Aug 20, 2020
I'm not sure about the download link in OP but the tutorial for the dev version is a little bit buggy at the moment. However, regular gameplay in the dev version isn't bad. Still plenty of bugs, but definitely playable.

lurkmaster

Jun 10, 2019
My sense is that the city of Eternal Rome is actually "in" the Fogs also, but has repelled them to create a region of safety. And the Fogs are a sort of in-between realm that touches the entire multiverse. Something along the lines of the but maybe the portals do not take the form of puddles... They might even be invisible (though if you encounter one, it still teleports you)... but if so, they must be detectable with magic. If the position of the portals is fixed in relation to the Eternal Rome, it would be possible to create maps that a mundane could follow, and to march armies through them etc. Even if they move, as long as it happens slowly, or a capable mage is leading the way, it still could work.
I find it incredibly surreal to see Narnia mentioned in the context of this game of slavery, torture and cannibalism lmao. Although, I guess in that regard, Eternal Rome doesn't differ all that much from the city of Charn that the White Witch originally came from through the Wood between the Worlds. Charn would be an interesting setting for a game like that this.

That being said, I really like your suggestions and interpretations.

Reactions: ImperatorAugustus

Asia Argento

The Golden Dragon Princess
Donor
Apr 14, 2020
Curious, but how would you go about adding a custom weapon into JONT. I wanted to find the item file for the Dagger and customize it to be a godmode weapon (for my own amusement) but I dont see where the items are located to try to do such a thing...

No, I dont expect it to be done for me... but rather this is something I would like to do on my own...

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020
I found a quote giving a hint about how quickly the Fog moves. "An Archbishop is too important for the house to take any risks. If anything happens to me - the Fog will absorb House Serpis in mere weeks." They do their rituals daily to keep the Fog away, but it would take weeks to absorb their territory if they stop. Also notice there is no mention of other Houses being affected first -- which supports my interpretation of radial slices for each House (adjacent territories bounded on one edge by the city wall) instead of concentric rings.

How much distance does the Fog need to cover in weeks to fully absorb House Serpis?

If the longest distance between any two points in the city is 3 miles (based on average human walking speed and the observation that anywhere in the city is reachable with 1 energy), then the Fog needs to travel at most 3 miles (plus the distance from where the Fog edge is now to the city wall). Suppose the distance from the city walls to the Fog is the same as the radial dimension of White Town, meaning that the distance the Fog must travel to absorb House Serpis fully is equal to the distance from the city wall all the way through House Serpis to the city wall on the opposite side (passing through White Town). For a first approximation, it will do.

So, the Fog will travel 3 miles in mere weeks. How many weeks is "mere" weeks? It could be as few as two, and it could be any quantity not exceeding weeks. Incidentally, shouldn't it be "decades"?

If the Fog edge moves 3 miles in two decades (20 days), then we have a rate of 0.15 miles per day. Since the priests and the Fog have reached some equilibrium (otherwise why would they need to do the rituals daily?) this suggests that each ritual is able to push the Fog back by only a similar amount (say 0.14 - 0.16 miles). That raises the question of how the Fog was originally pushed back to its current position, which would require rituals capable of pushing the Fog faster than it can roll back in, and why those stronger rituals are not being used to push it even more. If the priests' rituals are consistently pushing the Fog more than the Fog is reclaiming, then the territory would be constantly expanding. One way to interpret this: the effectiveness of the rituals is non-linear and has a larger effect when the area being warded is small. As the area has grown, their effectiveness has diminished. So now, in order to maintain their current borders, they need daily rituals, whereas when the city was half its current size, weekly rituals might have sufficed.

Coming back to the assumption about the city covering an area of only 3 miles, what does that imply about population density?

If the total population is 2 million (based on colosseum spectator capacity described as hundreds of thousands), the population density is approximately 600,000 per square mile. By this calculation, the Eternal Rome is ten times more densely populated than the densest city on Earth. Yet there are images in the game of large open spaces, not packed wall-to-wall with people. Maybe they are all packed into the Anthill in the Serpentine Quarter...?

It is likely that the Colosseum in the Eternal Rome accommodates a larger percentage of the population than the one in ancient Rome did (which was 50,000 of the 450,000 total). Slaves in the Eternal Rome outnumber citizens, and not every slave would spectate each event, which argues for the Colosseum capacity being smaller than the total population to avoid empty seats, but they might want to be able to accommodate everyone ... for special occasions.

If the capacity of the Eternal Rome's Colloseum is large enough to accommodate the entire population, and we take the smallest possible value for "hundreds of thousands" (200,000), with an area of 3 square miles, then we have 66,000 per square mile. This is comparable to the most densely populated cities on Earth (Kolkata ~61,000, Mumbai ~76,000).

By exploiting verticality (building tall, with towers and underground levels), this density of population could be accommodated while still having some open spaces as shown in the game. If they built 500 levels each 14 feet high and 3 miles in width and height, the density per square mile would drop to a far-more-manageable 132. They would not build completely uniform levels like that, but this illustrates the concept. It also suggests the population may be much larger than 200,000, and that there is a limit to how far up or down they can go.

Last edited:
Reactions: qwertyu12359
Aug 23, 2020
Feature from 1.8:
12. Slaves now “own” only the clothes,jewelry, weapons, and armour) they have currently equiped. When they remove an item, it is added into the household inventory, available to other slaves.
Some jewelry, accessories and weapons being reusable makes sense. Most clothing and armour (and shoes) would be sized to fit and should need to be acquired anew for each slave. As part of the item overhaul, I suggest having a property on each item indicating whether it is reusable or only usable by the specific slave that it was purchased for (concept similar to "soulbound" in other games). If not reusable, get rid of it when the slave goes. We could track sizes and apply penalties for using the wrong sizes, but it's more complexity for little gain.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Question: do you guys think there should be microphones in singing lessons?

Are microphones a thing in JONT (the place with plasma riffle and cyborgs but also medieval style weapons and entertainments)?

Lokplart

- I can code, I guess :D
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2018
Are microphones a thing in JONT (the place with plasma riffle and cyborgs but also medieval style weapons and entertainments)?
Yeah. We don't need to say how they work. It could have a sound amplifying magic crystal inside instead of technology.

Pianocat

Oct 14, 2018
Pianocat Do you still have the templates for the slave portraits?
Seems I logged up the right day^^'
As I'm rarely around here I will give the details.

I used the files given by Qwertyu, but I "simplified" the frame to mass edit the portraits (the .psd file was too complex).
Here is the base for all versions:
base.png

Here is the topping for colored/sepia versions:
topping.png

Here is the topping for black and white versions:
toppingnb.png

So you have to do a "sandwich" with the portrait between the two layers. Obviously you have to convert the portraits to b&w for the b&w version ; for the sepia, just apply this filter (with XnConvert) on the colored framed portrait:

1598285334571.png

That's all :)

wowguy13045

Jan 3, 2020
How do i make it so a slave is willing to answer my questions no matter what i try they always answer with "I wont answer until you stop treating me like an object or stop treating me like a slave" ive run out of ideas on what to do

wowguy13045

Jan 3, 2020
Well i started to increase it and she was even answering but then she ran away is there a way to prevent that from happening?

4.00 star(s) 58 Votes