qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
The dev version? I fixed both, 80 had the problem in the json file and the later one the real problem was in the filename of the portraits
Yes, the dev' version. The OP has a link to it. Though you probably don't need it now.

What was the problem with the filename of slave 1101?

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Weird phenomena trying to sell to Uncle Bo on this save:
If I just go and sell to him directly and bargain, I get 1296 sparks, with a message saying my charming slave raised the price.
If I take her to the salon beforehand, raising her style and therefore charm, I get 1010 sparks, with a message saying my brand recognition raised the price.

dev version (not -ia)
Bargaining has some pseudo-randomization to produce a non-deterministic outcome; it can produce variable results, including what you saw here. The slave was already charming enough without the spa visit, clearly, or else the buyer would have refused. Perhaps the buyer was in a different mood because of something that happened "off-camera" while you spent the extra time at the spa.

delta5

Jan 8, 2020
New to game. I explain the life of a slave 3 times, give slave cheap clothing, but idk what to do after that. She always refuses to do anything. I am playing on kind of hard settings where my char has second to lowest starting stats on everything. I also pick up the free isabelle slave to handle everyday stuff so I can focus on training myself and slave.

Is there a way to 'tame' slaves without being mean?

Abecalp

Aug 7, 2019
is it really possible to survive slums? every time slave rebells i lose 5-6 point of stamina and overnight recovery is only 1 point

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
The json says long hair and the filenames say short, that was the issue I think
Okay, this had been corrected before on 2.2.1 dev' version. Thanks for the report ;)

New to game. I explain the life of a slave 3 times, give slave cheap clothing, but idk what to do after that. She always refuses to do anything. I am playing on kind of hard settings where my char has second to lowest starting stats on everything. I also pick up the free isabelle slave to handle everyday stuff so I can focus on training myself and slave.

Yes, there's a way to build obedience without being mean. Have you followed the tutorial? The infos there are a bit overwhelming at first, so it can be worth re-reading the sections there.

When you say she "refuses to do anything", maybe you are assuming that. For exemple, a slave might refuse cooking for you but not refuse to do a painting, while another might refuse to do a painting but willingly train her fighting skills.

is it really possible to survive slums? every time slave rebells i lose 5-6 point of stamina and overnight recovery is only 1 point
Yes it's possible, there have been many reports of people doing a slums playthrough successfully (y)

Obviously, you don't want the slave to rebel, so make sure she doesn't resort to fighting back. There are many ways for that, though I don't want to spoil you. :)

Last edited:

justacook

Jun 30, 2017
I can't turn in any contracts any idea why? the guild wanted an artist so I trained my slave dance, singing and painting, they are at level 2. yet I cant turn them in. now the slave is a grade C- and I still can't turn the contract in.

Abecalp

Aug 7, 2019
Okay, this had been corrected before on 2.2.1 dev' version. Thanks for the report ;)

Yes, there's a way to build obedience without being mean. Have you followed the tutorial? The infos there are a bit overwhelming at first, so it can be worth re-reading the sections there.

When you say she "refuses to do anything", maybe you are assuming that. For exemple, a slave might refuse cooking for you but not refuse to do a painting, while another might refuse to do a painting but willingly train her fighting skills.

Yes it's possible, there have been many reports of people doing a slums playthrough successfully (y)

Obviously, you don't want the slave to rebel, so make sure she doesn't resort to fighting back. There are many ways for that, though I don't want to spoil you. :)
i really want you to spoil me, because i tried using BDSM costumes, but they just dont work for me. Also i really would like to know if there is a way to prevent them from trying to kill me in my sleep

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I can't turn in any contracts any idea why? the guild wanted an artist so I trained my slave dance, singing and painting, they are at level 2. yet I cant turn them in. now the slave is a grade C- and I still can't turn the contract in.
We are working our way to make clearer refusal messages, in order to have clues what went wrong.

In the meantime, can you send me the quote you receive from the buyer that refuses you? It's probably because your slave's charm is below C-. But it can be because she has scars or low energy or in recovery from surgery.

i really want you to spoil me, because i tried using BDSM costumes, but they just dont work for me. Also i really would like to know if there is a way to prevent them from trying to kill me in my sleep
For exemple, you can train yourself to magic. Then with that you install fear easily with the spell Tremendio. With fear, she'll be more likely to obey. If she obeys, she'll be likely to be rewarded, which will give her incentive to obey even more. In absence of magic, you can threaten her.

Unless your slave's problem is that she's depressed? In that case she won't care much about your orders, so you better raise her mood first.

As for your slave not trying to kill you in your sleep, this will be a byproduct of being successful at getting obeyed without stepping over the line.

If you're still failing after that, send me a screenshot of her aura and we'll see together what you can improve and how.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020

Mood is very important, both for the results of anything you ask her to do, and for how she will develop and her overnight behavior. If the slave ends the day with a mood that is calm or better, that’s a good day. If she ends the day unhappy, that’s not good. In the short term, it may not matter, but as a general rule, bad mood = expect problems. She is more likely to try to escape, fight you, or become depressed and eventually suicidal. Of course, she will only try to fight you if she believes she has a chance. Your relative stats compared to her, particularly strength, fighting skill, and the overall strength of your aura (if you use auspex on her, you can see whether your aura is stronger than hers) affect whether she will fight you seriously or not. Of course, she may also fight you when you try to punish her physically, so stick to verbal punishment (or “passive” punishment like taking away her bedroll) if you are a weakling… You can also go spar at the colosseum to build up your strength and fighting skill, but this is entirely optional.

Besides rewards, you can improve her mood by giving her certain clothing, making sure she is clean (spa or baths if you aren’t living in the slums), and having her do her favorite activity (if she has one). Don’t neglect the “ask questions” interactions with the slave, they can give you useful hints. If the slave is refusing to answer, that just tells you that you need to work on their obedience more.

This is for you, too, Abecalp

As a last resort, a slave can’t bother you overnight if she is in a dungeon cell or frozen in cryo storage. If you aren’t sure how to fix the situation, you can always freeze the slave for 1 spark/day and work on another one. With loans and guild contracts, it’s usually possible to get another slave…

Last edited:

Abecalp

Aug 7, 2019
Mood is very important, both for the results of anything you ask her to do, and for how she will develop and her overnight behavior. If the slave ends the day with a mood that is calm or better, that’s a good day. If she ends the day unhappy, that’s not good. In the short term, it may not matter, but as a general rule, bad mood = expect problems. She is more likely to try to escape, fight you, or become depressed and eventually suicidal. Of course, she will only try to fight you if she believes she has a chance. Your relative stats compared to her, particularly strength, fighting skill, and the overall strength of your aura (if you use auspex on her, you can see whether your aura is stronger than hers) affect whether she will fight you seriously or not. Of course, she may also fight you when you try to punish her physically, so stick to verbal punishment (or “passive” punishment like taking away her bedroll) if you are a weakling… You can also go spar at the colosseum to build up your strength and fighting skill, but this is entirely optional.

Besides rewards, you can improve her mood by giving her certain clothing, making sure she is clean (spa or baths if you aren’t living in the slums), and having her do her favorite activity (if she has one). Don’t neglect the “ask questions” interactions with the slave, they can give you useful hints. If the slave is refusing to answer, that just tells you that you need to work on their obedience more.

This is for you, too, Abecalp

As a last resort, a slave can’t bother you overnight if she is in a dungeon cell or frozen in cryo storage. If you aren’t sure how to fix the situation, you can always freeze the slave for 1 spark/day and work on another one. With loans and guild contracts, it’s usually possible to get another slave…
I think its important to say that my start is slums lowskill with 500 sparks and no relation. So opposite to delta5, i have no real option like overpower them or induce fear with magic, and if i dare to be meanie she just kills me or herself even if she is in the fuckin petsuit

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I think its important to say that my start is slums lowskill with 500 sparks and no relation. So opposite to delta5, i have no real option like overpower them or induce fear with magic, and if i dare to be meanie she just kills me or herself even if she is in the fuckin petsuit
I’m sure she can still find a way to suicide while wearing the pet suit. Attacking you at night is more questionable, but if she can find a sharp edge somewhere (knife in the kitchen, any blades from the master’s arsenal), she can probably cut herself out of the restraints during the night and then attack you. During the day, it’s assumed that you are taking her out of it during activities (for the duration of the activity), which means she has the chance to fight you if she wants.

Usually when I do a no-skill start, I limit punishments to verbal only and focus on keeping her mood up and spend most of my energy on training the slaver himself. Do the cleaning, practice magic, go spar in the arena. You can also take the slave to the arena if she refuses to do anything else; at least she’ll gain some skill that way, and you can earn some sparks by having her fight in the arena battles each decade. You can hire tutors or send the slave to school, making up for your inability to train her personally. If you are lucky, there will be something she likes to learn enough to accept lessons from the beginning. If not, at least you’ve made some money off her from the arena. Rinse and repeat. There are more advanced strategies like mindbreaking her, training her in various skills when she can’t refuse, then building up her nature attribute again so you can sell her… but even without this, you can succeed.

Abecalp

Aug 7, 2019
I’m sure she can still find a way to suicide while wearing the pet suit. Attacking you at night is more questionable, but if she can find a sharp edge somewhere (knife in the kitchen, any blades from the master’s arsenal), she can probably cut herself out of the restraints during the night and then attack you. During the day, it’s assumed that you are taking her out of it during activities (for the duration of the activity), which means she has the chance to fight you if she wants.

Usually when I do a no-skill start, I limit punishments to verbal only and focus on keeping her mood up and spend most of my energy on training the slaver himself. Do the cleaning, practice magic, go spar in the arena. You can also take the slave to the arena if she refuses to do anything else; at least she’ll gain some skill that way, and you can earn some sparks by having her fight in the arena battles each decade. You can hire tutors or send the slave to school, making up for your inability to train her personally. If you are lucky, there will be something she likes to learn enough to accept lessons from the beginning. If not, at least you’ve made some money off her from the arena. Rinse and repeat. There are more advanced strategies like mindbreaking her, training her in various skills when she can’t refuse, then building up her nature attribute again so you can sell her… but even without this, you can succeed.
unfortunately i cant do that without savescum, but otherwise its managable. Thanks for a cell rent advice, that helped a lot

justacook

Jun 30, 2017
We are working our way to make clearer refusal messages, in order to have clues what went wrong.

In the meantime, can you send me the quote you receive from the buyer that refuses you? It's probably because your slave's charm is below C-. But it can be because she has scars or low energy or in recovery from surgery.
heres some pics to see what im dealing with, hope it helps

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
heres some pics to see what im dealing with, hope it helps
Well this one is obvious. The girl tells you that she needs to be a D- artist. Is your slave's general rank above D-? Sure. But does she qualify to be an artist?

No. This is explained in the "specialization" menu of your journal/objectives. Your assistant can also hint you at what your slave qualifies to be.

So... Yeah, you need to raise the essential artistic skills to at least B+.

justacook

Jun 30, 2017
Well this one is obvious. The girl tells you that she needs to be a D- artist. Is your slave's general rank above D-? Sure. But does she qualify to be an artist?

No. This is explained in the "specialization" menu of your journal/objectives. Your assistant can also hint you at what your slave qualifies to be.

I see, thanks for the help

Reactions: qwertyu12359

anon695548

May 15, 2021

do you happen to know what the primary stat for assistant is? in the same way a slave needs to be good at art to be sold as an artist regardless of the rest of their rank, what is the stat they need for assistant?

Alkaid_

May 27, 2021
Why does the Grandpa dude portrait affect you in custom start? I replaced that portrait with a custom one because I didn't like any of the existing master pictures, but then I noticed a custom objective and realised that the reason my libido was locked was because of the setting labeled 'appearance'. xD

4.00 star(s) 58 Votes