Tutorial [ILLUSION] HS2 Studio Neo|Chara Maker - (Help & guides Thread)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
Has anyone found a solution or good workaround to the issue that upscaling lessens the strength of Depth of Field? If I have set a very strong depth of field effect in my scene/graphics, and render an image at 1x quality, 4k scale, the DoF effect is medium strength. If I double the quality, or render an 8K screenshot, the DoF is very weak, to the point of barely being noticeable.

An obvious workaround would be to render at 1x quality but then upscale it somehow with a third party program, but that's a hassle. Maybe people are using Ansel for a working DoF, but (as I explained earlier in this thread) I never got that to work properly.

Reactions: Sepheyer

Sepheyer

Dec 21, 2020
Has anyone found a solution or good workaround to the issue that upscaling lessens the strength of Depth of Field? If I have set a very strong depth of field effect in my scene/graphics, and render an image at 1x quality, 4k scale, the DoF effect is medium strength. If I double the quality, or render an 8K screenshot, the DoF is very weak, to the point of barely being noticeable.

An obvious workaround would be to render at 1x quality but then upscale it somehow with a third party program, but that's a hassle. Maybe people are using Ansel for a working DoF, but (as I explained earlier in this thread) I never got that to work properly.
Thanks for linking upscaling and weak DoF. I never connected the dots.

I trust you know that despite rendered DoF being much weaker than the studio DoF, there are still two DoFs one can toggle between: the F5's DoF and the System>Screen Effect one.

But yes, I have the same issue that I don't know how to resolve where the rendered DoF is much weaker than the studio DoF:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: drowsy

hkproduction

HkProduction Official Account
Game Developer
Sep 22, 2021
Speaking about DoF, anyone know how to do auto focus so that the backgrond become blurry, but not the character?

Most of the time I need to manully change the apeture

Kaseijin

Jul 9, 2022
Cool tutorial. How do you record the video that can be looped? Seems like the Video Exporter doesn't work properly with this...
HI!

Video Exporter is a cool tool, I think it works fine. Keep in mind that my loop is 10 seconds long and the video is 15 secs long.
As ninetofive says, it is a matter of timing in the framerate. In the video I uploaded, I set the framerate in 15 fps (I think, don't remember xD ) but I've done video caps in the past and looks pretty good.

Another point is the keyframe, for example, let's say we want to make an anim loop with two different poses, we will set the initial pose in keyframe 0 and in the last keyframe, in order to get the whole "loop" bonded, right? for the second pose we will set the keyframe somewhere between these two points, But in my experience, if I do so, the anim result in some kind of "peak", I mean, when the time reach the keyframe of the second pose, it just last an snap of time; to fix that, I put TWO keyframes, the wide they are separated is the time I want to take the second pose to last.
Also, when the time reachs the keyframe in the next pose, it has that "bounce" in the boobs and hair, the same we get when switch poses. I dunno how to get rid of that (yet). And last, once getting the animation loop, I try to make it more smooth using the graphic interface like the "fast-slow, slow-fast etc" transitions, like a roller coaster rail, and no that kinda of "Pyramid" shape

Hope this info be usefull to you, any question don't hesitate and post it. we will try to help you.
(sorry bout my bad english, blame Google translator please)

ninetofive

Oct 23, 2019
Speaking about DoF, anyone know how to do auto focus so that the backgrond become blurry, but not the character?

Most of the time I need to manully change the apeture
Put your camera crosshair on the focal point and then zoom out from there using right click. You will still need to adjust depending on the distance of your camera but this is how you set where the focus will be.

cptboofy

Dec 7, 2022
How can I get sharp dark shadows in close contact areas (like where she's sitting) without blowing out anything else? (Like her hair).
I've tried all the lights and searched around for videos but I can't figure out how to achieve a nice gradient to really sell that there's contact between the char and the seat or any surface with close contact. I either have too much light hitting the character or not enough shadows and it looks like they're floating.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sepheyer

Dec 21, 2020
How can I get sharp dark shadows in close contact areas (like where she's sitting) without blowing out anything else? (Like her hair).
I've tried all the lights and searched around for videos but I can't figure out how to achieve a nice gradient to really sell that there's contact between the char and the seat or any surface with close contact. I either have too much light hitting the character or not enough shadows and it looks like they're floating.
There are objects, such as "wondering shadows" or fog particles that you can drop in there and see if it helps.

You can also probably grab a pyramid, change its shader to glass/liquid and use it as a "volumetric darkener".

Reactions: thisisweak

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
You already have a sharp shadow there, so I am not sure I understand the request. Are you sure you want a sharp shadow, since you also mention "gradient"? A gradating shadow would be a soft shadow/light. To get a softer light, which produces a more gradual shadow, put a spot or pointlight above her, in the place you want, and then increase its radius size. Play around with the 'clip' properties of the light -- those fields above the strength value -- until you get the look you're after.

Also, more realistic shadow interactions are achieved with Ambient Occlusion (available as a postprocessing effect in Graphics (F5)), which might be what you're after if you haven't already thought of it. Ambient Occlusion looks great from mid-to-long distances, the type of distance you have in the screenshot. In closeups of faces it tends to distort the face (if you upscale the render), so you might want to disable it then. Make sure you save the graphics preset after you play with AO settings and get something that looks good.

Also, for realistic lighting, here are some general tips that help me and might be useful for anybody:

- Don't over-rely on cubemaps. Cubemaps look great as backgrounds, and when prominent in a shot they should influence the lighting, but they tend to wash everything out. So, usually, decrease the Intensity value down to below 1.0, around 0.7, while letting the Exposure value be 1.0 or even more. See next point.

- One way to test this: switch off all the lights that are placed in your scene, leaving an unlit character, objects, and the map and/or cubemap. Is the character darkened enough for the scene so that it still looks realistic? If not, you need to change something. You want the unlit scene to look like it actually would look for a character in the darkness. In some scenes (f.ex. a room without windows), if you turn off all the lights you've placed there, it should be literally pitch black. So, lower cubemap intensity, change material render settings (i.e. don't have over-saturated colors), etc. until you achieve realism.

- Don't rely on character-only or map-only lights. Why would there be a light that only affected a character and not the world around him/her? Not realistic. You want characters to blend in with the world. Maybe the #1 mistake in lighting I see in HS2/Studio renders is that a character stands out because of lighting.

- Match colors, and most importantly, match blacks and whites. The objects in your scene, their shadows need to match both the direction and the intensity of whatever background you are working with. The lights and shadows on an object should be roughly the same as the lights and shadows in the cubemap.

- Smoke/fog/volumetric effects are your friend. They're not needed when you've set up lighting properly (in the way I described in the last point), but they can help sell a scene because they enforce a uniform color scheme while giving depth. One way is by using Volumetric Lights. They work just like normal lights, but you can click the Item button on the left and increase the volumetric intensity, giving a smoky effect to the scene. Obviously don't overdo it.

- When it comes to the color of lights, 90% of the time or more you want to use natural colors: light beige or light yellow to simulate lamps or the sun, a bit more orange if the light is meant to be the evening sun. Generally, don't oversaturate the color, make all 3 RGB color-levers somewhat aligned. Sometimes you want to place soft point lights to simulate reflected lights coming off the ground or a wall, which should then be the color of whatever is reflected (e.g. grass, or a white wall). Whenever you use nonnatural colors (purple, cyan, etc.), that immediately signifies that the environment is artificial, which is good for cities and so on. Still watch out for oversaturation: it looks unrealistic.

Last edited:

Sepheyer

Dec 21, 2020
- Pretty much never use character-only or map-only lights. Why would there be a light that only affected a character and not the world around him/her? Not realistic. You want characters to blend in with the world. Maybe the #1 mistake in lighting I see in HS2/Studio renders is that a character stands out because of lighting.
For what it is worth, I use character-only and map-only a lot. Here are my uses:

- Rim light on chara. On an actual set you have honeycomb, flags, etc. to shape the light beam. I can fake these using x-only lights. Rim light itself is a Holliwood-invension, completely unmotivated (other than to separate away), so only fitting to use x-only on rims.

- To control the difference in materials. Since skin and object materials might have different diffusion and reflection, etc., sometimes each object needs additional stops (levels of illumination). Hence x-only lights.

- Keys (dedicated narrow lights) I drop on the face are always chara-only. Naturally, they have meager range, rather out of habbit.

Imagine, Arri finds a way to make their lights talent-only and environment-only. I bet Hollywood would jump on these right away for better or for worse. Just my $0.02.

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
For what it is worth, I use character-only and map-only a lot. Here are my uses:

- Rim light on chara. On an actual set you have honeycomb, flags, etc. to shape the light beam. I can fake these using x-only lights. Rim light itself is a Holliwood-invension, completely unmotivated (other than to separate away), so only fitting to use x-only on rims.

- To control the difference in materials. Since skin and object materials might have different diffusion and reflection, etc., sometimes each object needs additional stops (levels of illumination). Hence x-only lights.

- Keys (dedicated narrow lights) I drop on the face are always chara-only. Naturally, they have meager range, rather out of habbit.

Imagine, Arri finds a way to make their lights talent-only and environment-only. I bet Hollywood would jump on these right away for better or for worse. Just my $0.02.
True, they can be useful for these purposes. It's no problem so long as the reason you're using x-only lighting is to achieve realism or an artistic effect that you're going after. It shouldn't be a crutch that you always feel you need to use, imo.

I used to use character-only Directional Lighting in a lot of cases, for example when I played with the (very good looking) maps made by AILegend. With some maps there is ambient lighting baked in already, so you must use chara-only lighting to match it. But in my case, the reason was that it felt like my characters didn't match maps in general, usually being too dark. More ambient light was pretty much always needed. After spending a few hours altering both my Graphics preset and the materials I use on characters' clothing, eyes, and hair, I generally avoid having to do that now.

Again, I swear by the "turn off all the lights: does it still look good?" test. Certain maps might be an exception (baked lights), but if you find that in general you don't pass this test, you might want to change some settings. The reason is that, if you manage to achieve a realistic "neutral" state, getting a good looking scene *with* lights set up will become that much easier.

Sepheyer

Dec 21, 2020
True, they can be useful for these purposes. It's no problem so long as the reason you're using x-only lighting is to achieve realism or an artistic effect that you're going after. It shouldn't be a crutch that you always feel you need to use, imo.

I used to use character-only Directional Lighting in a lot of cases, for example when I played with the (very good looking) maps made by AILegend. With some maps there is ambient lighting baked in already, so you must use chara-only lighting to match it. But in my case, the reason was that it felt like my characters didn't match maps in general, usually being too dark. More ambient light was pretty much always needed. After spending a few hours altering both my Graphics preset and the materials I use on characters' clothing, eyes, and hair, I generally avoid having to do that now.

Again, I swear by the "turn off all the lights: does it still look good?" test. Certain maps might be an exception (baked lights), but if you find that in general you don't pass this test, you might want to change some settings. The reason is that, if you manage to achieve a realistic "neutral" state, getting a good looking scene *with* lights set up will become that much easier.
Agreed. Do you have occurrences where a scene's look loads differently from when you saved it? And then you have to cycle click a few presets to get back to where it was.
My solution to this is to disable all map light, and re-light the map. But I don't know what's causing this, and if a mere preset can be tweaked so to load back the scene in exactly the same state as it was saved.

Reactions: Kaseijin

hkproduction

Game Developer
Sep 22, 2021
Agreed. Do you have occurrences where a scene's look loads differently from when you saved it? And then you have to cycle click a few presets to get back to where it was.
My solution to this is to disable all map light, and re-light the map. But I don't know what's causing this, and if a mere preset can be tweaked so to load back the scene in exactly the same state as it was saved.
With VNGE, there is a scene util helper that can export the dhh/graphic mod preset into the scene, and save the preset along with the scene.

When you load the scene, it will auto load the preset.

Sepheyer

Dec 21, 2020
With VNGE, there is a scene util helper that can export the dhh/graphic mod preset into the scene, and save the preset along with the scene.

When you load the scene, it will auto load the preset.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tested it, didn't work :(

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
Yes, some lighting effects can shift upon load. My solution (based on something I picked up from documentation of some mod/plugin (I think Graphics)) is to load the scene twice or even three times. So literally in the load menu, open it but then, when it has loaded, open it again.

hkproduction

Game Developer
Sep 22, 2021
Yes, some lighting effects can shift upon load. My solution (based on something I picked up from documentation of some mod/plugin (I think Graphics)) is to load the scene twice or even three times. So literally in the load menu, open it but then, when it has loaded, open it again.
Do you use VNGE to save and load character face expression too? I tried the tool in VNGE, it does save and load the eye and mouth, but not the eyebrow :((.

Really want it to work so that I can just load sad/angry… expression and not having to manually tweak the eyebrow, eye and mouth all the time :((

• Thinking Face

Kaseijin

Jul 9, 2022
HI!

I had that issue in the past. To manage it, I go to: StudioNeo2 system/character lighting/shadows and then tunr it off-on.
Sometimes the scenes I get from the web are too dark, or sometimes too bright, I don't now the reason why. so I go to Map (if available) and turn off all lights, if not, go to workspace and set all lights to default.

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
Do you use VNGE to save and load character face expression too? I tried the tool in VNGE, it does save and load the eye and mouth, but not the eyebrow :((.

Really want it to work so that I can just load sad/angry… expression and not having to manually tweak the eyebrow, eye and mouth all the time :((
For character expressions I use blend shape presets in HS2PE (is that what it's called? I forget, and don't have studio available atm). The tool that helps you with animating characters.

In HS2PE, click Advanced mode. Then go to the Blend Shapes tab. Then, on the left in that tab should be a list of Presets. It might be empty, make custom changes (under Head is where you find mouth, eye, eyebrow, and you can change teeth and tongue too, with Japanese names but just try them out to see) and then save a Preset when you have an expression you like.

Sepheyer

Dec 21, 2020

Yea, same with me. Looks like the eyebrows are not included in the presets :(

• Sad

Kaseijin

Jul 9, 2022

You're right! I just try that in a pos
Yea, same with me. Looks like the eyebrows are not included in the presets :(
Neither in Pose Library FFaces or XXPE Faces & Shapes :/

ninetofive

Oct 23, 2019
Have you guys checked your vnactor.ini to make sure it is saving the settings you want? Most of them are set to 0 by default so have a look and make sure it's set up how you'd like it (game dir\bepinex\plugins\console\lib). Idk if you can save the default face settings but you can save blendshapes, bonemod etc.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote