VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
I had an idea about a game with more ladies with a similar theme, but as I said, there's enough to do .
Honestly I like the approach you took with the amount of LI. Because with 2 LI they get more screentime and you can get to know them better. Than a game with 3 - 4 or more. While 3-4 isnt a bad number either there is just something I enjoy more about only having 1-2 not quite sure what it is. If I have to guess probably because when it comes to romance when there is 1-2 LI it feels more romantic and intimate since you spend basically all your time with those girls instead of getting to know a bunch of other ones until you decide which LI is the path you are gonna follow.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Never thought about it, when I decided to create a game I was thinking "What would you like to play?", so I decided to do this story.
Not really the best decision :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:, action scenes aren't really easy to set up and render.

I had an idea about a game with more ladies with a similar theme, but as I said, there's enough to do .
Are you asking with something in mind?
Not really. I do have a reading preference, sci-fi and Fantasy, but it is refreshing to try something else once in a while. So, just exploring what may go in your head, really.

Honestly I like the approach you took with the amount of LI. Because with 2 LI they get more screentime and you can get to know them better. Than a game with 3 - 4 or more. While 3-4 isnt a bad number either there is just something I enjoy more about only having 1-2 not quite sure what it is. If I have to guess probably because when it comes to romance when there is 1-2 LI it feels more romantic and intimate since you spend basically all your time with those girls instead of getting to know a bunch of other ones until you decide which LI is the path you are gonna follow.
I am forced to agree. While it is fun to play games with many, many more Li's, it is always a struggle to have enough time with each of them. In one hand you get (hopefully) more diversity and options, on the other, for each one there's a limited amount of content, sometimes it can be quite a while to have content with a specific one.

When and if the characters are as well developed as Alex and Isa are, really having 1 or 2 LI's isn't a problem, they do fulfill all the emotional gamut we may require that we look for in those games with 20 or 30 Li's. One of the best examples (not counting this one) is Bare Witness. A smallish cast, with many options. Here, Isa / Alex or the (yummii) Throuple are more reduced in options, but each of them fills the needs.

Peace :)

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
Honestly I like the approach you took with the amount of LI. Because with 2 LI they get more screentime and you can get to know them better.
This is a very good point imo. I've nothing against games with a lot of LIs, but as I really enjoy relationship building and backstory, fewer LIs often allow for greater depth to those parts of a game.

As for what comes after Isabella, why not a cyberpunk story? It can still be a noir type of game, but with different assets and mood. I think you could pull off something like that very well. You would definitely nail the renders.

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Not really. I do have a reading preference, sci-fi
I love Sci-Fi, but with Nottys H5 and a few other damn good games in that genre it would be very hard to compete.
And it's already a constant hunt for assets, assets for these kind of games are much more harder to find and require much more work.

As for what comes after Isabella, why not a cyberpunk story? It can still be a noir type of game, but with different assets and mood. I think you could pull off something like that very well. You would definitely nail the renders.
Cyberpunk isn't really my thing, but who knows ;)

Reactions: Jarulf

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
Cyberpunk isn't really my thing, but who knows ;)
We'll, I haven't read much cyberpunk either, I mostly just want to see you make pretty nighttime renders with lots of rain, neon, glass and stuff.
(Are those a pain to set up and render? The one in this update where the MC just looks out the window was so pretty I just stopped and looked at it for a while.)

But that can just as well just be any futuristic setting. I'd actually love to play a sci-fi VN that doesn't involve space. Lots of spaceships with a small crew getting lost in space out there in AVN-land.

• Red Heart
Reactions: badtimetales

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
pretty nighttime renders with lots of rain, neon, glass and stuff.
(Are those a pain to set up and render? The one in this update where the MC just looks out the window was so pretty I just stopped and looked at it for a while.)

Hmm, not sure which scene you are talking about. edit: In the uncle's house I think? That was a nightmare for many reasons ;) /edit

But in general, everything with
- low lights
- reflections
- wet surfaces
- different light colors like neon

are a guarantee to blow up render times by 2-5 times.
If you remember last years New Year animation,

the renders for the first part where they are on the balcony took forever.

Last edited:

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
But that can just as well just be any futuristic setting. I'd actually love to play a sci-fi VN that doesn't involve space. Lots of spaceships with a small crew getting lost in space out there in AVN-land.
Even simple Sci-Fi like Matrix, Terminator or Mad Max for example is a nightmare in my opinion.
Getting or creating the assets, the renders and so on.

But it is tempting ;)

Or perhaps a Snake Plissken style? ;)

• Red Heart
Reactions: FatGiant

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Even simple Sci-Fi like Matrix, Terminator or Mad Max for example is a nightmare in my opinion.
Getting or creating the assets, the renders and so on.

But it is tempting ;)

Or perhaps a Snake Plissken style? ;)
TBH, while I see a sci-fi movie here and there, movies and TV sci-fi is NOT what I enjoy. I am a reader. I have over 2,000 volumes of sci-fi, had to stop collecting, no more space, and, yeah, I refuse to separate myself from books I've read. Some of them 10's of times.

So, sci-fi, is NOT obligatory to be in space. There's a fabulously beautiful story that is set in the pre-historic times, and it is Science Fiction, the science that is fictionalized is Archeology. Then there are stories like:

That can be placed in any setting you want.

But, it can be anything. Anywhere. Anywhen. Sci-Fi isn't about the setting, is about humanity, in a kind of "What/if" question. Yes, the beginnings (called the Golden Age ) were mostly about Space exploration and the attempts of writers to understand what those new challenges meant. Then comes the New Age. Where some Fantasy elements were included, by speculating how they could scientifically be possible. So, while hardcore sci-fi is still considered about space, it is no longer a requirement. Science is NOT only Physics, or Chemistry, or Mathematics... human sciences are also able to be fictionalized.

So, when you say that assets are hard to find, no, you are limiting yourself. Sci-Fi doesn't really have limits.

/Rant

Peace :D

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Sci-Fi isn't about the setting, is about humanity, in a kind of "What/if" question. Yes, the beginnings (called the Golden Age ) were mostly about Space exploration and the attempts of writers to understand what those new challenges meant. Then comes the New Age.

Fair point. If you ask me what my favorite SF is, it's
Mostly unknown out out of german speaking countries :(, followed by TNG and a few other older ST shows.

But I enjoy the space setting and the action.

So, when you say that assets are hard to find, no, you are limiting yourself. Sci-Fi doesn't really have limits.
You are right, but for me it would have to be (at least for some part) in space, with aliens and so on.
Jules Verne's work is classified as Sci-Fi, and I like it, but that's not what I would like to do.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
No one is faithful playing an AVN.
Maybe not completely depending on the type of game but I try to be to a certain extent. once I pick that one LI I want to go after I will restart and make a sperate solo path for all the LI i'm interested so I dont string any of the LI along. Unless you are able to commit to a path early on.

Deleted member 6168082

Jun 5, 2023
Maybe not completely depending on the type of game but I try to be to a certain extent.

once I pick that one LI I want to go after I will restart and make a sperate solo path for all the LI i'm interested so I dont string any of the LI along.
Same. Sometimes the game just forces your MC to peek/stare at someone, fuck them or etc without the player making a choice to do it or not, especially an MC with a partner already. If I am going to take control of someone, I want full control, not "you can control this, but I control the rest."

I usually just try to focus on one LI (if it isn't a Harem game or so) and I'll do my best to get that LI's ending. After that, eh, I move on. I don't think I have yet found a game where I needed to make multiple saves or played it multiple times (besides Sisterly Lust a long time ago)

Maybe I'll find that game one day and it will have multiple saves for each LI.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
I personally like pretty much anything from Harry Turtledove, Robert J. Sawyer and Philip K. Dick.
Turtledove is amazing, in his case the science he fictionalizes is History.

Philip K. Dick, is beyond praise. I like everything from him, but, Ubik simply blew my mind.

Sawyer, I can't recall if I read anything from him.

Reactions: badtimetales

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Turtledove is amazing, in his case the science he fictionalizes is History.

Philip K. Dick, is beyond praise. I like everything from him, but, Ubik simply blew my mind.

Sawyer, I can't recall if I read anything from him.

I really liked Flashforward by Sawyer. Might give that one a try. I wasn't a huge fan of the Oppenheimer Alternative. It was just ok for me.

Mar 29, 2021
I can't afford to. I'm no longer on a disposable income. I was talking in general. I used to do that. If I enjoyed it, I'd buy it. Hell, I STILL purchase all the extras for Come Home on Steam. Rj keeps the prices low enough so I can.
Well, I guess that the Steam page for the game going live is good news then: :D

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes