ThrowSam

Oct 24, 2021
Guess those people just don't have anything better to do. ;)
The fact is no matter Whether the Dev said it's Dead or Not Dead,
Only thing matters is if there's a game or a 'real' update comes out,
not some 'trust me bro' bullshit :KEK:
yeah the "trust me bro" with nothing to show is just not trust worthy, Honestly I feel like the game could of had so much more content and be less of a stress if there wasn't so much filler text, there are so many things added in that add absolutely nothing to the story other than making me have to read more, some things could be said in a sentence or 2 instead of 2 whole paragraphs, I'm not trynna throw shade I'm just saying it would be a lot less stressful if there was just less filler, its like a student that has to type a 800 word essay so they just start adding shit to make it longer

Daskolin

Sep 28, 2017
1. Dev needs to live

2. Bedabots are quite literally an attempt at visual game, since Kobold adventure is not for everyone.
(And patreons want it to stay a text game. That what we wanted, literally an interactive story book)

3. Patreons knew about bedabots thing
(that`s why there was no cancellation)

404NoNamegr

Dec 5, 2019
I'm honestly surprised how many people are still talking about this, also on the post showing the creator saying its not dead is just not believable, its been soo long without any kind of update to the game even tiny ones there has been nothing, it is sadly dead as hell
The game was getting a lot of traction in 4chans /v/ board but the creator didn't capitalize it by releasing frequent updates, he just commented frequently there that his game didn't make any money (wrong he was making 1k+ a month at the time which for one person is quite enough). Honestly I think it was a grift and he made his money or he just doesn't know how to handle the process of making a game.

Reactions: D4n0w4r

DudePersonA

Aug 24, 2018
The game was getting a lot of traction in 4chans /v/ board but the creator didn't capitalize it by releasing frequent updates, he just commented frequently there that his game didn't make any money (wrong he was making 1k+ a month at the time which for one person is quite enough). Honestly I think it was a grift and he made his money or he just doesn't know how to handle the process of making a game.
Setting aside everything else... I mean I guess it depends where you live but $1000+ a month is not enough for one person in most areas of the US. That's 1k before too (more creators should use anyway). If you work a W2 (as in an employee) job at $15/hr at 40 hours per week, you're making $2400 a month, before taxes, social security, etc. I mean the new federal minimum wage is $10.50/hr so at 40 hours per week it's $1680 before taxes, so if you're solely relying on that $1000+ a month you're working below federal minimum wage.

And on top of that, working on patreon donations means you're self-employed, so you're paying even more taxes (On the flip side if you're creative with writing off expenses you can reduce your tax burden but in my experience as working as an online contractor before the IRS changed the rules on who an employee is... you have to really dig for finding enough expenses except for maybe the first year if you buy new, dedicated equipment).

Now if you're saying $1000+ a month is enough as a part time thing? Maybe. It depends on their employment situation.

This is all to say: It's fine to be very suspicious of creators on here racking up large Patreon amounts, and stringing donators along with longer and longer update cycles and false promises (or fake stories about car crashes that didn't happen... looking at you Waifu Academy), but if a creator is not making at least minimum wage (after Patreon's cut and self-employment taxes) for their area working on it full time, then they're not really making it. Some people can make it work because they're stay-at-home spouses or people living in their parents basement, but they could also be flipping burgers for more money.

I suppose there's also considering creators outside the US, but that's a whole 'nother level of complexity with considering what a living wage is.

Reactions: large_homosexual

404NoNamegr

Dec 5, 2019
Setting aside everything else... I mean I guess it depends where you live but $1000+ a month is not enough for one person in most areas of the US. That's 1k before too (more creators should use anyway). If you work a W2 (as in an employee) job at $15/hr at 40 hours per week, you're making $2400 a month, before taxes, social security, etc. I mean the new federal minimum wage is $10.50/hr so at 40 hours per week it's $1680 before taxes, so if you're solely relying on that $1000+ a month you're working below federal minimum wage.

And on top of that, working on patreon donations means you're self-employed, so you're paying even more taxes (On the flip side if you're creative with writing off expenses you can reduce your tax burden but in my experience as working as an online contractor before the IRS changed the rules on who an employee is... you have to really dig for finding enough expenses except for maybe the first year if you buy new, dedicated equipment).

Now if you're saying $1000+ a month is enough as a part time thing? Maybe. It depends on their employment situation.

This is all to say: It's fine to be very suspicious of creators on here racking up large Patreon amounts, and stringing donators along with longer and longer update cycles and false promises (or fake stories about car crashes that didn't happen... looking at you Waifu Academy), but if a creator is not making at least minimum wage (after Patreon's cut and self-employment taxes) for their area working on it full time, then they're not really making it. Some people can make it work because they're stay-at-home spouses or people living in their parents basement, but they could also be flipping burgers for more money.

I suppose there's also considering creators outside the US, but that's a whole 'nother level of complexity with considering what a living wage is.
If we are to believe the creator, he owns a shop so it's second income for him. If he makes money or not from the shop idk never saw him declare his income there.

nackedsnake

Engaged Member
Jan 29, 2019
I hate when these creators try to pass their burden of living to their audiences,
And emotional blackmail / guilt trip their audiences .
Heck, it's your job, figure it out yourself. We all have to earn our living.

It's also funny so many people fixated on the income of the creators, like it has anything to do with them.
You don't know them, you don't know what their situation is.
And Come on, you don't really care. You are only here for the contents.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
I hate when these creators try to pass their burden of living to their audiences,
And emotional blackmail / guilt trip their audiences .
Heck, it's your job, figure it out yourself. We all have to earn our living.

It's also funny so many people fixated on the income of the creators, like it has anything to do with them.
You don't know them, you don't know what their situation is.
And Come on, you don't really care. You are only here for the contents.
Agreed. To add to the second point, I feel like the people on this forum don't understand the value of labor. Just to throw a figure out there, 7 hours a week for $15/hr, for 4 weeks is $420 month before taxes. $15/hr as a sorta mid-point between minimum wage and average wages, and 7 hours to simulate a full work day. Even if we assume that's something the creator is happy to work with, 28 work hours a month isn't a whole lot of progress for a newbie dev that's spending at least half those hours trying to figure out how to get the game to run smoothly on their chosen engine. Every time they hit a dead end and have to recode everything to better optimize the engine, people are quick to accuse the dev of milking. But if they don't do it, the game eventually runs badly enough that it's practically unplayable (not to mention the extra work hours needed to bandaid the issues each time), so it's a lose-lose situation.

The irony is that most of the people complaining wouldn't want to work extra hours to support the dev, but all the same expects the dev to slave away for substandard wages. If the devs actually worked the amount of hours their monthly earnings were worth (which Patreon takes a cut of), game development wouldn't move past the planning stage.

4.30 star(s) 15 Votes