VN Ren'Py KLK Ryûko's Rumble dev thread

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
I worked on a signature for this dev thread.

Will make a more polished one for the official game thread

Reactions: Elesa12012

Oct 26, 2017
Now that's a signature I could get behind if I wasn't so adamant on staying completely random - doesn't scream character favoritism, just "I love the game". (y)

Keep it up, passionate projects turn into nice things over time.

Ryuumishou

Apr 19, 2021
Well done, the game is looking hella good. May I ask if any "group sex" scenes will be part of the game? I know that this game is aiming to be mainly a Yuri game, but ffm threesome scene would be a blessing.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
This week progress report is pretty close to the last one, but I got things to say, so here we go.

I finally managed to overcome the "writing block" I had with the first game over scene and I managed to complete half of it in 1 day. It should be done tomorrow or at worse Tuesday, so I won't have this unfinished scene in the back of my head anymore.

That's nice news, but keep in mind that what's "slowing down" my game's developement has always been art.
Considering I'm awful at drawing complex pictures and that I still want nice art in my game, I had no other choice than to outsource everything.

I have a fixed amount of money I spend on art each month, an amount that I can afford to spend, but which is not negligible.

This amount is currently insufficient for me to keep the pace with the three artists who help me make this game.

That's why you saw me "backtrack" from "I won't set up a Patreon" to "It might be nice to allow people to make donations." This could possibly speed-up the game developement.

Regarding sex content, here is a quick summary :

- This game is mostly about Yuri. It will include some (avoidable) straight scenes.
- Group scenes will be a thin, but to be honest, it would be more likely to be fff scenes than ffm. The first release of the game won't have group scenes.
- Sex scene will be mostly softer for the first releases, then more lezdom content will be added. (But id doesn't moean that the first release will have 0 lezdom content.)

To conclude, the sprite for Ira Gamagori is finished.
ira gamagori clothed standard.png

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
My apologies for the lack of updates during the last week, but I didn't have much to tell you.

But today it is the opposite, get ready for a lot of informations !

Currently around 1/3 of the script of the first chapter of my game has been fully added to the game. It doesn't mean that 1/3 of the work has been done, as art always comes last, but everything is going well.

I don't really want the V 0.1 of my game to be a simple proof of concept, I want it to display a lof of content already.

And by a lot of content, I mean :

- Around 1.5 hours of playtime.
- At least 20 unique CGS and probably around 15 different sex scenes.
- The beginning of the romance path of 3/6 LI.

As I remember you, LI are supposed to be allies that will help you during your quest. They're different from the opponent you will meet during the sexfight tournament, which also have sex scenes, but won't really be romanceable.

Mako Mankanshoku, and two original clubs captains will be the LI of this first chapter. The three other LI will be unveiled during chapter two. My idea is that club captains should have a design and a personality that is consistent with their club.

I'm giving you an example : Imagine that one of the LI is the captain of the academy exorcism's club, what could we expect from her ?

- A goth girl with a strong personality ?

- A gloomy girl that's afraid of everything ?

- A complete psycho ?

That's some possibilities.

I will also probably not go too deep with club captain design and outfits. Because in KLK sometimes, it's a bit too much.

As an example, I think Omiko Hakodate, Captain of the tennis club, has a fine design :
RqhAr2QPMDeyaYxFdles84mychBijSF1XfrPHrjjduE.jpg

but on the other hand, Fuguhara Aizenbou, captain of the Ping Pong Club, is kind of weird to me :

Ping_pong_clubt.jpg

I should be able to reveal you the design of the first two club captains at the end of the next month. For now, only the last club captain is not really defined so I would like to have your opinion on that. Which school club and character personnality would you like to see ingame ? I'm curious to see your answer.

Sukuyo Mankanshoku now has her own sprite :
sukuyo mankanshoku clothed standard.png

To conclude this post, a sneak peek showing you how sexfighting could be difficult for Ryûko : Teaser Scissoring.png

This CG is done, the next one is being worked on.

Oct 26, 2017
That last teaser has a first person perspective vibe (it might just be the cropping, but hey, it works) that I certainly enjoy. Wouldn't mind "fighting" Ryuuko and "helping" her improve her "performance". ;)

Keep it up Gwedelino and don't rush things! Always good to see progress reports on your project every now and then, and you should only release a public version once you are confident it has significant playable content, which doesn't just mean CGs and dialogue (Ren'py >>> RPG Maker on the fact it doesn't come with a boatload of stock assets, with MV and MZ automating that during deployment to make it worse) - getting an interested player to actually have fun and enjoy the story and mechanics is a priority, I'd say.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
That last teaser has a first person perspective vibe (it might just be the cropping, but hey, it works) that I certainly enjoy. Wouldn't mind "fighting" Ryuuko and "helping" her improve her "performance". ;)

Keep it up Gwedelino and don't rush things! Always good to see progress reports on your project every now and then, and you should only release a public version once you are confident it has significant playable content, which doesn't just mean CGs and dialogue (Ren'py >>> RPG Maker on the fact it doesn't come with a boatload of stock assets, with MV and MZ automating that during deployment to make it worse) - getting an interested player to actually have fun and enjoy the story and mechanics is a priority, I'd say.
Yes of course, it will just need quite a long time before the release. Even with everything going wel, there is still so much to do.

I will probably try to release an incomplete version of the game at the beginning of the next year, but it will be done in private, to a very limited number of people, in order to get some opinions about the game and especially the "plot".

Because even if having a proofreader help me to have a "clean" script, it doesn't mean that the story itself doesn't need some adjustments.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
I think the biggest problem I have currently is that I spend a lot of time doing and re-doing the script of my game.
I'm not talking about the whole plot, but about writing itself. I think I spend too much time trying to polish each sentence.

A lot of other developers have advised me not to try to delivers a very complete first release as going for an earlier release could help me get reviews and avoid me not to go straight into a wall if I made some mistakes.

This is a possibility that I am taking into consideration, since releasing a game that has as much content as a stated before :

- Around 1.5 hours of playtime.
- At least 20 unique CGS and probably around 15 different sex scenes.
- The beginning of the romance path of 3/6 LI.

Would probably lead me to at best a June to August 2023 first release. While going for something lighter would probably lead me to a February 2023 first release.

Now, talking about the fun part of the game, I must tell you how much I like using a wrestling/sexfight themed in a lezdom game. It brings so much creativity regarding all the weird pose you can give to the characters.

10.png

On this (cropped) work on progress, you can see how Ryûko has probably seen too much shit for today.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
The past week have been a very productive one. I have a lot of things to say.

At first I managed to fully put into my game what could be :

- The full V0.1 if I go for an early release.
- Half of it if I go for a bigger one.

I still didn't make my mind about which kinf of release I'm aiming for.

That's around 3300 lines of code.

I'm also starting to have enough graphics assets to be able to make some decent preview of my game, this is really satisfying.

My dilemma regarding music is solved as I have now a music composer that's helping me adding original musics into my game. That's another spending I have to add to the pile, but it was really necessary.

What's a bit frustrating is that all those assets are what's slowing down the game development. I can't put enough funds into the game to have everybody working on it at the same time, and I have to prioritize.

I will also have some incoming big life expenses that will probably slow down more this very process at least until January. I can also add that the TV I used as a screen for my PC didn't go through last week, so that's another unplanned expense added to the list.

I could ignore it, but that would break my number 1 rule regarding this project which is : only spend money that won't be required for daily expenses, savings and emergency situations.

I reworked the UI of the main menu of my game. I still need a some work on it before showing you a preview.

I also started to work on a gallery / scene replay system. The latter will probably be time consuming, but for now, it's going well.

The visual of the very first club captain is being worked on. I will wait to have the two club captain fully finished before showing them to you. It should be complete in around 2 weeks.

Another member of the Mankanshoku family is added to the game : Matarô Mankanshoku
mataro mankanshoku clothed surprised.png

Yeah, and I prefers to say that my game won't have any shota content. I need some background characters to build up my story.

Last edited:

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
It's already the end of the week. Time is flying.

I don't have much to show regarding spicy teasers, it will have to wait a bit.
A lot of backgrounds are being worked on. That's a nice thing it was not my priority until recently.

It's also taking a lot of time to get the final design of the first two club captains. The first one will be fully finished next week, but the second one will need more time since she kind of have a complex design.

I took advantage of the fact that I was ahead in my script to work on many other small things, like reworking the textbox :

1.png

Or even adding a mandatory disclaimer on launch :

2.png

I need an official logo now and also need to complete the main menu screen.

I also found a way to give more interactivity to my game while keeping meaningfull choices, which was something I was rather worried about until now.

You will have to wait mid october to see more spicy things.

Oct 26, 2017
Just my two cents here but...

If that hasn't already been stated, try not to go all out on your very first release. That way, you can work around it and add things as planned little by little rather than be completely disappointed on day one if you end up with either something you don't like or something that takes aeons to thoroughly test for bugs, mistakes and continuity fuckups (the latter being mostly a VN thing on adult communities). Small, cautious steps are better - so you can stop before you hit that pitfall.

Once you do decide to release, beware of ratings and reviews as well, especially on F95. Unless they actually are objective, relevant and constructive (if every non-review was deleted, there would be like 5% of them left and I'm being generous) they should be completely disregarded. I'd also recommend turning off things that affect your focus and sanity, and if you can help it, keep the hell away from socials for anything that involves your game project. There are things like itch that were made exactly for that, and even itch tends to get polluted.

On feature creep: gallery/scene recollection is an important part for a VN but don't worry too much about it. As far as I can tell, Ren'py already processes by default which CGs and scenes have been seen and passes it all to persistent data, so it's only a matter of coming up with a comfortable GUI. It is also directly accessible from the console (see Ren'py docs) even if you did disable developer mode as it can be forced back in (and takes about five seconds of creating a file that gets passed to Ren'py whenever the game attempts to reset the global variable, or editing such files).

Thanks for your progress reports as usual and keep it up. Best of luck :)

Last edited:

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Just my two cents here but...

If that hasn't already been stated, try not to go all out on your very first release. That way, you can work around it and add things as planned little by little rather than be completely disappointed on day one if you end up with either something you don't like or something that takes aeons to thoroughly test for bugs, mistakes and continuity fuckups (the latter being mostly a VN thing on adult communities). Small, cautious steps are better - so you can stop before you hit that pitfall.

Once you do decide to release, beware of ratings and reviews as well, especially on F95. Unless they actually are objective, relevant and constructive (if every non-review was deleted, there would be like 5% of them left and I'm being generous) they should be completely disregarded. I'd also recommend turning off things that affect your focus and sanity, and if you can help it, keep the hell away from socials for anything that involves your game project. There are things like itch that were made exactly for that, and even itch tends to get polluted.

On feature creep: gallery/scene recollection is an important part for a VN but don't worry too much about it. As far as I can tell, Ren'py already processes by default which CGs and scenes have been seen and passes it all to persistent data, so it's only a matter of coming up with a comfortable GUI. It is also directly accessible from the console (see Ren'py docs) even if you did disable developer mode as it can be forced back in (and takes about five seconds of creating a file that gets passed to Ren'py whenever the game attempts to reset the global variable, or editing such files).

Thanks for your progress reports as usual and keep it up. Best of luck :)
Yeah, my first idea of doing a very big first release wasn't optimal. I think the best thing would be to release something that's long enough to set up the main story and give a preview of what the game will be without going too deep.

Getting a clean release is my main goal, which mean at least being able to release something devoid of any placeholder asset.

I already know that some people will dislike the game anyway. Releasing a mostly yuri game will be heavily critisized, I have no doubt about that. I can already see the comments of people being angry that my game doesn't involve dicks as that's something you always see on yuri game's threads.

Regarding adding a gallery, that won't be difficult to add one for the first release.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Gigalomaniac

kanamefan2010

Jun 16, 2019
i really look forward to this game, this is my favorite fetish so I cannot wait to play. keep up the amazing work!

kintarodev

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2022
I think this thread is worth watching and following, just for the dedicatin OP puts in updates.

I really think Kill la Kill is a masterpiece of Animtion, and Satsuki is best girl hands down; but...

Why a fan game borrwing an existing IP?

Why not just getting inspiration about its art direction and coming up with original characters?

I will never get tired of saying that it's always better to put a bit more of hard work and owning 100% of a work than exposing yourself to be reclaimed at any time, specially if the product reaches certain quality and you think of monetizing it eventually.

In any case, good luck and best wishes!

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
I think this thread is worth watching and following, just for the dedicatin OP puts in updates.

I really think Kill la Kill is a masterpiece of Animtion, and Satsuki is best girl hands down; but...

Why a fan game borrwing an existing IP?

Why not just getting inspiration about its art direction and coming up with original characters?

I will never get tired of saying that it's always better to put a bit more of hard work and owning 100% of a work than exposing yourself to be reclaimed at any time, specially if the product reaches certain quality and you think of monetizing it eventually.

In any case, good luck and best wishes!
To be honest, I mostly does this project for myself and for the challenge that it is.

Like a lot of players here, I was always annoyed to see that few games fit my tastes.
So I decided to make my own game.

I know that there is a risk that my project will be taken down, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.
I'm mostly hoping that rights holders won't be too active in blocking this project. If this happens, it will be sad, but it won't suppress the challenge itself as I could still enjoy this project for myself.

Taking an already existing IP + adding my very own characters is for me the best compromise as I both wanted to see KLK characters in a yuri sexfight themed game while bringing my own creativity. This also allows me to start on fairly solid existing bases. I think that it wouldn't be the same if I only used original characters.

Now, back to the news.

When you're doing weekly reviews, it's sometimes hard to bring something new to the table.

I spent time polishing some dialogues and improving some scenes lately.

The first club captain now have an official fully set design. I'm currently waiting the 2nd one to be complete before posting an official reveal.

However, here is a little leak :
Blackhide.png

Things are going physical with her.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but since Kintarodev brang one of the issue of my project to the table, there is another one I have to talk about which is incest.

Since my game is using Ryûko as a protagonist and Satsuki as an antagonist, I'm 100% sure everyone will be expecting to see some sister on sister action, and to be honest, I have no problem with that myself.

The question being : how to deal with that considering this can fall into the "problematic content" category ?

Because there is no "landlady" trick here as Satsuki and Ryûko are sisters.

If there are incest scenes, then it would be only at the end of the game. Should I hide it until reaching the end of the game ?

That's not optimal.