zapallbugs

Engaged Member
Jul 10, 2018
Because Darkhounds knowledge and skill level is absurdly high. Plus he has done large amounts of renders for a long, long time (years before holiday island).

So there is a lot of room for tradeoffs before quality is affected in a manner normally associated with large scale production.

As to the scale of production itself? Well, classic artisan rendering (which is how pretty much everything in places like deviant art is made etc) is 1/day pr. render.

Holiday Island is around 10.000 renders so it would take 25-30 years of normal rendering, every single day without any breaks or vacations, to match.

I'd say it is pyramid size and scale production :)
Maybe Darkhound's reference to "mass production" is because he has quite a number of graphics cards working in parallel on different renders?

Last edited:

zapallbugs

Engaged Member
Jul 10, 2018
Darkhound are you limited by your PC ?
I believe he uses a number of them in parallel, each with multiple graphics cards. He posted about that here. But that information may be outdated by now as it was some time ago. I think he also mentioned one of the main reasons for using Patreon was to get money to pay for all that hardware.

DuckSwim

Jan 19, 2018
People, please :)

You are reading too much into it.
Please stop the speculations (also they are way off).

All what was said was, that I do artisan, he do production of scale, "mass" (due to game demands).
Which results in two types of eye candy and that's a good thing ;)

Last edited:

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
I shouldn't have brought up "mass production"...
Well, since I did - here are some explanations.
As DuckSwim already said, there is a difference between a render where you go the extra mile for best quality (you can do with your current skill, including post work, etc.). That's what is done when creating a single render for DA or also for F95 as done by DuckSwim. This can easily take several hours or even days for just a single render.

Nowadays the "machine render time" is no longer that relevant. Not even with "just" 2 fast GPUs. The bottleneck is the human factor by a huge margin. Scene setup and composition takes far longer than the render itself. Since you can work on the next render while the PC renders the last one, as long as the machine render time is lower than your time, getting better or faster hardware won't help. With the last upgrades I'm easily at that point for >90% of the renders. At a certain point, even heat generation is a factor, especially in summer. Imagine a 700 Watt heater running in your room 10 hours a day...

"Mass production" is more like creating 10 renders or even more in a day. If the machine render time is 5 minutes or 15 is not important. More than 20 renders a day is more or less impossible to do, even for me.
I'm pretty sure I've explained a "standard" workflow somewhere already.
There are several steps when creating a number of renders in the same environment.
1) Scene and environment setup - including all probs and basic lighting (this is necessary for consistentcy between renders - you don't have to care about it when doing single renders)
2) Character creation - Doesn't happen that often now for HI, but had to be done with Sara, Daniela
3) Character adjustment based on scene/event - This includes selection of clothes, makeup, etc.
4) For each render - camera placement, character pose and expression setup, lighting adjustments, body adjustments (yes, I really do that based on the pose), clothes adjustments (poke through), hair adjustement, several test renders, especially for the first in a series of renders

Nr 1) is not done that often. E.g. only basically once for a new environment. Depending on the environment, this can take weeks in extreme cases (like with the 6 areas in the underground lab)
Nr 2) is also not done that often - but sometimes there are special scenes with modifed characters (e.g. muscle growth)
Nr 3) has to be done for each scene/event, maybe even more than once if a character undresses
Nr 4) this is where the "mass production" comes in - especially if there is little or no camera movement, the environment, character, lighting is reused several time. Only the pose and expression of the character(s) is/are changed.
This is the only time where the machine rendering can be slower than the human factor. But only if the clothes and hair play nice and don't need manual intervention. When the camera position is changed a lot, or the character placement is changed a lot, you almost always need to adjust the lighing as well. Now comes the tricky part - consistency with your other renders in the same scene and still good figure lighting. This takes time and test renders. So in that case, machine render time is not relevant. A test render normaly doesn't take longer than 1 minute.

racnarox

Jul 11, 2017
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 98, in _window_auto_callback
_window_show()
File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 60, in _window_show
renpy.with_statement(trans)
File "game/script.rpy", line 1281, in execute
File "game/script.rpy", line 1284, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 2336, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 2338, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 2339, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 4, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 5, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 9, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 11, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 33, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 36, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 36, in keywords
NameError: name 'nemod_start_py' is not defined

SiJa

Engaged Member
Feb 21, 2018
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 98, in _window_auto_callback
_window_show()
File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 60, in _window_show
renpy.with_statement(trans)
File "game/script.rpy", line 1284, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 2338, in execute
File "game/gui_screens.rpy", line 2339, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 5, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 9, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 11, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 33, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 36, in execute
File "game/gui_screens_new_ui.rpy", line 36, in keywords
NameError: name 'nemod_start_py' is not defined
Any error that has "nemod" in them are to do with the Companion Mod.
Either you had it in the last version and have not installed it in your new version.

Or you have acquired someone else's save game that had the Mod installed when the save was created.
In which case you will need to install the Companion Mod to stop this error.

Or you have not installed it correctly and is causing an error.

Reactions: brianiac

Jake Masters

Nov 9, 2018
I have a question for y'all, and as always, a request for MY Yumiko (I'll ALWAYS claim her as mine LOL). first, the quesiton: I'm trying to be a fun and sneaky bastard and push an "unsuspecting" Mercedes into the pool. of course, since I don't want to take away from her job as pool lifeguard, I'm trying to do this when no other girls are present. my stealth is maxed out, so sneaking up on her isn't a problem... but actually getting her into the pool IS. I'm maxed my strength out at 10, and she still says the MC isn't strong enough to throw her in. can she actually be thrown in, or is this just something to tease us poor souls?

my request for Yumiko, as always, is to make her a participant (and of course, the WINNER or at least a possible winner) of the hopefully soon-to-be released titfighting event that can be scheduled to take place in the bar... let's say on Tuesday and Friday nights so each bartender has a titfighting night. maybe have a titfighter's effectiveness at titfighting be a derivative of how often they get their tits PLEASURABLY groped by the MC. you can already track that via one of the weekly and all time awards, so it should be an easy correlation... I hope... maybe???

SiJa

Engaged Member
Feb 21, 2018
I have a question for y'all, and as always, a request for MY Yumiko (I'll ALWAYS claim her as mine LOL). first, the quesiton: I'm trying to be a fun and sneaky bastard and push an "unsuspecting" Mercedes into the pool. of course, since I don't want to take away from her job as pool lifeguard, I'm trying to do this when no other girls are present. my stealth is maxed out, so sneaking up on her isn't a problem... but actually getting her into the pool IS. I'm maxed my strength out at 10, and she still says the MC isn't strong enough to throw her in. can she actually be thrown in, or is this just something to tease us poor souls?

my request for Yumiko, as always, is to make her a participant (and of course, the WINNER or at least a possible winner) of the hopefully soon-to-be released titfighting event that can be scheduled to take place in the bar... let's say on Tuesday and Friday nights so each bartender has a titfighting night. maybe have a titfighter's effectiveness at titfighting be a derivative of how often they get their tits PLEASURABLY groped by the MC. you can already track that via one of the weekly and all time awards, so it should be an easy correlation... I hope... maybe???
Mercedes can not be actually pushed in the pool, she is stronger than you.
It may be something that is added to in a future Development, but for now, is not possible.

As for your request, Titfighting has been mentioned in the game... but as far as I know, it is not being developed for the near future. It may arrive at some point, we will have to wait and see.

Monsieur X

Engaged Member
May 26, 2018

About tits fight

https://f95zone.to/threads/holiday-island-v0-2-3-2-beta-darkhound1.3782/post-1805055

Jake Masters

Nov 9, 2018
yeah, I'm aware of what was talked about nearly two years ago about titfighting, and so far only four girls are being considered for it... although I'm not sure how it'll work out with Joy fighting against herself (she's one of the four, and the winner of the semifinal will "fight" against Joy for the title). I was one of the people who asked about it then, and the one who keeps hinting about it whenever I infrequently post here. I'm well aware that Yumiko isn't one of the four titfighters so far, but I will keep asking she be included as one, maybe as the replacement for Joy since she really can't be the "final boss" as well as a contender. just imagine that the two VERY SEXY bartenders throw down and have an epic titfight in the bar while the girls and the MC cheer them on!!! no matter which girl is your preference (and mine is VERY obvious), it'll make for one hell of a sexy scene and sexy fight.

what I am HOPING for, besides titfighting being done at all obviously, is that ALL of the ladies (both regular island girls and island employees) can eventually participate. maybe at first it's only the four initial girls of Jennier, Desire, Jessica, and YUMIKO participate first, then one of the bartenders wins (YUMIKO lol) and fights and defeats Joy for the title of titfighting queen. the other girls see it's lots of sexy fun, and see just how much the MC enjoys watching, and they all decide to participate for the next series of titfighting!

ok, so that way would allow our glorious game developer to figure everything out with only four (five counting Joy) girls and all the mechanics involved and so forth BEFORE opening it up for everyone in a further game expansion. one can only hope!

junior366

Jun 20, 2017
yeah, I'm aware of what was talked about nearly two years ago about titfighting, and so far only four girls are being considered for it... although I'm not sure how it'll work out with Joy fighting against herself (she's one of the four, and the winner of the semifinal will "fight" against Joy for the title). I was one of the people who asked about it then, and the one who keeps hinting about it whenever I infrequently post here. I'm well aware that Yumiko isn't one of the four titfighters so far, but I will keep asking she be included as one, maybe as the replacement for Joy since she really can't be the "final boss" as well as a contender. just imagine that the two VERY SEXY bartenders throw down and have an epic titfight in the bar while the girls and the MC cheer them on!!! no matter which girl is your preference (and mine is VERY obvious), it'll make for one hell of a sexy scene and sexy fight.

what I am HOPING for, besides titfighting being done at all obviously, is that ALL of the ladies (both regular island girls and island employees) can eventually participate. maybe at first it's only the four initial girls of Jennier, Desire, Jessica, and YUMIKO participate first, then one of the bartenders wins (YUMIKO lol) and fights and defeats Joy for the title of titfighting queen. the other girls see it's lots of sexy fun, and see just how much the MC enjoys watching, and they all decide to participate for the next series of titfighting!

ok, so that way would allow our glorious game developer to figure everything out with only four (five counting Joy) girls and all the mechanics involved and so forth BEFORE opening it up for everyone in a further game expansion. one can only hope!
Seems like someone loves Yumiko as much as I do!

4.00 star(s) 216 Votes