3.40 star(s) 19 Votes

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
Is there any way to force random events to trigger? I'm on week 182 without seeing hide nor hair of the witch or the Valkrii.
There might be a way, but I also think it could break some things potentially.

edit:
Someone already recommended something haha.

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
Thank you for this detailed warning against playing a game I liked. If only I had read that earlier, I might not have "waisted" my time enjoying this hidden gem.
It makes me very happy that you enjoyed it! Thanks.

lorddarkam

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah, I actually been trying to find a way to make skill checks more like in fallout where they are optional, since a lot of people feel really bad failing them even if they are minor. I just haven't been able to find a way to do that.
i played the game long ago and stoped when a got game over no matter what i did and a didn't understand who to get soldiers it was like the game was made to kill you with 100% chance

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
I recall pitching nearly the same game to a programmer friend several years past, so along with the game I have to thank the developer for the trip down memory lane. I still have mockups and design documents I looked at and it gave me a smile.

So far, good work on the game as well! The beginning feels almost unfairly unforgiving, but I think it's meant to as a design choice for ascending to a throne you weren't ready for. The H-content is sexy with well written dialogue, though in this release it's still a bit sparse on the whole. Court events do feel almost unnecessarily random, and existing content isn't signposted very well to the player. In spite of these things, worth a look for sure.

I noticed if you click the throne on the daily screen you also get some sort of text that looks almost Arabic (Elvish?), not sure what that's about though.

You need history and linguistics for the Valkrii event, so make sure you're proficient there beforehand.
You can use console and "jump valkriicourt" for the Valkrii event or "jump court_witch" for the Witch event.
Good to know I wasn't the only one with this type of game in mind. I'm glad I could stir some good memories since I like to look at mine from time to time as well, although they're very dirty now haha.

Also thanks! But yeah. I don't want to make it super easy (Although I fail sometimes and make it super hard.) Except for the easy mode, that one I just fail at making it easier.

I do want to make court events a bit less random moving forward. I just need to look more tutorials first. Although I'm a bit scared of the balancing that it would require.

As for the throne... Hahaha those trix are for kids.

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
I like the concept of Reigns as an adult game. It was quite fun playing that aspect of the game. Thanks for adding the easy setting because I like my games as I like my coffee... easy (That makes no sense). The first time that I played the game, I forgot to interact with the mother and sister before the death of the father and as a result after playing for a few hours and maxing out all the skills, I realized that I couldn't interact with them at all. I liked the Queen's story the best. Although they are fun there is a problem with this kind of games and that is they are only worthy of investing time in if they are completed. I can't spend multiple hours only to be blue balled. Conclusion: Good concept and fun game but I will wait for completion before trying it again.
Thanks! Hopefully we can get to that point.

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
Great game, found myself hooked and the hours flew by.

In my first run, the Ursa event happened really early. I was barely getting my economy going and figuring out what to do, so I had no chance of passing the skill checks. I don't know if the event can fire twice or not. In my second game, it appeared after 90+ days (weeks?), when I'd already maxed a few stats and upgraded all my buildings.

In the initial stage, you've basically got to focus on economy buildings and pray that the RNG doesn't throw an 80-100 enemy army at you. After that you start snowballing.

It'd be nice if you could add hover-over text to your stats, explaining what each one does. Early on it's a bit of a guessing game to figure out what to train first.

Maybe you could also add something like paying for a fortune teller or mystic to "predict" what each option changes in events? So you could see that option 1 is -10 nobles and option 2 is -10 peasants.

Oh yeah, once I was an archer in the back of a really long battle against 70 enemies, very close fight, narrowly won. It gave me so much experience that my Strength and Archery stats were maxed out by it, lol. The next day though, they went back down to what they were before. Not gonna make it that easy for us, huh? :LOL:
Thanks! It's always a massive boost in inspiration to hear stuff like that.

I am thinking of a way to make the events less random, although I still need to mull over that a bit more.

The tooltips it's actually a great idea for characters like the witch. I just would need to see if I could do that because at the moment I can't think of a way to do it.

Hahaha that was actually a fuckup of mine. I mean it's kind of broken that you can max it out, but that wasn't me trying to avoid that. It's just that I changed how skills work and that broke the rewards from the skirmishes. Whoops.

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
Yeah, in the end I just label jumped to trigger them; shouldn't really be necessary though.

The Valkrii event is doubly tricky because it's only allowed to trigger if it's been a few days since your last skirmish. So even if the event pops up (sixtytwoe), there's a good chance it'll be shuffled back in the deck without you ever hearing of it.
I should remove that for that specific event.

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
Not sure if this is a bug but i dipped below 0 for 1 turn and now all the buildings outside my city are getting ruined cause im pretty sure they are set to defunded but of course they have no button to change that.
But there is a button. I should make it clearer, sorry.

Reactions: Ozzymandias

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
Like the concept a lot and i have been on it for a few hours but i feel like i did not trigger many events in main story. I triggered Valkrii and witch and not much else. Am i missing something? I am already at week 300 ish. help me out please
Did you talk to the characters that are at court already? If you don't talk to them by the moment the father dies they tap out.

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
i played the game long ago and stoped when a got game over no matter what i did and a didn't understand who to get soldiers it was like the game was made to kill you with 100% chance
Sorry for that. So it wasn't on this build, right?

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
KingmakerVN
I wanted to wait till I see all the girls that can be married to choose the one I like the best but have not figure out how to go about choosing the one.

1. Is the young girl in the yard that you can sleep with and do a little playing with is she MC sister or a ward of the fathers?
(Can't really tell so far, different last name and only in one convo does it say she maybe his sister.)
2. Is the step-mom one of the ones that can be married?
3. Need major info on all the girls before we meet them so we can choose the one to marry. (This info should have been known already by MC.)
(MC is the king's son with the older brother getting first pic MC should have known all the info for the girls already because normally he would need to marry a nobles daughter to.)
4. Need a way other than save-scumming when we send out MC to battle and he gets killed for a game over.
(For now I am save-scumming it.) (Or a very big warning that MC can be killed in battle for game over.)

Reactions: KingmakerVN

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
KingmakerVN
I wanted to wait till I see all the girls that can be married to choose the one I like the best but have not figure out how to go about choosing the one.

1. Is the young girl in the yard that you can sleep with and do a little playing with is she MC sister or a ward of the fathers?
(Can't really tell so far, different last name and only in one convo does it say she maybe his sister.)
2. Is the step-mom one of the ones that can be married?
3. Need major info on all the girls before we meet them so we can choose the one to marry. (This info should have been known already by MC.)
(MC is the king's son with the older brother getting first pic MC should have known all the info for the girls already because normally he would need to marry a nobles daughter to.)
4. Need a way other than save-scumming when we send out MC to battle and he gets killed for a game over.
(For now I am save-scumming it.) (Or a very big warning that MC can be killed in battle for game over.)
It depends if you activate that on the content menu or not.

I maybe should make it clearer. I just don't like info dumps so I try to avoid it.

Yeah. You need high endurance to survive those fights.

KingmakerVN

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2019
For the farms outside the city? If there is i really didnt see it so some more visibility would be nice. Great game otherwise and lovely to see a dev so in touch with the players.
The farms became unfunded!? No. Then I screwed up something there haha. Sorry.

And thank you. I do enjoy talking to people and hear their opinions.

3.40 star(s) 19 Votes