either try to run, defend them self or do something else to try and desperately claw their way out of the situation or die trying. And from the perspective of the captors that's a liability at worst and an annoyance at best.

That is why the response the hospital had is actually quite reasonable. They want to overwhelm the victim with rapid concentrated force so as to ensure it newer gets the chance to do react.

Now it's horrific to look at and experience to be sure. But it makes sense from their perspective.

4.70 star(s) 452 Votes