VN Ren'Py Abandoned Holiday Islands [v0.10.2] [Devon Andersson]

3.70 star(s) 6 Votes

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
What to do at the club ? dont wanna spoil it. way to get in?
My understanding is that you can get in by using built in cheats but theres no way to get inside through normal story-means so I never did.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
When is the new version of the game coming? ... V9 when? ... Are we there yet? ... Are we there yet?
My answer to this question is always "when it's done". I will never announce release dates unless I'm VERY close to finishing something. People always tend to read such dates as "promise". If something goes wrong, there is drama.

Android Version?
bg home lvl2 talk2.jpg
Emily: So you're telling me you play Ren'Py games on a tiny mobile phone screen?
Meagan: Ugh ... PCMR! My laptop supports the new nwieediaa raytracing!
MC: PC Masterrace? That's a tiny laptop! These things just overheat all the time!
Meagan: Raytracing is the future of computer graphics.
MC: But this is a just a Visual Novel ... it's not realtime raytracing!
Emily: This is a weird trialogue ... is that a word?

Officially there is no Android-version from me! There are some disgusting scumbag click-bait websites full with ads that make false claims about an existing Android version.
Android is and was never planned. Although interface-elements where created with a potential Android-version in mind. Right now the script for the Android-screens is completely butchered. I think I deleted parts of it since it is unused. Meanwhile Ren'Py has also updated multiple times with Ren'Py 7.1 being Android-focused. Just in case modders want to touch this: Probably the best way to get this running on Android is: Generate a fresh empty Ren'Py 7.1 project and copy all Android-specific screen-scripts to the games code, fix whatever is broken. For me Android has absolutely zero priority right now. From my point of view I simply cannot support a modded Android-version due to the fact that I cannot verify the for Android does not contain malicious code.

I'd still like to know how many players use Android. Multiple answers possible:
(embedded strawpoll seems broken, pollnumber 16559355)

I found a secret image at the massage place "private room" (button) ... I don't know how this is triggered exactly. It did say "secret" with a text in the screen. Are there more secrets Like this?
Congratulations! You found the first secret in the game. The time is the key to find this. It's the only one in V8 so don't waste time looking for more. ;)

Does the "Monsters" quest have a conclusion of any sort? After killing 20 of them (which took like 2 weeks of time skipping) it stays in your quest log with "X monsters slain" but no reward or ending as far as I can tell.

Is this intended as a +sympathy loop for Meagan?
Completing this quest should reward 100 $ and 5 Sympathy for Meagan if I remember correctly. Sympathy is the important reward here for Meagan since I want her to be a "hard to get" character. loop? No, why? Was it repeatable? I'm pretty sure I tested that. hmm :biggrin:It's not intended as repeatable quest.

... and noticed that skipping also gets you an extra sympathy point with Tracy, for some reason.
Oh, and an exception: t_massage_studio_lisa.rpyc, line 165: KeyError: u'timestart_lisa'
And a bug: talking to Megan when she's reading will have Emily talk about her drink, even when she's not around.
  • 1 Sympathy is from the tutorial for being nice to the teacher (Tracy)
  • Emily talking-bug and exception are fixed for next release, did not bother to fix them for V8
Thumbs up for excellent feedback btw.

general things:
  • there is no "team" behind this project, I am a single person
  • suggesting the use of illegal 3D assets to me is pointless, I will not use them, yes I pay other artists for assets, yes copyright and licenses are annoying, but necessary when a creator wants to protect his work
  • it will definitely take multiple years to finish this project with the scale that I have my mind
  • I force myself to focus on the project by staying away from distracting things like youtube, forums, social-media, etc ... in fact I temporary block them in my router ... so if I am "off the grid" ... that is why.

That scene with lisa was much much better than anything done in big brother with her

maybe the scenes fooling around with olivia and her were pretty nice as well, but the weak point of BB was always the angles, the distance, the lenght of the scenes. This game nailed it
It's a shame BB had to die. I actually liked absolutely everything about it. The light, the quality (no grain), Erik as evil character and thread to the player. I guess in the end these things depend on individual taste. I love how so many people still create artworks, comics or even completely new games with the characters. I wish we could have the original models.

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
Completing this quest should reward 100 $ and 5 Sympathy for Meagan if I remember correctly. Sympathy is the important reward here for Meagan since I want her to be a "hard to get" character. loop? No, why? Was it repeatable? I'm pretty sure I tested that. hmm :biggrin:It's not intended as repeatable quest.
It doesn't seem to actually "end" is all. They still spawn on the wall ($1 reward), and Meagan still shows up in your room to squash one (or rather to fail miserably and have us do it) which rewards you with $1 and +1 sympathy.

Take a look at the screenshot, this is repeatable every few days

Reactions: luisar018

light03

Feb 26, 2018
Sympathy is the important reward here for Meagan since I want her to be a "hard to get" character.
So that means Meagan will be available? Great! As many have noted, it seems here one of the most interesting characters. I will wait for the update, your game looks very nice and promising.

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

You are looking at the 4th, last and somewhat special main character. It's not just sunshine and beaches in Holiday Islands. Expect some darker story parts.

Players who payed close attention to main story can already guess "her" name.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I am getting this error

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
NameError: name 'John' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "scripts/locations/home/kitchen/t_kitchen.rpyc", line 622, in script
  File "C:\Users\termi\Desktop\simes\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 678, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\termi\Desktop\simes\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1204, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\termi\Desktop\simes\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1004, in __call__
    who = renpy.python.py_eval(who)
  File "C:\Users\termi\Desktop\simes\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1944, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "C:\Users\termi\Desktop\simes\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1937, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "<none>", line 1, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.1.1.929
Holiday Islands - Episode 1 V9
Thu Nov 01 02:12:34 2018

DragonFire

Jul 30, 2017
I am getting this error

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "scripts/locations/home/kitchen/t_kitchen.rpyc", line 622, in script
  File "C:\Users\termi\Desktop\simes\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 678, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\termi\Desktop\simes\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1204, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\termi\Desktop\simes\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1004, in __call__
    who = renpy.python.py_eval(who)
  File "C:\Users\termi\Desktop\simes\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1944, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "C:\Users\termi\Desktop\simes\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\HolidayIslands-Episode1-V9-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1937, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "<none>", line 1, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.1.1.929
Holiday Islands - Episode 1 V9
Thu Nov 01 02:12:34 2018
Did you start a new game or tried to load an old save game?
Because the OP Changelog states that old saves will not work.. I hate it when they do that:frown:

3.70 star(s) 6 Votes