Laughingfox

Apr 2, 2017
Laughingfox

About Survivor's origin and her attitude towards slavery. There are slaves in Yardanar, too. And guess which one is the majority? Valateans. Yes, in Yardanar (and the Alliance of Seven) slavery is more lenient, and patriarchally domestic, slaves are more often the property of the clan rather than individuals as in the Republic. But slavery is slavery. And Survivor has lived with that thought all her life.

She is not frightened by slavery as such. She might not mind having a couple of slaves of her own, who knows? But she definitely doesn't want to end up in it. Or her sister to be in it. So if you were expecting her to speak out passionately against slavery per se... Well, that view, even if known in this society, is not taken seriously by anyone.

Curious fact. In ancient Rome, the idea that all people are born equal and slavery, as it turns out, is wrong - was known. Mostly among Roman lawyers, who used this idea as a curious exercise for the mind. As something abstract, amusing, and irrelevant to the real world. Roman legions, meanwhile, filled the markets with slaves, and citizens were far more concerned with the price of those slaves than with any "abstract" questions.
Hm. Hokay. Wasn't thinking she'd go all in on the abolitionist angle (and she seems mostly too clever to start picking fights surrounded by able-bodied men and pointy objects), but she seemed fairly uncomfortable around soldiers and that topic in the past. So in that regard going from guarded and tough to a flighty, flirty 'oh my, so many men' mentality seemed a bit... off.

I guess my line of thinking was if anybody would be more inclined to be a bit sympathetic to a slaves plight, it'd probably be the Survivor, given their circumstances. The Survivor herself seems to be on a bit of a journey of personal growth and potentially kicking the dirt on societal norms here and there, to boot.

But yeah, at the end of the day, living is the larger concern, most likely.

Digging the occasional sillyness, such as the protagonist taking a wheeze on the Jumpers remains and Yuturna utterly at a loss with what to do with her bold proclamation. She'll wear him down yet. (Yuti and Iolanta threesome when?)

It did strike me odd that while there were a few comments about her being 'fortunate' to survive, or not cursed by the gods, not even Yuturna noted that the apprentice troupe actress had managed to carry and support a fully grown man a head taller or more's dead weight here and there, drag him up the mountain top, swim pretty much everywhere, etc.

Or the only way to for her to recount the events that happened were as a scatter brained goofball that greatly diminished the impact. You'd think she'd flex those actor muscles to enthrall a potential audience a bit, haha.

All in all, a lovely chapter, and well worth the wait.

...Although it looks like I missed an interaction with Chat somewhere. I received permission to play from the Master, but didn't see an option to follow through - I was figuring that was a next time on dragon ball z sort of yarn. Time to backtrack.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
All in all, a lovely chapter, and well worth the wait.

...Although it looks like I missed an interaction with Chat somewhere. I received permission to play from the Master, but didn't see an option to follow through - I was figuring that was a next time on dragon ball z sort of yarn. Time to backtrack.
I'm not quite sure I understand some of your... complaints? But as a personal opinion and feeling, it's fine, it's interesting to me.

And yes, judging by the words in your posts you missed a lot. And quite a lot of focusing on and absolutizing some points where the variability of choices for Selene's reactions are far greater than the ones you pointed out.

Reactions: @Lonely Wolf

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
damn so is there some other scene that is secret cause honesty i am dumbfounded and am unable to figure it out , so plz can you tell as one time thing
Nope. But I'll leave you with the hint I gave to my patrons. Аs one time thing.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

And that was absolutely the last time I hinted at secret, half-secret or side-secret stuff.

Reactions: kunIOIOIOIOIO
4.60 star(s) 41 Votes