I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Depends on what people want, I suppose. But it's much harder to do it that way. I would essentially be working on the same game twice if I were to switch to part 2 on Android but not on PC/Mac. (Not double the work on my end, but still much more work than is necessary)
You could always do a poll on Patreon; that way, you could see how many backers you have on Android, to see if it's something you could drop. Of course, someone else might always release an android build if you drop it. That happens with a lot of games.

Reactions: iamnuff

cavaemon

May 29, 2018
if its viable to play on android WITHOUT losing any quality then im for it... its not hard to delete a file and download I think its that people are lazy and would rather have a whole file (which will become impossible as stated with runey on file size) so they only do it once instead of it being in parts... I rather have quality damn it.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
From my personal viewpoint as a (self centred) consumer :

I would prefer the PC version to stay all in one.

If the android version can't, it is just another reason to stay with PC.

If managing 2 different versions is more hassle than it is worth for Runey, he might consider dropping android.

Yes, he may lose support from Android users, but I guess that will factor into his hassle / worth calculation.

There are some very talented android porters here that might be prepared to take up the slack.

Perhaps Runey could engage with one of them (semi) officially.

I see a lot of comments about compression saving size at the expense of image quality.

If the necessary shrinkage has a detrimental effect on the game, such a separation might protect Runey from backlash.
If those are the options I'd rather see the android build just stop. A separate part 2 would be terrible since none of the original content would be available. It's been done well enough in linear story based games, but not in a sandbox game like this one.
You could always do a poll on Patreon; that way, you could see how many backers you have on Android, to see if it's something you could drop. Of course, someone else might always release an android build if you drop it. That happens with a lot of games.
From all of my stats through Patreon, itch.io, and Google Analytics, Android users account for more downloads than PC and Mac combined.

Android builds are the bane of my existence, but losing half of the players that play HH is not good.

im pretty sure he told me July
Expected release is June, my bad.

Rodzaju

Dec 25, 2018
From all of my stats through Patreon, itch.io, and Google Analytics, Android users account for more downloads than PC and Mac combined.

Android builds are the bane of my existence, but losing half of the players that play HH is not good.
Unexpected but informative.

I guess you need to find a way to make it work.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Depends on what people want, I suppose. But it's much harder to do it that way. I would essentially be working on the same game twice if I were to switch to part 2 on Android but not on PC/Mac. (Not double the work on my end, but still much more work than is necessary)
I am also on the prefers one piece side, as I hate switching like that, I get confused easily, but I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to make two versions like that, though I am not sure how much worse it would be to make it like that. So, if you decide to go that route I understand, even if it's not my preference. That is sad to learn though, I am going to have to remember that.

...Though I do know a few people who download it on their phones and play it on their pcs, due to bad internet, but I feel certain they are in the minority.

Last edited:

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
I don't know exactly how it's done, but I know it's been done before. My only worry is that the player may need to complete every girl's story in 'Harem Hotel Part 1' to be able to play Part 2. After all, you couldn't play through a girls story in part 2 if that content isn't in part 2.

No, harem hotel part 2 is not a completely new game. Renpy just has very silly rules when it comes to Android builds.
I'm not a programmer but wouldn't it be possible to make a 2nd game with a "prologue" of sorts that just ask about your choices from game 1 so it would set proper flags then just set the pre-existing characters to stats of 10 ?
This of course would be to allow people who didn't play part one to jump on with game 2 without needing to have played.

Or as an alternative just have game two come with a save ?

That's of course assuming you make a game two instead of dropping support or finding another work around.
I don't envy the hard choice you'd have to make.

DeltaDuster

Oct 5, 2018
I wonder, is it possible to break all the story segments into individual files and only upload what's necessary for the next version at the time?

For PC, this would mean less uploading the full game every time and easier for people with monthly bandwidth quotas.
For Android, the same advantages as well as being able to finish a character off then delete the associated files (or push their story to whatever point before it's locked behind another character's story and you can put a disclaimer on the individual story downloads saying something like "X requires Y and can spoil Z, so try to play them concurrently").

I'm unsure of how modular RenPy might be, but I know from Lua it wouldn't be hard to reference ifexist arguments for physical files or save file variables.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
I'm not a programmer but wouldn't it be possible to make a 2nd game with a "prologue" of sorts that just ask about your choices from game 1 so it would set proper flags then just set the pre-existing characters to stats of 10 ?
This of course would be to allow people who didn't play part one to jump on with game 2 without needing to have played.

Or as an alternative just have game two come with a save ?

That's of course assuming you make a game two instead of dropping support or finding another work around.
I don't envy the hard choice you'd have to make.
I should be able to set the save directory from both games to the same file. This means you can just download Part 2, and load your save from part 1.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I should be able to set the save directory from both games to the same file. This means you can just download Part 2, and load your save from part 1.
Honestly, I don't even mind moving my save file, if it means I get that many more slots, since I can't really load those old ones any more anyway.

...Hopefully you plan to carry the repeatable events over to the new one, and just leave the old story events behind.

EverCursed

May 2, 2019
See . It seems like you are limited to 2GB expansion file, and I guess that's why that limitation was baked into Ren'Py. However, it does say you can basically have two of those files, and seeing some other sources, the real max APK size seems to be 4GB. Maybe there's a way to work around Ren'Py to get that to work?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDevian

imzahai

Apr 19, 2019
bane of my existence, but losing half of the players that play HH is not good
but what % of those downloads are paying? because in the end that really matters. if 80% of your donations are from PC/mac then it isn't really worth it to cater to droid. if its a commensurate % of donators to downloads, then it obviously behooves you to cater to them. which would mean you really would need to do the chapters method; or again weigh your motivation vs effort. ~ and mind you this is coming from someone who isn't donating (I am not in a position to do so at this time)

• Haha
Reactions: TheDevian

riktor

Nov 26, 2018

I have no knowledge of how such statistics are gathered, or if things like multiple downloads from the same user are accounted for (issues of storage space / device changes being more prevalent with android over pc / mac). I would imagine a simple poll of your patrons would be the easiest way.

peixe751

Jul 7, 2017
So for Affection do i always need them to be very high or can i get the scenes with bad affection like through idk, corruption,blackmail im not sure what kinda of content we have here exactly

4.70 star(s) 450 Votes