MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I prefer to have Chris only with Christine instead of giving him 3 girls, which will increase the workload too much for my taste but I guess its not something I will know until we get there.
Holly is the girl that presents
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yeah, I would rather that Drifty either make an entirely new girl for Chris (the pitfall being all the people who will immediately whine about how now they want the MC to be with her) or have him get back together with Christine. In those two instances Chris ends up with 1 character who isn't a current love interest. I don't want it to be that Chris can end up with Robin because then those who like Robin are going to not want Chris near her (or whoever). And then Chris doesn't get to have a relationship with anyone.

Deleted member 15555

Harem Lover
Donor
Apr 25, 2017
Yeah, I would rather that Drifty either make an entirely new girl for Chris (the pitfall being all the people who will immediately whine about how now they want the MC to be with her) or have him get back together with Christine. In those two instances Chris ends up with 1 character who isn't a current love interest. I don't want it to be that Chris can end up with Robin because then those who like Robin are going to not want Chris near her (or whoever). And then Chris doesn't get to have a relationship with anyone.
I will never give him any of the Li's so he ends alone, If it was a new girl or Christine (that for me is the best option) then I will be happy for Chris, though the most that worries me is the time he will take off to write, render, code all 3 girls for Chris after all Chris is not the mc or protagonist in this game, giving him that many Li's is not something I like but is ultimately Drifty decision.
I'm biased though, I always want 99% of the renders to be of mc and the girls :ROFLMAO:

Malicre

Oct 23, 2018
Well the thing is, I like Linda, but she is not that attractive to me.
That's kinda the way i feel about Kira. I adore everything about Kira outside of her looks, shes not ugly but shes the worst looking of the bunch.

Kira/Holly are my 2 favorite girls in LoF.

Reactions: Alfius

Battleland

Nov 24, 2019
I've only played the first 2 chapters and you can really feel the Dr.Pinkcake influence. Highest praise to Drifty games, hopefully they keep up the great work!

DriftyGames

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2020
I've only played the first 2 chapters and you can really feel the Dr.Pinkcake influence. Highest praise to Drifty games, hopefully they keep up the great work!
If course it's a high praise, being compared to one of the most known and respected writers out there. I still feel compelled to say that my story was written a long time before I even knew who he was. Though I will always give him credit for showing me that Renpy was a good platform to release my own story on, but that praise also goes out to the community that embraced his product.

Every self respecting writer will always want others to compare to them, not being compared to others. And I hope that you don't misinterpret this by me hoping I can crawl out of that enormous shadow he casts somewhere down the line.

And welcome btw. Enjoy the story. :)

Cheers

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Drifty,
You’re a better writer telling a better story than DPC. I often get fragged on the BaDIK forum for pointing out the unoriginal story (very over done college trope). Yours is a fresh story, with great characters.
Where there is a similarity is the great wingman writing. DPC does that well. Chris is a great character.

Otherwise your writing and your story is head and shoulders above most of the competition.
Take care

Reactions: CoffeeDrinker

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Drifty,
You’re a better writer telling a better story than DPC. I often get fragged on the BaDIK forum for pointing out the unoriginal story (very over done college trope). Yours is a fresh story, with great characters.
Where there is a similarity is the great wingman writing. DPC does that well. Chris is a great character.

Otherwise your writing and your story is head and shoulders above most of the competition.
Take care
Not to slag Drifty, or imply that DPC is a fabulous writer, but the fact that LoF will only be 8 chapters is making the story rushed and will cause the character development to suffer. At this point we have 2 and 2/3 chapters left and we know next to nothing about Holly, Christine/or new girl for Chris, Linda's mystery, Steph's new job, etc. I hope that the entirety of chapter 5 isn't a ton of secret dropping by everyone. Add in the improbable "rich superstar jets new guy to her house along with all his new friends" and I am not going to declare this a masterpiece of writing. Also not going to say that DPC is an amazing writer, however he has proven that he can tell a compelling (and polarizing) story and, most importantly, finish a game. Drifty has done a good job with LoF but we need to see how he finishes it, hopefully he can end a story better than Stephen King usually does.

I agree the college setting is incredibly overused but if people didn't care about the overall story then they wouldn't post so much about it. You wouldn't be over there posting so much about it (unless you're just trolling). I hope that Drifty is able to finish this story in a believable and compelling manner. I will keep the faith and hope for a great resolution.

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Not to slag Drifty, or imply that DPC is a fabulous writer, but the fact that LoF will only be 8 chapters is making the story rushed and will cause the character development to suffer. At this point we have 2 and 2/3 chapters left and we know next to nothing about Holly, Christine/or new girl for Chris, Linda's mystery, Steph's new job, etc. I hope that the entirety of chapter 5 isn't a ton of secret dropping by everyone. Add in the improbable "rich superstar jets new guy to her house along with all his new friends" and I am not going to declare this a masterpiece of writing. Also not going to say that DPC is an amazing writer, however he has proven that he can tell a compelling (and polarizing) story and, most importantly, finish a game. Drifty has done a good job with LoF but we need to see how he finishes it, hopefully he can end a story better than Stephen King usually does.

I agree the college setting is incredibly overused but if people didn't care about the overall story then they wouldn't post so much about it. You wouldn't be over there posting so much about it (unless you're just trolling). I hope that Drifty is able to finish this story in a believable and compelling manner. I will keep the faith and hope for a great resolution.
You raise valid points.
I think that Holly was stated to be an end game reveal if that is the choice. Chris definitely needs some resolution on his own relationship status.
Honestly all of these stories require a certain amount of suspense from reality, so Lexi flying the crew to her place is not a concern I have.

I agree and think a lot has to be decided fairly soon in order to resolve in 8 chapters. The pacing of this will indeed influence final opinions.

Yes DPC has a huge following and can put out a completed story (one so far) Yes it is a polarized community of followers for many reasons. Drifty clearly has a vision, for many a much needed break from college walking penis, and extremely likable characters. DPC does wingmen awesomely and so does Drifty. Drifty goes further though, the MC of his story is genuinely likable. The bunny slipper incident was what sealed the deal for me. Completely!DPC has Never accomplished that in my opinion.

I don’t troll over there, however much my latest fan and my single infraction may indicate. I do share my opinions though!
Peace

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
LoF will only be 8 chapters is making the story rushed and will cause the character development to suffer. At this point we have 2 and 2/3 chapters left and we know next to nothing about Holly, Christine/or new girl for Chris, Linda's mystery, Steph's new job, etc.
How do you figure that? Right now we have 3 full chapters plus 1/3 of chapter 4. Based on the 8 chapter length as planned by Drifty, we are not even half way, and have 4 and 2/3 chapters left.

Also, if I recall correctly, Drifty has said the time period in the story is not supposed to be a long one, but ends at the end of the vacation. So there really isn't much story-time to develop every character in depth.

DriftyGames

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2020

I don't think I've ever hinted towards that LoF will be an Lord of the Rings sized epic adventure. And of course I'm exaggerating now, but this is a story about a group of people and what they experienced one summer.

My hope for LoF is that I can put out a story which you will enjoy reading. That the characters are likeable and that you get a feeling you can connect with them as they go through their own journeys through it. It's also the first writing I've put out there at all, so I have no idea of where I stand against those who are really good at this, and it is also my period of learning the ropes, daz studio and getting the experience (and hardware) needed for my next story.

And by me already now mentioning my next story, I don't mean to imply that I am hurrying this at all. I care too much about my own story to push a completed tag too early. Also, on the account of being short, let me remind you that we're not even half way in yet, and so far I'm at over 8,000 renders and 15,000 animated frames. I'm not rushing this, I can promise you. I'd say I'm probably putting in more work than needed, but I am not going to add several thousand lines of text just for prolongment, when fewer does the exact same job. I will probably always go by a more visual style of storytelling, than an in depth text adventure.

And about King. I agree, he knows how to create awesome stories, and extremely good characters. But there is no spider at the end of LoF. :)

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
I don't see the point of comparing LoF with BaDIK, very different games with very few in common. LoF is a good first project so far, if anything compare it with DPC first game Acting Lessons, but it would be pointless anyway.

Reactions: ename144 and Arigon

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
I don't see the point of comparing LoF with BaDIK, very different games with very few in common. LoF is a good first project so far, if anything compare it with DPC first game Acting Lessons, but it would be pointless anyway.
I absolutely agree. AL would not compare well at all except for Liam's writing. I think that with one poster saying it was inspired by BaDIK, Drifty had to address that. I personally do not think it is inspired by BaDIK at all. I do think DPC and Drifty both write wingmen most excellently (channeling my inner Bill and Ted). Beyond that I believe Drifty writes a much more likable MC, and all of his characters have heart. That is important to me personally.
Drifty also have great artistic vision, which is a trait that DPC has. Both do great renders. All of that said, I agree with my earlier post that as a writer, Drifty is the better storyteller. I enjoy his story more. Yes there is a huge presence from DPC in this AVN world, but that by no means should be used to define every new story. I think that because I do call out DPC on his writing skills, and I do promote people like Drifty, Notty, Kinky Shop, PhillyGames, Motkeyz, and others for their superior stories in terms of writing, MC, and to a certain extent LI characters, that it causes heartburn on the BaDIK forum, even as I give credit for wingman and renders....
Peace

Reactions: Ragnar

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I don't think I've ever hinted towards that LoF will be an Lord of the Rings sized epic adventure. And of course I'm exaggerating now, but this is a story about a group of people and what they experienced one summer.
But what about the epic ski trip where they have to walk up the mountain, both ways, in the snow! :ROFLMAO:

At the moment it's not even a summer it's a couple weeks, but then maybe where you are summer only lasts a month? I'm kidding!

I worried that my saying anything at all critical would be seen as overly negative. You know I love this game, been supporting it for a long time now, and I am not about to stop. I've already told you that as long as we don't have an Acting Lessons ending I will keep supporting you for many many more projects (exceptions being zombies and superheroes).

My hope for LoF is that I can put out a story which you will enjoy reading. That the characters are likeable and that you get a feeling you can connect with them as they go through their own journeys through it. It's also the first writing I've put out there at all, so I have no idea of where I stand against those who are really good at this, and it is also my period of learning the ropes, daz studio and getting the experience (and hardware) needed for my next story.
As a first game this is head and shoulders above many first games, I've played a lot of them in hopes of finding a new game that compares to this or Intertwined. I am still looking. The worry I have, which I think is justified, is whether the endings will be satisfying and feel rewarding. Since we aren't there yet I have no way of knowing, I hope that the final half is just as good as the first half.

And by me already now mentioning my next story, I don't mean to imply that I am hurrying this at all. I care too much about my own story to push a completed tag too early. Also, on the account of being short, let me remind you that we're not even half way in yet, and so far I'm at over 8,000 renders and 15,000 animated frames. I'm not rushing this, I can promise you. I'd say I'm probably putting in more work than needed, but I am not going to add several thousand lines of text just for prolongment, when fewer does the exact same job. I will probably always go by a more visual style of storytelling, than an in depth text adventure.
As for render count, I am not as big a fan of graphics as I am of text. I will read 1000 page books because I want to be sucked into a story but never watch a tv show/movie no matter how "pretty" it is... That said I am never going to complain about renders/graphics, it's just that's not why I am here. Your writing is why I stay and will stay.

And about King. I agree, he knows how to create awesome stories, and extremely good characters. But there is no spider at the end of LoF. :)
If there is a spider at the end of this game it better be a new tattoo that Cece or someone decides to get. LOL

King is a fantastic writer but can not end a story.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Please don't publicly mention Acting Lessions, every time it happens a LI dies in a house fire.

Damn, another gone...
Acting lessons, lessons in acting... I've always wanted to learn how to act.. Maybe get lessons :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, it's never a good idea to compare a finished product to one that is still being actively developed.

That said we can see that both Drifty and DPC are strong at creating characters that people engage with - whether they hate or love the characters there is a lot of discussion around them. They both are great at making beautiful renders of beautiful characters that people fall in love with... Otherwise, I think it's best to avoid going through the respective games and comparing them. It's not really appropriate and it just divides people.

Acting lessons...

thorin0815

Apr 16, 2020
Acting lessons, lessons in acting... I've always wanted to learn how to act.. Maybe get lessons :ROFLMAO:
Acting lessons...
May you burn in hell (instead of my LI's). :LOL:

Anyway, it's never a good idea to compare a finished product to one that is still being actively developed.

That said we can see that both Drifty and DPC are strong at creating characters that people engage with - whether they hate or love the characters there is a lot of discussion around them. They both are great at making beautiful renders of beautiful characters that people fall in love with... Otherwise, I think it's best to avoid going through the respective games and comparing them. It's not really appropriate and it just divides people.
Well said! In general, I don't tend to compare the work of different authors, everyone has different visions for their work.

• Haha
Reactions: MrFriendly

Malicre

Oct 23, 2018
To be fair, the one thing iv always said drifty does better then anyone else (yes including DPC) is the music. I know the music isn't his but the way he incorporates it into the game is absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

thorin0815

Apr 16, 2020
To be fair, the one thing iv always said drifty does better then anyone else (yes including DPC) is the music. I know the music isn't his but the way he incorporates into the game is absolutely perfect.
Oh, thanks for the hint. Then I have to play again with the sound turned up, normally I never do that because the fake moaning in many visual novels really annoys me.

Reactions: MrFriendly
4.80 star(s) 559 Votes