RaveBlade

Nov 15, 2020
I can understand the assessments of many here, but they seem to be almost fundamentally negative lately. Why? If you want to criticize at least try to offer solutions or just be patient. The situation can't be healthy for a developer when some make it their business to bash on it. Please come down a bit and give the developer some space to focus on the development.

Ps. no one has to pay anything, if others do it because they think the Project will be successful, live with it.

ayy

Sep 14, 2016
I can understand the assessments of many here, but they seem to be almost fundamentally negative lately. Why? If you want to criticize at least try to offer solutions or just be patient. The situation can't be healthy for a developer when some make it their business to bash on it. Please come down a bit and give the developer some space to focus on the development.

Ps. no one has to pay anything, if others do it because they think the Project will be successful, live with it.
The problem, I think, is that the longer the dev waits to release, the higher the chance of receiving an overproduced game and an "outdated" feel. Unless dev has the golden touch and will release another undeniable banger, theres a chance that when you play the game you'll feel like you're game that was made in 2020 instead of one that is made in 2022.

I know I didn't word that the best way, but I hope you see where I'm getting at with this.

Reactions: Komisari

Perfect S

Oct 20, 2019

People are indeed free to just "pay and wait" like you said, but they are also free to express their concerns/criticism for this situation. Echo chambers are never healthy.

Syr96

Aug 5, 2019

What about a daily stream like DarkCookie? He also takes a long time to complete a new version. But you can see him working almost every day, and you can see that it takes time.

Or, like many devs do, a short weekly update. Ideally like DPC, who says exactly what he did and tagged. Is a 15-20 minute effort for the dev.

There are many ways to be transparent as a developer without it costing you a lot. And I think that's where the discussion comes from. No one can tell if Komi is really working or not. Or how long. Trust in the devs as a whole is dwindling. Which is partly due to devs like Icstor or Irphaeus (the latter released an update after a year of "hard work", which another dev managed in 3 weeks).

The basic question is what is a dev obliged to do who gets money from Paetron. For me, it's relatively easy. I expect the work performance of an employee. 9 hours work per day, including 1-hour break, 5 days per week. 30 days vacation per year. Unfortunately, that can't be checked at all, and everyone has to use their subjective feeling to make a judgment whether the dev's work is appropriate for the salary. This is normally measured by updates. But you can't do that here

Reactions: RaveBlade

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
theres a chance that when you play the game you'll feel like you're game that was made in 2020 instead of one that is made in 2022.
I don't really understand what you mean here. Except for high end AAA products, games don't age this fast, and given we have a Koikatsu based game here, it already is outdated from the beginning. I might be biased though since I don't mind a lower technical standard if the game is good. Still playing Master of Magic every once in a while ...

People are indeed free to just "pay and wait" like you said, but they are also free to express their concerns/criticism for this situation. Echo chambers are never healthy.
This is of course correct, but I have two caveats: one is the tone in which you come here - often into a discussion you have not been part of previously. Many criticisms are quite aggressive to begin with, others have an "I knew it all along" slant which also is more arrogant than helpful. The other caveat is that the same criticism over and over again does not contribute to a discussion because that was already had. Of course the latter is always a problem in the webs.

Reactions: Kantanshi

LordKartoosh

Mar 19, 2018
Some of my comments weren't worded the best way, and I would like to apologize Komisari and everyone else here for it. Truth is I've been burned in the past by Indie and Triple A devs, as I'm sure most gamers feel the same way, and I might have sounded a bit too cynic while expressing myself.

I still stand with the sentiment that 18+ months is far too long. Still, I should have expressed myself in a more fitting manner.

Fuscen

Dec 21, 2020
Some of my comments weren't worded the best way, and I would like to apologize Komisari and everyone else here for it.

I've been burned in the past by Indie and Triple A devs.
Ay all good bruv we're all human, and your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Don't gotta type like a politician to be accepted on a forum.

Besides, fairly certain most of us have experienced the same "ambitious but under-performing" situation at least once (Daikatana, Spore, Duke Nukem Forever, Cyberpunk, Star Citizen, etc.), so some level of skepticism/cynicism is always warranted when it comes to gaming.

Reactions: Komisari

RaveBlade

Nov 15, 2020
Yes some address important Points like an Echo chamber and the long Duration which is also a valid Point.
This discussion, however, is already on a different Level than a few Pages before where only someone looks in and says
"Hey I've always known that the Dev just want's to grab Money".

And I think it is great what Kartoosh says, to be polite is not a question whether you are Online or in real Life. (or a Politician ;)

No question, for the future there has to be a better Plan or Structure to meet the demands of the People here. However, at this Moment he should invest his 8 Hours of Work-time fully in completion.

Fuscen

Dec 21, 2020
to be polite is not a question whether you are Online or in real Life. (or a Politician)
I used "politician speak" as an off-hand to "layers of bs in fear of offending anyone" rather than politeness. Obviously people should be respectful (golden rule and all that), but sometimes opinions are best expressed frankly, especially since Kartoosh's is formed around sound basis.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
An Advice for the dev, i feel like at this point the dev has received enough feedback and the priority is obviously clear to push out the update, the dev has set a time limit for 2022 so that's like 6 more months, i would suggest to cut off social media and checking the thread frequently and just focus on developing the game so that they can work without distractions
I would strongly advise against it. Depending on the usage, rearranging priorities and/or setting up a schedule where you only do it 7pm-7:30pm or similar could work. Completely just focusing on work however will drive a person crazy. You can do it for a limited time if in need, I did it myself for quite some time while studying for my final exams back in another century, even drove a couple hundred kilometers to my grandparents where nobody knew me to be as distraction free as possible - but you still need relaxation, you still need recreation, you still need a social life - 6 months is far too long to "cut off".

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
An Advice for the dev, i feel like at this point the dev has received enough feedback and the priority is obviously clear to push out the update, the dev has set a time limit for 2022 so that's like 6 more months, i would suggest to cut off social media and checking the thread frequently and just focus on developing the game so that they can work without distractions
I work on the game when I can, but when I have free time, I check social media and do whatever I want.
It's like saying; Hey, you know your free time that you use for x? Well, you should cut that and work.

No, it doesn't work like that.

But yeah, my priority is finishing the update.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
wait a sec what do you mean "when I can"? This does not sound like you treat it like a full time job, maybe you just phrased it wrong?
A "full time job" is 8 hours per day. Self employed often additionally have a couple of hours but there are still some left. Also people have families and so on. Maybe "when I can" isn't the correct phrasing, but devs need free time, too.

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
wait a sec what do you mean "when I can"? This does not sound like you treat it like a full time job, maybe you just phrased it wrong?
Yes, when I can... 1 or 2 hours per day. :Kappa:

I'm sorry for the sarcasm, I don't really know how to take this comment.
I'm working when I'm on the PC, sometimes, I just have to go out to buy something, cook, eat, or I just make myself a coffee. Gladly, I don't have to be working SPECIFIC hours thanks to Patreon and etc, but rest assured that I work even more than a full-time job. Today I woke up at 11 AM, and sat on the computer at 1 PM, I didn't stop working yet and I'll be working until 2 AM or so, so I can play something from 2 AM to 4 AM and then go to sleep.
That would be a normal day without any interruption. Sometimes some friends want to play something at 10 PM or so. So I play without any problem.

I'm not a guy who goes to parties or spends all the day outside his house, I'm literally all day at the computer, you can easily check it out by checking discord and my status or see how active I am in the community.
Even, look;
1655420963006.png
And I closed and opened it like 3 times before.

"When I can" maybe could be changed to "Whenever possible". So, that whenever possible is basically all day, but sometimes I have to do stuff. That's why the "When I can."

My priority, over anything, is HHG.

1 or 2 hours per day

PrimeGuy

Dec 16, 2019
Advice for non-patreons . Learn the difference between to support someone and to buy something .
I feel like a lot of patreons need to know the difference, too. Maybe not so many in this thread, but elsewhere.

GoodOlBob

Nov 13, 2021
Komisari
After playing your beautiful game for the 17th time I had a question or two for you
What would you say is the most important mechanic in the game and why is it fishing?
Did you spend time with professional or competitive fishermen to design the mechanic? Are you one yourself? Are you a fish?
Will there be an online multiplayer mod to compete against other players?
Will there be a fish-lady trying to join the guild at some point and MC won't be able to resist getting his fishing rod out?
I think it's time we had answers to the real questions.

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
He has a personal vendetta against fish and will not rest until the last fish is caught. This all goes back to his last life when he was struck down with a trout. Therefore, he now puts everything in his power into action to protect us from the scaled gilled danger that fish definitely are.

4.40 star(s) 207 Votes