CourierNPC

Jul 12, 2017
So it's a bad choice for engine? Hreinn make a decent chunk off of patreon bux, wouldn't they be able to hire an additional, part-time coder or someone who works in the background converting the game into a different engine so that future development isn't as slow? Feels like digging one's own grave for no reason.
I heard that Ren'Py is pretty difficult to tame the more the game becomes non-linear VN, while on the other end of the spectrum, RPGM, has little-to-no coding basis and you can make your own story with its abundance of pre-made assets and it'll be ready for marketing half-way down the development

For example: S.H.E.L.T.E.R. is made in Ren'Py and the developers already locked out the route right off the bat, the romance or the dom route depending on how you behave on other ladies.

Fallen: Makina and the City of Ruins is made with RPGM. The gameplay is very simple but it made branching choice a little easier to tame because the artist can utilize repeatables with one or two variants of a scene and just rewrite it for the "ending" phase of the game and you could use the pre-made assets to create NPCs, maybe lighten the load on artist's back and also the developers can think about other gameplay aspects while waiting for the artist to finish their work(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: Jinsoyun and Serena

BigBiggieBig

Jan 6, 2019
I heard that Ren'Py is pretty difficult to tame the more the game becomes non-linear VN, while on the other end of the spectrum, RPGM, has little-to-no coding basis and you can make your own story with its abundance of pre-made assets and it'll be ready for marketing half-way down the development

For example: S.H.E.L.T.E.R. is made in Ren'Py and the developers already locked out the route right off the bat, the romance or the dom route depending on how you behave on other ladies.

Fallen: Makina and the City of Ruins is made with RPGM. The gameplay is very simple but it made branching choice a little easier to tame because the artist can utilize repeatables with one or two variants of a scene and just rewrite it for the "ending" phase of the game and you could use the pre-made assets to create NPCs, maybe lighten the load on artist's back and also the developers can think about other gameplay aspects while waiting for the artist to finish their work(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong
You'd think Hreinn would know that before diving in. Or did they know but chose to go for it anyway? Who knows.

Last edited:

Serena

Aug 13, 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong
Renpy is a piece of shit to code, especially with early branching choices. More choices, more bugs, more time spent wondering what the hell is wrong. There's a reason why vns built in that engine tend to lock their routes fairly early on, I always knew trying to build a rpg in that engine would be a nightmare.
Yep this is true. Ever VN I have played/ come across that is made in Renpy has it's routes locked because if the routes are not locked it causes errors as mentioned by Trip Friend.
It uses python as a basis and I have never coded in Renpy but I have coded in Python however a friend told me that it requires a lot of work (example careful utilization of a selection structure/control structure) to be able to pull off what Hreinn are trying to pull of. I also honestly think that it is the coding part that is causing delays and not the art (I am 100% sure about this. Nomo has made so much shit already that just needs to be implemented in the game but is not getting implemented) or writing (I don't want to shit on the writer as most people have already done this. I tried to write a stage performance once in high school and I know how difficult that was, I nearly sucked at it and had many writers block, but yeah this is not great writing). Basically the game that they envisioned and the engine that they chose is not that a great mix. It works well for the artist but for the coder something like this can become a nightmare. Like when I have to find an errors in a code, it can take from a second to minutes to hours sometimes and especially if the error is logical one or runtime one and if the error is in a code that exceeds 2000+ lines quota (which every program that is meant for the public does)
The best engine as far as I know that even I have used somewhat for a game that has multiple choices is RPGVM/ACE etc.
It makes it super easy to branch route but it also has it's downfalls.

BigBiggieBig

Jan 6, 2019
The best engine as far as I know that even I have used somewhat for a game that has multiple choices is RPGVM/ACE etc.
It makes it super easy to branch route but it also has it's downfalls.
Nice to get multiple inputs from people who seem to know what they're talking about. To me, it just seems like more incompetence regarding the choice of engine, but perhaps they saw flaws in the other engines that hindered their 'vision' for the game. But I don't think there's much vision when it took over five years to get to V0.13.

CourierNPC

Jul 12, 2017
To me, it just seems like more incompetence regarding the choice of engine, but perhaps they saw flaws in the other engines that hindered their 'vision' for the game
I mean, when your artist says that Ren'Py is the easier engine to make a game with branching routes right away without researching more on the engine itself, you know you fucked up big time.

But if I were Ndsferarri, I'd demand RPGM any day of the week 'cause it has a lot of assets to use (and even to expand upon), and little-to-no coding is required at the cost of very simplistic gameplay mechanics.

BigBiggieBig

Jan 6, 2019
I mean, when your artist says that Ren'Py is the easier engine to make a game with branching routes right away without researching more on the engine itself, you know you fucked up big time.

But if I were Ndsferarri, I'd demand RPGM any day of the week 'cause it has a lot of assets to use (and even to expand upon), and little-to-no coding is required at the cost of very simplistic gameplay mechanics.
As if the game in its current state has complex gameplay mechanics? The raiding system got dumped, combat is easily handled by spamming attack or silver slash, and then you have the dialogue choices, there really isn't all that to it in terms of complexity.

Last edited:

Great730

Oct 3, 2019
I don't think Ren'Py is the issue here. Wouldn't explain why there's devs that make games on it with 10 times more choices than this game but release an update once a month or two.
Tell me who these developers are, all of whom I follow are updating minumum for 4 or more months, such as
Midnight paradise
Pale carnations
Claire quest
Rise of the white flower
Dilmur well, the Kingdom of deception is here

Reactions: Serena

bitchass92

Dec 11, 2020
Every 5 pages or so this becomes the conversation over the past few years. We honestly need file tabs for "What happened to Sierra Lee?" "Why Ren'py over RPG Maker?" "Help! I'm stuck on XYZ*!" " Post most recent save/gallery?" "Any new updates?" I mean I get it, aint shit else to talk about.

Xill

Jan 10, 2018
Tell me who these developers are, all of whom I follow are updating minumum for 4 or more months, such as
Midnight paradise
Pale carnations
Claire quest
Rise of the white flower
Dilmur well, the Kingdom of deception is here
I haven't seen Ren'Py developers who delivers an "actual" content in 2 months minimum 4-5 max 6 months and it can be more than that depending how many developers work on the project or unexpected delays but sure not because of laziness
Check this game out.

Project Myriam

It has so many choices which shape the character in pretty much any way you want.

There's also this which is more like KoD in terms of it being a sandbox with multiple routes.

Confined with Goddesses

And this one too, and ye it's Skyrim models but we're not talking about the art here.

Tara's Liberation or Alexia's Return

None of these are kinetic novels though.

Serena

Aug 13, 2017
I don't think Ren'Py is the issue here. Wouldn't explain why there's devs that make games on it with 10 times more choices than this game but release an update once a month or two.
Check this game out.

Project Myriam

It has so many choices which shape the character in pretty much any way you want.

There's also this which is more like KoD in terms of it being a sandbox with multiple routes.

Confined with Goddesses

And this one too, and ye it's Skyrim models but we're not talking about the art here.

Tara's Liberation or Alexia's Return

None of these are kinetic novels though.
I suppose I wasn't able to make it clear. Let me be try to clarify things. I believe I said that it was very difficult meaning people can pull it off if they are willing to put time in it and are experienced.
The basis of coding really lies in the coders heart (sounds nerdy and cheesy but it is true), if you want to do it you will and if you don't want to or you thinking like I will do it later and then later, mmmm yeah like this and that then you really can't code. When I started coding our class was basically learning simple programs from 10-20 lines like simple addition and shit. When I got 100% sure that I knew the concept that was being presented I made programs that exceeded 100 lines. I had written a program that was basically like a service providers interface in the first-second semester of my uni. It exceeded 400 lines and I had still planned to make it better, and maybe even shrink it using OOP but I never did because I got lazy you can say thinking that I have the basic concept and the program works so fuck this let's move on (you see that program is still like that incomplete the basic functionality exists like you can return to the main menu from anywhere but only the first menu is actually finished and the rest of the menus are just nothing.). Like I said before I haven't used Renpy but I have used Python and Python supports OOP (Object oriented programming) in which you can basically make class and objects and functions according to that class (for simpler understanding) this makes coding very easy and I mean very easy. Most of my friends that I know code like this, I don't know if games are coded like this or not but I have seen the code of a few games and they usually don't do this.
Hope I was able to clear things. I am also not shaming the coder things can be difficult and sometimes time and life is not just your ally. Like I remember I was trying to learn Sugarcube v2 for the sake of making a game I got into in it but then I was like fuck this shit I am out. Things like this can happen when a person jumps engines or languages.

Reactions: AlienBreeder

CourierNPC

Jul 12, 2017
Ren'Py is one of the issues Ndsferarri has to overcome, since the more complicated KOD becomes, the more time Nds needed to implement it in Ren'Py and Ren'Py is not a suitable engine for a complex VN with overarching branching routes here and there. On top of this, Nds also has to deal with people's suggestions, especially Monsinne (if they had taken the project lead role) who wanted to add new stuff while not knowing how difficult it'd be implementing it on Ren'Py looking how... limiting it can be.

And on top of these two things he has to overcome? He has still himself battling it out inside, whether or not this should continue or call it quits

Now, look at the other devs, I wonder how many are there that use Ren'Py as the base of their game and have overarching branching routes similar to that of this game?

Before I forget, do correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena

Janiclybi

Jan 4, 2019
These look to be sub sabia scenes near the end of the game with the shop advertisement and the State of The Tents quest, you need a certain sub score to get them.
Hello, listen to such an interesting question, but how can I get the scenes in the Store with how the orcs fuck the sabia. If many scenes are not in the game?

3.90 star(s) 76 Votes