nitrolith

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2021
The old art was embarrassingly bad.
Ask 10 of your weeb friends who never seen/heard of the game and I'm pretty sure majority will say new is better.

old.PNG

new.PNG

People can always mod it if they want the old standing images, but not worth it in my opinion.

I think some will adjust quickly some will take longer, but it's just a bias issue I think.

nitrolith

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2021
the art got redone?
I have been taking a break to let updates a ccumulate. when did this happen?
is there a side by side comparing new and old art?
Only the standing images got changed, the old CGs will be kept because I need to setup the fact that I'm not really an artist, I'm just learning as I go along.
It will also be a huge time sink to redo things. New things are better in my opinion.

Edit: Also, v0.4 has the new standing not v0.3.6 but it's very buggy. I guess that's enough to see the new art though, but there will be some tweaks in the new version they're not final.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Only the standing images got changed, the old CGs will be kept because I need to setup the fact that I'm not really an artist, I'm just learning as I go along.
Wait, I am confused... you are not an artist?
who made the original art for the game until now?
did the artist leave?

nitrolith

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2021
Wait, I am confused... you are not an artist?
who made the original art for the game until now?
did the artist leave?
No, I'm a solodev. What I meant is that I wasn't really an artist, I just learned digital art in 3 months and brute forced my way through it.
My oldest experience was doing pencil sketches every once in a while during my high school days.

But I'm improving slowly, the Elena update had some decent CGs with not that many flaws like the old CGs.
Hopefully the trend continues up.

Lewyn Collins

Engaged Member
Nov 16, 2021
Ask 10 of your weeb friends who never seen/heard of the game and I'm pretty sure majority will say new is better.

View attachment 2179540

View attachment 2179542

People can always mod it if they want the old standing images, but not worth it in my opinion.

I think some will adjust quickly some will take longer, but it's just a bias issue I think.
I mean, the new art isn't great either, but it IS better than the old one. That said, you're a solo dev and this is still an alpha stage, you've got plenty of time to dev your own skills. I'm just hoping you don't drop this project like many other devs have sadly done.

Lewyn Collins

Engaged Member
Nov 16, 2021
After waiting for a few days I gotta ask: is update 0.4 as buggy as it was a week ago? I remember I couldn't even train the girls in 0.4.

nitrolith

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2021
After waiting for a few days I gotta ask: is update 0.4 as buggy as it was a week ago? I remember I couldn't even train the girls in 0.4.
Yeah, I haven't released a new version. v0.4 was leaked here, it wasn't supposed to be released to public, it's an early alpha release for patrons.

The new v0.4 will be a shorter update. It will have bug fixes and story scenes that will tie the loose ends so we can start on the second phase of the story.
The highlight of the update will be an H scene with Cecille.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
No, I'm a solodev. What I meant is that I wasn't really an artist, I just learned digital art in 3 months and brute forced my way through it.
My oldest experience was doing pencil sketches every once in a while during my high school days.

But I'm improving slowly, the Elena update had some decent CGs with not that many flaws like the old CGs.
I see, thank you.
well I personally think your art is amazing. for a "not an artist" you draw some of the best art I have seen

Alandir

Aug 18, 2021

View attachment 2179540

View attachment 2179542

I think it's less the quality, which is evidently better, and just some expressions.
At least personally. I always liked how Cecille smiled in the old images. It's not a bad smile and she's obviously pretty, so you can see how someone like Erin would see her as a perfect, beautifull priestess. But as the player who knows more about her could also see her scheming, manipulative ways in her gaze. It worked really well to convey both sides of Cecilles persona and her real personality in one picture.
The new ones look like she's pulling off the act much better, but also hide her scheming personality and thus don't have those two visible at once anymore. She just looks cute and innocent now.
That's just a personal thing though.

nitrolith

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2021
I think it's less the quality, which is evidently better, and just some expressions.
At least personally. I always liked how Cecille smiled in the old images. It's not a bad smile and she's obviously pretty, so you can see how someone like Erin would see her as a perfect, beautifull priestess. But as the player who knows more about her could also see her scheming, manipulative ways in her gaze. It worked really well to convey both sides of Cecilles persona and her real personality in one picture.
The new ones look like she's pulling off the act much better, but also hide her scheming personality and thus don't have those two visible at once anymore. She just looks cute and innocent now.
Yeah, that's because of her eyebrows, they're more relaxed now and "open". They don't match the old because I was in a hurry to release the alpha and didn't match ALL the expressions 1:1. I just exported the new expressions I made on the new PSD file without trying to match to the old ones as accurately as possible.

The idea is I wanted to experiment until I arrive to the best expressions possible that define Cecille's character. They're not final or anything. In fact, the old standing images were on the 4th draft when I released v0.1. It's just how I do things.

I want people to imagine the v1.0 and focus on the big picture, because the details will always be subject to change as the game is currently in development.

lnppo

Jun 23, 2018
Clothing looks better but I think the old faces have more detail and expression subtlety.
New looks more standard anime instead of your own unique style, imo.

Of course it's your project so if you prefer the new then don't mind me, I just think the originals are more unique/memorable.

nitrolith

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2021
Clothing looks better but I think the old faces have more detail and expression subtlety.
New looks more standard anime instead of your own unique style, imo.

Of course it's your project so if you prefer the new then don't mind me, I just think the originals are more unique/memorable.
That's not really a style that's just being bad at art. I wouldn't be able to draw like that again even if I tried.

As for expressions, I'll keep working on them until they're as expressive as they can be. Expressions are something I put a lot of effort into.

Don't say that. That art was fantastic. But maybe you're right and all I'm a little biased and need some time to get used to new art.

P.S. Maybe you can do something with those ears? They stick out so much.
That art was bad, I released v0.1 knowing I had to change it later.
I'm pretty sure it's just bias, because the NPCs were drawn in the new style, and I saw no complaints whatsoever. Change makes people uncomfortable, but it's an inevitable aspect of development.

As for the ears, I doubt I'll change them much.

Dororo92

May 3, 2022
That's not really a style that's just being bad at art. I wouldn't be able to draw like that again even if I tried.

As for expressions, I'll keep working on them until they're as expressive as they can be. Expressions are something I put a lot of effort into.

I'm pretty sure it's just bias, because the NPCs were drawn in the new style, and I saw no complaints whatsoever. Change makes people uncomfortable, but it's an inevitable aspect of development.

As for the ears, I doubt I'll change them much.
You are the dev and its your game but i really prefer the old version, for the faces in my opinion we feel better the perverse side of Cecille in the old version.I dont know how to explain this but if its not a style why change something that works, but like you say the game is currently in development i hope for a great result good luck.

Reactions: Sneak_Deer

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
I'm pretty sure it's just bias, because the NPCs were drawn in the new style, and I saw no complaints whatsoever.
Not complaining about the new art, there's things I like more about the new art and there are things I like more about the old art.
What I will say though, is that I first decided to try this game out because at the time it had 26 reviews and without a single exception every one of them was a 5* rating. You absolutely don't pull that off with bad art, although I'm still glad you're trying to grow and improve from there.

FFTW

Jun 7, 2017

View attachment 2179540

View attachment 2179542

Yeah, I have to add my voice to the people that say the old style is better. It felt far more unique and intriguing. I also fully agree with this post:
I think it would be best to offer both via a toggleable option in the settings. That way no matter what style the player likes they will be happy. Many games provide such an option, like the Legend of Queen Opala series for example.

Reactions: Zerokou

shimshimshim

Nov 13, 2021

For someone who is not an artist brute forcing their way through I must say it's pretty darned impressive.

4.70 star(s) 287 Votes