frap

Oct 17, 2018
Was it minus 10C and in Germany for a training combined with other countries?
No, that was REFORGER ("Return of Forces to Germany" - a NATO exercise) and the NATO command exercise alternating every year while I was stationed there... some time around the neolithic, I believe ;)

Loved Germany, though. Beautiful country, the autobahn, great public transit, just never try to pass a bus in traffic - as soon as they turn on their left turn signal they have the right-of-way... even if you're halfway around them when they do. Bus hits you, it's your fault.

Reactions: TheDevian and DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
No, that was REFORGER ("Return of Forces to Germany" - a NATO exercise) and the NATO command exercise alternating every year while I was stationed there... some time around the neolithic, I believe ;)

Loved Germany, though. Beautiful country, the autobahn, great public transit, just never try to pass a bus in traffic - as soon as they turn on their left turn signal they have the right-of-way... even if you're halfway around them when they do. Bus hits you, it's your fault.
Sigh guess I did spoil my age a little, was conscripted around the same time as another member of this forum that mentioned that earlier. I was less suited to the militarily life though and yeah Germany is not that bad. ( I know treason for a Dutchman). :p

Edit: Unless it is minus 10C of course and you have to be out and about. :p

frap

Oct 17, 2018
Sigh guess I did spoil my age a little, was conscripted around the same time as another member of this forum that mentioned that earlier. I was less suited to the militarily life though and yeah Germany is not that bad. ( I know treason for a Dutchman). :p

Edit: Unless it is minus 10C of course and you have to be out and about. :p
Wait, the Nederlanders on some of those exercises were still in basic? :unsure: Could explain a lot. Except those guys got to have booze in the field... and got overtime if I was told correctly. Something about a union?

Anyway - one of those exercises I got second-degree frostbite in 8 fingers, 1 thumb and the knuckles of both hands. Didn't hurt... until they started warming back up. Upside, I don't have hairy fingers any more - it was fine, soft hairs, but still looked Neanderthal-ish.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Wait, the Nederlanders on some of those exercises were still in basic? :unsure: Could explain a lot. Except those guys got to have booze in the field... and got overtime if I was told correctly. Something about a union?

Anyway - one of those exercises I got second-degree frostbite in 8 fingers, 1 thumb and the knuckles of both hands. Didn't hurt... until they started warming back up. Upside, I don't have hairy fingers any more - it was fine, soft hairs, but still looked Neanderthal-ish.
Well I can assure you that conscripts were part of those exercises when we still had those and yeah the overtime seems pretty likely. Can also confirm the booze and that we had the option of doing tax free purchases during those exercises. Luckily I escaped frostbite, though you seem to have been lucky with yours.

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019

Basics for conscripts was only about a month and a half. Conscripts for specialized tasks (tank drivers etc.) would get a crashcourse for another few weeks, but few got to be that lucky, most such neat jobs were already phased out for them, and only done by the "beroeps" or professional military personal.
Many conscripts during those last days never even went on training anymore, and spent the last seven and a half months of their nine months duty doing absolutely *nothing*. Sounds nice, to get paid for doing nothing, but trust me, those I know who had that happen to them felt they were utterly and completely pointless as a human being after that time.
Getting good food wasn't the only neat thing about the navy: the navy is always thin stretched for people, so there was something to do every day, though I did often get sent "shopping for a package of batteries for the Sarge". Which was a euphinism for getting official permission to leave the base for an unofficial afternoon off. That placement in Amsterdam did have several merrits. :cool:

Reactions: frap and DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Basics for conscripts was only about a month and a half. Conscripts for specialized tasks (tank drivers etc.) would get a crashcourse for another few weeks, but few got to be that lucky, most such neat jobs were already phased out for them, and only done by the "beroeps" or professional military personal.
Many conscripts during those last days never even went on training anymore, and spent the last seven and a half months of their eight months duty doing absolutely *nothing*. Sounds nice, to get paid for doing nothing, but trust me, those I know who had that happen to them felt they were utterly and completely pointless as a human being after that time.
Getting good food wasn't the only neat thing about the navy: the navy is always thin stretched for people, so there was something to do every day, though I did often get sent "shopping for a package of batteries for the Sarge". Which was a euphinism for getting official permission to leave the base for an unofficial afternoon off. That placement in Amsterdam did have several merrits. :cool:
Yeah the barracks being three quarters empty did not help either or my natural tendency to do something my way if that is an easier and better way to do a thing, luckily I had some other talents that were usable . :p But yeah the booze use was extremely high under conscripts in those days.

• Haha
Reactions: frap and Dripping
4.10 star(s) 64 Votes