qvb222

May 7, 2017
Opening a savegame from 0.1.9 crashes with what looks like an encoding-related error

While running game code:
File "game/version_check.rpy", line 1865, in <module>
File "game/functions.rpy", line 310, in __init__
File "game/data.rpy", line 1351, in __init__
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 11: ordinal not in range(128)

Just to make sure, I did check and the same savegame loads fine in 0.1.9

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
Opening a savegame from 0.1.9 crashes with what looks like an encoding-related error

While running game code:
File "game/version_check.rpy", line 1865, in <module>
File "game/functions.rpy", line 310, in __init__
File "game/data.rpy", line 1351, in __init__
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 11: ordinal not in range(128)

Just to make sure, I did check and the same savegame loads fine in 0.1.9
Nothing I can do about it. Finish the scene in 0.1.9 and go to your room or any other location outside a scene/event/appointment and save again. Then reload the save in 0.2.0.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' u'binoculars/beach/Beach_yoga4_Amy.webp'>:
File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 531, in execute_call_screen
store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
Exception: Could not load image u'binoculars/beach/Beach_yoga4_Amy.webp': error('Failed to decode WEBP',)

Yoga scenes causes game crash ? can someone help?
I just replayed the scene with Amy present. There is nothgin wrong with the image in my system.

Reactions: nuttyboy

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
use_fixed_resolution_720.txt
btw - new install--cant help
By new install do you mean that you have NEVER installed any previous versions and/or mods? If you have you might be getting conflict from other 'saves'. if you look in the folder \Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Local\User Data\Roaming\Renpy is their a folder Island-1499865023 (yours may have a different name or number)? If so delete it and thne try to reinstall the game and do the use_fixed_resolution_720.txt fix and see what happens.

qvb222

May 7, 2017
Nothing I can do about it. Finish the scene in 0.1.9 and go to your room or any other location outside a scene/event/appointment and save again. Then reload the save in 0.2.0.
Tried that. Went to my room, saved. Same error in 0.2.0. Waited till the next day (which incidentally even included a weekend). Same result :(

qvb222

May 7, 2017
Did some further testing. 0.2.0 refuses to load any save still on my system, going back to 1.3.3 and even older ones. Always the same error when trying to convert.

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
Did some further testing. 0.2.0 refuses to load any save still on my system, going back to 1.3.3 and even older ones. Always the same error when trying to convert.
Are you windows, mac or linux? And what language is your os?
In your 0.1.9 open the console and type this:
g_chat = cl_data_topics()
See if you also get a crash

Edit: Forget about all I wrote so far. Please unzip the attached file into your game folder and overwrite the existing data file.
After that try again in 0.2.0.

Please let me know if it works after that.

DuckSwim

Jan 19, 2018
It's so much fun to to have the thread back in "all crazy mode" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
- why is there not more stuff for my favorite girl <enter girl's name here>?
:D

Fan art : I didn't get any content

Dawn : What's up sweetie?
Heather : Didn't get anything, not a single thing ...
Dawn : Come now sweetie it can't be that bad
Heather : Darkhound has forgotten me ... stuck in Amy's tits and a..
Dawn : Oh lol, stuck or stuck-stuck? :D
Heather : Dawn :rolleyes: ... ... .. . There is this image, Yvette showed me *smirk* he's stuck-stuck :p

xx 01 copy.jpg

qvb222

May 7, 2017
Are you windows, mac or linux? And what language is your os?
In your 0.1.9 open the console and type this:
g_chat = cl_data_topics()
See if you also get a crash

Edit: Forget about all I wrote so far. Please unzip the attached file into your game folder and overwrite the existing data file.
After that try again in 0.2.0.

Please let me know if it works after that.
That did the trick! Works now.

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
darkhound1 Played a bit and suddenly got the same error, this time located script.rpy, line 818.
I have to replace all the "str" (string) functions by unicode functions to get rid of all code page problems.
More than 800 occurrences. I can search and mass replace, but I don't want to do this for everyone without testing it.

I have done it for you with all rpyc files. Extract the attached zip and overwrite all files in your game folder when asked. Hopefully that fixes the encoding problem for good.

Arxius

Jan 11, 2020
I had the same problem, so step by step specially for you:
1: Open your Island game folder
2: Go to folder in there, named Game and open it
3: In the folder Game, click on your right mouse button and click NEW TXT DOCUMENT
4: When it is created, edit it and NAME it use_fixed_resolution_720

5: MAKE SURE YOU NAMED IT use_fixed_resolution_720 AND NOT use_fixed_resolution_720.txt (the .txt part is already done and people are doing the error of putting it in the name too when the document is txt itself already!)

6: You need to have txt file in your Game foulder named use_fixed_resolution_720
7: If you do it right, the game will run
8: If the game don't run, you put .txt in the name and it is wrong!

Am I wrong or all those people are just naming their files just always wrong? :D

qvb222

May 7, 2017
I have to replace all the "str" (string) functions by unicode functions to get rid of all code page problems.
More than 800 occurrences. I can search and mass replace, but I don't want to do this for everyone without testing it.

I have done it for you with all rpyc files. Extract the attached zip and overwrite all files in your game folder when asked. Hopefully that fixes the encoding problem for good.
Oh man, that's horrible. Ren'Py is still based on Python 2.7, is it? Those encoding problems were the reason I finally switched to 3.x two or three years ago...

Thanks a lot for these hotfixes!

SiJa

Engaged Member
Feb 21, 2018
darkhound1 Love the new update.

I did run into a little problem.
I missed the second meeting with Joy to ask her how you can help one of the girls.
I then found the meeting will not then appear the next day or even any day after that.
I also can not ask at reception to reschedule the meeting ??

May need some code to allow it to reschedule the appointment, just in case other players do the same ??
I had a backup save so was not an issue to go back.

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 219 Votes