Filippa2000

Jun 22, 2017
well no update in a month?
You have an interesting definition of how long ago July was.
Also 3500$ split with 4 people is a really low price actually. That means each person gets 875$ which if you don't have a main job; GL surviving.

bauman

Sep 11, 2018
It's 3.5k now, it was 7.5k a couple years back when people were actually exited about the game. And they were splitting those 7.5k in 2, not 4. They have only themselves to blame. This was a gold mine. If somebody launches a new project and "enhances" the concept, it will be a blow up success.

Reactions: Shakira and pizbia

WiccaWicked

Jan 6, 2018
Sierra lee is working by herself, and she puts out higher quality, better updates faster than a team of people. And there was a point where hreinn had more per month than her, and more people, and they were putting out less content. I would bet a solid chunk of change that the "amicable parting of ways" was due to sierra wanting them to actually fucking do something, rather than lazily shit out 2 updates a year. Theres even a guy on their discord, unpaid, who is offering them scenes hes writing himself. Either hreinn no longer cares about the project, and it should be left to die, or they just want to milk it, and it should be left to die. It's not a meme anymore, the game is basically dead in the water.

I made a post on their patreon a year ago about the direction of the game being bad for them if they conti ue to focus on updates that have no content, and I got shouted down by the horde, and at that point I knew the project would never live up to its potential.

Jinsoyun

Sep 28, 2018
Sierra lee is working by herself, and she puts out higher quality, better updates faster than a team of people. And there was a point where hreinn had more per month than her, and more people, and they were putting out less content. I would bet a solid chunk of change that the "amicable parting of ways" was due to sierra wanting them to actually fucking do something, rather than lazily shit out 2 updates a year. Theres even a guy on their discord, unpaid, who is offering them scenes hes writing himself. Either hreinn no longer cares about the project, and it should be left to die, or they just want to milk it, and it should be left to die. It's not a meme anymore, the game is basically dead in the water.

I made a post on their patreon a year ago about the direction of the game being bad for them if they conti ue to focus on updates that have no content, and I got shouted down by the horde, and at that point I knew the project would never live up to its potential.
I'll take you on that bet to get the free solid chunk of change.
Back when Sierra left, their patreon was around 5-6k shared among 2 person. Then, according to your win condition on this bet, Nomo came up with the idea to "milk" the project by lowering the monthly income to 3.5k and sharing it among 4-5 team members.
That's one tough case for you. This project has it's flaws, but i do take you up on the bet that this was not it.

shinra...

Aug 19, 2018
does anyone know whats up? I seem to be stuck at the kira camp section. I helped the minotaur but now all he is saying is I will call you when I need you but the quest arrow points to the camp. Also I am on the tetrok route. Have I reached the end of the content or am I missing something because I have gone everywhere and did pretty much everything I can do.

Hourglass

Feb 26, 2018
does anyone know whats up? I seem to be stuck at the kira camp section. I helped the minotaur but now all he is saying is I will call you when I need you but the quest arrow points to the camp. Also I am on the tetrok route. Have I reached the end of the content or am I missing something because I have gone everywhere and did pretty much everything I can do.
Did you try sleeping? Some of the events get triggered when you sleep.
Minotaur quest is not the end of content.

warbandit

Jun 11, 2018
I'll take you on that bet to get the free solid chunk of change.
Back when Sierra left, their patreon was around 5-6k shared among 2 person. Then, according to your win condition on this bet, Nomo came up with the idea to "milk" the project by lowering the monthly income to 3.5k and sharing it among 4-5 team members.
That's one tough case for you. This project has it's flaws, but i do take you up on the bet that this was not it.
You say you're accepting their bet but then you move the goalposts. The 2 others (not 5, at least not according to their official pages) that were added to the project came when SL was leaving already.
You're also failing to account for the fact that they're delivering less content and arguably less polish in a span of over 4 months than they did before in around a month and a week? If you don't work at all on something and get a bit less cash, you can still do something else for money and get money, it might in fact be more lucrative.

That said, that reasoning isn't proof, whatever side of a wager you take on this is merely speculation.
Hard facts is that the game releases are critically staggered and have barely anything to show for it.
If i recall correctly nomo had some rough personal difficulties and honestly I wish him(?) the best but it doesn't change the fact that I'm not willing to support a group of creators that is slacking off.
Those who support them, well, it's their money, their call.

Back

Aug 3, 2017
They weren't ever that fast. *Digs up old notes*
Here are the major releases per Patreon updates:
Version & Release Date​
0.1.0 - 2017, May 25th​
0.2.0 - 2017, July 27th​
0.3.0 - 2017, October 7th​
0.4.0 - 2018, January 19th​
0.5.0 - 2018, May 23rd​
0.6.0 - 2018, September 17th​
0.7.0 - 2018, December 31st​
0.8.2 - 2019, April 10th​
0.9.0 - 2019, September 23rd​
0.10 - 2020, March 08​

I forget exactly when Sierra left, but it was sometime in 2018 if I recall. Hreinn Games had expanded their duo with Ndsferrari and Monaco Dingo way back in November 2017, before expanding their team once again to its current size in early 2019(?). (Didn't they pick up another scenario writer?) So with the tragedy that Nomo had in April 2020 and the current pandemic, there's an understandable delay, but not about getting their team up to speed after Sierra's departure that they sometimes use. They were finally starting to get a little better with communication over the summer, but to no one's surprise that didn't last.

I understand that development takes time (such as the writing, coding, and art), but at least the pace was fairly reasonable in the first several updates. Yes, the game gets more complex as it goes on so you might think that development takes longer, but the stuff that gets added are essentially modules or episodes. You can use the end states or variables of those and continue to press forward. Other individuals or teams do a better job at that and produce much more content faster. The same is true on the art front as well. A lot of it are just variations of a few CGs. As you plainly see from the dates above, Hreinn Games have been getting slower. This is fact. And since they don't typically tell people what they're doing (along with subpar updates lately), people will of course think they might be milking the project. Perhaps they lost their way and don't really know where to go with the direction of the project. (I haven't even touched this game since 2019 just so when I do get back to trying it the updates would feel meaningful again and have some content.)

It's like they have this stigma about them since they don't seem to understand that their number one problem before anything else is their lack of decent communication about the progress of the project. I bet; I can almost guarantee that if Hreinn Games would just communicate better, and actual progress is being made that they can kick this ill miasma that they have and garner some good faith and hope back from their fans. Yet, they won't. I simply do not understand why they won't in all honestly as it would surely bring in much needed revenue for them by way of new or returning patrons.

As it is, they are still on track with their slower pace (with the understandable delays mentioned earlier) if they drop another major release by the end of the month. If they fail to do so or don't even post an excuse why it didn't happen, then it's another mark against them. Fans would be rightly justified to think Hreinn Games are indeed milking the patrons with this project. Hopefully that's not the case and something extraordinary will pop up soon.

Eh, sorry about digressing into their communication issues and other stuff. Meant to just talk about the game's release pace. Maybe a gaming god or even one of the team sees this and encourage Hreinn Games to communicate better. I don't know, but here's hoping! I'm going to make some brownies now 'cause now I feel terrible, heh. Stay safe, y'all, and make sure to wear masks! Would hate to find out that we lost one of you guys. Cheers!

Jinsoyun

Sep 28, 2018
You say you're accepting their bet but then you move the goalposts. The 2 others (not 5, at least not according to their official pages) that were added to the project came when SL was leaving already.
You're also failing to account for the fact that they're delivering less content and arguably less polish in a span of over 4 months than they did before in around a month and a week? If you don't work at all on something and get a bit less cash, you can still do something else for money and get money, it might in fact be more lucrative.

That said, that reasoning isn't proof, whatever side of a wager you take on this is merely speculation.
Hard facts is that the game releases are critically staggered and have barely anything to show for it.
If i recall correctly nomo had some rough personal difficulties and honestly I wish him(?) the best but it doesn't change the fact that I'm not willing to support a group of creators that is slacking off.
Those who support them, well, it's their money, their call.
I'm not moving the goalposts, i just directed the attention to what i think is the most illogical in WW's bet. If it is as he said and Sierra wanted to get things done faster and Nomo wanted to slow down and milk it, then why did Hreinn end up hiring all those people? They could have just remained a duo or a trio and get more cash each.

I understand the point of view of a frustrated fan, i'm one too, i just don't like to express it that much. Back also summed things up very well. But at least to me things like Nomo's first idea after getting a new tablet being to draw a very nice piece of art that's related to this game suggest that his mind is still in this project and he wants to keep it going.

mamamilia

May 24, 2018
If this project isn't considered abandoned yet it deserves to be. Honestly, the update rythm wasn't fast even before Sierra left, but at least the updates brought proper content, now it's just ... painly oblivious that Hreinn games don't care anymore about KoD. I was part of the first backers of this project, but honestly it's not worth supporting anymore.

Feb 1, 2017
If this project isn't considered abandoned yet it deserves to be. Honestly, the update rythm wasn't fast even before Sierra left, but at least the updates brought proper content, now it's just ... painly oblivious that Hreinn games don't care anymore about KoD. I was part of the first backers of this project, but honestly it's not worth supporting anymore.
A part of me agrees with you, but another part wants to take on the bloomer mentality rather than the doomer one. My one biggest naive hope for this game is that at least Nomo got himself a good drawing tablet last month, but then again it might have just been for his day job, if being an artist is in fact his "professional" one.

On the subject of day jobs, it's fairly certain all of them have at least one other job, or at least they are freelancers, because there's no way in hell you can live off of $1000 alone (Nomo is from Eastern Europe where you could potentially live off of it, but Nds is from the US somewhere and Monsinne fuck knows). So that *might* give them an excuse for their slow development speed, if only they actually communicated at least bi-weekly if not weekly on the status of the update. Because from what other people have mentioned throughout the entire thread, they barely communicate on Discord either.

Now I myself am only an aspiring armchair dev, so I can only speculate on which dev is actually the bottleneck. Nomo's got years of drawing experience under his belt, so that can't be it. From the very few times I've managed to catch his streams, he drew at *semi* decent speed (compared to other artists who I randomly watched stream, but I can't really blame him because I really like his art when it's not rushed like those abysmal scenes from last time) but if he worked on the art at least every other day, that wouldn't be a problem I'd imagine. It's a Ren'Py visual novel, so how difficult can it actually be to code in the text from the writer and art from the artist, especially after having months of time to learn to code in Ren'Py even if you haven't done it before. The only excuse for him would be that the game does indeed have multiple paths, but even then I don't see how it can take multiple months to code in an overall 1-hour or less game time per update. So I can only speculate that it's the writer, because Sierra's pumping out updates to her main game like people in impoverished countries are pumping out children, not to mention her side projects over the years while also working on Noxian Nights and then later KoD. And it sucks, because I personally like the writing of the new writer.

I didn't expect to write this much but damn, it feels like most good WEGs are cursed to either be abandoned or milked like this and it makes me sad. I just want to have a few good cooms every month, but I'm at the mercy of a handful WEG devs who are more into findom than drawing or rendering tits.

RJ24

Jan 15, 2019
Well their last update post on Patreon is a month ago. Don't know if that's supposed to make one feel like there's still more to come or we are just too busy to Develop. I understand day jobs and now the new pandemic would hinder you. But here's hoping that we see a new update coming soon. Don't wanna just give up on a game I've supported for a long time now.

Reactions: rockon123
D

Deleted member 914647

A part of me agrees with you, but another part wants to take on the bloomer mentality rather than the doomer one. My one biggest naive hope for this game is that at least Nomo got himself a good drawing tablet last month, but then again it might have just been for his day job, if being an artist is in fact his "professional" one.

On the subject of day jobs, it's fairly certain all of them have at least one other job, or at least they are freelancers, because there's no way in hell you can live off of $1000 alone (Nomo is from Eastern Europe where you could potentially live off of it, but Nds is from the US somewhere and Monsinne fuck knows). So that *might* give them an excuse for their slow development speed, if only they actually communicated at least bi-weekly if not weekly on the status of the update. Because from what other people have mentioned throughout the entire thread, they barely communicate on Discord either.

Now I myself am only an aspiring armchair dev, so I can only speculate on which dev is actually the bottleneck. Nomo's got years of drawing experience under his belt, so that can't be it. From the very few times I've managed to catch his streams, he drew at *semi* decent speed (compared to other artists who I randomly watched stream, but I can't really blame him because I really like his art when it's not rushed like those abysmal scenes from last time) but if he worked on the art at least every other day, that wouldn't be a problem I'd imagine. It's a Ren'Py visual novel, so how difficult can it actually be to code in the text from the writer and art from the artist, especially after having months of time to learn to code in Ren'Py even if you haven't done it before. The only excuse for him would be that the game does indeed have multiple paths, but even then I don't see how it can take multiple months to code in an overall 1-hour or less game time per update. So I can only speculate that it's the writer, because Sierra's pumping out updates to her main game like people in impoverished countries are pumping out children, not to mention her side projects over the years while also working on Noxian Nights and then later KoD. And it sucks, because I personally like the writing of the new writer.

I didn't expect to write this much but damn, it feels like most good WEGs are cursed to either be abandoned or milked like this and it makes me sad. I just want to have a few good cooms every month, but I'm at the mercy of a handful WEG devs who are more into findom than drawing or rendering tits.
You are talking about creative work like it was just a simple opening an onlyfans account. Not everyone is creative and very few can make quality content. Speed is irrelevant. Some can work fast and produce some shitty content nobody cares about. What they produce is far the best out there in the world and has huge potential. Their biggest problem is their lack of consistency. Looked like they started to give more updates about the progress in August and September, but then stopped, yet again. I hope they are silent because the next update will be an actual update.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: Nitan17 and Back

Jinsoyun

Sep 28, 2018
Well, in one of their recent post they said that this update will have a lot of text. Plus 2-3 patches ago they said that after 2-3 H-oriented updates they would focus on the story a bit more again, so that one seems to fit. And if this bigger quest is indeed story based, then they have to write variations of it... Combining an update like this with the pandemic, personal tragedies and of course the delayed patching of the last one can be time consuming. I do think that their normal speed is slow already, but it seems like this time the worst case scenario of everything coincided.

3.90 star(s) 76 Votes