VN Ren'Py In for a Penny [v0.51] [Moist Sponge Productions]

3.50 star(s) 56 Votes

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Are we playing the same game? I haven't replayed old episodes, but as they have been released, I have really enjoyed them, nd this latest update was good as well. The whole, alpha, beta male BS is tired, so is is much better to explain your reasoning using specific descriptions. Don't use shorthand terms as a substitute for actual thought if you want to get your point across.

Having at least some prior interaction with each of the women, and learning what they like and dislike, is just called character development. If you want a mindless sex fest, why are you playing a Virtual Novel? Try Honey Select or any of Illusions other games, or one of the unity sex games. This isn't a corruption game, or sadism, so if you are looking for that, there are tags for that. Basicaly, the MC is trying to make the best out of a weird situation, and doesn't want to throw out all his previous morals or character, just because he is in an artificial environment. This makes it more interesting as a story, strange as it all is, for the player.

So, for those that don't like how the direction of the MC is going, what is the problem? Is he supposed to just go grab every women in the game as fast as possible? What fun is that, as a player?

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Are we playing the same game? I haven't replayed old episodes, but as they have been released, I have really enjoyed them, nd this latest update was good as well. The whole, alpha, beta male BS is tired, so is is much better to explain your reasoning using specific descriptions. Don't use shorthand terms as a substitute for actual thought if you want to get your point across.

Having at least some prior interaction with each of the women, and learning what they like and dislike, is just called character development. If you want a mindless sex fest, why are you playing a Virtual Novel? Try Honey Select or any of Illusions other games, or one of the unity sex games. This isn't a corruption game, or sadism, so if you are looking for that, there are tags for that. Basicaly, the MC is trying to make the best out of a weird situation, and doesn't want to throw out all his previous morals or character, just because he is in an artificial environment. This makes it more interesting as a story, strange as it all is, for the player.

So, for those that don't like how the direction of the MC is going, what is the problem? Is he supposed to just go grab every women in the game as fast as possible? What fun is that, as a player?
I gave my opinion based on a comment made, based on playing this when it was first released. I don't necessarily want a non-stop fuckfest either, but I also don't care to play a game where the MC is constantly cockblocking himself, which is the feeling I got when I first played the game. I'm here because I wanted to see if that has changed. If it has, I will give it another try. If it hasn't I will continue to check back in from time to time. Either way, please continue to enjoy the game. It's ok to not like the same games. :)

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019

I ignore any poster who uses the terms: beta simp alpha. There maybe non - idjits that use them words in posts but I just ignore them all, as it's better that way.

Gmandingo

Nov 3, 2019
Hi all my compressed unofficial Android port of In For A Penny 0.24
Usual gestures, save name/delete, seethru textbox, resizeable game and dialogue text.
Scrollable choices (when multiple and large)
Scrollable textbox - no more text off the bottom of your screen
Alternative persistent saves/log location
Grant storage permissions on first run!

Mega
Please update

BadxHero

May 29, 2020
Making the mc a gay that's forced to breed women is at least original. :KEK:
Is this...actually a thing? Because, if it is...then oh god.

Edit: Having read through the earlier text edits, I can see that this is not the case so far. But I'm only at the beginning of the game since I wanted to see all of the edits for the earlier parts of the game. And, what I have noticed is that it still does not give proper context as to why the main character is hesitant to participate in the experiment. There isn't anything in regards to why he might feel having sex with all of the women of the town would be a bad thing, due to his past experiences with woman or his own personal beliefs. Sure, there is the bit about his fear of being objectified by them, but that isn't expanded on in the script edits. There isn't really all that much, to be honest. Though, they did take out some of the whining in the very beginning.

It's a start, but I still have to look through some of the rest of the script to see if there are any additional changes that help inform the reader as to why the main character isn't literally jumping for joy at the thought of having sex with more than a dozen willing partners.

Last edited:

dartis

Oct 15, 2016
Honestly, I thought this update was better than the last few. We finally bagged sally and touched base with our family. The only problem was Roy and Nyx; both of whom joined late in the game and don't really contribute anything. Whatever Nyx does - Sister Anne did better and Roy just shouts a lot. I really felt the problem of this game, in its current state, in the new gym section where we talk to Roy and Roy with boobs and got more lore about a planet that doesn't matter and then we talked to our sister and got so little time with her. She talks about what her daughters are up to and then went to talk to Roy. Fuck that. I want to know more about her and our relationship. This game would work better if you cut some of the chaff.

But I don't see that happening. So, I suggest pulling together a lot of events in a row that act as an excuse to draw a lot of characters together. Throw a few parties and let us mingle. That way, Nyx and Roy can fade into the background, we can catch up with multiple people at once, and don't have to spend time travelling.

BadxHero

May 29, 2020

The problem is that while he's not supposed to act like some mindless chad, none of his behavior matches that of any real-life heterosexual male. He doesn't have to be on board after having his life completely upended by aliens from outer space, but he could at least show SOME enthusiasm towards forging a relationship with more than a dozen willing partners. Even if most of them only want him because he's literally the "last male on Earth". Which, honestly, really sucks for him. But, I digress.

The point is that there are games that have the exact premise where the male-lead is the "last male on earth" and that character, while somewhat unwilling, ends up slowly coming around to the idea of such a way in a believable way. Because, at every turn, there is always some indication that the MC is a straight male that actually has an sexual attraction to women.

In this game, there are some indications that the John actually finds some of the women in the town attractive, but all of that is squandered by his incessant whining. Really, the guy never stops complaining about how he has to have sex with someone. Especially when he's been genetically modified to literally go "all night long". It makes no sense. None. At all.

I would prefer it if he were like the other reluctant characters that have made a point of both recognizing they are in a weird situation, but CHOOSING to make the best of it that they can. Because, the alternative is getting killed or going bat-shit insane at the sheer absurdity of their situation. But this male-lead doesn't do that, even after repeated words of encouragement by multiple women in the town who have fully expressed their desire and their support for him.

It's infuriating and no man would ever act like this. Ever. It's beyond even the reaches of fiction to convince someone that there exists a straight man that is about as eager as a gay guy to have sex with a straight woman.

But to say that he's actually gay (I'm not sure that he is, because I am restarting from the very beginning) makes this even worse. Because you're basically saying that if you put anyone in a position like this, then they would be willing to fuck anyone that comes along. Which isn't true, considering the way that Alison reacted even after her scene with the main character.

It would just make more sense to have it be that he's been a series of bad relationships that have pretty much put him off towards women or make him think that they're too much of a hassle after a particularly bad one. That makes more sense and is much more believable than something as crazy as his being gay or something insane like that. Holy hell.

Reactions: zack200 and Cotytto

dartis

Oct 15, 2016
The problem is that while he's not supposed to act like some mindless chad, none of his behavior matches that of any real-life heterosexual male. He doesn't have to be on board after having his life completely upended by aliens from outer space, but he could at least show SOME enthusiasm towards forging a relationship with more than a dozen willing partners. Even if most of them only want him because he's literally the "last male on Earth". Which, honestly, really sucks for him. But, I digress.

The point is that there are games that have the exact premise where the male-lead is the "last male on earth" and that character, while somewhat unwilling, ends up slowly coming around to the idea of such a way in a believable way. Because, at every turn, there is always some indication that the MC is a straight male that actually has an sexual attraction to women.

In this game, there are some indications that the John actually finds some of the women in the town attractive, but all of that is squandered by his incessant whining. Really, the guy never stops complaining about how he has to have sex with someone. Especially when he's been genetically modified to literally go "all night long". It makes no sense. None. At all.

I would prefer it if he were like the other reluctant characters that have made a point of both recognizing they are in a weird situation, but CHOOSING to make the best of it that they can. Because, the alternative is getting killed or going bat-shit insane at the sheer absurdity of their situation. But this male-lead doesn't do that, even after repeated words of encouragement by multiple women in the town who have fully expressed their desire and their support for him.

It's infuriating and no man would ever act like this. Ever. It's beyond even the reaches of fiction to convince someone that there exists a straight man that is about as eager as a gay guy to have sex with a straight woman.

But to say that he's actually gay (I'm not sure that he is, because I am restarting from the very beginning) makes this even worse. Because you're basically saying that if you put anyone in a position like this, then they would be willing to fuck anyone that comes along. Which isn't true, considering the way that Alison reacted even after her scene with the main character.

It would just make more sense to have it be that he's been a series of bad relationships that have pretty much put him off towards women or make him think that they're too much of a hassle after a particularly bad one. That makes more sense and is much more believable than something as crazy as his being gay or something insane like that. Holy hell.
Where does he complain? He shows unwillingness to have sex with family. But that's about it.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Thanks for the explanation. I am not trying to convince anyone to change their mind about the game. Everyone likes what they like. But I for one, just don't see it what you and a few others are getting at.

I get no sense that the MC is gay, that he doesn't like sex with women, or that he is especially reluctant. I haven't counted, but I think he has had sex with around 10 women by now in about a week. Not too shabby.

I think he is more interested in why they are all there, what is going on with the gods, and various other aspects of the story, to be focused on sex 100% of the time, and that is fine. For me at least, that part of the story is more interesting anyway. There is pretty much one or two sex scenes every update anyway, so I really don't understand all the dissatisfaction.

Like dartis said, other than his family members, which is a reasonable response obviously, I don't see in the game that he is reluctant at all. Maybe for a few of the characters that seem to hate him, but what do you expect? He understands that he is expected to have sex with everyone, eventually, and seems overall good with the plan, though quite surprised how everything is going, and still trying to make sense of everything.

Sure, the game is not the most realistic, but I think that Moist Sponge has done a very good job creating a crazy situation, and making the MC and most of the other characters behave reasonably, except for maybe the girls in the convent, but that is played more for laughs, so that is good too.

The key is to not take this game too seriously, and just have fun with the craziness.

Honestly, I thought this update was better than the last few. We finally bagged sally and touched base with our family. The only problem was Roy and Nyx; both of whom joined late in the game and don't really contribute anything. Whatever Nyx does - Sister Anne did better and Roy just shouts a lot.
I mostly agree. I might be the only one that doesn't mind Roy. Yes, his dialog is silly and doesn't seem to add much, but I get a chuckle out of it. Similar to the bully turned pumped up imbicile in Once in a Lifetime. He is good for a laugh now and then.

You are right about Nix. Probably there is something the dev has planned with her, but she is much more bland, and without Sister Anne's great sense of humor. I would much rather Sister Anne be the MCs secretary. I know she would love the job!

Last edited:

BadxHero

May 29, 2020
Where does he complain? He shows unwillingness to have sex with family. But that's about it.

In the previous updates before the edits were made, the main character complained almost relentlessly about having to have sex with the women that he had met. Now, most of that has disappeared in favor of more reasonable hesitation that have valid reasons behind it. For example, the mc expresses a bit of distaste for having to having to do a scene with Sister Gina. But that has since been replaced with the mc questioning his decision to go through with it, but doing it anyway to make her feel good. Which, to be completely honest, is exactly how he should be acting in an insane situation like this.

There are numerous other examples of instances in which the MC expressed some distaste or reluctance to participate in whatever sexual activity that any of the women wanted him to engage in at the time. However, for the sake of brevity and the lack of spoilers, I won't really add more here since that would be telling. But, in any case, there have been multiple times where the MC has straight up made a point of outright complaining about the fact that he has to fuck anyone at all.That's what has had everyone so annoyed and frustrated with the main character. A fact that even the creator themselves has admitted to.

Reactions: zack200

BadxHero

May 29, 2020
Thanks for the explanation. I am not trying to convince anyone to change their mind about the game. Everyone likes what they like. But I for one, just don't see it what you and a few others are getting at.

I get no sense that the MC is gay, that he doesn't like sex with women, or that he is especially reluctant. I haven't counted, but I think he has had sex with around 10 women by now in about a week. Not too shabby.

I think he is more interested in why they are all there, what is going on with the gods, and various other aspects of the story, to be focused on sex 100% of the time, and that is fine. For me at least, that part of the story is more interesting anyway. There is pretty much one or two sex scenes every update anyway, so I really don't understand all the dissatisfaction.

Like dartis said, other than his family members, which is a reasonable response obviously, I don't see in the game that he is reluctant at all. Maybe for a few of the characters that seem to hate him, but what do you expect? He understands that he is expected to have sex with everyone, eventually, and seems overall good with the plan, though quite surprised how everything is going, and still trying to make sense of everything.

Sure, the game is not the most realistic, but I think that Moist Sponge has done a very good job creating a crazy situation, and making the MC and most of the other characters behave reasonably, except for maybe the girls in the convent, but that is played more for laughs, so that is good too.

The key is to not take this game too seriously, and just have fun with the craziness.

I mostly agree. I might be the only one that doesn't mind Roy. Yes, his dialog is silly and doesn't seem to add much, but I get a chuckle out of it. Similar to the bully turned pumped up imbicile in Once in a Lifetime. He is good for a laugh now and then.

You are right about Nix. Probably there is something the dev has planned with her, but she is much more bland, and without Sister Anne's great sense of humor. I would much rather Sister Anne be the MCs secretary. I know she would love the job!
To be honest, I get the sense that you are basing this off of the text from the most recent update, as opposed to the text that was written in prior updates. Because, as I mentioned to another user, there have been numerous examples as to which the main character has expressed his reluctance or his irritation with having to have sex with any of the women to begin with. sure, he shows that he's still a guy with a sexual attraction to women, but that was quickly thrown away whenever he encountered the women that he was with. There would always be some negative comment on how he didn't want to do this or that. Or have to do this or that. It was frustrating and it only made a lot of people even angrier with every update.

Also, I don't really think the game needs to be realistic. It's just that I believe that main character should do things that are reasonable and believable within the bounds of logic and human possibility. It makes no sense for a guy, who isn't gay nor has any misogynist beliefs, to complain so much about having sex with a woman and then internally whine while having sex. No one would do that. Ever. So, there's no reason for him to complain unless there's a valid reason for him to complain.

For example, I talked with another user earlier about the scene with Sister Gina. In the previous and current versions of that scene, he complained about having to have sex immediately in the morning. That is a reasonable issue to have and to take issue with. It is not reasonable for him to complain about the fact that he has to do it at all and then keep bitching about even after he's done with the whole thing. It's ridiculous. It makes him look less like a normal human being who would probably find the silver lining that there's someone that wants to actually fuck him and not cut off his dick with a rusty spoon. Especially when he knows that there are so many people that aren't the happiest to see him in the town.

But anyway, that's just the way that I and a lot of other people feel about it. The actions that he undertook before this showed him as a guy that was too far on the extreme side of an unwilling participant. Now, for all that I've read so far, he is more in the middle of someone that's trying to find a way to deal with an insane situation that has completely changed their life. And that's something that I like and that I'm proud of the creator for being able to do with so much criticism.

I had a knee-jerk reaction to someone saying that he was gay, but that was before I read it and I panicked because I honestly thought that MoistSponge may have actually gone off the deep end. Lol. But I can see that that wasn't the case in this update.

Jaxom3003

Feb 5, 2021
Just finished the recent update ... not a tremendous fan of starting over to get the "updated" dialogue. However, looking at some of the previous posts it seems to be a misunderstanding about the difference between character development and the character of the mc/player. As this is a visual novel there has to be character development supplied by the developer of the game. We get to see the player evolve (hopefully, as some VNs are really less story-driven and more action-driven) and have adventures/interactions/sex/whatever along the way.

Quite a few of the dissatisfied seem to think that the mc is lacking in proper motivation ... even before the rewrite of the dialogue there was a bad breakup involved prior to his abduction, so maybe he is gun shy when it comes to being with women. Frankly, it is a more interesting story when told from a differing viewpoint (not everyone is focused on personal gratification) so his "angst" in trying to be everything to everyone can be a strange road to go down for most.

That being said, I find that so far the writing has been above par, the story moves along, and there are some elements of humor (the muscle-bound meat heads).

I assume that there is going to be further story development about those "boring" (really, one electrocuted the mc, one is a goof, and one may windup finding out what sex is all about ... which may be odd as she has no genitals [or do the females of that planet have genitals when the males don't?]) characters, and my assumption is that there will be ... family fun, considering Jessica has the hots for the mc and joined the church and all, so one must assume the story with his family will progress ... just be a little patient.

I am looking forward to the next update, and hope that there is a chance of Red ... trying out the mc to see if it works on her.

Reactions: PapaChulo

BadxHero

May 29, 2020
Just finished the recent update ... not a tremendous fan of starting over to get the "updated" dialogue. However, looking at some of the previous posts it seems to be a misunderstanding about the difference between character development and the character of the mc/player. As this is a visual novel there has to be character development supplied by the developer of the game. We get to see the player evolve (hopefully, as some VNs are really less story-driven and more action-driven) and have adventures/interactions/sex/whatever along the way.

Quite a few of the dissatisfied seem to think that the mc is lacking in proper motivation ... even before the rewrite of the dialogue there was a bad breakup involved prior to his abduction, so maybe he is gun shy when it comes to being with women. Frankly, it is a more interesting story when told from a differing viewpoint (not everyone is focused on personal gratification) so his "angst" in trying to be everything to everyone can be a strange road to go down for most.

That being said, I find that so far the writing has been above par, the story moves along, and there are some elements of humor (the muscle-bound meat heads).

I assume that there is going to be further story development about those "boring" (really, one electrocuted the mc, one is a goof, and one may windup finding out what sex is all about ... which may be odd as she has no genitals [or do the females of that planet have genitals when the males don't?]) characters, and my assumption is that there will be ... family fun, considering Jessica has the hots for the mc and joined the church and all, so one must assume the story with his family will progress ... just be a little patient.

I am looking forward to the next update, and hope that there is a chance of Red ... trying out the mc to see if it works on her.
You're right. He did have a bad break up. But the problem was that none of that was his primary motivation for not wanting to do any of the things that they wanted. He never made a comparison or a reference to his ex-girlfriend's behavior when interacting with the other women. If he had, it would be understandable for him to refuse to do certain things, like with Diane's proposal. That could have been a perfect example of the type of behavior his ex-girlfriend engaged with him with. She selfishly cared more about her own personal issues than how her request would make the main character feel. And yeah, the main character had a bad reaction to it, but he made no references towards how it reminded him of his ex.

In addition, a lot of the character development that the main character had seemed to get lost because he would always have a complaint and act as though what he was doing was a huge chore. Even though he'd point out that all of the women around him were hot and how they made him hard or how he'd want to fuck them. At one point, he even asks for one of the women to bribe him with a sexual favor, despite having just previously made an effort of complaining about being used as a lab rat.

His behavior was contradictory at best and irritating and worst whenever you read it. However, with the new edits, most of those contradicting actions are gone in favor of more reasonable thoughts and opinions about his situation. He goes from being not quite on board about the whole thing, to slowly starting to get more and more into his role as the stud in the sexual aquarium. The guy doesn't want to be a dildo nor does he want to be a giga chad. He just wants to have a decent relationship that was miles better than the one in which he had with the woman that betrayed him back on Earth after all their hardship.

mdmnsjs1

Nov 21, 2018
it seems this game has gone to kinetic novel since theres no choices since june of 2021

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
You're right. He did have a bad break up. But the problem was that none of that was his primary motivation for not wanting to do any of the things that they wanted. He never made a comparison or a reference to his ex-girlfriend's behavior when interacting with the other women. If he had, it would be understandable for him to refuse to do certain things, like with Diane's proposal. That could have been a perfect example of the type of behavior his ex-girlfriend engaged with him with. She selfishly cared more about her own personal issues than how her request would make the main character feel. And yeah, the main character had a bad reaction to it, but he made no references towards how it reminded him of his ex.

In addition, a lot of the character development that the main character had seemed to get lost because he would always have a complaint and act as though what he was doing was a huge chore. Even though he'd point out that all of the women around him were hot and how they made him hard or how he'd want to fuck them. At one point, he even asks for one of the women to bribe him with a sexual favor, despite having just previously made an effort of complaining about being used as a lab rat.

His behavior was contradictory at best and irritating and worst whenever you read it. However, with the new edits, most of those contradicting actions are gone in favor of more reasonable thoughts and opinions about his situation. He goes from being not quite on board about the whole thing, to slowly starting to get more and more into his role as the stud in the sexual aquarium. The guy doesn't want to be a dildo nor does he want to be a giga chad. He just wants to have a decent relationship that was miles better than the one in which he had with the woman that betrayed him back on Earth after all their hardship.
Your comments above are why I stopped playing. Sounds like I need to give this another chance when I get the time.
Thanks for your comment.

3.50 star(s) 56 Votes