Unreal Engine Abandoned Immature Commander [v1.09.30 Public] [Unzerios]

EAT
Trial Moderator
Uploader
Aug 5, 2016
ice_screenshot_20181220-053211.png

Overview:
The game is inspired by older JRPG's and will be created in Unreal Engine 4. All character models are 3D and animated. My goal is to create a free game with extra content for patreons that wont affect the Main Storyline.​

Thread Updated: 2019-03-22
Release Date: 2019-01-04
Developer website: Unzerios
Censored: None
Version: 1.09.30 Public
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DOWNLOAD
Win: - -

Build 2 Previews

If you have enough of waiting for Build 2 here something else for you:
Super Waifu Strip Poker

ice_screenshot_20181220-053211.png ice_screenshot_20181220-052013.png ice_screenshot_20181220-052420.png ice_screenshot_20181220-052618.png ice_screenshot_20181220-053803.png ice_screenshot_20180625-194621.png ice_screenshot_20180830-142658.png ice_screenshot_20180830-144433.png ice_screenshot_20180830-145554.png ice_screenshot_20181030-132046.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Goblin Slayer

Aug 4, 2017
I Remember playing this game long time ago when you only had 1 room for testing, now it looks alot better, but probably at least until you get more patreons you should give free the patreon version of the game to give you publicity and when you have 100+ patreons (or any number you want) then you can make a paid and free version. This game has potential and im sure more people will support you.

UNzer!ös

Game Developer
May 11, 2018
@Goblin Slayer
Thank you so much for your kind words.

Its the first time I'm doing a massive and ambitious project like this one. I made many mistakes comming to this point and one of the biggest was to try to monetize the project way to early. So your point is defenitly valid. However to back down from my promises to my patrons is an absolut no go for me. I'm not privileged to anyones money and I don't care if I have 1 or 100 or more patrons. I respect and appreciat anyone that puts his money into this project even if it means more work for me.

I also want to say that the game is and will be free to play. Patrons get more cusomization options, Items that help getting faster trough the game and some bonus side content. But the Main Game is free.

Again thank you for your input.

Reactions: Goblin Slayer
May 30, 2017
Acknowledging that early monetization was a bad idea last time, but then doing it again because reasons is not very reassuring.

Also making the free game grindy in order to sell people the ability to NOT play the game as much pretty much means you view the gameplay as a chore. Which isn't that enticing. At least the asking price is only $1 but, ehhhhhhh.

Add to that T-poses, like 3 different art styles on the same screen for no reason, and eyes deader than batman's parents and you get a game that doesnt really grab me.

Desuro

Sep 6, 2016
Just wow, like HOLY HELL a male mc ? who is rescued by a childhood friend (girl) that can lift a fucking dagger (sword) that the mc can't with a shitty dialogue to show how awesome, stronger and humble she is in a tutorial that have more "Immortal Commander is loading please wait" screens than actual tutorial (I dont count the walls of text cuz thats not the best way to show ppl how to play i felt like i was treated like an idiot who never in his life played a game). My god i dont even care about the "unique" graphics and "unique" looking animations but the dagger situation really pissed me off, i can understand the whole "from zero to hero" deal but cmon thats too much of a zero and I really dont even want to bother making him a hero besides that the bravery point system is a neat thing to lock events behind to make players grind or watch other events first, not very enticing but understandable cuz its used quite often in adult games (lust, courage, pervesion etc.)

Reactions: UNzer!ös

Azarni

May 30, 2018
idea is kinda nice but it needs a graphic update.......... a big one. Will download it. eventually even support on patreon

Razeluxe

Mar 18, 2018
But sometimes you have to say things that aren't nice so that someone can improve. If no one said anything at all, then this would get buried and forgotten. And if we told the dev "this looks good :) No problems here at all" then horrifying model issues like that one picture might never get changed/updated because "well if it's good then there's no problem!"

DuDraig

Oct 6, 2017
This game looks like it has potential despite the very primitive models and UI. It's nice to see function and story getting a priority.

However, there are a few issues that prevent me from playing this game beyond the introductory tutorial.
  • The most critical is: The size of the screens is larger than the current resolution. That is, full sized dialogs that fill the screen are being cut off on the right side because they are larger than what can be displayed in the current resolution. My native screen resolution is 1680x1050. I can not get past the Kitchen screen of Naris' mother because the Close/Exit button has been cut off on the right size. I've clicked "Cook" to make her Vegetable (mis-spelled as "Vegetebale" on the screen) Pie, the conversation dialog for Naris' mother popped up saying she'll do the first one for free, but there is no Next or Close button on that dialog and there is no Close or Exit button for the Kitchen screen. You can see this in the image provided. I can not exit the Kitchen and continue the game. The image also shows the Shop Level, shop level progress bar, and shop points button are partially cut off. All of the full sized screens are like this.
    Naris Mother's Kitchen Screen.png
  • The bright yellow "Immature Commander Loading" full screen is, I believe, a war crime. It actually causes physical pain to your eyes each time it comes up. :eek:
  • There doesn't seem to be any set of keystrokes you can use instead of the mouse clicks to navigate dialogs or screens. For example: There is no keystroke to close or exit a screen (like escape). One exception is that you can use <enter> to progress to the next conversation dialog.
  • The graphics resolutions configuration screen does not change the resolution of the screen or the size of the displayed images. If functions are disabled or not yet implemented, they should be marked as such so the player knows it is intended that they not yet work.
Here is a list of other issues to provide, what I hope will be, helpful feedback.
  • One of the fundamental rules of games is that you never remove from the player their control over the progression of the game. Specifically, there should never be a conversation text dialog that disappears automatically. Every text dialog should have a button that has to be clicked (or a keystroke pressed) before the text will be removed and the game proceeds. There are many such dialogs in this game that continue automatically after a pause. Games are played in real life that can always interrupt a player: people/pets/pizza-roll-microwave-timers, emergency bathroom runs, sex toy deliveries, cops at the door that must be convinced that your daughter is a good girl who was asleep in her room at that time :rolleyes:, and a player needs to know that the game will be in the same place when they return. Every dialog should have a "continue" button and every cut-scene video should toggle pause/play with a keystroke.
  • Unfortunately, the Unreal Engine convenience function that automatically scales text to fit the given area is horribly abused by most developers and creates text sizes that are far too small to comfortably read. There are a number of tutorial and conversation dialogs that suffer from this and are very hard to read. There should be a minimum font size (hopefully player configurable) that will appear in a scrollable list box if the text size exceeds the given text area.
  • Fonts on textured backgrounds are very hard to read. A textured background for a dialog or screen is fine as long as smaller text is placed in a non-textured box making it easier to read.
  • Colors that are near or complementary on a color wheel make text impossible to read. Examples: red text on a blue or blue-green background (like the dev notes - this also creates problems for people with the more common forms of color blindness), yellow text on a white or bright background (like the yellow colored point gain notifications in the top middle of the screen), and black on dark colors (like the bravery points in the upper left status box). Stroking (outlining) fonts can help (like the yellow "Frustration" text in the white bar in the upper right.
  • The English spelling and grammar is bad enough to make some text difficult to understand (what the hell is "boni" ... Googling ... Oh! "bonuses", or in proper English game terms "buffs". Are you French?). For developers who use the F95Zone forums for feedback, sometimes they find it helpful to post a text document with their game texts and allow the forum users to help in correcting spelling and grammar, and suggesting alternate and more understandable wording. You could also find someone with good English skills to proofread all your texts.
  • The save game button gives you no positive feedback that anything was done. Also, there appears to be only one save slot, always an annoying problem.
  • When you call up certain functions, like menu (M) or interact (I), it takes a very long time for that screen to come up. Since nothing immediately happens, the player has no idea if they are waiting for the function, if they missed the button, or if the game has crashed. There should be an immediate change (like an hourglass cursor) that tells the player the requested function is coming up.
Unfortunately, I can't yet provide any feedback on the story and characters since I can not get beyond the Naris Mother's Kitchen screen.

Again, my congratulations on this offering. It shows a lot of promise despite some of the difficulties in using Unreal Engine. I hope you find my initial observations helpful and I hope to see a quick fix to the resolution problem so that I can continue to play the game.

I do have one character opinion though. Naris needs to be spanked for her treatment of her mother. She obviously does not know the definition of "mother", which is either the woman who birthed you (a mother by blood) or the woman who raised you (a mother by family). Both are "real" mothers and do not have to be the same person. Naris needs a solid ass-warming over the knees for hurting her mother like that. :sneaky: ... or maybe another good sliming. :devilish:

UNzer!ös

Game Developer
May 11, 2018
Oh wow your away for some days and this happens. Thanks for the inputs.

@Aila @grgrgr5 @nerm
Do you guys have problems with the eyes in general or only with this one model? Thank you

Intro cut-scene needs to be shorter or skippable.
Yes, I will make the dialogue skippable. Thank you

Acknowledging that early monetization was a bad idea last time, but then doing it again because reasons is not very reassuring.
I believe you miss understood me. I did the monetization only once. And didn't back away from it because I always had at least 1 patreon. So the initial offer is just still going.

Also making the free game grindy in order to sell people the ability to NOT play the game as much pretty much means you view the gameplay as a chore. Which isn't that enticing. At least the asking price is only $1 but, ehhhhhhh.
Not really. The game is grindy because I personally like RPGs and games in general that have much more to offer beyond the main story. Going trough the main story won't be grindy but doing all the side quests and completing a character for 100% will be. Also the game is far from finished. SO if the game is too grindy and it is a general concern I will change it.
I believe you guys are too focused on the patreon version. The stat the AAA game industry is in I can't really blame you

The game is completly FREE.
You don't like the game tell me why and I will try to improve it. If that not works I'm sorry the game is not for everyone it seems.
You like the game. Great! Play it for free, maybe give me feedback so I can improve certain things.
You like my work you want to see the game improving and you have a dollar in your pocket you wanna give me. Cool, thank you so much, here have some bonus content!

Thats all. Thank you for your feedback.

Just wow, like HOLY HELL a male mc ? who is rescued by a childhood friend (girl) that can lift a fucking dagger (sword) that the mc can't with a shitty dialogue to show how awesome, stronger and humble she is in a tutorial
The story shouldn't be taken too serious. Also the scene is not oh wow look how strong the girl is more like how weak the MC is. The girl will struggle alot while the story continues. I needed an excuse for the MC to be in the backrow and let the girls fight for him because thats kinda the premise of the game, having a harem of girls that fight for you.
English is not my first language so I'm sorry that the dialogues are not the quality you were hoping for. I will hire an editor as soon as I can afford one.
I'm also sorry that the scene was not clear enough and you missunderstood it and got offended by it...for some reason. Probaby the culture war nonsense is a little bit too much in your head. Not everything is a cultural statement and I most defently not doing any in this game (expect making fun of it sometimes^^)

(I dont count the walls of text cuz thats not the best way to show ppl how to play i felt like i was treated like an idiot who never in his life played a game)
I'm sorry you felt like an idiot. This was not my intend at all. The tutorial is from a time I didn't had much more of the game yet and I wanted to show the ideas behind combat and other game mechanics. THats why so much text. I knew I have to change this at some point. Seeing all this feedback I have to change the tutorial section rather sooner then later.

the bravery point system is a neat thing to lock events behind to make players grind or watch other events first, not very enticing but understandable cuz its used quite often in adult games (lust, courage, pervesion etc.)
I wouldn't say adult games more games in general. Its not a mechanic that locks events behind grind its a mechanic that rewards player for playing the game. It's how games work! Not many games i know off or I enjoy start with everything unlocked from the start. If you don't like that, on the title screen you can jump into the showcase mode and start with the adult content without having to unlock anything.

Thank you for your feedback

idea is kinda nice but it needs a graphic update.......... a big one. Will download it. eventually even support on patreon
Thank you for your interest. I'm working almost everyday on the game try to improve it and adding stuff. I'm still learning the engine and everything else. I hope one day the game will be to your liking. But you have to be patient. It will be a long process. If there is more specific feedback you can give me, I'm listening.

i'm just here to tell you what my mama told me. She said: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say nothing not at all, ain't ya!
Thats stupid. critizism is they way to improve in anything in life. Its probably your mama's fault that there are so many snowflakes running around in the internet being offended by everything and anything. You can tell her this as constructive critizism so she can improve. ;)

But sometimes you have to say things that aren't nice so that someone can improve. If no one said anything at all, then this would get buried and forgotten. And if we told the dev "this looks good :) No problems here at all" then horrifying model issues like that one picture might never get changed/updated because "well if it's good then there's no problem!"
Yes, please give me harsh critzism. I can take it and I want to improve the game. Thank you.

@DuDraig
Thank you so much for taking the time writing such a detailed feedback. Please give me a little bit more time to go trough your post so I can give you a better response. But thank you, really.

Oh man, you guys are brutal. You broke my heart so many times.
But please stay like this. I want to create the best game possible and this is exactly the feedback I need.

Thank you all for taking the time checking the game out.
Updates will follow

Desuro

Sep 6, 2016
I needed an excuse for the MC to be in the backrow and let the girls fight for him because thats kinda the premise of the game, having a harem of girls that fight for you.
Yeah i get it, even the name of the game suggest he will be a Commander but u dont need to make him a pathetic loser who cant lift a "sword" for example u can have him finding her in a tight spot but instead of helping directly he calms and boost her morale then tell her what to do to kill the monster, after asked why he didnt fight he can be like "I dont really like dirty work" or "Im against violence (he laugh wryly)" hell u can even leave a "..." and these are just simple ones that leaves a ton of posibilities why he really didnt fight, it can work as a bluff not showing he is a total wimp and strongly suggest he will be a Commander (+you have more space for mc backstory), but thats just my take on the situation and i didnt really finished the tutorial so I dont know if my idea is even valid with the story already in the game but still besides that its good to know that the harem will fight for him as i hate this type of games still I wish you luck with the development !!

UNzer!ös

Game Developer
May 11, 2018
This game looks like it has potential despite the very primitive models and UI. It's nice to see function and story getting a priority.
Thank you and I'm sorry that the models are not to your liking. I'll try to improve everything. But it takes time. A day just has not enough hours. Yes the UI. The widget system in UE is something I'm at war with. The only thing I don't really like with the engine. To all your other complains abut the UI I may hire a 2D designer in the future to help me with things like that. Patreon is so I can afford stuff like that.

The most critical is: The size of the screens is larger than the current resolution. That is, full sized dialogs that fill the screen are being cut off on the right side because they are larger than what can be displayed in the current resolution. My native screen resolution is 1680x1050. I can not get past the Kitchen screen of Naris' mother because the Close/Exit button has been cut off on the right size. I've clicked "Cook" to make her Vegetable (mis-spelled as "Vegetebale" on the screen) Pie, the conversation dialog for Naris' mother popped up saying she'll do the first one for free, but there is no Next or Close button on that dialog and there is no Close or Exit button for the Kitchen screen. You can see this in the image provided. I can not exit the Kitchen and continue the game. The image also shows the Shop Level, shop level progress bar, and shop points button are partially cut off. All of the full sized screens are like this.
OK noted. I'm really sorry about that. Right now I'm limited to work with a notebook and its difficult to test everything over
1360x768. I know its not your problem but until I can afford a new PC I'm affraid I have to depend on feedbacks like this to improve. The resolution menu is actually more for changing the UI size because of problems like this. I know this may not be an acceptable fix but it is the only fix I can offer you right now. Lower the resolution in the menu so you can see eveything on the screen to continiue with the game. I hope I will find a more acceptable fix in the near future. I also want to add window mode as a feeture so the game is not fixed on the screen size.
Changing the graphic resolution you can do that in the world HUD on the left side under shortcuts. However I'm afraid the game starts with the best graphic settings it has to offer right now.

The bright yellow "Immature Commander Loading" full screen is, I believe, a war crime. It actually causes physical pain to your eyes each time it comes up.
I'm sorry the general idea I had with the loading screen was to show random illustrations everytime it pops up. I deleted this option because of a bug and didn't fix it because it wasn't very high on my priority list. I may have to rethink my priority list. I didn't know it was such a problem ^^

There doesn't seem to be any set of keystrokes you can use instead of the mouse clicks to navigate dialogs or screens. For example: There is no keystroke to close or exit a screen (like escape). One exception is that you can use <enter> to progress to the next conversation dialog.
I made the game with mouse control in mind. I will try to ad feetures to support this with the keyboard. However may be a bigger fix that will take some time.

One of the fundamental rules of games is that you never remove from the player their control over the progression of the game. Specifically, there should never be a conversation text dialog that disappears automatically. Every text dialog should have a button that has to be clicked (or a keystroke pressed) before the text will be removed and the game proceeds. There are many such dialogs in this game that continue automatically after a pause. Games are played in real life that can always interrupt a player: people/pets/pizza-roll-microwave-timers, emergency bathroom runs, sex toy deliveries, cops at the door that must be convinced that your daughter is a good girl who was asleep in her room at that time :rolleyes:, and a player needs to know that the game will be in the same place when they return. Every dialog should have a "continue" button and every cut-scene video should toggle pause/play with a keystroke.
Yes, so future dialog options have this implemented. I just haven't changed it in the introduction section yet. There is actually a pause button "P". But at the moment it is still limited.

The English spelling and grammar is bad enough to make some text difficult to understand (what the hell is "boni" ... Googling ... Oh! "bonuses", or in proper English game terms "buffs". Are you French?). For developers who use the F95Zone forums for feedback, sometimes they find it helpful to post a text document with their game texts and allow the forum users to help in correcting spelling and grammar, and suggesting alternate and more understandable wording. You could also find someone with good English skills to proofread all your texts.
I'm swiss so close. I'm from the german speaking part but french is very strongly implemented in our language. I know my english is not good enough. So I wanted to hire an editor in the future. Again for things like that I have my patreon. However if there are really users that want to help, I of course wont say no. But I can offer only access to the Patreon Version of my game in return.

The save game button gives you no positive feedback that anything was done. Also, there appears to be only one save slot, always an annoying problem.
I probably will delete it. It has no purpose. The game has a dynamic autosave system saving everytime a variable changes. I just left it because some ppl like to have control ^^
More save slots will come. I'm working on it. The biggest problem is that I don't want to corrupt old save files.

When you call up certain functions, like menu (M) or interact (I), it takes a very long time for that screen to come up. Since nothing immediately happens, the player has no idea if they are waiting for the function, if they missed the button, or if the game has crashed. There should be an immediate change (like an hourglass cursor) that tells the player the requested function is coming up.
Normally the loading screen should open. Its possible that there is a problem in the code there. But now I'm hesitating to add the loading screen to more occasions :p

Again, my congratulations on this offering. It shows a lot of promise despite some of the difficulties in using Unreal Engine. I hope you find my initial observations helpful and I hope to see a quick fix to the resolution problem so that I can continue to play the game.
Oh wow thank you. I'm happy you liked the idea. Very helpful thank you so much. I hope the fix I wrote down will help for the moment and I'll working on a permanent fix.

I do have one character opinion though. Naris needs to be spanked for her treatment of her mother. She obviously does not know the definition of "mother", which is either the woman who birthed you (a mother by blood) or the woman who raised you (a mother by family). Both are "real" mothers and do not have to be the same person. Naris needs a solid ass-warming over the knees for hurting her mother like that. :sneaky: ... or maybe another good sliming.
S P A N K I N G A N I M A T I O N .... ok made a note. Will add it in a future update ;)

UNzer!ös

Game Developer
May 11, 2018
Yeah i get it, even the name of the game suggest he will be a Commander but u dont need to make him a pathetic loser who cant lift a "sword" for example u can have him finding her in a tight spot but instead of helping directly he calms and boost her morale then tell her what to do to kill the monster, after asked why he didnt fight he can be like "I dont really like dirty work" or "Im against violence (he laugh wryly)" hell u can even leave a "..." and these are just simple ones that leaves a ton of posibilities why he really didnt fight, it can work as a bluff not showing he is a total wimp and strongly suggest he will be a Commander (+you have more space for mc backstory), but thats just my take on the situation and i didnt really finished the tutorial so I dont know if my idea is even valid with the story already in the game but still besides that its good to know that the harem will fight for him as i hate this type of games still I wish you luck with the development !!
Thank you for your feedback. I will think about a way to improve his back story. I'm sorry if my response was a little bit to harsh. But nowdays you can't write a story anymore without someone complaining about the females are too strong, or there are not enough strong females or there is not enough inclusion and things like that. So I'm getting a little bit annoyed by things like that and I'm sorry I let it out on you.
I'm also sorry that the game is not to your liking. I can't please everyone and that is also not my goal. Maybe someday I will develope a title that is more to your liking and I hope I will then get your feedback again. Thank you for taking your time to responed.

DuDraig

Oct 6, 2017
... To all your other complains...
Now, now... These were hopefully helpful observations and feedback, not complaints. Well... except for the bright yellow loading screen. :whistle:
The resolution menu is actually more for changing the UI size because of problems like this.
My OP said: "The graphics resolutions configuration screen does not change the resolution of the screen or the size of the displayed images. ". Changing the resolution in either the in-game or title menu settings has no effect.

Fortunately, I rubbed two aged and desiccated brain cells together and remembered from waaaaaay back before all of those tutorial screens that the game load system had an option to load the game but place you in your home. Doing this allowed me to get out of her kitchen with the recipe but not the pie (Waaaah! :eek: I like pie!). At least I can now play past that point and go adventuring.
Yes, so future dialog options have this implemented. I just haven't changed it in the introduction section yet. There is actually a pause button "P". But at the moment it is still limited.
The 'P' pause function does not work during cut-scenes, which is where most of the automatic dialog progression occurs.
I'm swiss so close.
Swiss!?!? :oops: No wonder the battles are so vicious. <chuckle>
... However if there are really users that want to help, I of course wont say no. But I can offer only access to the Patreon Version of my game in return.
That is the usual remuneration for significant help provided from forum users. Not a problem.

One other problem I forgot to mention that should never be missing from any game offering: Audio volume control. I have to play this game muted since the background music is so loud. There should be separate volume controls for at least the background music and the sound effects. This allows a player to squelch the background music to a level that does not make your ears bleed while still allowing them to hear the sound effects.

Thank you very much for your responses. Your acknowledgment and efforts towards addressing issues is greatly appreciated. Ah'm gonna go whack slimes and wait for your next update. :cool: