DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
The only 1 star ratings I can see are from new members with less than 10 posts. Hell, one of them appears to have zero posts and I have no idea why you get to vote on shit before you've even said hello.

Either way, I wouldn't try to design the game around avoiding downvotes from people that simply hate change.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I was laughing of course :) It's just that I coincidentally took the 1star guy's point to make mine and that deserved some cheeky way of saying it.

If the game becomes easier for QOL changes, it's good, and the good ratings aren't an aim for modding this game. However, there's a thin life between making the game easier as a result of changing some fucked up design, and taking the player by the hand and not requiring him to be careful as a general rule.

I think "unequip all" is the first type of change, the one that makes the game easier coincidentally. I think "unequip only the weapons" for the mere justification that the player might forget about it, that would be the latter category. (y) I like to think of the "last minutes verification" step of JONT as a mini-gameplay experience; the reward being sucessfully selling your slave.

kyoto_leon

Dec 3, 2019
Wow... there's been a lot of stuffs going on in the past few days. Nice.

And if we're going to overhaul something... could we do something about the slaves' attribute page? Specifically, making a new small tab or a pop-up window that shows their "Traits"? Is that do-able? As of now, if the slaves get a lot of traits, the "Trait" area can't show every trait they had acquired.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017

And if we're going to overhaul something... could we do something about the slaves' attribute page? Specifically, making a new small tab or a pop-up window that shows their "Traits"? Is that do-able? As of now, if the slaves get a lot of traits, the "Trait" area can't show every trait they had acquired.
Can you make a drawing on paint (or anything) to show us how it'd look? ^^

Lokplart

- I can code, I guess :D
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2018

Yeah. Very doable. But still, the pop-up page has limited space too. An alternative I propose is adding pages to the trait area the payer could scroll through using buttons.

Maybe group traits on said pages based on: sex skill related, phobias and affinities.

• Red Heart
Reactions: kyoto_leon

kyoto_leon

Dec 3, 2019
Can you make a drawing on paint (or anything) to show us how it'd look? ^^
Not really. I wasnt even able to get the portraits done before being stuck here in quarantine. I doubt my laptop here can do any better than my desktop at home.

But Lokplart's got a good idea.

Yeah. Very doable. But still, the pop-up page has limited space too. An alternative I propose is adding pages to the trait area the payer could scroll through using buttons.
Yeah, the pages that show their traits is a great idea!

Maybe group traits on said pages based on: sex skill related, phobias and affinities.
This is actually something I've not thought about... categorizing traits according to skills, phobias and affinities is going to make it neater indeed.

Lokplart

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2018
Something that just came to my mind is the question of overall visibility and weather adding extra clicks to cycle through trait categories is the right decision.

Some players may prefer to see all traits straight away and in I think that for the majority of your time with a slave, she doesn't have enough traits to overfill the area.

So I was thinking of either
  • Checking for the number of traits and sort them into pages only after the girl gets enough traits to overfill the area
  • Or adding a checkbox button that you can press to switch between a plain list (current system) and page sorted.

Also, another thing would be to visually display the affinities and phobias in the name of the skill/punishment. It would look kind of like this:
  • "(+) *punishment name*" - The girl has a phobia for that punishment
  • "(-) *punishment name*" - The girl is not affected by that punishment
  • "(+) *skill name* *grade*" - The girl has an affinity for that skill
  • "(-) *skill name* *grade*" - The girl is bad at learning that skill
This last thing kind of sits at the border between QOL and holding hands so idk.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Something that just came to my mind is the question of overall visibility and weather adding extra clicks to cycle through trait categories is the right decision.

Some players may prefer to see all traits straight away and in I think that for the majority of your time with a slave, she doesn't have enough traits to overfill the area.

So I was thinking of either
  • Checking for the number of traits and sort them into pages only after the girl gets enough traits to overfill the area
  • Or adding a checkbox button that you can press to switch between a plain list (current system) and page sorted.
Has it already happened that the traits would overfill the area? I have never seen it. I thought the game made it so there would be a certain number of maximal traits, to avoid that.

Also, another thing would be to visually display the affinities and phobias in the name of the skill/punishment. It would look kind of like this:
  • "(+) *punishment name*" - The girl has a phobia for that punishment
  • "(-) *punishment name*" - The girl is not affected by that punishment
  • "(+) *skill name* *grade*" - The girl has an affinity for that skill
  • "(-) *skill name* *grade*" - The girl is bad at learning that skill
This last thing kind of sits at the border between QOL and holding hands so idk.
That idea reminds me of what's been put in place for Pokémon. Back in the days, you had to have a superhuman memory or weird instincts if you wanted to optimize your fighting: 1-1NrveA7TzLDHZKKBKlt9SQ.jpg

Recently, the developers had kind of the same idea as you; align the effective/non effective status with its corresponding option: Annotation 2020-05-20 143826.png

Granted, this is not EXACTLY the same idea, but the latter Pokémon was such a snooze fest that I couldn't last playing 3 hours, while I can still play romhacks of the first three generations for 50 hours each.

My idea is that it's counter-intuitively in the interest of the player to try and figure out and connect the dots himself.

Reactions: Pianocat

Pianocat

Oct 14, 2018
A good middleground could be to add a page, in the master journal eg. where are gathered the learned infos about the current slave: a note, like
"Here's what I know about <<slave_name>>:
- she comes from "blablabla"
- she likes "blablabla"
- shes' afraid of "blablabla"

Reactions: qwertyu12359

Pianocat

Oct 14, 2018
So, about the clothing bar, I did this, using pieces of the old interface:

Clipboard01.jpg

The squares are transparent, and each one corresponds to a specific piece of clothing (clothe, headband, gloves, boots, earrings, neck). I'll add a button on the right, which will directly leads to the equipment panel.
Also I would like to add small semi-transparent icons in squares, which indicate what kind of clothing goes there.

The squares are not interactive (you can't change equipment from there) but it displays the name of the cloth when you hover it with mouse :)
All suggestions are welcome^^

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I prefer when the UI is cleared up and refined. I think your proposition, while effective, is bloating everything a bit more. Here's a possible alternative: Annotation 2020-05-20 172844.png

Pianocat

Oct 14, 2018
Here is a more "interface friendly" version:

Clipboard02.jpg

I prefer when the UI is cleared up and refined. I think your proposition, while effective, is bloating everything a bit more.
I got your point! For my part I like when it's more "rich" and visible, but it's really matter of taste. It would be possible to give the choice, though :)
Or perhaps to add a tickbox which allow to hide the equipment bar...

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Here is a more "interface friendly" version:

View attachment 664135

I got your point! For my part I like when it's more "rich" and visible, but it's really matter of taste. It would be possible to give the choice, though :)
Or perhaps to add a tickbox which allow to hide the equipment bar...
But why would the player even need such a big menu to see what clothes the slave is wearing? An interface filled of necessary things, why not. But I really don't see the necessity of such a big clothing button (if it's to save clicks, then why should it take priority to the set of rules? Or the stats? Or anything else?).

As an alternative, if you really think that's necessary then okay, why not mix both world; the little icon on my image, if you click on it, would give the big menu you've design for cloches. If you click again on the mini icon, it'd close the menu.

Last edited:

Pianocat

Oct 14, 2018
But why would the player even need such a big menu to see what clothes the slave is wearing? An interface filled of necessary things, why not. But I really don't see the necessity of such a big clothing button (if it's to save clicks, then why should it take priority to the set of rules? Or the stats? Or anything else?).
Because I like it? :LOL:
More seriously I think the equipment tab's a bit lost, so I wanted to see something like this since a long time.
For me it's a way to get more "material" informations about the slave, a way to slightly compensate the fact this game only works with "fixed" pictures giving you no visual informations but texts about your slave. And clearly seeing what she's wearing give more "substance" and personnality to the current trained slave. This is for this precise reason I added this "Owned since" infos in stat screen^^

But it's only a suggestion, I can totally keep this for me, I'm not telling I want this thing in the next version ;)
Or, of course, I can make it optional, or let the choice with a "lite" version in the upper bar.

Lokplart

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2018
Has it already happened that the traits would overfill the area? I have never seen it. I thought the game made it so there would be a certain number of maximal traits, to avoid that.
I think it's possible.

1590008115538.png

Like in this example, my assistant spawned in with 4 affinities and also water child
So if you discover all of those and then train her enough to develop Nymphomaniac, Masochist and Exhibitionist I'm pretty sure it's going to go off screen

drebin

May 1, 2017
I think it's possible.

View attachment 664555

Like in this example, my assistant spawned in with 4 affinities and also water child
So if you discover all of those and then train her enough to develop Nymphomaniac, Masochist and Exhibitionist I'm pretty sure it's going to go off screen
There is a very easy way to replicate it for yourself. Just train Felicity. If there were no adjustments to her traits since 1.75, then she has enough natural traits to replicate it.
I remember her having too many traits to display. Especially since Arena Champion and Racing champion are also displayed in the traits list.

Edit: Just checked my old copy, and I remembered correctly. Her trait list does overflow.
Felicity.png

Last edited:

Lokplart

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2018
There is a very easy way to replicate it for yourself. Just train Felicity. If there were no adjustments to her traits since 1.75, then she has enough natural traits to replicate it.
I remember her having too many traits to display. Especially since Arena Champion and Racing champion are also displayed in the traits list.
The max number of traits it can show without any issue is 6.
7 Traits also looks ok.. the last one is a bit on the border but meh..
But the problem grows exponentially when there are 8 or more traits since the 8th trait is 99% off screen and any more then the 8th trait is completely off screen.
1590009843693.png

There are 5 traits that you can earn through training (Nymphomaniac, Masochist, Exhibitionist, Pervert and Bisexual/Lesbian) so if your girl spawns in with more then 2 traits, the area will eventually overfill if you train her enough.

Edit:
Also, If we start working on this, maybe we would like to balance a bit the way traits spawn. Like in my previous example, my girl spawned in with 4 affinities and 1 other thing.
Maybe it would also be a good idea to code it something like: first, choose a random number of traits the girl is going to have, then randomize how many are good and how many are bad, then distribute them evenly among the categories.
So in this example, (4 good traits and one bad trait) instead of 4 affinities the girl would have gotten 2 affinities, 1 preference for a reward and 1 phobia. Or maybe instead of 2 affinities, she could have gotten a good metabolism.

Last edited:
Reactions: drebin

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Edit:
Also, If we start working on this, maybe we would like to balance a bit the way traits spawn. Like in my previous example, my girl spawned in with 4 affinities and 1 other thing.
Maybe it would also be a good idea to code it something like: first, choose a random number of traits the girl is going to have, then randomize how many are good and how many are bad, then distribute them evenly among the categories.
So in this example, (4 good traits and one bad trait) instead of 4 affinities the girl would have gotten 2 affinities, 1 preference for a reward and 1 phobia. Or maybe instead of 2 affinities, she could have gotten a good metabolism.
Maybe we can balance it out a bit, for sure. However, it would be basic aesthete nativity to assume that humans all ought to be gifted with an even repartitions of good traits and bad traits ^^ Some are just pieces of shit, some are talent-less, some have no phobia whatsoever, some are just walking gods with no "flaws".

TL;DR: the system can be improve, but keeping some chaotic randomness could actually benefit the credibility of JONT universe. (y)

kyoto_leon

Dec 3, 2019
I think it's possible.

View attachment 664555

@qwertyu12359 and @Lokplart

Yeah, basically this. I've had a slave spawned with 3 traits - Weak Metabolism, Graceful and Ballerina. After developing her more, she acquired nymphomaniac, masochist, exhibitionist, arena champion, and racing champion. The traits after exhibitionist don't show on her character attribute page.

I prefer this one. It gives the player a choice in how he / she wants the traits being displayed.

Reactions: Lokplart
4.00 star(s) 58 Votes