Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
I wrote this on my Patreon, as the Stephanie discussion seems to be going everywhere, and it has been for roughly 4 months now. I thought I'd share it here.

---

I think I'll expand a bit on the Stephanie situation.

She's ment to be a refreshing alternative to the same old, same old "the ex" in many VNs, where the writer introduces a 'flashback bad girlfriend' and has to write a new ending because 4 people really liked the look of the ex. :)

As a reader, it's completely up to you if want to include her in the story or not. I'm not picking sides or forcing you to do anything. I respect the opinions of both sides - and I suspect that most have their own opinion based on real life experience. But I want those who choose to end up with her to have an equally powerful emotional moment as those who ea. picked Cece from the start and eventually ends up with her - when they do. Or on the alternative side, you can reject her completely and she's gone from the story - except for a small moment very late in it.

The discussions about her being a manipulative bitch, that she somehow fooled him from the start, fucked 43 different men while being in a relationship with the mc, and probably killed cute squirrels on the way to school every day as a side hobby is all on me. I gave you the worst first impression of her that I possibly could have. If I didn't convince you that they had a good time together in ch3, then I never will.

She's a big part of the story - if you let her. But the game is yours to play as you like it. It wouldn't be a real choice based game if you didnt. :)
I have previously said that Steph is actually shown in a positive way compared to standard gfs in other novels, so I am happy to know I kind of was right about that.

In most novels, we are showed previous relationship bad points. Here we were only showed an amazing girlfriend. The only big critique to her is disappearing. In fac, the whole point was that relationship was amzing and she just disappeared. No cheating, no fights, no boredom. That already suggest dev is not trying to point out a negative image of her.
I am almost surely, we will see a lot of people start liking her more and more. My personal taste is Cece> Lexi> Steph>Linda>the other two. I already think Steph is amazing. Cece still steals everybody hearts and Lexi had a bigger screentime than Steph. So there is that.
Thing is I didn't get that extremely wrong first impression you are describing and it's probably why I'm not getting all the hate. Yes, we are told by the game that they used to have a strong relationship and then she left him. But we don't get to actually see that in the first chapter. So, without having seen the extent of that relationship and their interactions, I couldn't relate with that "betrayal" so many are talking about. To me she was just a character we just met and had a quick ex bootycall with a flavor of netori in the end. We are only now starting to get glimpses of their relationship and it's just that. Glimpses.

I won't pretend I know how everyone is thinking and I've seen some users articulate well why they don't like the character. But I'm willing to bet that some portion of the hate has nothing to do with the plot. There are some players who get an aneurysm whenever they see a character who's not yet another faceless, available hole to be added in a harem. So, just the fact that she is currently married to a male (gasp) who's not the MC (double gasp) makes the character unwanted. To a lesser extent you can see the same reaction towards the bi couple.

Just make the game you want to make, you seem to have a good grasp of how you want your story to unfold. Many devs end up making it up as they go, so easily influenced by loud reactions that the story ends up a jumbled mess.
I quite agree with you. I said before that for me her only capital sin was the disappearing fact. That is just something you don't do.

But I am willing to give her the benefit of doubt to explain what happened. Hearing out is what I would want as MC and having the opportunity to explain myself is what I would want if I was in Steph's position. Like I said in another post, if after explaining everything, MC still wants her out of his life, I (being in her shoes) would accept it and don't bother him again.

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
I don't think it's over the top at all bro. You ask someone not to do something that's gonna cause you a lot of pain, seriously, not playing games or fooling around, and repeatedly. Then they still go ahead and do it. That ain't normal behaviour and borders on a breach of trust.

I expected this type of reaction since like I said before, Cece is represented in a specific way to make the player want to rescue her and so most people will have those feelings for the character. I'm just sayin' these red flags are mounting up and the MC has only known her for like four days.
Well i think Cece has a lot of problems and any realtionship with Mc will have it's share of trouble and drama, which should be expected after her little jump stunt.
I just think that with the malicious personality is bit over the top just because of that scene, i would have the same reaction if any of the other girls would do it in that situation (except Steph), it's not because Cece is represented in a special way.
And a lot of pain is way of a exaggeration, i would agree with u if she kicked him in the balls or so.

Reactions: Ayhsel

blastwave2k

Jun 23, 2017
I wrote this on my Patreon, as the Stephanie discussion seems to be going everywhere, and it has been for roughly 4 months now. I thought I'd share it here.

---

She's ment to be a refreshing alternative to the same old, same old "the ex" in many VNs, where the writer introduces a 'flashback bad girlfriend' and has to write a new ending because 4 people really liked the look of the ex. :)

As a reader, it's completely up to you if want to include her in the story or not. I'm not picking sides or forcing you to do anything. I respect the opinions of both sides - and I suspect that most have their own opinion based on real life experience. But I want those who choose to end up with her to have an equally powerful emotional moment as those who ea. picked Cece from the start and eventually ends up with her - when they do. Or on the alternative side, you can reject her completely and she's gone from the story - except for a small moment very late in it.

The discussions about her being a manipulative bitch, that she somehow fooled him from the start, fucked 43 different men while being in a relationship with the mc, and probably killed cute squirrels on the way to school every day as a side hobby is all on me. I gave you the worst first impression of her that I possibly could have. If I didn't convince you that they had a good time together in ch3, then I never will.

She's a big part of the story - if you let her. But the game is yours to play as you like it. It wouldn't be a real choice based game if you didnt. :)
this and all the back and forth over specifics of the characters just shows that you've made convincing characters that people are getting invested in. quality writing. also i appreciate seeing your thinking behind how you developed Stephanie and can't wait to see what more you have in store for the future. =D good good stuff

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020

---

Well... It's difficult to have a good opinion of Stephanie since all we had when we first met her was the dream, her lack of explanation as to why she left, and the obvious devastation she left the MC in. If there had been a prologue where we could interact with her or see an extended scene of the two of them together it would have gone a long way toward giving a more favorable impression of her and their relationship. Perhaps, for example, if the flashback in chapter 3 was the dream the MC had in the beginning of chapter 1. Right now you are back filling the narrative and that makes it difficult to change the course of public opinion.

On top of that is the fact that she gives the impression that she moved on from the MC in the intervening years by getting married (to murderous Melvin). Yes, she supposedly has a completely reasonable and justifying explanation for why she left, ghosted the MC, got married, and is only now back in town. But someone who has had their heart broken shouldn't be expected to be calm, rational, and patient with the person who broke them. Especially when, upon first seeing each other after 2 years without any communication, there is no explanation forthcoming no matter how much one asks for it.

Having a good time with someone isn't the same as showing us the depth of their love for each other. One afternoon at the beach in a flashback in chapter 3 doesn't counter the player's knowledge of the MC's 2 years of depression, his becoming a shell of his former self, that he was essentially a hermit because of the pain he suffered from her betrayal. Essentially we are not given a compelling reason for accepting her back into his life. The memory of a past love they shared doesn't automatically allow her back in, not with the way they broke up.

As of chapter 3 the MC is once again surrounded by people who care about him, something that hasn't happened in a long time. He has women who care about him as more than a sex object, one of which was a past flame (his first flame). There is a superstar who may actually see him as a worthwhile partner in life. Why should he stop everything that is going on right now and go back to someone who has hurt him more than anyone else has ever hurt him?

Also... I would really like it if you filled in more of the MC's life history. Right now we don't know if he has siblings, what happened (if anything) to his mom, if he has any family whatsoever. I am sure some of that reticence is because, often, when you introduce female relatives, the pervs on this site immediately want to be able to fuck them. However, it would be nice to be able to understand more about him and the life he had B.S.S (Before Steph Split).

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I have previously said that Steph is actually shown in a positive way compared to standard gfs in other novels, so I am happy to know I kind of was right about that.

I quite agree with you. I said before that for me her only capital sin was the disappearing fact. That is just something you don't do.

But I am willing to give her the benefit of doubt to explain what happened. Hearing out is what I would want as MC and having the opportunity to explain myself is what I would want if I was in Steph's position. Like I said in another post, if after explaining everything, MC still wants her out of his life, I (being in her shoes) would accept it and don't bother him again.
Well for me as MC her being married would also be a big point. For me my MC has two options with Steph, either pick up that relation again with Steph if she really had a good reason and that reason is gone or she really feels different about it. But a husband is not a part of that, so only an option if she is willing to divorce him and has done so or made an irrevocable step. Not planning to let MC be a third wheel that is just being used as her fucktoy, even if a beloved one.

The other option is to finally move on with his life after getting the reason without any bitterness or ill will to Steph, but being friends with her now while she is being married and unobtainable would be an impossible option for an MC wanting to move forward so that would be an:
I really hope you made right choice and you will be happy with it, but I need to move on from you and seek my happiness and would be unable to do that with you in my life since I still love you. Maybe in a year or five, but not now.

Also MrFriendly , when she decided to get married and had moved on she could have sent him a letter, telling it was impossible for her to return to him for reasons and to please move on with an I loved you deeply at end.

Last edited:

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Well i think Cece has a lot of problems and any realtionship with Mc will have it's share of trouble and drama, which should be expected after her little jump stunt.
I just think that with the malicious personality is bit over the top just because of that scene, i would have the same reaction if any of the other girls would do it in that situation (except Steph), it's not because Cece is represented in a special way.
And a lot of pain is way of a exaggeration, i would agree with u if she kicked him in the balls or so.
Yeah, I have not seen anything like a malicious personality either. Just a cute girl dealing with depression.

I don't even think bipolarity applies here. This is what a doctor actually told me about it and it is consistent to my experience. Most people that have not dealt with depression are under the impression than a depressive person cannot smile or enjoy anything and are sad most of the time. That is almost never the case. They may have moments like that, but depressive people can have moments in which they are feeling better. Bipolarity, on the other hand goes from depressive state to that of extreme euphoria. I have not seen Cece under anything resembling euphoria. So for now I kind of discard that.

She has her serious issues. Her comment about alcohol is potentially dangerous given her current state, her suicide attempt was the real thing (not a simple desperate shout for help). But I have not seen anything that resembles anything malicious. The pinky scene looked to me that while she was giving MC the lovely puppy eyes, MC missed the point but talking about breathing. MC paid the consequence of not realizing they were having a moment. I think most of us have had to pay that price in the past.

So far, CC>Lexi>Linda/Steph (a bit of wishful thinking and based of the happy moments shown for steph)>the cute bi couple. I know myself. CC touched all the right buttons, so I don't think her first place will change anytime soon, but who knows, right?. All others are open.

Well for me as MC her being married would also be a big point. For me my MC has two options with Steph, either pick up that relation again with Steph if she really had a good reason and that reason is gone or she really feels different about it. But a husband is not a part of that, so only an option if she is willing to divorce him and has done so.

The other option is to finally move on with his life after getting the reason without any bitterness or ill will to Steph, but being friends with her now while she is being married and unobtainable would be an impossible option for an MC wanting to move forward, so that would be an I really hope you made right choice and you will be happy with it, but I need to move on from you and seek my happiness and would be unable to do that with you in my life since I still love you. Maybe in a year or five, but not now.
If it is about moving on, I think the safest approach is always not have a relationship with her. In my experience, the only girls I could have a friendly relationship about having a serious relationship were the ones that affected me less. Steph really fucked MC. So I don't think her presence is something that will allow him to move on. She has a grip too tight on him. So yeah, it is either go back together or goodbye. No middle grounds.

Faptime

Mar 25, 2018
Regarding Steph, I think there's more to it. Note "Swole" Nuke messages in both her first and second Nuke posts (the old one near the bottom and the newer one near the top)...
Yeah, I think it's a decent assumption that "Swole" = Melvin. Their first Nuke exchange (the I love yous) only really make sense if they are an item and Steph's fearful words for MC's life when they are fucking conveyed an impression that her husband was very dangerous. A person like that would easily have a nickname of Swole.

All of this makes her last Nuke message very interesting. "It was nice working with you." Who says that during a breakup? A couple that was together for some other reason than love.

As a side note, I have the feeling that Steph's "Hollywood" Nuke friend is the same "Holly" that talks Lexi into masterbating during the bonus scene, so there's a very good chance that Lexi and Steph are only a few steps removed from each other.

Which brings us back to why Steph left. Who could force that? She was obviously in love with MC, but the setup to leave was already in place.

All signs point to MC's rich, powerful Middle Eastern father. Lexi and Steph could both be part of his dad's unrevealed plan.

#tinfoilhatequipped

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
As of chapter 3 the MC is once again surrounded by people who care about him, something that hasn't happened in a long time. He has women who care about him as more than a sex object, one of which was a past flame (his first flame). There is a superstar who may actually see him as a worthwhile partner in life. Why should he stop everything that is going on right now and go back to someone who has hurt him more than anyone else has ever hurt him?
I agree with you the way you presented. It is not rational for MC to go back to her. I have said it several times that it will be very hard for her to give a nice reason to how she acted.

However, this is not a rational question. The heart wants what the heart wants. I am not stupidly quoting the beatles "all you need is love". But I would be naive and lying to myself if I said I expect that decision to be rational.

Luckily, though, some of those new people are amazing and can potentially change MC's feeling. But if he decided to go back to his ex, I am not in a position to judge, no matter how irrational that may be.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I agree with you the way you presented. It is not rational for MC to go back to her. I have said it several times that it will be very hard for her to give a nice reason to how she acted.

However, this is not a rational question. The heart wants what the heart wants. I am not stupidly quoting the beatles "all you need is love". But I would be naive and lying to myself if I said I expect that decision to be rational.

Luckily, though, some of those new people are amazing and can potentially change MC's feeling. But if he decided to go back to his ex, I am not in a position to judge, no matter how irrational that may be.
Yeah, just as MC will have to be honest to Steph as well if he wants back together or any more distant future relation and not nice. She will need to know how it affected him and will have an influence on his behavior and who he is now.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020

Yet, unless Drifty drastically alters the game, in the end the decision is up to each player. I wouldn't be opposed to allowing Steph back in as a friend, she obviously matters to the MC and had a huge impact on him. I don't want to have any animosity with her but I don't know whether she'd accept that (or if Chris and the rest of the group would accept that). Steph has caused too much pain to be forgiven enough to be the MC's love again.

Reactions: Ayhsel

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Yet, unless Drifty drastically alters the game, in the end the decision is up to each player. I wouldn't be opposed to allowing Steph back in as a friend, she obviously matters to the MC and had a huge impact on him. I don't want to have any animosity with her but I don't know whether she'd accept that (or if Chris and the rest of the group would accept that). Steph has caused too much pain to be forgiven enough to be the MC's love again.
Yes of course it is a player's decision. I really don't see myself how Steph could take me away from Cece, even when I am anticipating that Cece is way more fucked up that we know so far.

What I meant is had I been simply a observer and the end of this story would be MC's going back to her, I don't have the moral authority to claim that it makes no sense. I can relate to making "irrational" choices like that.

Yeah, just as MC will have to be honest to Steph as well if he wants back together or any more distant future relation and not nice. She will need to know how it affected him and will have an influence on his behavior and who he is now.
Indeed. Steph's relationship is very broken no matter how in love they are. It will take a lot to rebuild trust.

Reactions: MrFriendly and DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Well like I said already at this stage of his life it should either be love, whether she deserves that or not and yeah that would be mainly based on the time we never saw as players or nothing. No chance to just be friends without tearing up MC as situation is now. Maybe when he got his own life back on rails and has truly moved on and she has become a beloved memory instead of what he dreams of. Now maybe he will be able to move on very quickly with those 5 women that want him for sex and/or more. :p

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Yes of course it is a player's decision. I really don't see myself how Steph could take me away from Cece, even when I am anticipating that Cece is way more fucked up that we know so far.
Well my MC will likely be very prepared to have a big heart and give his love to more as one person, just as I could not bring myself to tearing Kyra and Robin apart, why would I care if they love eachother if each of them loves me as well? :p Suspect though for all, will take a few playthroughs.

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
Wow did this topic blow up in just one day, 7 pages worth since I checked.....

I've read it several times now, but...... what "pinky trick" is everyone talking about with Cece? I thought I had played every branch so far but never saw anything like that.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Well my MC will likely be very prepared to have a big heart and give his love to more as one person, just as I could not bring myself to tearing Kyra and Robin apart, why would I care if they love eachother if each of them loves me as well? :p Suspect though for all, will take a few playthroughs.
Haha that is fine. I honestly don't care at all about them romantically speaking, but if I did I see absolutely no reason why to break them apart and would love to be a 3 persons couple.

I've read it several times now, but...... what "pinky trick" is everyone talking about with Cece? I thought I had played every branch so far but never saw anything like that.
After Lexi calls you and invite you her house, you can either go to Kira and have sex with her of go home. If you go home, there is a scene where MC teaches Cece a pinky trick to hurt people if attacked. Like I said, for me it was not big deal and if anything it was cute, but some were claiming it could hint that Cece can have malicious intents.

Faptime

Mar 25, 2018

You have to turn down sex with Kira at the restaurant and head home early. You end up having a cute encounter with Cece.

4.80 star(s) 560 Votes