MayOZ123

Feb 21, 2024
I'm having an issue where after I install the game, it crashes on launch with this message in Japanese. I am using locale emulator and I'm pretty sure I've installed the game correctly. Can anyone help?

Milkman Dan

Jan 19, 2018
That message is "CG Pack file could not be loaded" according to Google image translator, so I'm guessing there's an issue with the filenames or the folder name.

MayOZ123

Feb 21, 2024
That message is "CG Pack file could not be loaded" according to Google image translator, so I'm guessing there's an issue with the filenames or the folder name.
So do you think I should try changing the file names? What do you have yours named as?

bombten

May 22, 2017
Sadly I think I have to classify this as unplayable. The missing text all the time makes it too confusing to play. Together with the translation that is pretty random at times, it's basically gibberish. Too bad though, the graphics are nice. :(

Ruyne

Sep 20, 2017
Thought about giving this a proper translation so I spent some time POC'ing a test patch. No promises - still trying some things out, but if anyone's aware of another in prog TL please let me know so I can look at something else. Also if I do it I wouldn't set any estimated release dates until ~halfway through in case the game's dull and gets dropped.

I think I can see why there are problems with the MTL (besides it being MTL'd). It's my first look at an EAGLS game, and there aren't much online docs for the engine that I can find, but:

- The "..." text-overflow-hidden like bug is just that. When you go over 3 lines of text, the game just converts it to "..." and cuts out the text that would form the 4th line. Notably that's bad because japanese is often shorter in text (see speedrunning). So I can imagine that if you have to translate a full 3 lines of japanese text and stay within 3 lines to not get cut off, it'll be hard. All of the lines are sequentially numbered too, so adding in a new one would mean bumping up all the others.

- Found a way to break out the games script into modifiable (and re-patchable) files, but no way to extract said text files (dialogue) into an excel sheet or automatically patch them back in. Means it's all manual script additions and git tracking, and that sure is a PITA.

- With the two issues combined, that means a bunch of manual excel entering, some macro automation to break up the lines (since it has the typical mid-way word cut off for text wrapping in English), and manual re-entry into the scripts.

Overall kind of lame to work with. Since the character lines seem pretty standardized, I'm sure writing a script to extract and readd them back in wouldn't be -too- bad, but still a PITA.

From a game perspective, it looks fun. But all of the extra CS + formatting work kind of makes it suck for japanese practice so who knows.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Grufix and bombten

Ruyne

Sep 20, 2017
Heads up that I wrote some tools to automate the above, and the game's been fun, so I'm working on a non-machine TL.

• Red Heart
Reactions: bombten

bombten

May 22, 2017
Thought about giving this a proper translation so I spent some time POC'ing a test patch. No promises - still trying some things out, but if anyone's aware of another in prog TL please let me know so I can look at something else. Also if I do it I wouldn't set any estimated release dates until ~halfway through in case the game's dull and gets dropped.

I think I can see why there are problems with the MTL (besides it being MTL'd). It's my first look at an EAGLS game, and there aren't much online docs for the engine that I can find, but:

- The "..." text-overflow-hidden like bug is just that. When you go over 3 lines of text, the game just converts it to "..." and cuts out the text that would form the 4th line. Notably that's bad because japanese is often shorter in text (see speedrunning). So I can imagine that if you have to translate a full 3 lines of japanese text and stay within 3 lines to not get cut off, it'll be hard. All of the lines are sequentially numbered too, so adding in a new one would mean bumping up all the others.

- Found a way to break out the games script into modifiable (and re-patchable) files, but no way to extract said text files (dialogue) into an excel sheet or automatically patch them back in. Means it's all manual script additions and git tracking, and that sure is a PITA.

- With the two issues combined, that means a bunch of manual excel entering, some macro automation to break up the lines (since it has the typical mid-way word cut off for text wrapping in English), and manual re-entry into the scripts.

Overall kind of lame to work with. Since the character lines seem pretty standardized, I'm sure writing a script to extract and readd them back in wouldn't be -too- bad, but still a PITA.

From a game perspective, it looks fun. But all of the extra CS + formatting work kind of makes it suck for japanese practice so who knows.
Wow! If you do this, you'll truly be the hero of the ages! <3

Reactions: Ruyne

Ruyne

Sep 20, 2017
Haha, thank you. Don't get too excited yet though. There are ~25k-30kish lines in the game (not sure if there are any dupes for recollection yet). I've done a little more than 2k in the two weeks since that post. I don't like to set deadlines for a hobby, but at that rate it'll be ~4-5 months until a full patch.

I might release a partial if there's a good break point while I finish.

Upside is I've written scripts to automate TL->Patch so a patch (partial or not) can be made at any time.

Downside is that the interface looks like it's all hardcoded as images, so any interface TL would happen last. As in, I'd have to open each image (button, menu, setting, tutorial window) up in photoshop. That's very time consuming and it also means the patch would be very big, so I'm thinking of ways around it.

For ex, a story only patch would be 5mb. If I have to include a patched image .pak for the interface, it'll be 2.2gigs as it has to include all images + the patched ones. Not sure if the engine uses patch files yet.

• Red Heart
Reactions: bombten

bombten

May 22, 2017
Haha, thank you. Don't get too excited yet though. There are ~25k-30kish lines in the game (not sure if there are any dupes for recollection yet). I've done a little more than 2k in the two weeks since that post. I don't like to set deadlines for a hobby, but at that rate it'll be ~4-5 months until a full patch.

I might release a partial if there's a good break point while I finish.

Upside is I've written scripts to automate TL->Patch so a patch (partial or not) can be made at any time.

Downside is that the interface looks like it's all hardcoded as images, so any interface TL would happen last. As in, I'd have to open each image (button, menu, setting, tutorial window) up in photoshop. That's very time consuming and it also means the patch would be very big, so I'm thinking of ways around it.

For ex, a story only patch would be 5mb. If I have to include a patched image .pak for the interface, it'll be 2.2gigs as it has to include all images + the patched ones. Not sure if the engine uses patch files yet.
Well, I think you are a hero for just even trying to do this. :)
I would totally understand if you didn't manage to get through all that work.
You can try and just do the first chapter or something.

Thedabisme

Feb 15, 2020
Some problems, when i tried to replace the script it was just stuck at 1% or you need an additional 5.5mb

3.50 star(s) 2 Votes