ilmncsm

Apr 10, 2018
The abandoned tag gets added to threads if it's been 18 months since an update was posted. Earlier if the dev goes completely radio silent and disapears. So the tag isn't actually an indicator one way or the other, you have to do your own research if you see the tag.

LS47

Oct 5, 2021
I hope that someone takes on the project and continues this idea, I think it would suck for it to be left and forgotten.
Or rather someone who makes another game inspired by that kind of setting. It's really interesting and the adult game scene really needs more people willing to take risks with their illustrations and worldbuilding like this, even if it's just a text-based game in the end.

Nov 16, 2021
Or rather someone who makes another game inspired by that kind of setting. It's really interesting and the adult game scene really needs more people willing to take risks with their illustrations and worldbuilding like this, even if it's just a text-based game in the end.
That could be good too since then they could add to the game and do new things that were not in the original's concept.

Reactions: LS47
Jan 28, 2020
He finally posted a status update on the game.
1.png
2.png
TL;DR: He says the game isn't going to be abandoned, but issues need addressing. He's drained of funds and his Patreon, even at its peak, wasn't sustainable. Writing commissions kept him afloat, but it ran the risk of affecting the quality of writing for the game and vice versa, since writing for passion vs writing for money are two different things. Getting back into a day-job would also drain his creativity. In the meantime, he began work on Bedabots, which he hopes will have a playable demo in around November and eventually release a kickstarter. If the game is a commercial success, thus sustaining him and the other artist working on it, then he can continue working on Kobold Adventure. He'll likely be working on Bedabots indefinitely until it's completely done.

He admits that it's a massive risk and that he's putting all of his eggs in one basket with what little funds he has left, but he feels like he doesn't have a chance with other avenues.

nackedsnake

Engaged Member
Jan 29, 2019
View attachment 2909639
View attachment 2909640
TL;DR: He says the game isn't going to be abandoned, but issues need addressing. He's drained of funds and his Patreon, even at its peak, wasn't sustainable. Writing commissions kept him afloat, but it ran the risk of affecting the quality of writing for the game and vice versa, since writing for passion vs writing for money are two different things. Getting back into a day-job would also drain his creativity. In the meantime, he began work on Bedabots, which he hopes will have a playable demo in around November and eventually release a kickstarter. If the game is a commercial success, thus sustaining him and the other artist working on it, then he can continue working on Kobold Adventure. He'll likely be working on Bedabots indefinitely until it's completely done.

He admits that it's a massive risk and that he's putting all of his eggs in one basket with what little funds he has left, but he feels like he doesn't have a chance with other avenues.
So it's not a burn out, nor does he move into a new chapter of his life. He still wish to continue this pursuit?
Why did he stopped then? "Issues need addressing" really doesn't mean anything.
  • He has a vision for Kobold Adventure, but actually has no idea how to keep this project alive?
  • He actually has no idea how to proceed the project? (No direction, lack technology, etc.)
  • He knows how, but failed terribly at keepin' this project "Financially Viable"?
Not sure if it's relevant, But I saw a great post from a dev about how to create a "commercial success"
Dev "hcdev" of "The Symbiant" talking about their project.
Also this from earlier

If he just want to have a "Monthly subscribe crowd-funding model", TBH, this itself is not "sustainable".

I hope he's not writing this purely as a manipulating tool to gain more supporter money...

Also, what's Bedabots?

Reactions: Adachithepersona4

starvoyager

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2017
If everything he says in this post is completely truthful, than I understand his motives and it boosts my hope in the game by a bit, though he's admitting it'd be AT LEAST a full year before we see any tangible updates to KA.
Either way, i graduated HS in 2019 and i remember playing kobold adventure in sophomore year, so i've grown very attached to the game and just want to see every current path be fully fleshed out and the game actually finished. I see a lot of finished games on f95, but pretty much none of the games that i've been following since like 2018 have been finished, and hopefully this will be one of the first

Aenys_Faelin

May 13, 2018
View attachment 2909639
View attachment 2909640

he was working full time? jesus fucking christ

LS47

Oct 5, 2021
Ah shit. I hope it works out well for him. Kobold Adventure was the first game in a long time to make me genuinely feel empathy for the MC against all the hardships he faced in the game. I don't know about that Bedabots game, but I think I'll consider pledging in the end anyway. I'd probably have done it sooner if I knew his situation was that bad.

Reactions: JustAl
Dec 11, 2019
Im sorry but the "have been working full time from 2017 to 2022" sounds like complete bs because if that was the case we would at the very least already have 3.0 shipped.
Remember the fact the man sold shirts and merchandise for his game. Idk I think this dude was straight up just trying to milk everything this "project" was for it's worth. He didn't give a fuck about it and now he has the audacity to just say shit like this to peoples face.

Reactions: ThatFurryYouKnow

PrimeUniverse

Aug 22, 2019
Remember the fact the man sold shirts and merchandise for his game. Idk I think this dude was straight up just trying to milk everything this "project" was for it's worth. He didn't give a fuck about it and now he has the audacity to just say shit like this to peoples face.
You say this like he should have been working on it for free just because. To note he has, even before the long hiatus, expressed these issues, but in a more this is a thing manner rather than my life is fucked, which, if what he said is true, might not be to far from incorrect. If you look/looked at his page for commissions, the guidelines generally also match the same general tones. I also wouldn't define going out of his way for specifically commissioned art as 'not giving a fuck.' That shits expensive.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Damn. From what I've seen, the strategy of supporting a failing project by starting another one seldom works out.
In fact, it's usually a sign that the end is near...
Or infinite money glitch like a dev whos name rhymes with schmeromancer

DDelvin

Feb 22, 2019
View attachment 2909639
View attachment 2909640

If he'd could have been bothered to write just a 1/30th of that in his Patreon feed maybe I wouldn't have dropped my backing, might even have bumped it, but 18 months of complete silence just ain't good enough.

4.30 star(s) 15 Votes