HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
so i figured something out regarding the issue i had. i store my games on a usb stick. as long as the game is on my desktop everything is fine but if i try to move it over to the stick windows tells me the file 0images.rpa is too large for the medium which cannot be true in any way since the whole folder has 6.77gb while the stick has 260 gb free space. if i continue on anyways obviously the game wont work properly.
I play all my games from a USB external hard drive and it works fine. Might consider getting a cheap external drive.

DickMcFuck

Aug 13, 2019
I play all my games from a USB external hard drive and it works fine. Might consider getting a cheap external drive.
i spend like 150 bucks on these sticks so ill keep at those for now. i'll just leave HHG on the pc from now on, evtl komisari can fix it and if not then theres nothing i can do.

Nov 24, 2019
so i figured something out regarding the issue i had. i store my games on a usb stick. as long as the game is on my desktop everything is fine but if i try to move it over to the stick windows tells me the file 0images.rpa is too large for the medium which cannot be true in any way since the whole folder has 6.77gb while the stick has 260 gb free space. if i continue on anyways obviously the game wont work properly.
Your pendrive is probably formatted as , which has a maximum file size of 4GB. It is a common format for pendrives.

Try formatting it to NTFS (not really advised, but should work), or splitting the RPA into 4 GB chunks (you might not be able to do so by yourself).

Or, take the easy way out and purchase a NTFS pendrive; Most newer sticks should already come with that.

(Technically speaking, you could format it to anything, but flash drives usually are not GPT tables and thus, some partitions types might not work so well. Keep in mind this will destroy all your files, so make backups before. Changing the partition may also void your warranty. If really unsure, pay some tech support to do it - so if it doesn't work, they refund you a USB stick.)

DickMcFuck

Aug 13, 2019
Your pendrive is probably formatted as , which has a maximum file size of 4GB. It is a common format for pendrives.

Try formatting it to NTFS (not really advised, but should work), or splitting the RPA into 4 GB chunks (you might not be able to do so by yourself).

Or, take the easy way out and purchase a NTFS pendrive; Most newer sticks should already come with that.

(Technically speaking, you could format it to anything, but flash drives usually are not GPT tables and thus, some partitions types might not work so well. Keep in mind this will destroy all your files, so make backups before. Changing the partition may also void your warranty. If really unsure, pay some tech support to do it - so if it doesn't work, they refund you a USB stick.)
the sticks are brand new, i bought them last month. of the ca. 120 games HHG isnt the largest and the only game where this has happened so far.

Nov 24, 2019
the sticks are brand new, i bought them last month. of the ca. 120 games HHG isnt the largest and the only game where this has happened so far.
This is a file system limitation; If any file size exceeds 4 GB, it will have a write failure.

If you wish to brute-force test it, just use a simple program to write a file full of zeroes (I won't give you one because dd exists) and watch it fail after writing 4 GB of data. If the data is HHG images or a garbage file full of zeroes is meaningless :p

When I said "new", I meant "newly produced with latest technology", not "newly acquired".
Again, if that really annoys you and you don't mind potentially voiding the warranty, consider formatting the partition from FAT32 to NTFS.

WSmith

Jul 25, 2018
This is a file system limitation; If any file size exceeds 4 GB, it will have a write failure.

If you wish to brute-force test it, just use a simple program to write a file full of zeroes (I won't give you one because dd exists) and watch it fail after writing 4 GB of data. If the data is HHG images or a garbage file full of zeroes is meaningless :p

When I said "new", I meant "newly produced with latest technology", not "newly acquired".
Again, if that really annoys you and you don't mind potentially voiding the warranty, consider formatting the partition from FAT32 to NTFS.
But he said twice now that it has nothing to do with the file size. In his last post he stated that HHG wasn't even the largest game he used on that stick. So how could writing limitation of FAT be a problem here? If it was, other games would have that too, no? :unsure:

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
But he said twice now that it has nothing to do with the file size. In his last post he stated that HHG wasn't even the largest game he used on that stick. So how could writing limitation of FAT be a problem here? If it was, other games would have that too, no? :unsure:
It's not the overall game size. From their post, they are copying the game uncompressed (i.e. not the zip file, but the actual game folder). The file in question 0images.rpa is over 7GB in size, which is what is causing the problem.

The previous solution of backing up everything on the drive, and then reformatting it to NTFS will solve the problem.

The drive WILL be wiped clean when you do this, so make sure you have a copy on another drive, OR on your desktop somewhere first.

:cool: Eric Grey

Nov 24, 2019
Exactly as EricGrey said.

You could read more by just googling about FAT restrictions (there are thousands of articles about that). For sake of reference, I'll throw here the first link I've found on Google:

(For the record, Linux can handle FAT and NTFS nicely, but not NTFS under hybrid shutdown / hibernation).

Last edited:
Reactions: WSmith

WSmith

Jul 25, 2018
Exactly as EricGrey said.

You could read more by just googling about FAT restrictions (there are thousands of articles about that). For sake of reference, I'll throw here the first link I've found on Google:

(For the record, Linux can handle FAT and NTFS nicely, but not NTFS under hybrid shutdown / hibernation).
I forgot about the uncompressed state. My bad! Sorry :censored:

AhoyLaddies

Aug 31, 2020
Just wanted to say that the H-Scenes for the Halloween Update were really well done. Thanks Komisari! The choice of music for each one was pretty great too. I also enjoyed the camera cuts and transitions, those were pretty solid. Scenarios were played out pretty well, I think.

Can't wait for the next release!

4.40 star(s) 207 Votes