ssmatt

Nov 26, 2017
Clunky in performance, also the game glitches out with items disappearing. When you use the console to put the missing object in, it blocks the achievements. Plus story lines are a bit clunky too. Yes I know some paths close off others, but outside of those parameters story lines are rather stilted and choppy.

However, I bought the game, I still play it from time to time. The potential is there, unlike many patreon games, but just my concerns.
Fair enough. I've lost some items before, but actually I saw in recent release notes that that's been tightened up. I'm sure there are many nooks and crannies where the colliders have to be adjusted. I don't have any performance issues, so I guess I'm not with you there, and I think the story is hilarious. A lot of people act like there are bugs, but usually it's just because they're forgetting a step somewhere. I've never had a story "break down" and gotten stuck.

I wish that even a small percentage of other games on here were this ambitious. There's not another game that even comes close to it in terms of graphics and gameplay and it's got SO much content now. Sure it's got some issues here and there, but it's a lot harder to create something like this than most of the story-driven visual novels on this site, so of course there's a trade-off in that it will take them longer to get it just right.

Sebille

Aug 17, 2018
Yeah I mean it runs great for me, but what I don't understand is that everybody wants to run this game on Ultra with no issues, even if they have an older system. If they made "Ultra" accessible for all systems it wouldn't be Ultra. I never said it wasn't demanding on Ultra settings, but my FPS increase by double when I switch to "High", and it still looks great. You don't really get a degradation of quality until you hit Medium and Low, but I mean, you start having a pretty old system when you need these settings. I dunno, I play a lot of 3D games, and this is pretty standard stuff. Of course this won't run like a Renpy game.
You dont get it because you dont even consider what is being rendered, what graphics engine is being used, how other games and engines run on the same system, etc.
You're only viewing this from the narrow and simplistic perspective of "Ultra is for Ultra high-end machines, and thats that".

FYI, the still Early-Access title that is Green Hell, runs on Unity 2017 (not even the latest), and has the most rich and heavy graphics I have ever seen on a survival game like this, it is genuinely demanding due to the sheer amount of stuff that is displayed on the screen at the same time, all with high quality textures and pretty damn awesome shadows and lighting effects.
In spite of all that, it runs fine (not great, but not bad either) on my system.
In other words, Green Hell is way more graphically impressive, but even though it should be 2 or 3 times more taxing, it isnt.
This, and many other examples of disproportionate system load vs graphics quality, shows that House Party simply isnt optimized well enough, even after all of these updates.

I dont want to be too harsh on any of these games however, since they are not completed, and there's still a lot more to be done, fixes, content, etc, that developers have planned, it just takes time.

P.S. Ultra doesnt mean that you need the best gaming rig on the market, it doesnt even mean that you need a high-end rig. It just means that this is the maximum setting. What one developer considers "Ultra Quality" another one might consider it High or even Medium. Its all relative.

Reactions: Cirro84

ssmatt

Nov 26, 2017
You dont get it because you dont even consider what is being rendered, what graphics engine is being used, how other games and engines run on the same system, etc.
You're only viewing this from the narrow and simplistic perspective of "Ultra is for Ultra high-end machines, and thats that".
No I get what you're saying. My point is that "High" doesn't look that much different than Ultra, and "Ultra" in House Party is not the same thing as "Ultra" in Green Hell. It's different for each game. In HP, you can only notice the difference between Ultra and High when you get really close to the characters. My guess is that they are swapping 4k textures out for lower res, and that's the biggest thing that makes this game more demanding on Ultra. Put it on Ultra and get really close to a model in this game and the detail is amazing. It's actually pretty damn impressive. You can't compare a game like Green Hell in its entirety with this game and just go "oh yeah it's visually better". Some things are better, others are not. I don't believe any of us know enough about either of those games to even make a good judgement on what each *should* be in terms of performance, and you can't just expect them to have similar performance. I just don't pretend to be an expert in these things, but that doesn't mean I don't "get" it.

Green Hell is also using real photo scanning techniques on their textures. House Party just isn't that kind of game. It's graphic style is meant to be more cartoony. I don't prefer Green Hell graphics over the traditional because I feel like, just like with CGI in older movies, the photoscanning techniques are still a bit uncanny for me. It's like "Almost real, but not quite". House Party doesn't come off that way. HP has a more "cartoony" feel, but it feels natural because it's not *trying* to look real. I guess it's all subjective, but you're comparing two completely different technologies and expecting one to perform like the other.

Edit: Also, when I look up Green Hell, I'm seeing tons of reports about how "demanding" it is, and a lot of people having issues running it, so I guess it's not that much different.

Sebille

Aug 17, 2018
No I get what you're saying. My point is that "High" doesn't look that much different than Ultra, and "Ultra" in House Party is not the same thing as "Ultra" in Green Hell.
Clearly you dont get it.
I didnt compare what each setting does for each game, and then only talk about the difference between graphics settings. Thats what you're doing, because you refuse to look at the whole picture, and simply cant or wont understand what I'm saying.

It's different for each game. In HP, you can only notice the difference between Ultra and High when you get really close to the characters.
Damn right it is different for each game. Some games are well-optimized, and run great even on older machines, with really high graphics fidelity. Others, not so much. Comparing Ultra to High, and refusing to talk about the game's overall hardware requirements to run at maximum details is why you're not getting it. Frankly you seem biased and dishonest, simply because you wont acknowledge simple factual observations.

My guess is that they are swapping 4k textures out for lower res, and that's the biggest thing that makes this game more demanding on Ultra.
Thats great, but if the only difference is higher vs lower res textures, then you'd only see a bigger load on graphics memory, which shouldnt be that much a concern for me, since the issue is raw graphics processing power (i.e. simply a more powerful GPU is required). When you see the GPU usage at 99% and the graphics memory not being fully loaded, then you know what you need more of.
Its the meshes that matter more btw, when it comes to rendering these objects/characters, they are the ones that can be optimized the most, if designed in a more efficient way. Mesh optimizations can make a big difference and can reduce processing load a lot, in certain scenarios.

Put it on Ultra and get really close to a model in this game and the detail is amazing. It's actually pretty damn impressive.
Speak for yourself, frankly I am not so impressed, and I can honestly notice technically inferior quality on some areas, if compared to versions of HP that are much much older. As if they started using lower res textures at some point.
This in particular, isnt very objective.

You can't compare a game like Green Hell in its entirety with this game and just go "oh yeah it's visually better".
Actually I can. You cant, because you're arguing from the perspective of subjective opinion, while I dont.
You see, (and I did my best to explain that to you) when I was comparing Green Hell (which was merely an example) to this game, I was counting the raw amount of stuff that is displayed on screen at a time, as well as the technical requirements for all of it. In other words, the hardware is asked to render a lot more objects in real time, a lot more textures have to be loaded at the same time, there's great variation in flora and fauna, on top of calculations that have to be made in part by the CPU for the AI, that all of it put together, make Green Hell an objectively much more demanding game than HP. Or at least it should be in theory, but unfortunately HP is more demanding than it needs to be. Which means it isnt particularly well optimized.

I don't believe any of us know enough about either of those games to even make a good judgement on what each *should* be in terms of performance, and you can't just expect them to have similar performance. I just don't pretend to be an expert in these things, but that doesn't mean I don't "get" it.
I am not an expert either, but I dont have to be since....hmm, how should I put it?
In House Party you've got a single house with a back yard, in Green Hell you've got a big map, forested areas, rivers, wild animals, cannibals, tons of stuff that can be picked up lying around, things spawning all the time (and despawning), the player's usable items and weapons and inventory that are much more diverse and sophisticated than HP, and so much more (I could talk for days), that it is simply absurd to just say "Oh we just dont know enough and we arent experts", and stop thinking about it.
No sorry, I dont need to be an expert, the image is quite clear and speaks for itself.
I am not an expert on biological Evolution either, but I accept it as fact, because I do understand some basic things about it.
The "not an expert" excuse can be used to justify all ignorance of any form. I simply dont buy it.

Green Hell is also using real photo scanning techniques on their textures. House Party just isn't that kind of game. It's graphic style is meant to be more cartoony. I don't prefer Green Hell graphics over the traditional because I feel like, just like with CGI in older movies, the photoscanning techniques are still a bit uncanny for me. It's like "Almost real, but not quite". House Party doesn't come off that way. HP has a more "cartoony" feel, but it feels natural because it's not *trying* to look real. I guess it's all subjective, but you're comparing two completely different technologies and expecting one to perform like the other.
None of this matters, this is about the art style, it doesnt add anything significant neither to the discussion, nor to the hardware that needs to render this in real time. Its irrelevant.
Also, I am actually comparing 2 different games that are using the same graphics engine: Unity. This actually IS relevant.

Edit: Also, when I look up Green Hell, I'm seeing tons of reports about how "demanding" it is, and a lot of people having issues running it, so I guess it's not that much different.
Yes it is demanding, and not optimized particularly well. But its still better optimized than House Party.
Starting to get my point yet?
This is why I chose Green Hell as an example, not an example of a really well optimized game, but an example of a not-so-well optimized one.

Imagine if I had chosen a better game than GH.

Again, notice how my previous post ended in:
"I dont want to be too harsh on any of these games however, since they are not completed, and there's still a lot more to be done, fixes, content, etc, that developers have planned, it just takes time. "
And I still stand by that.

ssmatt

Nov 26, 2017
Clearly you dont get it.
I mean, I'm sorry I disagree with you, but I'm done arguing with you. Frankly, you're just being a dick about the way you're coming at me. I'm just trying to have a conversation about it and I am really trying to consider your points. I still disagree with you but I don't come at you like "you don't get it", "you're dishonest", "you're biased", etc... That doesn't make you right. I mean seriously, these are both opinions because both of us acknowledged that we are NOT experts. You're not even considering that hardware is vastly different as well. If one game runs better for you, it may not run better for others. All I know is that HP runs great for me. It *used* to be choppy, but it's gotten better and better over time, and I *do* have issues with other games, so IME, I don't see it the same way you do. You're basically acting like I don't know what I'm talking about because I had pretty much the same experience as you, except it's HP that's running fine, and other games that feel more demanding to me.

ssmatt

Nov 26, 2017
Actually I can. You cant, because you're arguing from the perspective of subjective opinion, while I dont.
Also, you couldn't be more wrong about this. If you want to get scientific about it, we're both dealing with a sample size of 1. You have your computer, and I have mine. That's about the least scientific and objective as you could possibly get. What you don't seem to understand is that I AM HAVING A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE THAN YOU, and BOTH of our experiences are entirely subjective. HP runs great for me, and other games have had issues. That's why I keep dismissing your comparison to other games, because my experience is completely different than yours.

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
think i tried this once long ago..it had a floating camera didnt it?..is that still here?...if not i'd like to try this again..us old folks need things to stay still dammit!!..lol

Reactions: VermillioN

p22

Jun 21, 2017
Actually, graphic details do not control just texture quality. Although that was the case long ago.

Just look girl models and their skin difference between detail settings (ignoring extras like shadow or reflections). There is significant difference in look at all levels (not counting the textures).

CLDꝜ

̷ ̷ ̶ ̴ ̴ ̴ ̷ ̸ ̸ ̷ ̵ ̸ ̸ ̴ ̵ ̷ ̵ ̴ ̶ ̴ ̶ ̵ ̶ ̴ ̵
Staff member
Community Liaison
Jul 7, 2017
Is the graphic better since like half a year ago?
Yeah. A lot (if not all) of the models has been remade, house has been redecorated a lot, lighting is a lot better, and so is performance.
We definitely need some new screenshots in OP. I'd appreciate it if anyone could take some screenshots while playing, then posting it in a spoiler here for me, so I can replace the screenshots.

I'd also appreciate it if you guys could tell me of any missing tags.

Reactions: ssmatt

CLDꝜ

̷ ̷ ̶ ̴ ̴ ̴ ̷ ̸ ̸ ̷ ̵ ̸ ̸ ̴ ̵ ̷ ̵ ̴ ̶ ̴ ̶ ̵ ̶ ̴ ̵
Staff member
Community Liaison
Jul 7, 2017
Exhibitionism, enf, masturbation (both male and female), male protagonist, corruption, voyeurism, gay. I'm probably missing a bunch more, but that's off the top of my head.
Thank you. I appreciate it! Feel free to ping me if you remember more tags:) You can find a list of valid tags for f95zone here and here

ssmatt

Nov 26, 2017
Thank you. I appreciate it! Feel free to ping me if you remember more tags:) You can find a list of valid tags for f95zone here and here
Thanks for the list. From what I see (some of these might already be there) 3D Game, Multiple Endings, Voiced, Drugs, Groping, Oral Sex, Sexual Harassment, Stripping, Adventure, Combat, Dating Sim, Humor, Point & Click, Romance, Sandbox.

I'll try to get some screenshots tomorrow.

Reactions: CLDꝜ
3.60 star(s) 61 Votes