Balpheron

Jun 1, 2020
I don't get it. I've started Acting Lessons, but due to other - more prominent titles, left it on the shelf as is. Too many AAA games coming out and getting the PS5 and tons of games for it has me really going. What's wrong with Acting Lessons? What dies and why? From the parts I played it looked like a decent title, so, do share even if it spoils it.

thorin0815

Apr 16, 2020
I don't get it. I've started Acting Lessons, but due to other - more prominent titles, left it on the shelf as is. Too many AAA games coming out and getting the PS5 and tons of games for it has me really going. What's wrong with Acting Lessons? What dies and why? From the parts I played it looked like a decent title, so, do share even if it spoils it.
During a house fire you have to decide to save one of two LI's from the fire, the other will then die in the flames.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
I don't think I've ever hinted towards that LoF will be an Lord of the Rings sized epic adventure. And of course I'm exaggerating now, but this is a story about a group of people and what they experienced one summer.

My hope for LoF is that I can put out a story which you will enjoy reading. That the characters are likeable and that you get a feeling you can connect with them as they go through their own journeys through it. It's also the first writing I've put out there at all, so I have no idea of where I stand against those who are really good at this, and it is also my period of learning the ropes, daz studio and getting the experience (and hardware) needed for my next story.

And by me already now mentioning my next story, I don't mean to imply that I am hurrying this at all. I care too much about my own story to push a completed tag too early. Also, on the account of being short, let me remind you that we're not even half way in yet, and so far I'm at over 8,000 renders and 15,000 animated frames. I'm not rushing this, I can promise you. I'd say I'm probably putting in more work than needed, but I am not going to add several thousand lines of text just for prolongment, when fewer does the exact same job. I will probably always go by a more visual style of storytelling, than an in depth text adventure.
I agree there's no need to make a sprawling epic when the goal is slice of life - especially when you're still getting your feet wet. And I'm not overly worried about the animations or render count; like MrFriendly I'm more interested in the words that bind those pictures together than I am the pictures themselves.

I do think some aspects of the story have been rushed, though. It's less about plot and more about establishing details. I feel like the game sometimes skips a step or two when laying out how the MC interacts with other characters.

The way Kira will all but break up with Robin the instant we learn about their relationship is one example. It's very confusing at first, and even on reflection it gives the impression that the Kira/Robin relationship is extremely shallow. Perhaps the idea was to give the player an extradiegetic option to pursue them independently without having to break them up 'in character;' if so, I think that needed to be conveyed to the player explicitly. Otherwise, the situation would have benefited from a little more time to flesh Kira and Robin out as a pair before we get to choose how the MC might change things.

Linda is another example. I'm sure you will fill in some of the gaps when we get her path in Chapter 4, but it would have been nice if we learned that she was out looking for work in Chapter 3 BEFORE she got back and reported she hadn't found any. Obviously we can work out that she must have mentioned her plans offscreen, but doing it that way makes us feel more distant from the MC (and Linda). The two are reconnecting after years apart, so seeing first hand how they discuss simple things like Linda's fruitless job search can actually do a lot to inform us about both characters. As an added bonus, it would give the reveal that Linda was actually meeting Steph that much more impact.

Having said all that, these are lesser issues. I really do enjoy the game overall. The characters are likable, and I really want to see what happens to them. As many have said, the music and character models are excellent. And the game is full of fun details; I still get a kick out of the MC's phone in the Chapter 2 intro. That's the sort of stuff that doesn't matter in a bad game, but can be the difference between a good game and a great game.

We'll have to see how this game ends before we can judge it properly. For now I think it's impressive for a first effort. So just consider these suggestions to improve on in the future.

And about King. I agree, he knows how to create awesome stories, and extremely good characters. But there is no spider at the end of LoF. :)
So, it's a snake instead? Why'd it have to be snakes?

Reactions: M! and MrFriendly

DriftyGames

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2020
I do think some aspects of the story have been rushed, though. It's less about plot and more about establishing details. I feel like the game sometimes skips a step or two when laying out how the MC interacts with other characters.
Thank you very much for that feedback. I'm always interrested in hearing where I could have been done better, and where some elements of the story are lacking, or you feel it could be improved.

The way Kira will all but break up with Robin the instant we learn about their relationship is one example. It's very confusing at first, and even on reflection it gives the impression that the Kira/Robin relationship is extremely shallow. Perhaps the idea was to give the player an extradiegetic option to pursue them independently without having to break them up 'in character;' if so, I think that needed to be conveyed to the player explicitly. Otherwise, the situation would have benefited from a little more time to flesh Kira and Robin out as a pair before we get to choose how the MC might change things.
I used more time making that morning coffee on the bench conversation than it probably seems I have. And by you mentioning this, I probably should have taken even longer time on it, polishing it further.

Kira is getting feelings for the MC quite early, or feels she might be - maybe even questioning her relationship with Robin without even knowing it. Though, there's nothing shallow about their relationship. In fact, it's rock solid. Which I've tried portraying by them being close in other scenes. Also by them seeking 'outside help', to spice things up, suggesting they are very confident in each other, and their own relationship.

Kira's threesome question is meant to be for her own interest. 'What if MC is ok with both me (Kira) and Robin', and by MC saying no, she's dismissing it, deciding to go for the 'fun adventurous path', as she and Robin intended instead - not realizing that she might actually get to the point where she will have to make the choice herself further down the line, and it will not be a fun choice.

Of course, the Threesome question is put in there to allow a wider range of choice for the player. But of course, I might have failed at implement it properly. Or at least will have to look it over when I put the finishing touches on the final version of the story.

Linda is another example. I'm sure you will fill in some of the gaps when we get her path in Chapter 4, but it would have been nice if we learned that she was out looking for work in Chapter 3 BEFORE she got back and reported she hadn't found any. Obviously we can work out that she must have mentioned her plans offscreen, but doing it that way makes us feel more distant from the MC (and Linda). The two are reconnecting after years apart, so seeing first hand how they discuss simple things like Linda's fruitless job search can actually do a lot to inform us about both characters. As an added bonus, it would give the reveal that Linda was actually meeting Steph that much more impact.
I was sure I had mentioned that she had to go look for a job at some point in Chapter 2, but you are probably right. I haven't replayed the earlier chapters yet, due to the cringe-factor I think I (and most devs) will feel when seeing the earlier renders. I probably should though.

I'm putting the finishing touches on the Linda path in the game right now, and it's mostly about finally getting the chance to sit down and talk with her, which will also fill in her backstory.

We'll have to see how this game ends before we can judge it properly. For now I think it's impressive for a first effort. So just consider these suggestions to improve on in the future.
I definitely will.

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Oh....

Edit: Well...that's some lame writing right there.
yes it is
Very lame. Comparing Acting Lessons to Leap of Faith is like comparing a literal pile of dog poo to a great story. Seriously. in AL the MC is not particularly likable. The consequences of dating several girls along the way to finding the one you want is extremely harsh, your best friend is either dying or not, depending on how you choose through some actions, and no matter what you do, one of the LI dies, and you spend a year in psycho therapy getting through it...
It is depressing drivel
Leap of Faith is a breath of fresh air. Lovable MC (BUNNY SLIPPER DANCE MADE MY DAY!!!!) The girls are all enticing and interesting, even the heartbreaker..
You have a positive effect on those around you as the MC, and Chris is like the ultimate wingman!
The artwork/renders are great, the animations are great, there is nothing not to love!

Yuno Gasai

Developer of "Acquainted"
GFX Designer
Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
Best teaser so far!!!!!
so much drama :KEK:

not to mention, Drifty's improvements in animations. SO FUCKING EXCITED.

and, are both the remaining parts (Ch4, P2 & P3) releasing together?????
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Dr.Jan Itor

Jun 19, 2018
Whole chapter 4 on the second day of my one week vacation....this is one of the luckiest coincidences I ever had. :D :D :D
Drifty your timing is fucking impeccable.:cool:

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Yes, indeed. :) I had the choice of releasing one part in the start of December, and one in January, or push for a Christmas present for you guys. Chose the latter one.
Aww, that's so nice of you. And such dramatic wrapping paper, too!

Now I feel bad that I didn't get anything for you yet. :oops:

4.80 star(s) 560 Votes