VN Ren'Py Abandoned High Life [Ep. 1 Elite] [Erosion]

4.70 star(s) 26 Votes
May 4, 2017
All these devs start with hopes and big dreams. They make something good but it doesn't start out as well as they hoped and they give up. I mean wtf, yeah reality sucks but the only way to succeed is to not give up. It's a shame really.

Reactions: Tom10 and BonusDuck

BonusDuck

Oct 22, 2017
All these devs start with hopes and big dreams. They make something good but it doesn't start out as well as they hoped and they give up. I mean wtf, yeah reality sucks but the only way to succeed is to not give up. It's a shame really.
I disagree that it didn't go as well as they'd hoped, they were up to $1000 per month a few days after episode 1, so there was everything to play for... but they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. I think the problem was they didn't know where they were going with it after episode 1. When embarking on such a project, it's probably best you know and plan out the story you want to tell from beginning to end before you start out

Reactions: LaPein
May 4, 2017
they were up to $1000 per month
That depends in some countries yes it is enough but in others it's no where near close enough. For example I pay 750 euro for the apartment I live in so 1000$ is not gonna be enough. You do have a point tho many people don't know where to take the story.

MizRo

Jul 15, 2018
That depends in some countries yes it is enough but in others it's no where near close enough. For example I pay 750 euro for the apartment I live in so 1000$ is not gonna be enough. You do have a point tho many people don't know where to take the story.
Especially since you can't pay 750 euros with dollars

May 4, 2017
Especially since you can't pay 750 euros with dollars
Mon
It

It could've climbed much, much higher than $1000 though if they'd stayed the course.
Agreed. In order to succeed you need consistency. Most people ignore long term gains over short term satisfaction. Doing this is like going to the gym, you can't build the perfect body that you want in one try.

Reactions: BonusDuck

BigBrotherrrr

Aug 28, 2017
Jeez, guys, no, it's not too bad that it's abandoned, no, you shoudn't pledge, because this guy is a fraud. He made a demo, then left it like that, and then collected money for promises. Now there're even no promises anymore. So unless you are the dev himself, pretending to be a general folk on this site, stop writing nonsense.

RG80100

Feb 23, 2018
Jeez, guys, no, it's not too bad that it's abandoned, no, you shoudn't pledge, because this guy is a fraud. He made a demo, then left it like that, and then collected money for promises. Now there're even no promises anymore. So unless you are the dev himself, pretending to be a general folk on this site, stop writing nonsense.
You are rough, he make a soundtrack too :ROFLMAO:

AkarkiJoe

Feb 2, 2019
Its so sad this guy has disappeared... I played many of these shitty VNs but Highlife was a real quality. There is huge potential in it, wondering if there is anyone else outside wants to continue or re-start this project. With the same concept this one is obviously a gold mine... so bad I'm stupid for programming/drawing... :)

Reactions: Tom10 and BonusDuck

215303j

The following opinion is probably not going to be popular but it's what I think:

The game looks absolutely awesome and has a MC who is both extremely pretty but also likeable as a character.

But the problem is in the scope. It's way too big, with way too many possible routes to take. Lesbian romance? Check! Vanilla? Check! Incest options? Check! Interracial? Check! Slut path? Check! Virgin path? Check! Etc. etc. The devs likely got overwhelmed, realised that it would not be possible to please everyone, got even more confused and threw in the towel...

I simply think that they didn't think this one through properly.

Tom10

May 25, 2017
The following opinion is probably not going to be popular but it's what I think:

The game looks absolutely awesome and has a MC who is both extremely pretty but also likeable as a character.

But the problem is in the scope. It's way too big, with way too many possible routes to take. Lesbian romance? Check! Vanilla? Check! Incest options? Check! Interracial? Check! Slut path? Check! Virgin path? Check! Etc. etc. The devs likely got overwhelmed, realised that it would not be possible to please everyone, got even more confused and threw in the towel...

Any route is better than no route though. There will definitely be a following for whichever path the dev chooses, and the dev could’ve easily made good money for months. Just like Acting Lessons, a lot of people hated the ending, but yet most of them still follow the dev to his new game now.

Reactions: Grelk

sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017

That's my impression too. A lot of people shouting "scam!" here, but there was clearly a lot of effort - and honestly, heart - put into the initial release. Way more so than you'd expect from someone who intended from the start to abandon the project.

Seriously, compare this to any number of one-version-and-gone "demos" with dialogue machine-translated from Russian and generic Daz models designed to milk a few initial-hype bucks from Patreon. It's night and day.

215303j

Any route is better than no route though. There will definitely be a following for whichever path the dev chooses, and the dev could’ve easily made good money for months. Just like Acting Lessons, a lot of people hated the ending, but yet most of them still follow the dev to his new game now.
The difference is that with Acting Lessons, I presume that the dev knew exactly where he was going with the story all along. The plot twist was maybe a bit too brutal for many fans, but it made sense in the context.

In this game, it would rather mean that the devs either skipped several paths or implemented the paths one-by-one. Based on what we have, the scope of the game could at least be similar as GGGB, but with a much more time consuming art style. It was simply too ambitious.

A Wife and Mother suffers a bit from the same problem.

Reactions: Grelk
4.70 star(s) 26 Votes