4.90 star(s) 106 Votes

GreatAlucard

Jan 20, 2021
I saw that before I started playing but didn't know if I should really get any of those patches.

The story being dark and/or sad in any way I'm fine with, my problem with them is that more often than not these types of "warnings" refer to dark subjects that are handled extremely poorly or in a very tacky manner, which hurts the narrative more than helps it - I don't know if it's the case for this particular game though, obviously.

It'd help if there was more information on what exactly changes - as in I'd be more comfortable with it if it was all content past the characters regular ending than if it randomly introduced stuff that doesn't necessarily fit with their narratives and was scrapped for a good reason.

The title mentioning "pre-alpha" also doesn't exactly send a good sign.

Edit: limited research on the subject suggests that whilst there's "some" good on the restored version, the release version is likely to be, at least in general, a better end product, as one would expect.

Last edited:

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
GreatAlucard

I will say or type one thing, suicide.

I don't remember but the pre-alpha had the original stories in it but some of the stories were not completed yet in it.

Lynn

May 21, 2017
With that being said my question is: do the other characters have something closer to what you'd expect from an ending or is it the rule that they simply end on a somewhat sudden moment?
I think the route that comes the closest to a "complete" story would be Emi's. I don't really like spoiling things, so I'll just say there's a lot of things that are shown/said that you understand differently by the end of it. Then I would say Rin's story is also similar in terms of personal growth, but that route is very different from the others.

The vibe of the game and its endings is about a chapter of the characters' lives that ends with a window into their future, not everything is necessarily resolved and people are still flawed. Things ending when they seem to just begin is the point, in a way.
For Hanako, it's also jarring because IIRC, the whole story takes place within weeks, while, for instance, Shizune's route lasts the whole school year. I was also left wanting for more after the good ending, but all three are fitting to Hanako.

Reactions: Ti'elby Mercedes

GreatAlucard

Jan 20, 2021
Suicide as a subject for a narrative can work, meaning the theme itself is fine, it's just really hard to write well about it, often times narratives that deal with it are just filled with misconceptions and poor information - which would be fine for most themes, since fiction, but for more serious themes such mistakes are just too apparent to be ignored.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I got that it's supposed to be just a chapter, I think it's maybe a problem with having played Hanako's route first, it just felt too abrupt because I wasn't expecting it - in general I like this more "open" kind of ending that doesn't exactly explain too much and leaves you with more questions than answers, but even then it felt to me like Hanako's was just a few scenes short of getting to that point (even if it was just something like Lilly commenting on their relationship).

Either way I liked it enough to be convinced I'm rating it 5/5 after I'm done with all routes - I've been suspecting since fairly early in the game that Shizune would be my favorite between the characters so I'm playing her route second, and I'm very pleased so far, especially with her sense of humor.

It is rather weird how much the characters not on the route you're on feel somewhat abandoned (narratively, from a player's perspective), since there's things the main character does with/for someone else in a route that you, as a player, know will not be done on another, but, even then, I understand why it's done the way it is.

Also, thank you for the non spoiler information regarding the other routes, I appreciate it - it does make me look forward for the following playthroughs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynn

SDDA

Jun 21, 2017
I don't know if it was mentioned before but there was a team that created a game very similar to this one (school for kids with disabilites). They wanted it to be katawa shoujo 2 or something but the creators didn't let them, i don't remember the name of the game but they released a demo years ago, does anyone know something about it? I'm interested if they finised it or abandoned it.

Jan 1, 2018
I don't know if it was mentioned before but there was a team that created a game very similar to this one (school for kids with disabilites). They wanted it to be katawa shoujo 2 or something but the creators didn't let them, i don't remember the name of the game but they released a demo years ago, does anyone know something about it? I'm interested if they finised it or abandoned it.
I suppose there could have been more than one such project, but the one I remember revolved around kids with mental disabilities (Down's, for example). It got shut down HARD, based primarily on the issue of sexual content with characters who may not have been capable of mature consent. To be honest, I can see both sides of that issue, and I don't blame the developers for ultimately deciding not to try to walk that tightrope.

Reactions: SDDA

SDDA

Jun 21, 2017
Found it in the meantime, music box dev is making full hearts. The last update was 4 months ago, telling us its almost finished.

Reactions: Lynn

Lynn

May 21, 2017
It is rather weird how much the characters not on the route you're on feel somewhat abandoned (narratively, from a player's perspective), since there's things the main character does with/for someone else in a route that you, as a player, know will not be done on another, but, even then, I understand why it's done the way it is.
That's true to an extent, in the routes of some, other main characters are adressed in some way. For one person in particular, it was made clear that they keep moving on their own despite not being Hisao's love interest in that timeline. It was a great touch that reminds the player Hisao is not the entire world, he's just one guy. I like being shown that the player-character is not essential to the lives of others, but it's true most characters will be kind of forgotten about, even if they're related to the story taking place in some way.

Either way I liked it enough to be convinced I'm rating it 5/5 after I'm done with all routes - I've been suspecting since fairly early in the game that Shizune would be my favorite between the characters so I'm playing her route second, and I'm very pleased so far, especially with her sense of humor.
As little as I cared for her route, I can't deny it's the funniest one, by far. I wouldn't have played her route more than once if it wasn't for how entertaining it was (at times atleast).

GreatAlucard

Jan 20, 2021
I've done the other 4 routes and I only have Emi's left.

So far I'd say that Rin's route is the one I liked the most, but I do have a major problem with Hisao in that route.

Shizune's route starts of really strong, especially because of the humor, but for some reason it ceases to be a thing at a certain point, and despite me actually liking the character, and the endings, it does feel like it drags a bit later on.

For Lily's the general theme of her narrative is somewhat overused in stories, despite that it still does manage to keep itself interesting though, mainly because of the characters themselves, which is good.

Thankfully I didn't feel any of the other endings were as abrupt as Hanako's - they're all very open ended and don't exactly tell you what will happen, but they still feel like actual endings.

In general I do think that the narratives have their share of "low" points, thankfully this game's characters are more than interesting enough to elevate it, even on those less interesting times. If nothing else Katawa Shoujo is a master class on teaching you how to look at people for what they can do and not for what they can't.

Edit: Now that I'm finished with the game: I do think that Rin and Emi's paths are a step above the others in writing, despite me thinking that all of them are good, even then, I don't like Hisao on either of them but I understand why he was written like that.

My favorite character is still Shizune though.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
On whose route does the MC impregnate?
It on Hanako's in the beta version of the game, it is only hinted at, its at the end of her good ending part of the story.

Under the spoiler " RELATED PROJECTS "
"Katawa Shoujo Pre-alpha Repair + Lily Patch:"

Reactions: _Maou_

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Thanks! Guess after playing a little bit more I have to say that Hanako is also quite nice and cute. Though Lilly is definitely the top choice for me. The game is getting better and better, so maybe I was a bit too hasty with my opinion.
What ever you do just please play all good routes at least once.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Hard to ignore such a strong recommendation - you all seem to be loving the game. ;) Was thinking about taking the time to get good endings with Lilly, Hanako and probably Emi. Shizune is too bossy and argumentative, Misha is too loud and Rin.. Well Rin is too much of an airhead and not a good match for a germaphobe. :D Unless the first two make a complete transition as the story progresses?
Rin's story was the hardest to get through for me but it still has a great ending.
For me Emi was the best followed by Lilly, Hanako then Shizune and last Rin.
Misha is part of Shizune route and she is the (well better not spoil it for you.)

Even though all the girls are present in all the stories each story is its own game/VN to play through.
Make a save at the very first choice you get when you first arrive at the school, that saves you time and can start there for each story.

Krabgee

Feb 5, 2019
I suppose there could have been more than one such project, but the one I remember revolved around kids with mental disabilities (Down's, for example). It got shut down HARD, based primarily on the issue of sexual content with characters who may not have been capable of mature consent. To be honest, I can see both sides of that issue, and I don't blame the developers for ultimately deciding not to try to walk that tightrope.
That one is called Missing Stars and it's still in development. I don't remember the game being shut down, but if it did, none of the characters have a disorder that might make them unable to consent.

Lynn

May 21, 2017
Some points that I find interesting (maybe don't read if you have played the routes once and plan on doing them again, might ruin the experience) :

Emi was in love with Hisao, and terrified of losing him, yet she kept pushing him away and leading things into an outcome she so desperately tried to avoid. Don't understand why Hanako doubted MC's feelings after the sweet moments they shared in her room. Also, did she really say she slept with him because she was afraid to lose a "friend"? Shizune did not seem to care much for Hisao, and at the end that just parted ways with a promise to "re-unite" someday. Rin was too much for me, but based on her story's synopsis their romance was horrifically challenging. Lilly did not love Hisao enough to stay with him in JP - she thought about it a for long time meaning this was an option. Clearly she was just not convinced that this was what she really wanted to do. She then made a well thought out and conscious decision. You basically need to have a heart attack to change her mind (you might even say you need to guilt her into staying), and I don't buy that whole "he was not there for her".
About Emi : she's very much the "act first, think later" character. There are several moments when she says this herself, most importantly when she talks about her potential future with Hisao and says that she simply does not project herself that far ahead. This is both due to losing her father, which was a huge emotional blow, but also her ability to run, or simply put "losing her legs again". Emi doesn't accept the possibility of losing things again, hence why she hid her infection to keep running, and why she was dishonest towards Hisao.
About Hanako : Hanako's perspective is by far the saddest. She's an orphan who blames herself for the death of her parents and she had to endure bullying during her entire childhood, including from other children she thought were her friends. Hisao did see her as a broken person that needed constant help from everyone, which must be pretty sufocating, and even worse when it's coming from people you truly loved. Sleeping with him was the only way she could think of to prove she's a woman just like Lilly is instead of an erased person who has put their life "on hold" as Hisao puts it.
About Lilly : this has more to do with her upbringing, which is a huge point of focus in her route. Her eduation dictates that she was supposed to return to Scotland at her parents' request, regardless of what she wanted. In contrast, Akira did make her own decision. I see this less as Lilly betraying Hisao and more as Lilly not realizing she had a choice in the matter. I'm not the biggest fan of Lilly's route, and I feel the same about some of these points, but I also think it's subtle in how it portrays the characters and their decision-making.

Iwanako's letter and how it is approached usually gives an indication about these things, because it shows how the characters around Hisao have an influence on him. In Emi's route, Hisao disregards it without a second thought. In Hanako's route, he struggles with it because he doesn't know what to say, despite feeling like he still has to respond. In Lilly's route (if I recall correctly), he convinces himself the letter is a formality that he is not supposed to reply to.

That's my interpretation of it, anyway. KS used to be my go-to time killer when I was riding the train so I played through the game a lot, and I started to piece these things together at some point.

FFTW

Jun 7, 2017
So here are two "Extras" that I have had for awhile (like, many years) and noticed that they haven't been shared here yet. They are both flash fangames. The first is basically "Castlevania meets Katawa Shoujo" and stars Kenji. The second is my favorite, It is hard to describe but it is basically an "endless flyer/jumper" with the characters each having a unique powerup or powerdown. It is quite fun and addictive and even has trophies! Hope you guys enjoy both of them :).

4.90 star(s) 106 Votes