Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
View attachment 873344

You need to , bro. Period sources reckon that was good enough to stop swords so yeah. (No making fun of the lad being a poorfag knight yo.)

Ain't nobody in their right minds wearing helmets out of combat if they don't have a good reason to (and surprisingly many people were willing to skip them on the battlefield too). Those things weren't and still aren't particularly comfortable.
Well it all depends on the age does it not what age is this set in plus you would wear a helmet do you know how easy it would be to die without a helmet on. Seems that armour was used in 1509.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
View attachment 873344

You need to , bro. Period sources reckon that was good enough to stop swords so yeah. (No making fun of the lad being a poorfag knight yo.)

Ain't nobody in their right minds wearing helmets out of combat if they don't have a good reason to (and surprisingly many people were willing to skip them on the battlefield too). Those things weren't and still aren't particularly comfortable.
Looks more like a Gambeson to me. Doesn't matter tho, both were very effective as armor.

Last edited:

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
Well it all depends on the age does it not what age is this set in plus you would wear a helmet do you know how easy it would be to die without a helmet on. Seems that armour was used in 1509.
Pseudo-Medieval fantasy settings are notoriously loose about technological context. However this kind of armour was about as old as solid plate in general, seeing as how it was often made of damaged or just obsolete cuirasses (waste not want not right?), and were independently developed in Asia and used for a VERY long time.

You'd think that helmets were a no-brainer (ahem) but surprisingly many people skipped on them even in full battlefield harness. There's something to be said of unobstructed senses and breathing after all (which is also why open helmet designs were universally more popular than full-coverage ones).

OUT of battle basically nobody but guards on active duty wore the damn things because they're heavy and uncomfortable at the best of times.

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
Pseudo-Medieval fantasy settings are notoriously loose about technological context. However this kind of armour was about as old as solid plate in general, seeing as how it was often made of damaged or just obsolete cuirasses (waste not want not right?), and were independently developed in Asia and used for a VERY long time.

You'd think that helmets were a no-brainer (ahem) but surprisingly many people skipped on them even in full battlefield harness. There's something to be said of unobstructed senses and breathing after all (which is also why open helmet designs were universally more popular than full-coverage ones).

OUT of battle basically nobody but guards on active duty wore the damn things because they're heavy and uncomfortable at the best of times.
Well i like living so i would wear a helmet. lol

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
Well you'd be considered a total fucking weirdo then. Because even on the battlefield people liked to put the damn things aside (or at least open the visor in the more complete models) whenever it looked like it wasn't immediately needed, they were just that uncomfortable - which did result in no small number of facial injuries from stray projectiles from afar but them's the breaks.

Reactions: Nayvah

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
Well you'd be considered a total fucking weirdo then. Because even on the battlefield people liked to put the damn things aside (or at least open the visor in the more complete models) whenever it looked like it wasn't immediately needed, they were just that uncomfortable - which did result in no small number of facial injuries from stray projectiles from afar but them's the breaks.
Have you ever worn a helm cause i have and they are not that bad.

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
No i am just trying to tell you that wearing them is not as bad as you are trying to make it out to be.
And I'm telling you nobody in their right minds would do it day in day out regardless. Nobody wears a fucking bike helmet when not riding either, and those are about as light and well-ventilated as such things now can be.

The point is your original complaint was nonsense.

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
And I'm telling you nobody in their right minds would do it day in day out regardless. Nobody wears a fucking bike helmet when not riding either, and those are about as light and well-ventilated as such things now can be.

The point is your original complaint was nonsense.
What that the armour looks ugly and that he does not wear a helmet into battle i think my complaint is fine you just wanted to start a fight.

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
What that the armour looks ugly and that he does not wear a helmet into battle i think my complaint is fine you just wanted to start a fight.
Except that's not what you were complaining about:
The MC does not really look like a knight with that armour. Cause that armour looks like it wont protect anything plus were the hell is his helmet.
Funfact: warriors pretty commonly didn't don helmets into "civilian" fights - body armour (incl. sometimes quite elaborate concealed jobs) was a very different story. That's for the simple enough reason most of the hazards that made head protection so desirable in set-piece mass combat simply weren't present in "freeform" small-scale fights and keeping your noggin out of the way of ironmongery was altogether easier when you weren't stuck inside a close-order formation with no room to maneuver.

For much of the same reasons unhindered situational awareness and breathing tended to be good ideas.

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
Except that's not what you were complaining about:

Funfact: warriors pretty commonly didn't don helmets into "civilian" fights - body armour (incl. sometimes quite elaborate concealed jobs) was a very different story. That's for the simple enough reason most of the hazards that made head protection so desirable in set-piece mass combat simply weren't present in "freeform" small-scale fights and keeping your noggin out of the way of ironmongery was altogether easier when you weren't stuck inside a close-order formation with no room to maneuver.

For much of the same reasons unhindered situational awareness and breathing tended to be good ideas.
That was all i was complaining about that i did not like the look of the Armour and i wanted him to wear a helm ok we are done now.

korbit

Nov 23, 2017
That was all i was complaining about that i did not like the look of the Armour and i wanted him to wear a helm ok we are done now.
Have you thought that the main character is not a knight yet? He is a hunter.

Remember the game "The Witcher", and the series too. It would look very strange if the Witcher was wearing a helmet.

3.90 star(s) 98 Votes