Descartes

Sep 27, 2018
As far as I remember, conditions are simply:
Obedient, Branded, 3+ energy.
In my save, I can have my slave join contest at day 5 when it fulfills these.
Well, it is day 5 and both my new slave and Isabella are branded and have 3+ energy, but I can still have my disobedient rank F- slave with "a lot of sharp thorns of rebellion" fight in the arena as long as I send her in first.

If I do, Isabella can't fight that day. Conversely, if I have Isabella fight first (by sending my slave to cryosleep or dungeon), the slave can't fight that day.

There must be another condition to have both be able to fight in a single day since this problem always fixes itself on its own somehow, maybe slaver attributes (brand status?).

• Thinking Face
Reactions: qwertyu12359

i107760

Sistersitting / Housesitting Developer
Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Well, it is day 5 and both my new slave and Isabella are branded and have 3+ energy, but I can still have my disobedient rank F- slave with "a lot of sharp thorns of rebellion" fight in the arena as long as I send her in first.

If I do, Isabella can't fight that day. Conversely, if I have Isabella fight first (by sending my slave to cryosleep or dungeon), the slave can't fight that day.

There must be another condition to have both be able to fight in a single day since this problem always fixes itself on its own somehow, maybe slaver attributes (brand status?).
You made me look at the code, here it is:
Code:
IF slave_state = CONST_INT['slave_exist'] and slave['energy'] > 1 and slave['brand'] ! 0 and slave["gladiatrix_contest"] = 0 and (gladiatrix_contest_count <= brand_reputation or gladiatrix_contest_count <= guild_reputation or gladiatrix_contest_count <= 1):
You need to have a slave, it needs to have at least 2 energy, it needs to be branded, it can't have fought that day, AND:
Fewer fights than Brand Status or fewer fights than Guild Reputation or you have not fought today.

Seems obedience is of no importance as you said. Gives me an idea to train my 5 slaves in the Cryostores every decade... Then sell them when very famous. Always assumed having your slave and assistant fight would be the max, didn't realize at high reputation you can have even more.

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
I think it's an engine imitation, from what Powerairmax told me. When the game saves, it seems to implement all the informations of the json files, and maybe some of the QSP. And, when loading a save from version 1.7.5 in 2.0, it will lead to some weird results because of that.
I've been doing some testing, and indeed, it seems to 'save' everything into the save. So in effect, overwriting interactions, adding interactions, etc. don't cause problems, problems arise when you remove stuff, since it then will still have those loaded in your save.

Which is why when you go to the main menu, it needs game_init/start_refresh, which kills all old vars.

Editing the database/* items is to be avoided, since it requires a database refresh. But if you avoid editing those, updating the .qsp causes no big problems from as far as my testing has shown, provided you only replace existing things, or add new things, without removing things/changing IDs (effectively removing old ID).

One possible solution to 'interactions' and such sticking around after updating the .qsp would be to make a game_init/update_refresh that sets any interaction removed to be empty, so that it doesn't do anything anymore(need to actually test this, because .qsp is retarded and I could be 100% wrong of course). Doing "killvar $menu_item_X" might also work to get rid of 'ghost' buttons, but not sure about that, or in general how to avoid .json entrees sticking around/FUNC sticking around.

Last edited:
  • Love

Descartes

Sep 27, 2018
You made me look at the code, here it is:
Thanks for the info. It's a relief to finally know what's up.

This might be helpful in my attempts to "speedrun" this game (Nerd, max difficulty). I've finished the game in about 80 days or so before. For that, I need to get my brand status to legendary so I can do the two Vatican quests (while training both slave and Isabella in advance). Having as many slaves as possible fighting in the arena will not only help finance tutoring but also help raise my brand status quicker.

Reactions: i107760

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Thanks for the info. It's a relief to finally know what's up.

This might be helpful in my attempts to "speedrun" this game (Nerd, max difficulty). I've finished the game in about 80 days or so before. For that, I need to get my brand status to legendary so I can do the two Vatican quests (while training both slave and Isabella in advance). Having as many slaves as possible fighting in the arena will not only help finance tutoring but also help raise my brand status quicker.
You're speedrunner too eh? I was already using it, but now I might do it with more when my brand rate gets to 3. I'm writing a guide on it, trying to perfect it. So far working on my third attempt, really nailing down day1 through 10 to use every energy perfectly, it's going pretty well. My second attempt had me have the A+ Cardinal slave and S+ Pope slave ready at day 33, I aim to improve that. As you said, Brand Rate is the hardest, and knowing that I can have more than 2 in the contest will surely help.

Reactions: Descartes

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
I'm making a little mod/easter egg right now, that occurs when you get to White Town Patrician before day 80 as Nerd on hardcore. It adds a little sister character as your assistant, you get a message when you meet those conditions. ^^ Sneak peek in the spoiler, of the letter :)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

qwertyu12359 I'm trying to add some images for my mod, but how? I added one as a npc, but it looks all fucked up, her legs go over the text box. Do I just need to cut them off in paint? This is not really for the main game, so if you're busy no need to help me, it's just a pet project I'm doing for myself ^^ I always thought this game was missing incest content, so I might as well add it myself.

Now looking for images for the custom slave itself, would appreciate tips on how to make those images look right with paint as well :) I'm really bad at this graphical stuff... I prefer the code, lol.

Last edited:

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I'm making a little mod/easter egg right now, that occurs when you get to White Town Patrician before day 80 as Nerd on hardcore. It adds a little sister character as your assistant, you get a message when you meet those conditions. ^^ Sneak peek in the spoiler, of the letter :)

qwertyu12359 I'm trying to add some images for my mod, but how? I added one as a npc, but it looks all fucked up, her legs go over the text box. Do I just need to cut them off in paint? This is not really for the main game, so if you're busy no need to help me, it's just a pet project I'm doing for myself ^^ I always thought this game was missing incest content, so I might as well add it myself.

Now looking for images for the custom slave itself, would appreciate tips on how to make those images look right with paint as well :) I'm really bad at this graphical stuff... I prefer the code, lol.
You need something with more possibilities than paint. Let's say paint 2.0. Only the name is PaintDotNet. If you ever need basic stuff with your pictures and don't want to learn your way to Gimp or Photoshop, that's perfect.

Your pictures need to be in a specific size to fit the frame (and of course, the PNG file extension). The resolution should be 795x596 most of the time (especially for NPC's. Ctrl+R is the shortcut for resizing a picture; don't ever change the proportion, cut a part of the frame if it's too big). You can also make the background transparent so only the character appears (like the doctor or Lord Spectre), but that's always 10 minutes to an hour of work, so don't do that if you want it to be straight forward.

If that's still fucking up, send it to me so I'll be able to see what's wrong.

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
You need something with more possibilities than paint. Let's say paint 2.0. Only the name is PaintDotNet. If you ever need basic stuff with your pictures and don't want to learn your way to Gimp or Photoshop, that's perfect.

Your pictures need to be in a specific size to fit the frame (and of course, the PNG file extension). The resolution should be 795x596 most of the time (especially for NPC's. Ctrl+R is the shortcut for resizing a picture; don't ever change the proportion, cut a part of the frame if it's too big). You can also make the background transparent so only the character appears (like the doctor or Lord Spectre), but that's always 10 minutes to an hour of work, so don't do that if you want it to be straight forward.

If that's still fucking up, send it to me so I'll be able to see what's wrong.
Thanks... I'll try to see if I can figure it out. It's pretty hard to find good, consistent art. Really loving Asuha Chigusa, trying to mod her in, but there's no good fully nude pictures, so guess it's gonna be impossible. Gotta find some other good looking girl ^^ Although since the mod is only for me, I might just do with a clothed picture for the slave fullbody...

EDIT: It's going well, using photoshop for it.

Last edited:

kyoto_leon

Dec 3, 2019

For the pictures... Usually I just resize image using photoshop. You can trace and cut out characters and place them on transparent background too (that's how I did it when I replaced girl slave pictures in the 1.7.5 version back then).

As for the incest content, I fully welcome it. It'd be cool if we could add characters who have their own unique personalities that reflected in dialogues and sex scenes. But peeking at the qgen, it seems that every slave girl utilizes the same generic sex scene text and relationship text... so does that mean you'll have to code in extra lines in qgen to achieve that? Or we could do that in the added girl's json file? Asking so I can further in my Jack-o-Ninetail's modding education. XD

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
For the pictures... Usually I just resize image using photoshop. You can trace and cut out characters and place them on transparent background too (that's how I did it when I replaced girl slave pictures in the 1.7.5 version back then).

As for the incest content, I fully welcome it. It'd be cool if we could add characters who have their own unique personalities that reflected in dialogues and sex scenes. But peeking at the qgen, it seems that every slave girl utilizes the same generic sex scene text and relationship text... so does that mean you'll have to code in extra lines in qgen to achieve that? Or we could do that in the added girl's json file? Asking so I can further in my Jack-o-Ninetail's modding education. XD
Sex scenes would sadly not reflect it, because the reason you said. However the "stock_world_description, stock_family_description, stock_occupation_description' can be edited to include a custom backstory for when you ask the slave questions. I might try to edit sex scene text, if I find an easy/good way to do it.

I'm turning the collection of the special slave into a quest right now, and learning a lot about coding in .qsp, if you want the sister slave you will have to download my mod, I doubt it will be added to the main game (although it's starting to get pretty high quality right now, in my opinion anyway).

EDIT: Attached the pictures I have so far as a sneak peek :)

Last edited:
  • Love

kyoto_leon

Dec 3, 2019
Sex scenes would sadly not reflect it, because the reason you said. However the "stock_world_description, stock_family_description, stock_occupation_description' can be edited to include a custom backstory for when you ask the slave questions. I might try to edit sex scene text, if I find an easy/good way to do it.

I'm turning the collection of the special slave into a quest right now, and learning a lot about coding in .qsp, if you want the sister slave you will have to download my mod, I doubt it will be added to the main game (although it's starting to get pretty high quality right now, in my opinion anyway).

EDIT: Attached the pictures I have so far as a sneak peek :)
Oooh, I recognize that "Johanna" there. It's from one of my favourite H-RPGs. Nice pick, man~

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
New to the game and I am wondering the only way to make money is to sell your slave?
Or Guild Contracts, but that is still selling sort of. There's not really any ways for passive income... yet. I'm thinking about modding some, kind of like the Barn(but not content like that...) Anyone have any ideas for passive income sources?

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Or Guild Contracts, but that is still selling sort of. There's not really any ways for passive income... yet. I'm thinking about modding some, kind of like the Barn(but not content like that...) Anyone have any ideas for passive income sources?
The best idea, that we thought about implementing with Powerairmax, was for a girl to be able to work as a waitress, play music for money, sell her paintings, work as a prostitute... (either as activities of the day, like in Slave Maker).

That'd be what the game needs the most as a new feature in my opinion. And it would make appartments more easily buyable. :KappaPride:

Edit: But then, maybe as a slaver you'd have more interest in keeping a slave for years and always make sell her body everyday than selling her for about 800 sparks to a NPC. So we have to be careful about the economical aspect of it.

Last edited:

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
I'd be more interested in economical opportunities outside the slaving, personally, like for example a business opportunity in every quarter if your reputation there is high enough (3 or 4), that requires an initial investment, and maybe you to supply 1-3 slaves (like the Barn) with specific, relevant stats. I was thinking, since I am working on a quest that involves the Manhunter, and he mentions expanding and needing more couriers, that you team up with him given your status, and start working together. Would such an addition make sense qwertyu12359?

If you have ideas per quarter, let me know please.

Descartes and Nikira one more image preview, I'm making good progress, I need some input in the requirements to start the 'quest' though. Right now I have that you need to be playing as Nerd, on hardcore, and need to be a White Town patrician before day 80, but that might be a little too harsh for an actual mod, not an easter egg.

Problem is, story wise it's required too... The story is that your sister ran away from home, but had no idea how to find you/Eternal Rome given her incomplete knowledge of magic/the Fogs, and only got the Manhunter to take her to Rome when she overheard your promotion to Patrician. (She jumped to a world known for its high quality ore, hence the Manhunter being there.) And the 80 days also makes sense, since she wouldn't survive on her own for very long...

But if it's too harsh, I might make an option to make it easier. I can for example make it so that if you're playing on easy mode, the requirements are less harsh. What do you think?

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I'd be more interested in economical opportunities outside the slaving, personally, like for example a business opportunity in every quarter if your reputation there is high enough (3 or 4), that requires an initial investment, and maybe you to supply 1-3 slaves (like the Barn) with specific, relevant stats. I was thinking, since I am working on a quest that involves the Manhunter, and he mentions expanding and needing more couriers, that you team up with him given your status, and start working together. Would such an addition make sense qwertyu12359?

If you have ideas per quarter, let me know please.
The following is my opinion, as someone who played JONT alot, and many (many) other games (SFW, and NSFW):

The thing to avoid is to turn the game into a SimCity game (or just The Sims actually). Sometimes, less is more; if there are too many things to do, then the core part of the gameplay (and the game's synopsis) will be let aside in the background.

If you add economical opportunities, they should always relate to your ability to train a slave correctly. Otherwise, we'd turn Jack-o-nine-tails into what it's not meant to be. This is a slave management game that allows the player to climb social hierarchy; not a game in which you have to climb social hierarchy that happens to have slave management built in.

That clashes with the ideal that "the sky is the limit" and we should always improve the game in any way possible. I know. But I really can imagine clearly how adding Vanilla ways of making money (as good executed as those ideas would be) could be detrimental to the game.

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
The following is my opinion, as someone who played JONT alot, and many (many) other games (SFW, and NSFW):

The thing to avoid is to turn the game into a SimCity game (or just The Sims actually). Sometimes, less is more; if there are too many things to do, then the core part of the gameplay (and the game's synopsis) will be let aside in the background.

If you add economical opportunities, they should always relate to your ability to train a slave correctly. Otherwise, we'd turn Jack-o-nine-tails into what it's not meant to be. This is a slave management game that allows the player to climb social hierarchy; not a game in which you have to climb social hierarchy that happens to have slave management built in.

That clashes with the ideal that "the sky is the limit" and we should always improve the game in any way possible. I know. But I really can imagine clearly how adding Vanilla ways of making money (as good executed as those ideas would be) could be detrimental to the game.
Makes sense, I was mainly looking for good ways to have money sinks, so that training/selling slaves stays interesting and you have a goal to work towards. (Because right now, personally anyway, moment I finish getting to Patrician, I don't need to actually train any slaves anymore or make any money. Selling 1 slave per 5 decades is more than enough).

Personally, I really like JoNT mainly for its awesome world, and wanted to expand on that. It will just stay as a mod then, I will add the Manhunter expansions tied in with my sister assistant for now. Thinking about if I want to have to staff the store like you do the barn, but I'm afraid of save lag, since Cryostores seem to increase saving time. (And am afraid Barn/this would too).

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Personally, I really like JoNT mainly for its awesome world, and wanted to expand on that.
Think of JONT as Dark Souls. The lore is awesome. But you wouldn't want to expend it by making making him craft potions or sell swords as a way to farm souls. You keep on making the player fight mobs around and focus on making that rewarding even as time goes on! :)

It will just stay as a mod then, I will add the Manhunter expansions tied in with my sister assistant for now.
The sister easter egg seems nice. Why not implement it in the full game?

Thinking about if I want to have to staff the store like you do the barn, but I'm afraid of save lag, since Cryostores seem to increase saving time. (And am afraid Barn/this would too).
Absolutely. Any changes to that should wait version 2.3 until we figure ourselves out with saving time (and make playing on an SSD actually worthwhile).

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
If you're interested in it, it can be in the main game too of course :)

Do you have any idea how already_done_today / $already_done_today works? I'm trying to use it for an interaction_city, but it's not doing what I think it should at all... I don't really see how Auspex etc. do it, I'm trying to copy it form Auspex/Torture etc.

Basically I want a counter that increases by 1 per day max, interaction_city = 90031 procs everytime you move to White Town for now, but it's doing it more than once per day. Gonna keep trying, really sucks that there's no good documentation for such things.

EDIT: Might have figured it out actually, when no slave exists, crushboss started doing killvar 'already_done_today' in $newloc. I was hoping to be able to use an already existing mechanic for the counter, but guess I will have to look elsewhere.

However, doing that has other ramifications. Right now, when you Encourage Slave #1, then swap her with a slave in your dungeon/cryostore, you cannot explain again. HOWEVER. If you go to no slave, and then retrieve slave from dungeon/cryostore, you CAN explain again on that day. Is that intended? I had noticed that during gameplay, and have now finally found out where that 'bug'/inconsistency is happening.

Thinking about this even further, what other things is 'already_done_today' used for? I need to think and test about this, it feels off to me now that I'm thinking about it.

EDIT2: Commented out the killvar thing crushboss added, and now my system works, so confirmed that is the way already_done_today works. This needs further testing, I will do some, and attach a save to showcase the problem for you qwertyu12359.

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 58 Votes