BDMick

Nov 26, 2017
Wow, that is amazing, I just wanted to post something about save games :)

I'd like to propose something for the next version of Holiday Island which would greatly help me manage the massive amount of save games that I have accumulated up until now (~1300, all of them unsharable full saves, naturally ;)).

Is there a way to know before loading a save what game day and time of day it represents? If not, this is something I'd love to have: exactly that info in the upper right corner of the save's thumbnail. What do you all think? Would that help you as well? Maybe this is easy to implement? It could look like this for example:
1632661073428.png

ps.: I know that I could always enter that info in the comment to the save. But it would simply be more convenient if this was shown automatically. That info is stored in the save file anyway.

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
Sara.jpg

Version 0.3.1 will soon be ready for release

Hello everyone,

Sara wants you to know something...
It's still a secret, so please don't tell anyone :)

Version 0.3.1 is almost ready for beta testing, so you can expect a release in the beginning of October.

There will be a ton of cool new features and a lot of new and reworked renders and scenes. For a more detailed list of what's to come, please check the current development news:

Take care my friends,

Darkhound

norb82

Sep 19, 2018
Public update on Patreon,
More Rel. 3.1. news,
That Yvette sunset appointment must be some really cool event as it gets the second postpone :) But this release will be awesome even without it :)

BDMick

Nov 26, 2017
How to migrate to the new version of Holiday Island

As we won't have to wait long for the release of Holiday Island 3.1, here is my tried and tested recipe to migrate your current game to the most recent version - including your save files. This is for Windows 10 users!

So when the eagerly awaited moment arrives (early October, see Bantry's post), do the following:
  • Just to be on the safe side, locate the following folder on you system and copy all files therein to a safe location (do not delete them):
    • c:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\Island-<some number>\
  • Download the new version from the front page (zip-file) when it becomes available.
  • Copy the folder at the top level of that zip-file to a location of your choice.
    • Do not copy the new content to the old game's folder.
    • Alternatively, create an appropriately named new folder in a location of your choice for the new version of the game, and copy the content of the zip-file to that location.
    • Download any available patches for the new version. Copy the content of the "game"-folder inside the zip to the HI "game"-folder.
  • That is it, you won't have to do anything else
    • Do not copy your old saves to the new game's "games\saves"-folder.
    • This approach should also prevent trouble with the "persistent" file.
    • Start the new game. All your previous save files should immediately be available when you click on "Load".
    • It seems HI automatically detects all the save files in the "AppData" folder. So if you don't touch them, they will be available for your new HI version.
    • If you create new saves, they are created in both the "AppData" folder and your HI folder under "games\saves".

If your new game crashes when you load an old save:
  • Have you used the Companion Mod in the past? You will have to reinstall it for the new version, otherwise the game will not load your old save files.
  • If your saves still don't load, delete the "persistent" file in both save game locations ("AppData" folder, "games\saves", see above).
After all that: have fun playing Holiday Island 3.1 :)

SiJa

Engaged Member
Feb 21, 2018
How to migrate to the new version of Holiday Island

As we won't have to wait long for the release of Holiday Island 3.1, here is my tried and tested recipe to migrate your current game to the most recent version - including your save files. This is for Windows 10 users!

So when the eagerly awaited moment arrives (early October, see Bantry's post), do the following:
  • Just to be on the safe side, locate the following folder on you system and copy all files therein to a safe location (do not delete them):
    • c:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\Island-<some number>\
  • Download the new version from the front page (zip-file) when it becomes available.
  • Copy the folder at the top level of that zip-file to a location of your choice.
    • Do not copy the new content to the old game's folder.
    • Alternatively, create an appropriately named new folder in a location of your choice for the new version of the game, and copy the content of the zip-file to that location.
    • Download any available patches for the new version. Copy the content of the "game"-folder inside the zip to the HI "game"-folder.
  • That is it, you won't have to do anything else
    • Do not copy your old saves to the new game's "games\saves"-folder.
    • This approach should also prevent trouble with the "persistent" file.
    • Start the new game. All your previous save files should immediately be available when you click on "Load".
    • It seems HI automatically detects all the save files in the "AppData" folder. So if you don't touch them, they will be available for your new HI version.
    • If you create new saves, they are created in both the "AppData" folder and your HI folder under "games\saves".

If your new game crashes when you load an old save:
  • Have you used the Companion Mod in the past? You will have to reinstall it for the new version, otherwise the game will not load your old save files.
  • If your saves still don't load, delete the "persistent" file in both save game locations ("AppData" folder, "games\saves", see above).
After all that: have fun playing Holiday Island 3.1 :)
You can copy you're save files over into a new game folder, it was just the Persistent file.

Don't think the Persistent file problem should be an issue from now on, as was due to a newer version of Renpy.
But that needs to be tested first with the new update to know for sure ;)

BDMick

Nov 26, 2017
You can copy you're save files over into a new game folder, it was just the Persistent file.

Don't think the Persistent file problem should be an issue from now on, as was due to a newer version of Renpy.
But that needs to be tested first with the new update to know for sure ;)
Yes, you can certainly do that if you want. However, it is not necessary, and I wanted to keep the recipe as simple as possible.

And yes, we will see about the "persistent" file :)

Reactions: SiJa

alfonsino1976

Sep 20, 2020
Wow, that is amazing, I just wanted to post something about save games :)

I'd like to propose something for the next version of Holiday Island which would greatly help me manage the massive amount of save games that I have accumulated up until now (~1300, all of them unsharable full saves, naturally ;)).

Is there a way to know before loading a save what game day and time of day it represents? If not, this is something I'd love to have: exactly that info in the upper right corner of the save's thumbnail. What do you all think? Would that help you as well? Maybe this is easy to implement? It could look like this for example:
View attachment 1423317

ps .: Sé que siempre puedo ingresar esa información en el comentario para guardar. Pero simplemente sería más conveniente si esto se mostrara automáticamente. Esa información se almacena en el archivo de guardado de todos modos.
[/CITA]

puedes compartir las partida guardadas? por favor

BDMick

Nov 26, 2017
puedes compartir las partida guardadas? por favor
Google translate tells me that you want me to share my saves. I don't do that due to the personal information contained within them (I mentioned "unsharable"). Sorry.
Also, you will have to play the game yourself to get the full Holiday Island experience and see all its content. Save files are not suitable for that.
Additionally, please, write in English as this is an English language forum.

alfonsino1976

Sep 20, 2020
Google translate tells me that you want me to share my saves. I don't do that due to the personal information contained within them (I mentioned "unsharable"). Sorry.
Also, you will have to play the game yourself to get the full Holiday Island experience and see all its content. Save files are not suitable for that.
Additionally, please, write in English as this is an English language forum.
The truth is, how bad are you to share that if it's cool

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
Not a question of good, bad or anything else. Holiday Island is a Sandbox game and there is no such thing as a 'Full Save'. At least not one, that will allow someone to add it to a new game, and see everything since 80% of the game is not repeatable and if the game isn't played and certain sequence of events and achievements do not occur the game will lock up, sometimes described as 'Borking'.

So you have two options:
1. Play the game yourself.​
2. Delete the game and find something else to play.​

BDMick

Nov 26, 2017
Look, I clearly stated the reasons why I don't do that. And a number of other contributors have also told you that there is not much sense in using save files, anyway. So, instead of griping about some stranger (me) not sharing their saves, you should be playing the game and have fun.
And as I am such a bad, bad person, I will share with you the most valuable advice I have given (I think) in the past on this thread bundled in this post:
Especially the first option would be something for you. For the others you will have to have played HI for a longer time (i.e. have had lots of fun). But those should still give you ideas on how to make the most out of HI.

Currently, I am investigating how much sex you can possibly have in a week. I will post that, too, soon.

So enjoy and have a great Sunday. Even if you don't play the game.

junior366

Jun 20, 2017
Look, I clearly stated the reasons why I don't do that. And a number of other contributors have also told you that there is not much sense in using save files, anyway. So, instead of griping about some stranger (me) not sharing their saves, you should be playing the game and have fun.
And as I am such a bad, bad person, I will share with you the most valuable advice I have given (I think) in the past on this thread bundled in this post:
Especially the first option would be something for you. For the others you will have to have played HI for a longer time (i.e. have had lots of fun). But those should still give you ideas on how to make the most out of HI.

Currently, I am investigating how much sex you can possibly have in a week. I will post that, too, soon.

Wait, I thought there was no sex in the game!

gam2000

Apr 12, 2021

Yes. An oldie but a goodie...

Reactions: BDMick
4.10 star(s) 213 Votes