Aug 16, 2018
Landladies & Tenants Twine games store their saves in a browser-dependant fashion, typically in a large DB along with a bunch of other local data storage. If you still have your old computer, you can export the saves to standalone files, otherwise you're kinda screwed.
That's a good point, thanks. Just realized that I can save/load from a specific location. Now I won't need to re-acquire 160-something tokens.

By the way, any chance you know where ren'py save files are stored? Need to dig some of those out too.

HB38

Oct 3, 2017
Landladies & Tenants Twine games store their saves in a browser-dependant fashion, typically in a large DB along with a bunch of other local data storage. If you still have your old computer, you can export the saves to standalone files, otherwise you're kinda screwed.
Somewhat related - I've found that the game seems to remember everything you've ever done in every playthrough on your saves… would be nice if the game could cull most of the previous info out Wape as it creates longer load/save times. That, or have the endings/stats/etc saved separately from the game (I tend to save at the starting picker each playthrough so the cruft has gotten excessive in the save files).

kopareigns

Nov 25, 2017
Somewhat related - I've found that the game seems to remember everything you've ever done in every playthrough on your saves… would be nice if the game could cull most of the previous info out Wape as it creates longer load/save times. That, or have the endings/stats/etc saved separately from the game (I tend to save at the starting picker each playthrough so the cruft has gotten excessive in the save files).
To expand on this, it's the SugarCube.State.history object that's probably the easiest major thing to remove from the saves. SugarCube uses it so that players can jump back to previous pages to make different decisions, but this game doesn't allow that anyways. To disable it, simply put Config.history.maxStates = 1; in a script tagged passage.

I did a bit of testing myself by putting that line in the same area that the functions setup.findVar(), setup.initDB(), setup.grabCSV(), etc. are defined. Resulted in an immediate reduction in save file size of about 80% (~300kB -> ~60 kB).

Some other potentially low hanging fruit for save file size reduction might be to move all those $db_ variables into the setup object. I'm not seeing any reason for those to be contained in a save file.

HB38

Oct 3, 2017
Excellent work - I know more about Renpy than SugarCube but it all makes sense. Hopefully something similar can be implemented into the game if Wape agrees.

vince638

Oct 12, 2018
By the way, any chance you know where ren'py save files are stored? Need to dig some of those out too.
Sure, Ren'py usually stores saves in two places, which makes transferring stuff more convenient. First there's a game-local directory @ %gamedir%/game/saves/
Next there's a backup of that in your home directory @ %homedir%/.renpy/%internalgamename%/ (on recent windows versions it should be in %homedir%\AppData\Roaming\Renpy\%internalgamename%\ )
There may be incompatibilities between versions, so sometimes old saves just won't work anymore.

Aug 16, 2018
Sure, Ren'py usually stores saves in two places, which makes transferring stuff more convenient. First there's a game-local directory @ %gamedir%/game/saves/
Next there's a backup of that in your home directory @ %homedir%/.renpy/%internalgamename%/ (on recent windows versions it should be in %homedir%\AppData\Roaming\Renpy\%internalgamename%\ )
There may be incompatibilities between versions, so sometimes old saves just won't work anymore.
Terrific, thanks for this. Glad that I won't have to replay through a bunch of my favorite ren'py games!

Wape

Game Developer
Apr 8, 2018
To expand on this, it's the SugarCube.State.history object that's probably the easiest major thing to remove from the saves. SugarCube uses it so that players can jump back to previous pages to make different decisions, but this game doesn't allow that anyways. To disable it, simply put Config.history.maxStates = 1; in a script tagged passage.

I did a bit of testing myself by putting that line in the same area that the functions setup.findVar(), setup.initDB(), setup.grabCSV(), etc. are defined. Resulted in an immediate reduction in save file size of about 80% (~300kB -> ~60 kB).

Some other potentially low hanging fruit for save file size reduction might be to move all those $db_ variables into the setup object. I'm not seeing any reason for those to be contained in a save file.
Thanks for the tips. I'd actually started figuring out optimization stuff recently because the game's shitty performance has reached a critical point for some. When I recover from being ill I'll put more time into it.

(I think the alpha version in the mega.nz folder I linked to earlier has a maxStates fix in it, if anyone not able/willing to add that code to their own copy of the game wants to benefit from it.)

Would you believe I had no idea how to use setup/StoryInit until a few weeks ago? It's going to change how I work on Twine stuff in a big way, wish I knew it sooner.

Excellent work - I know more about Renpy than SugarCube but it all makes sense. Hopefully something similar can be implemented into the game if Wape agrees.
HB38 did you dev something for Renpy that I'd know about? Something about your avatar is really really familiar, but from a long time ago like.

Reactions: kkai

HB38

Oct 3, 2017
HB38 did you dev something for Renpy that I'd know about? Something about your avatar is really really familiar, but from a long time ago like.
No, I've put out a concept for a rogue-like impregnation game a while back but I'm far too busy these days to do any serious dev work. My avatar is from - one of the finest impregnation games ever made, which is why it's likely familiar to you.

Yolo1337swagtron

Dec 15, 2018
Just downloaded 1.8.6 from Mediafire but a notice about Web Storage API being disabled or unavailable came up. I'm only seeing the text for the game; I'm on computer and the html file opens in Microsoft Edge. Do I have to move some files around or am I just doing this wrong?

Yolo1337swagtron

Dec 15, 2018
Just downloaded 1.8.6 from Mediafire but a notice about Web Storage API being disabled or unavailable came up. I'm only seeing the text for the game; I'm on computer and the html file opens in Microsoft Edge. Do I have to move some files around or am I just doing this wrong?
Found out how to open it up in Chrome if that changes anything, it didn't however. I've played 1.8.6 on my Android phone from gamcore.com and it works fine, all the images are showing along with the user interface on the left.

Wape

Game Developer
Apr 8, 2018
Found out how to open it up in Chrome if that changes anything, it didn't however. I've played 1.8.6 on my Android phone from gamcore.com and it works fine, all the images are showing along with the user interface on the left.
Did you unzip the whole thing?

JHorcoc6

Jun 10, 2019
This game desperately needs an extended storyline/miniquest in which you get to break and/or destroy and/or enslave a pink or purple-haired SJW.
or some studious college girls who put off relationships in order to get good grades and focus on their careers. Putting babies in them would derail all of that.

having the mc impregnate a lesbian couple, all the girls in a gay bar, or something to that effect would also be interesting.

NikChel

May 26, 2017
Hello Wape! When one of the updates have just released, there was a bug (or not?) making specific dialogue options available to see (even if you haven't taken appropriate starting bonus). Please, can you make a cheat to make them seeable again?)

I just want to see which ones I have missed

Wape

Game Developer
Apr 8, 2018
Hello Wape! When one of the updates have just released, there was a bug (or not?) making specific dialogue options available to see (even if you haven't taken appropriate starting bonus). Please, can you make a cheat to make them seeable again?)

I just want to see which ones I have missed
There's an ongoing conversation in my head about content that is conditionally hidden like that. I like putting in custom stuff like that, especially if I have an idea that I think is amusing or something, but is there a point in making it if few will notice? Having it fully readable like before (where I forgot to put in the 'failhide' property in the link when I made it) would be weird given it refers to circumstances that don't exist. Maybe a good compromise is showing the disabled/greyed link, but having it jumble the link's text (a property I have built into my link system already but didn't use outside of the Fence's 'store'). I'll add a note to my list to explore that idea.

Edit: I re-read what I wrote and it kinda sounds like nonsense if I'm not paying attention, so: tl;dr I see your concern and note it as valid and will consider some course of action or another to possibly address it.

Reactions: vince638

Wape

Game Developer
Apr 8, 2018
Not trying to rush but, can you keep us updated on the progress with 1.9?
I've been slow to update, so it's a fair thing to ask. Progress has been slow due to illness and other things that have arisen the past month in my personal life.

Right now I'm just getting back on it, trying to finish off some technical back-end thing I started building before I got sick. After that I'm going to implement some bugfixes and look at some suggestions that I've been adding to a list, then I'm going to review some of the optimization things I've learned of, start/finish implementing them.

After all that, I'm going to add some more content and make an ending or two related to the wife/daughter stuff I added. I sort of added this stuff on a whim so I'm not really sure where to go with it endings-wise.

Reactions: kkai

JK3

Jun 19, 2017
I really like this game and I was wondering if you were going to add some content that required multiple stats.
Like, right now things either need X or Y, but nothing needs X and Y.

Also, a brutality option at the frat party could be good. Encourage Plan > Call Dibs > I'm actually able to pull your lungs out of your chest but I'm going to agree to let you go first because reasons? Or possibly a blind rage event afterwards when the girls already pregat.

4.50 star(s) 57 Votes