Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Hey, I appreciate you responding to my review!

Yes, this was one of the events I had in mind.
I think my main issue with the scene was that I am the type of player that loves exposition, so I instantly chose to follow her. I also - personally - felt bad about leaving Kali to have to suffer through the history lesson alone (especially when she responds negatively to you ditching her here). I'm sure people will argue that there were no actual, concrete points lost by skipping, but that's not how I felt as a player. I felt guilty. And this was before I even knew what the contents of the history lesson even were. That's what I meant by "forced." And I'm sure there are plenty of people who play this game and skip the scene without being affected at all, and that's fine. My viewpoint is not representative of everyone else's.

With the actual library scene, I actually really enjoyed the information I was being given about the elvish history. What I didn't enjoy was the constant interjections by Vanessa. I get it; she wants to support the elves, because she's seen the bad things done to them. I'm also a stereotypical elf-owner in her eyes. And maybe you were trying to write her as a dislikeable character, maybe not. I was there to get some nice worldbuilding, not get shouted at by a character I don't care about. It completely ruined what would have otherwise been an awesome scene for me.

This also applies to the scene where I'm meeting with Kali late at night to give her coffee; I'm not even given a choice before Vanessa's talk-show randomly comes out of nowhere. I have to sit through her very opinionated interview with another random elf for several paragraphs before I'm allowed to interact with Kali again. I went to the university to grow closer with Kali - especially since it was her character's event, not hear Vanessa ranting.

That's my main gripe with Vanessa; it's not her ideologies or her political views. It's not even how her character is written. It's the fact that she's ruining your well-written scenes with her presence.
I was confused, because you've done character separation wonderfully before with Ashley and her schoolmates. I was able to enjoy Ashley's storyline without having to be too concerned about Felicity and Emma's bitchiness, because they had their own stories that you focused on. I was able to grow to love them in their own route. Same applied for Kate; she had her own path that I could explore.
Vanessa on the other hand, is super one-dimensional from the player's perspective; I'm not even given a separate route to get to know her. She just barrels into me in random scenes and makes herself hateable then disappears. I'll be enjoying someone's event, then I'll roll my eyes because she'll appear, once again, and ruin the interaction.

Like I mentioned above, I'm sure there are plenty of people who are able to just skip the lines and not care that much. That's fine if they feel that way; they don't have to be as invested as I am in these small things. I am just a single player among thousands after all. But it doesn't sit well with me; it's literally driving my enjoyment to the ground.

On an unrelated note (and this is totally less constructive and more about what I selfishly want, so you definitely can disregard this if you want), I don't like the dark tone the game has taken on. I initially fell in love with Harem Hotel, because I was able to have a lighthearted fantasy harem with characters that were, to an extent, three-dimensional. I didn't really come into the game wanting more politics and emotional angst - I have enough of that in reality. But like I said in my review, that's up to you as the author. No blame there.

Thanks man!
Thanks for replying :)

I'm open to hearing suggestions on changing the mood of Vanessa slightly during these interactions, I'll get back to on that later, I'm busy at the moment. I don't want her to be totally disliked, so maybe it would serve everyone better if it was toned down a bit in her earlier interactions.

I think the issue you have with Vanessa's interview with the elf lady comes mostly from your bad first impression of her, would you agree?

There is character separation for Vanessa, she actually becomes a side character later once you get to properly know her, and at this point, she shouldn't be annoying or pushy at all and will actually respect you for what you do.

Harem Hotel was never meant to be only lighthearted. I love including lighthearted moments, and will continue to do so, but I tackle serious stuff like slavery, mental disorder, oppression, depression, class struggle, among many other serious topics. I see stories like a roller coaster, which means there will be ups and downs. I think it keeps a story interesting. You never want to plateau. But bad things happening should only make the victories feel worth it, and sweeter, which are and will be happening, but it's all apart of an ongoing story.

For example, Ashley was very poor as we all know, and Felicity & Emma were very rich, it's no mistake that F&E bullied Ashley.

Last edited:

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
do you mean dont add trackers? ngl is the first time I make a torrent
No, I mean the link you use to reference to the other post in this thread.
Code:
[URL='https://f95zone.to/threads/harem-hotel-v0-13-2-public-runey.12760/page-1014#post-3766339']Harem Hotel patch v0.12.4 to v0.13[/URL]
The part with "page-1014#" is the critical one as you link to my post on site 1014 of this thread. If other user use a different post per page setting the link doesn't work as intended. It would be better to remove that part, then it will work for all settings.

The other two links you've posted seems fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDevian

diggadiggadance

Aug 2, 2018
I'm open to hearing suggestions on changing the mood of Vanessa slightly during these interactions, I'll get back to on that later, I'm busy at the moment. I don't want her to be totally disliked, so maybe it would serve everyone better if it was toned down a bit in her earlier interactions.
I would appreciate that a lot!
I definitely tried to empathize with her in the beginning (because I know your characters always have another side to them), but the initial interactions were definitely a little too intense; it made it hard to give her the benefit of the doubt.
She would definitely benefit from the player catching glimpses of her more vulnerable self in between her full-frontal rants.

I think the issue you have with Vanessa's interview with the elf lady comes mostly from your bad first impression of her, would you agree?
Oh yeah, for sure.
I think if you address it in the way that you mentioned earlier, it would solve a lot of my negative expectations for her as a character.

There is character separation for Vanessa, she actually becomes a side character later once you get to properly know her, and at this point, she shouldn't be annoying or pushy at all and will actually respect you for what you do.
Looking forward to it! I'm definitely aware that the story is a work in progress and that we'll get to know the characters as updates come out. But it was important to me to draw attention to these things before there was a chance that things went off the rails completely. I would very much like to be able to love Vanessa from future events.

Harem Hotel was never meant to be only lighthearted. I love including lighthearted moments, and will continue to do so, but I tackle serious stuff like slavery, mental disorder, oppression, depression, class struggle, among many other serious topics. I see stories like a roller coaster, which means there will be ups and downs. I think it keeps a story interesting. You never want to plateau. But bad things happening should only make the victories feel worth it, and sweeter, which are and will be happening, but it's all apart of an ongoing story.

For example, Ashley was very poor as we all know, and Felicity & Emma were very rich, it's no mistake that F&E bullied Ashley.
Glad to hear your philosophy on writing! Story direction-wise - like I've mentioned before, I'm behind you 100% of the way. I think one of my favorite parts of this game is how the harem feels real.

I'll just have to find another way to scratch the more one-sided, wish-fulfillment OP MC fantasy (probably manga or something lol).

Super excited to be able to talk on level ground with you; most creators of this genre would have lashed out defensively. Definitely one of the reasons I second-guessed posting a review period.

Thanks for your time, brother.

Reactions: Runey

lolzw00t

Sep 12, 2021
this was probably asked and answered before, as i was using a compressed version and lains wakthrough mod ( though im possitive the bug is with compressed version) every time i click on something on pc i got an error, the error was along the lines of somethingsomething.png then i checked where it said this image is supposed to be the images were in different extension (due to compression most likely) so the game was having issues finding the files based on different compression, so to fix it i used cmd prompt went to the directory did a simple " *.png *.webp " without the quotes that command changes all extensions of files in that folder from one to another.. anyway minor thing

The main thing is i wanted to say i love this game, brings quite a bit of emotion from the bullying of ash, to understading F and E, basically every main and a lot of side chars have a lot to them, i am just horrified (another emotion outburst) that humans could treat elves in such a manner, i mean even Autumns father i expected his speech to be about equality yet thats equality in the sense of treat them still like slaves but in a kinder way... and the high elves with their own history rewriting and bs, damn i really hope we get to unite them and actually do some good :(

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
this was probably asked and answered before, as i was using a compressed version and lains wakthrough mod ( though im possitive the bug is with compressed version) every time i click on something on pc i got an error, the error was along the lines of somethingsomething.png then i checked where it said this image is supposed to be the images were in different extension (due to compression most likely) so the game was having issues finding the files based on different compression, so to fix it i used cmd prompt went to the directory did a simple " *.png *.webp " without the quotes that command changes all extensions of files in that folder from one to another.. anyway minor thing
https://f95zone.to/threads/harem-hotel-v0-13-2-public-runey.12760/post-6944933
https://f95zone.to/threads/harem-hotel-v0-13-2-public-runey.12760/post-6945202

Student10fan

Apr 23, 2020
Strange. Seems like your game has been corrupted somehow, this most likely happens when mods are involved. Try reinstalling or redownloading.
I tried reinstalling without mods and same thing happened, it's probably because it's the compressed version, I don't have space for the full uncompressed game.

anita202

Jan 7, 2018
No, I mean the link you use to reference to the other post in this thread.
Code:
[URL='https://f95zone.to/threads/harem-hotel-v0-13-2-public-runey.12760/page-1014#post-3766339']Harem Hotel patch v0.12.4 to v0.13[/URL]
The part with "page-1014#" is the critical one as you link to my post on site 1014 of this thread. If other user use a different post per page setting the link doesn't work as intended. It would be better to remove that part, then it will work for all settings.

The other two links you've posted seems fine.
oooohhh okay okay thx Im going to fix it now

Student10fan

Apr 23, 2020
From what I can gather, there is a thing in 13.2 that prevents the Autumn gallery from working, and in the compressed version, this causes the game to crash when they try to use the computer.
It is not present in 13.0, but something changed in 13.2 that caused it.

One of those many things that happen between time slots. XD
Or maybe his clothes have a self cleaning add on, like Kali's glasses auto tint, and probably do other things like have a built in media player, go on line, record videos ...hell, they might even have wiper blades for when it rains! XD
Is there a fix for 13.2 compressed?

Deleted member 929426

Oct 5, 2018
What new Lucia events are in v0.13? Want to know if it's worth downloading the whole game again.
Lucy's not the only one with new content, so it might be worth it to download v0.13.2. The other thing to consider is that Runey has modified the game files in such a way that future updates will just be patches that are installed into the current version instead of having to keep downloading the entire game each time.

Reactions: TheDevian

Omega Deose

Dec 24, 2018
The features are slowly being added to each character. Just like how one-by-one the characters get additional outfits to wear in the lobby or get added to the dungeon.

Personally, as a suggestion to Runey, it would be entertaining to see characters like Hana, Moon, and Lucia randomly pop up in the lobby, shower, garden, etc. when they or the room aren't otherwise occupied and have options to have fun with them.
or a "COSTUME" ther gives the girl a big belly like she wouzld be pregnant, i am sure ashley would like this she is my fav

sserobinsse

Sep 6, 2017
most say that the Dev have done great work on is game because i have play it now a few days just to try it out and i can say that i like the story of the characters and they personality specialty the slave that work as a maid (to not spoiler/spoil i dont name her)
and i like that on the slave path for the slaves (two at the moment does not know if more will be added with paths)
they at first is like i will not obey and then after some days and some talk with the slave maid they change they tune from not obeying into be like: master why do you not sit down on the couch and lets me take care of you (my have something to do with that we as MC dont treat them any worst than they old masters)

and on the love path for the slaves they are have they "Guard UP" when you first talk to them and after some time they start to lower they "Guard" and start to trust you more

my favorite characters is the Slave maid and the two Slaves you can buy i will put in spoiler who i is talking about for does that want to know

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
most say that the Dev have done great work on is game because i have play it now a few days just to try it out and i can say that i like the story of the characters and they personality specialty the slave that work as a maid (to not spoiler/spoil i dont name her)
and i like that on the slave path for the slaves (two at the moment does not know if more will be added with paths)
they at first is like i will not obey and then after some days and some talk with the slave maid they change they tune from not obeying into be like: master why do you not sit down on the couch and lets me take care of you (my have something to do with that we as MC dont treat them any worst than they old masters)

and on the love path for the slaves they are have they "Guard UP" when you first talk to them and after some time they start to lower they "Guard" and start to trust you more

my favorite characters is the Slave maid and the two Slaves you can buy i will put in spoiler who i is talking about for does that want to know

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I'm glad you're enjoying the game. I don't think the names are a secret to anyone playing. :)

Deleted member 929426

Oct 5, 2018
I've often wondered if there was a way to use the fairies on the girls in the same way some people use gerbils. At the very least, it'd make them useful for a change, and think of the money saved on batteries. :sneaky:

4.70 star(s) 452 Votes