VN Ren'Py Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.3] [badtimetales]

4.30 star(s) 65 Votes

Regularus

Apr 2, 2019
good or bad writing can play a lot in how a reader/player may or not identify somehow with the MC or at least in some of the scenes he/she has.

There's also the case of AVN using 1st person viewpoint in many scenes in which the MC interact/speak/etc... with other characters, as 1st person view means that the other characters are looking at the screen, and so at you considering you're staring at the screen too, trying to enforce the "MC is you" feeling.

But there's additionally what the MC is , when he/her is wrote (intentionally or not) as a degenerate, a creep, an idiot, a moron etc... unless you're exactly like that yourself :D it's basically impossible to feel any connection to such MC and have "the MC is you" effect regardless if the whole AVN is in 1st person viewpoint or if the text constantly mention "you".

• Wow
Reactions: motseer

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Cricket season starts here in Australia soon
I would love to take Alex & Isa to a match
We would hold hands the entire time and after the game I would take them to a nice restaurant
I would make sure to give them lots of cuddles & kisses on the cheek
it would be a very romantic evening

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021
So... once it was Isabella Dark Paths, now its Chasing Shadows. Including a Rework... Different Name Different Game? Is the Rework done?

I liked the game as i remember, played version until 3.2 but decided to come back until more is out. I would play it again now if i could be sure that there isnt any more significant rework coming with next updates... Its not the only game around here which is getting a rework and to be honest, iam a little tired to play a game and than to start over again and experience a whole other thing.

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
So... once it was Isabella Dark Paths, now its Chasing Shadows. Including a Rework... Different Name Different Game? Is the Rework done?

I liked the game as i remember, played version until 3.2 but decided to come back until more is out. I would play it again now if i could be sure that there isnt any more significant rework coming with next updates... Its not the only game around here which is getting a rework and to be honest, iam a little tired to play a game and than to start over again and experience a whole other thing.
The name change was done for marketing reasons for when it comes out on steam. I can't speak if there is a rework or not planned or if it has been done already. I personally don't recall hearing about one when I discovered this game about 3-4 months ago and I been checking this thread on and of since as this is easily one of my favorite games. Top 15 at the very least if not top 10

• Red Heart
Reactions: badtimetales

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021
The name change was done for marketing reasons for when it comes out on steam. I can't speak if there is a rework or not planned or if it has been done already. I personally don't recall hearing about one when I discovered this game about 3-4 months ago and I been checking this thread on and of since as this is easily one of my favorite games. Top 15 at the very least if not top 10
changelog says:

Chapter 4.1
Reworked Chapter 1-3

but i guess, if you only stumbled over the game some months ago, there werent changes to be seen for you.

For me last time was over a year ago, as i said, version 3.2... it was released august 2022, savegames doesnt work anymore, and the changelog tells me it was reworked, well rework is not always the same... some are just adding a little bit, some others change the whole game into something new. And i want to know which is the case here and if the rework is done or if there is coming more of it before i restart. If there is coming more of a rework i will wait just a while longer.

ThL

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 9, 2018
changelog says:

Chapter 4.1
Reworked Chapter 1-3

but i guess, if you only stumbled over the game some months ago, there werent changes to be seen for you.

For me last time was over a year ago, as i said, version 3.2... it was released august 2022, savegames doesnt work anymore, and the changelog tells me it was reworked, well rework is not always the same... some are just adding a little bit, some others change the whole game into something new. And i want to know which is the case here and if the rework is done or if there is coming more of it before i restart. If there is coming more of a rework i will wait just a while longer.
The rework was mainly about renders and anim enhancements, correcting things that were not up to the standard that BTT wants for his game.
The intrigue remains the same.
As far as I know there will be no more rework for chapters 1-3, and probably none for chapters 4.1-4.2

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
The rework was mainly about renders and anim enhancements, correcting things that were not up to the standard that BTT wants for his game.
The intrigue remains the same.
As far as I know there will be no more rework for chapters 1-3, and probably none for chapters 4.1-4.2
Thanks ThL!

It's all explained here or at Patreon.

The rework was done for C1-3, no change to the story, just cleaning up the code, adding and redoing some animations, fixing some still renders.
C 4.1 was the first release with the reworked version, that's why saves < 4.1 won't work.

And no, I don't plan any more reworks/whatever.
EVER!

znar25

Apr 25, 2021
Cricket season starts here in Australia soon
I would love to take Alex & Isa to a match
We would hold hands the entire time and after the game I would take them to a nice restaurant
I would make sure to give them lots of cuddles & kisses on the cheek
it would be a very romantic evening
See that look Emma has in your Sig? She just found this post. :LOL::D:D

znar25

Apr 25, 2021
Well done badtimetales

Just finished 4.2. Oddly enough, on a lark, I copied over 4.1 saves, they worked (running Linux).

As said in a previous review both main girls are very likeable.

You have a way with also just showing everyday mundane activities too.

Again, this style of writing (easy-going, almost 1970s style TV show plot lines), really is workable and will probably serve you well in a 20 year portfolio of games if you ever decide that is a thing.

Have a great day.

1701950755355.png

badtimetales

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Just finished 4.2. Oddly enough, on a lark, I copied over 4.1 saves, they worked (running Linux).
Only saves from old Chapter 1 - 3 releases won't work, 4.1 saves are working (I never said they wont ;))

You have a way with also just showing everyday mundane activities too.

Again, this style of writing (easy-going, almost 1970s style TV show plot lines), really is workable and will probably serve you well in a 20 year portfolio of games if you ever decide that is a thing.
Thanks, glad you like it ;)
The every day scenes are not the best idea as there are many props to pose.
But I like them.

In 20 years nobody will remember Isa though.

4.30 star(s) 65 Votes