Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
An incredible game that's worth playing, the story is original, and you get attached to characters who each have very distinct personalities. There's a nice little RPG system that's easy to pick up.
Just a great game overall ^^
Sure, just as long as you don't mind waiting nearly half a decade for an update.

Xanatos

May 6, 2019
Bro 6k buck a month should put you in the middle-high class in the US , this scamming thing seems really profitable ;)))
Not really, also he's not getting that amount, the site takes their cut as well. It is astounding though that people would still be supporting this project with so little return over the past couple of years (if not more).

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
After everything, 6k in patreon donations probably comes out to lower class on it's own.

Still, that ought to be a livable amount of money, especially if Komi isn't in an area with a high cost of living. They probably could go full time if they wanted to.

Which would help, since this update is clearly way too fucking much.

• Angry
Reactions: NukeUmbrella

kenny

Aug 5, 2016
After everything, 6k in patreon donations probably comes out to lower class on it's own.

Still, that ought to be a livable amount of money, especially if Komi isn't in an area with a high cost of living. They probably could go full time if they wanted to.

Which would help, since this update is clearly way too fucking much.
m8, you don't need to go really far back in this very thread to see that he is from Argentina.

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what the CoL in Argentina is though, and I'm too lazy to look it up. It's immaterial anyway. Komi's not really obligated to do shit; it's just more feasible if they live somewhere where the 2-3k bucks they get after all the fatcats take their cut is a reasonable wage to live off of.

People act like Komi is obliged to their patrons, but the fact of the matter is that that's not how Patronage works, and never has been. The patron is always free to withdraw their patronage - the artist is always free to just fuck off and decline to make more art. There are standards of politeness, but it's not a business transaction, it's a charity.

kenny

Aug 5, 2016
First of all, "Patreon currently takes between 8% and 12%", literally from their site so I wonder what ass you pulled that 2-3k.
Second, patreon isn't a charity, the author PROMISES to deliver a product in exchange for financial support (you know ,what patronage is), and this stupid notion that this isn't the case and that it's a charity is why that site is filled with so many scams and low ethic creators.

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
That isn't what patronage is, though. Patronage is giving money to an artisan to support their art. Supporting their art does not, and never has, included a physical return on the investment. Classical artists worked for years without anything to show for their noble patrons, and often never produced something the patron got to show.

A product is expected, but it is not promised. Not by default. That's not patronage. That's pre-ordering.

I was also not just including patreon's cut in the estimate (which was, I admit, super fuzzy, because I don't really care about the exact end total). Governments also take taxes, and a number of other third parties could get involved in situations Komi probably isn't currently in. The economy is not simple, and revenue doesn't directly translate into income with a simple equation.

kenny

Aug 5, 2016
No, it is PROMISED. Patreon literally works on that premise. The fact that it's taken advantage of is the fault of the creator for not delivering (like kickstarter) and the patrons for enabling the behavior.
And revenue absolutely does translate into income with a SET of simple equations, depending on the income bracket of your country. And if you honestly believe he pays anywhere near 50% tax (a tax rating argentina doesn't even have) or he pays anything to illusionsoft for using koikatsu, then I have a couple of bridges to sell to you.

• Angry
Reactions: Karnewarrior

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
I am sorry to interrupt this lovely discussion about what being a patreon is and all that stuff, but are there any news about the game? Last post on patreon was in december.

hoshimota

Sep 18, 2023
Short version? Probably a classic case of lazy person goes into indie game dev because they lack the discipline and motivation to get and hold down a decent "real" job. At first it's fun and exciting, then eventually it starts to feel like a job (surprise!!!) and they struggle to keep working on it, soon they cannot force themself to work on it consistently. Months go by and they make excuses (hey, it used to work in school?) - rather than admitting they are not going to finish what they started.

Patreon really enables people like that to continue being like that.

4.50 star(s) 206 Votes