VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

4.50 star(s) 61 Votes

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
This is for the 4.2 update. I think badtimetales works hard on trying to improve as a dev, and it shows every update. The renders are overall great, I was especially drooling over one with a lot of reflections that was just gorgeous, the animations are smooth and in the right places. But I think the writing has gotten a lot better too, there were a couple of places with mistakes, a few that sounded a little off but not exactly wrong, but there is absolutely nothing that is hard to understand or awkward. I can't comment on the coding, but I had no problems.

I can't remember making any choices for the MC this update (except at the very end), but also realised I didn't mind. The sleuthing part of the story as well the developing relationships, both have me intrigued enough to just keep clicking through to see what happens, and there was a good mix of them this time around. The whole structure of the update was well thought out, scenes didn't seem rushed or too long and the pacing felt just right to me. Music is something I don't normally pay too much attention to, but nothing stood out in a bad way. I did notice it in a tense 'action' scene, where it felt well chosen.

I only had the one sex scene, though I think there may have been another one if I'd made other choices earlier, but it was sweet. Sex scenes without emotion quickly get boring, just as having too many of them do, and it's not rare for me to just click through ones in other games when I just want to get on with the story. Not so here, not in my playthrough on the throuple path without any side girls.

I've grown to care about these two girls, especially about Alex who we've gotten to know the best so far, but Isa too. They are both vulnerable in their own different ways, hurt by past events and seeing them start to rely on not just the MC but on each other as well is really something I enjoy seeing. This is one of the strengths of the game for me. This is also why I don't fool around with any of the other girls, I just can't do that to Alex. I will not betray her trust, I will not hurt her that way, and if I didn't know that bringing Isa into this will be fine, I would not try anything with her either.

There were a few funny moments, mostly involving Alex in one way or another, that made me smile. There were other moments too, where we get to learn more about the background of both girls, that I think were well done. So all in all, this update had a great mix of backstory, character development and mystery.
I know this sounds like the worst fanboy-ing, but I really like this game and this was an excellent update and I can't think of anything negaive to say about it.

Last edited:

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
I think badtimetales works hard on trying to improve as a dev, and it shows every update. The renders are overall great, I was especially drooling over one with a lot of reflections that was just gorgeous, the animations are smooth and in the right places. But I think the writing has gotten a lot better too, there were a couple of places with mistakes, a few that sounded a little off but not exactly wrong, but there is absolutely nothing that is hard to understand or awkward. I can't comment on the coding, but I had no problems.

I can't remember making any choices for the MC this update (except at the very end), but also realised I didn't mind. The sleuthing part of the story as well the developing relationships, both have me intrigued enough to just keep clicking through to see what happens, and there was a good mix of them this time around. The whole structure of the update was well thought out, scenes didn't seem rushed or too long and the pacing felt just right to me. Music is something I don't normally pay too much attention to, but nothing stood out in a bad way. I did notice it in a tense 'action' scene, where it felt well chosen.

I only had the one sex scene, though I think there may have been another one if I'd made other choices earlier, but it was sweet. Sex scenes without emotion quickly get boring, just as having too many of them do, and it's not rare for me to just click through ones in other games when I just want to get on with he story. Not so here, not in my playthrough on the throuple path without any side girls.

I've grown to care about these two girls, especially about Alex who we've gotten to know the best so far, but Isa too. They are both vulnerable in their own different ways, hurt by past events and seeing them start to rely on not just the MC but on each other as well is really something I enjoy seeing. This is one of the strengths of the game for me. This is also why I don't fool around with any of the other girls, I just can't do that to Alex. I will not betray her trust, I will not hurt her that way, and if I didn't know that bringing Isa into this will be fine, I would not try anything with her either.

There were a few funny moments, mostly involving Alex in one way or another, that made me smile. There were other moments too, where we get to learn more about the background of both girls, that I think were well done. So all in all, this update had a great mix of backstory, character development and mystery.
I know this sounds like the worst fanboy-ing, but I really like this game and this was an excellent update and I can't think of anything negaive to say about it.
Awesome! Glad you feel the game as I do.

Peace :)

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
I know this sounds like the worst fanboy-ing, but I really like this game and this was an excellent update
:love:

Thank you, glad you liked it!

After working weeks on an update it's hard for me to tell if it's good or not, I would need to step aside for a week or two. But who wants that? ;)
So it's always good to hear some feedback and if it's so positive it's even better.

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
Well .. yeah .. just that this particular feedback is contempt with a kinetic ”click simulator” kinetic novella,
on top of being absolutely satisfied and over the moon with the canon love interest MC got canon since day one.
it's always good to hear some feedback
” I can't remember making any choices for the MC this update (except at the very end), but also realised I didn't mind. The sleuthing part of the story as well the developing relationships, both have me intrigued enough to just keep clicking through to see what happens”

This game is great for what it is .. yet making content and hoping it ticks the boxes of the players,
does not feel like much of a ”feedback driven” approach.

Granted, the story is already on rails about all the opened cans of worms MC would go and investigate for
the duration of many updates, so this is not a diss, but a testament that you have done wonderful picking and
integrating both Alex and Isa into this story that keeps bringing players back to their screens with every update.

Reactions: badtimetales

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
After working weeks on an update it's hard for me to tell if it's good or not, I would need to step aside for a week or two.
Unfortunately this seems to be a common problem many Devs have, lack of meaningful feedback. I'm not saying this particular case of fanboyitis was meaningful, but hopefully better than just saying the game sucks or is awesome.

So, everyone I'd really like to encourage you to tell Devs not just that you like a game (or not), but a few words about why too. I'm terrible at it myself, but once in a blue moon I do try.

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
This game is great for what it is .. yet making content and hoping it ticks the boxes of the players,
does not feel like much of a ”feedback driven” approach.

Granted, the story is already on rails about all the opened cans of worms MC would go and investigate for
the duration of many updates, so this is not a diss, but a testament that you have done wonderful picking and
integrating both Alex and Isa into this story that keeps bringing players back to their screens with every update.
It's a question how you define feedback and feedback driven.

I've said that a few times: It's my story, I will not add something people want to see just because they want it.
That's because I'm stubborn, want to like what I do and more important limiting branches/coding (and therefor rendering).
I know more than one dev who tried to make it "right" for everybody and hated what he did.

Nevertheless feedback is important and it's not only a few nice taps on my shoulder, I changed scenes after some (beta) feedback or comments on what I had planned.

For the decisions, there would have been only one chance in this update for the general story. And to be honest I wanted to put one there but didn't find a good and logical way to do it.

For the relationship between the three there was no way to let the player decide, as the whole Chapter 4 is for bringing the main characters together, doesn't matter if you are on one of the single or the threesome route.

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
Thank you for sticking to your vision. That is the means to any good game gettign actual closure on paths.

The many devs who feel like they are struggling and keep changing stuff that irks their core,
they are really too much attention mongers to strike it big:
they have to sustain the tirades of angry fans, precisely if they include disgusting material in their games
- like any horror movie, you have to take the critique of all the disgusting gory turn your stomack scenes
and own them, that is the intended reaction, no?
For the decisions, there would have been only one chance in this update for the general story. And to be honest I wanted to put one there but didn't find a good and logical way to do it.

For the relationship between the three there was no way to let the player decide, as the whole Chapter 4 is for bringing the main characters together, doesn't matter if you are on one of the single or the threesome route.
In this game, the story is quite interesting by steering away from usual human trafficking games,
by not showing the graphic rape or torture or disfigurement the uncle of Issa and his associates
would have to be perpetrating day in and day out to keep so many girls in and out of their sex slaves ring.

The fact that the one model Issa befriended and she let herslef be whored around, was bright and honest,
owning her life choices and not having a horrid rape or beatdown or disfigurement sappy story in toe,
really came as a surprise - wonderful writing and so far keeping things tight and focused on the babes
and our continuous adoration of their antics and beauty.

Monkdrunkey76

Aug 28, 2023
Hi, new to all of this VN stuff, can anyone explain or confirm if Isabella- Dark Paths (which i went searching for) is the same as Isabella- Chasing Shadows?

I'm assuming Ch3 was Dark Paths and Ch4 is Chasing Shadows, but it's only an uneducated guess.

Cheers,
Monk.

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
Hi, new to all of this VN stuff, can anyone explain or confirm if Isabella- Dark Paths (which i went searching for) is the same as Isabella- Chasing Shadows?

I'm assuming Ch3 was Dark Paths and Ch4 is Chasing Shadows, but it's only an uneducated guess.

Cheers,
Monk.
Yes, the game changed name with the latest chapter which is released on Patreon (Ch4.2).

• Red Heart

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Hope you are doing well badtimetales . Keep up the good work.

Maybe your next VN can be in the style of film noir. That would work well with shadowy, cynical MC etc themes.

Thanks, I'm good, I hope you (and everyone else) too ;)

There was an AVN in black and white, don't remember the name.
It was interesting, but if I remember right people didn't really like it.

And if a new AVN will have a crime setting, we'll see.
For now there's enough Isa to finish ;)

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Thanks, I'm good, I hope you (and everyone else) too ;)

There was an AVN in black and white, don't remember the name.
It was interesting, but if I remember right people didn't really like it.

And if a new AVN will have a crime setting, we'll see.
For now there's enough Isa to finish ;)
Not that you aren't great at writing these type of stories, but, don't you feel some curiosity to try something different? I hope I am not presuming too much, I am simply asking if you have an interest in other type of stories, besides these.

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Not that you aren't great at writing these type of stories, but, don't you feel some curiosity to try something different? I hope I am not presuming too much, I am simply asking if you have an interest in other type of stories, besides these.

Never thought about it, when I decided to create a game I was thinking "What would you like to play?", so I decided to do this story.
Not really the best decision :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:, action scenes aren't really easy to set up and render.

I had an idea about a game with more ladies with a similar theme, but as I said, there's enough to do .
Are you asking with something in mind?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: FatGiant
4.50 star(s) 61 Votes