Logan1377

Feb 13, 2023
Hell nah dude. VN >>> kinetic novel >>> sandbox >>> kinetic novel sandbox. Having meaningful choices and multiple endings makes stories more immersive. Maybe kinetic novels are better if you're just lookin to jerk off?
We all like what we like. I very, very strongly prefer a sandbox format. Having choices that change how things go can be a nice bonus, but what I want more than anything is control over the pacing, and the ability to choose who I see and what I do next. Even if the content is always going to be exactly the same in the end, the control over that process makes it so, so much better for me. And then the great ones also have character cards that update as you go along, so that you can see how you're progressing with each of the potential sex partners along the way, and ideally go back and repeat sex scenes with them.

A one directional, narrative VN is at the bottom of my list of formats, because without any of that control, I honestly start to forget what's happening, and have less of an idea of who the characters are.

purvysage

Nov 10, 2019
You are thinking of a "Kinetic Novel."
Thank you for that. That would mean every game on this site would be a VN and that the 'VN' tag is useless unless there is a difference between games that are tagged 'VN' and the ones that are not. This game with its multiple storylines (and it has direction) is not a 'KN' but not quite a sandbox/freeroam even though it does have some sandbox qualities. Not a fan of sandbox but I will watch. Good luck to the dev with this project.

Reactions: MAD6999

purvysage

Nov 10, 2019
Having meaningful choices and multiple endings makes stories more immersive.
I agree with that statement but are you willing to play all the storylines and spend the time to do so? For me, 2 routes, lust and love. Play lust and then if the story is good enough, play love.

illogicallity

Jun 22, 2023
We all like what we like. I very, very strongly prefer a sandbox format. Having choices that change how things go can be a nice bonus, but what I want more than anything is control over the pacing, and the ability to choose who I see and what I do next. Even if the content is always going to be exactly the same in the end, the control over that process makes it so, so much better for me. And then the great ones also have character cards that update as you go along, so that you can see how you're progressing with each of the potential sex partners along the way, and ideally go back and repeat sex scenes with them.

A one directional, narrative VN is at the bottom of my list of formats, because without any of that control, I honestly start to forget what's happening, and have less of an idea of who the characters are.
I prefer VN because I think any sandbox that allows you to "control the pacing" is completely lacking in storytelling. It's nearly impossible to have more than a watered-down overarching plot when you allow the player to control who they interact with at whatever time they desire. I despise kinetic novels (and also games that pretend they aren't kinetic novels with only choices whether to have sex or not), but I can't think of any true sandbox game that actually has a good story. Sandbox games that are basically linear do not count towards my opinion, but also the ones that basically soft-lock progress dependent on other character's routes, like Harem Hotel. That game is a sandbox but you don't control the pacing. If you try to focus on most of the content of one character, you'll find that it requires you to progress the other characters.

Most sandbox games work like this and most of them are just designed to stretch a small amount of assets over a longer period of time with grind, annoying navigation, and too much clicking for an adult game.

Last edited:

Logan1377

Feb 13, 2023
I prefer VN because I think any sandbox that allows you to "control the pacing" is completely lacking in storytelling. It's nearly impossible to have more than a watered-down overarching plot when you allow the player to control who they interact with at whatever time they desire. I despise kinetic novels (and also games that pretend they aren't kinetic novels with only choices whether to have sex or not), but I can't think of any true sandbox game that actually has a good story. Sandbox games that are basically linear do not count towards my opinion, but also the ones that basically soft-lock progress dependent on other character's routes, like Harem Hotel. That game is a sandbox but you don't control the pacing. If you try to focus on most of the content of one character, you'll find that it requires you to progress the other characters.

Most sandbox games work like this and most of them are just designed to stretch a small amount of assets over a longer period of time with grind, annoying navigation, and too much clicking for an adult game.
I guess it just depends on what's most important to you. I want it to be interesting, but I don't need it tot too be deep. Mostly, I'm looking for a mix of sex and humor, with likable characters and a story that makes sense and follows the rules that it sets for itself. Hypnosis itself is about as heavy as I want a sex game to go in that regard.

Though I like a lot of things about Harem Hotel, it does go a bit deeper in all of that than I ideally want, but the format is excellent. Its an awesome example of what I'm looking for, however you would refer to that. Soft-locked util the different paths meet up is still in control of the pacing to me, and again, allows me as the gamer to always be right up to date mentally with everything that's happening, and what I've done with each character.

Reactions: illogicallity

iainmore

Jun 12, 2017
I'm not sure why devs continue to add multiple endings to games. Even with a normal VN there's usually just one ending or a continuation of the story when a recent update is added. Plus, it's probably a lot of extra work and the amount of time they have to take to add all the images with the coding required. Having to play multiple times just to see all the content can get very annoying especially if the game has been in development for a while.
It makes a game more replayable for one. Well more replaable for those of us that like to do that.

Reactions: MrHHH

taler

Oct 5, 2017
I wish games with multiple endings or 'bad endings' would be set up to (at the end of the 'bad ending') say "Bad ending, stupid!" then say "This is where you made your mistake. Try again, dumbass!" then the game moves you to the point where you made the mistake. Games that end at a 'bad ending' (for me) usually get deleted then 'ignored' unless the story is THAT good (most are not). I will not save a game at every decision.
That only works in a game with 1 normal route and like 20 bad endings, which I wouldn't consider a good game. If a game has like 5 normal routes then the game wouldn't know where to reset the player to.

Reactions: Maulis47

hth2m1

May 28, 2018
Thank you for that. That would mean every game on this site would be a VN and that the 'VN' tag is useless unless there is a difference between games that are tagged 'VN' and the ones that are not.
No, because not every game on this site is a VN. There are plenty of games that are sidescrollers, or top-down RPGs, or rhythm games, or even fully 3D free-roam first or third-person sandbox games. KN is just a subgenre of VN, not all VNs are KNs but all KNs are VNs.

Reactions: Demoness_Kiss

waveblaster69

Feb 24, 2020
Oh wow, actual multiple paths game where choices actually change the story instead of just choosing which girl you get to bang. Good on you Expanding Universe.

Reactions: AhrimanH

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
playing on Good path (second path split when watch gets stolen, first path split was "badass" for love triangle) and around ep 12-13 noticed "nowatch" flag constantly pops up - is there a way to get watch back early or not loose it at all? or is it something for Evil path?

Aeco

Apr 19, 2018
Not sure if this is a known bug, but Daphne acts as if her body was changed by Laura even though I actually avoided her, stole the watch with everyone's help, and then she ordered hypnotized Leah to bring it back. So there was never a "Daphne is hypnotized to change her body in any way she sees fit" scene, i.e. it never happened in this playthrough, afaik. Yet when she calls me to invite me to her resort, the game acts as if that were the case.

Edit: And MC never had sex with Daphne, which is also referenced. And the game is pretending I have the watch after Laura keeps it in the gym, where she promised to give it to me after having a talk (unless I'm misunderstanding something, these references to other "timelines" may be getting to me).

Last edited:

Incendax

Dec 20, 2019
We all like what we like. I very, very strongly prefer a sandbox format. Having choices that change how things go can be a nice bonus, but what I want more than anything is control over the pacing, and the ability to choose who I see and what I do next.
I think there are great ways to implement this. But MOST sandbox games create a massive amount of unnecessary clicking to get anything done. And I don't just mean griding repetitious scenes, but literally clicking 10 times to go from your Bed > Living Room > Front Yard > Down The Street > Stop At Store > Go To School > Go up Stairs > Enter Classroom, etc etc. Some games add shortcuts that take you directly to the map, but even sandboxes where you have to click every room from a list of rooms to see who is there that day is way more clicking than necessary. Morning > Noon > Afternoon > Evening > Night cycles have the same problem, especially if the NPCs have schedules. Click, click, click, click your precious hours away.

Logan1377

Feb 13, 2023
I think there are great ways to implement this. But MOST sandbox games create a massive amount of unnecessary clicking to get anything done. And I don't just mean griding repetitious scenes, but literally clicking 10 times to go from your Bed > Living Room > Front Yard > Down The Street > Stop At Store > Go To School > Go up Stairs > Enter Classroom, etc etc. Some games add shortcuts that take you directly to the map, but even sandboxes where you have to click every room from a list of rooms to see who is there that day is way more clicking than necessary. Morning > Noon > Afternoon > Evening > Night cycles have the same problem, especially if the NPCs have schedules. Click, click, click, click your precious hours away.
I don't mind any of that at all. Obviously, some others do. Like I said, the control over what i do next is far, far more important to me than any loss of time. I guess its hard to put it into words, but when I feel like I've done something, within the context of the game, to progress things along and achieve or earn something sexy along the way, it feels so much better, and the payoff is that much moreso than if its just click click click next next next with a one directional VN. There's not a right or wrong as some people clearly prefer one and some the other, but I'm way over on the sandbox side.

If a game has X number of sex partners, and they all have a set number of possible scenes, I really, really want to choose who I see next and what I do with them. It makes the experience ten times better, I remember everything that's happened much better, and when I advance through more lewd outfits or sex scenes, it feels like I was the one who made it happen, rather than just watching from the sidelines. Almost the comparable difference between actually playing a mainstream non-adult game vs watching someone else play a game on Youtube.

3.90 star(s) 66 Votes