Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Here's what I do (my start time on 0.41 is usually ~30sec). I don't know if this is the full update he's talking about, but it should be enough to run 0.42 off of the update patch.
  1. Download the
  2. Put the renpy folder in the same directory as your Lessons in Love folder. Not in the LiL directory itself, the directory contents should look something like this: View attachment 3887232
  3. Run renpy.exe and you should see LiL in your projects list. Click on it and click launch to start the game.
If you want to make a new exe for LiL instead of launching renpy each time, you should be able to do that by starting renpy, selecting LiL, and clicking "Build Distributions", but I've never tried that. I imagine it would take a very long time
What happens if someone tries to just use the usual update patch without any of that? I assume it'll just crash yeah?

skwada

Feb 13, 2020
What happens if someone tries to just use the usual update patch without any of that? I assume it'll just crash yeah?
I haven't used one of his update patches for a long time but iirc they ship with a new copy of the executable right? I think if you were to ignore that executable file and copy over just the new assets from the update patch, it'll probably end up working. Reason being: the executable is tied to the Ren'py version while the assets are not. In fact he doesn't need to ship a new copy of the executable at all because I'm pretty sure the exe doesn't care at all about what game is actually being run; the only game-specific customization that's done for that executable is the icon which is embedded in it :p all that executable does is spin up an instance of the engine -> loads all the assets and scripts in the game/ directory -> interprets/executes the scripts

In theory it's possible that he ends up introducing some code that only works in the latest engine version but based on the fact that the existing game mechanics are fairly simple and don't seem to be tied to the game engine version (evidenced by the fact that users are able to just manually upgrade the engine version w/o running into problems), I doubt that you'd run into that issue

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022
He canceled that animation :)
Fuck it. I'll do it myself.
60$ for only a pass?:unsure:
Welcome to the world of... Supporting small devs? Greed? Whatever you want to call it. My suggestion, just pay the minimum a month if you want to and can afford it — Or if you're like me and you hate accounts and subscriptions, donate a fair price during development or after release as a "purchase price" as if you're buying the game from retail. (Or buy merch or something)

skwada

Feb 13, 2020
I've just spent like 30 hours creating a 11,000 line linear mod for this fucking game and it better not have been wasted time :ROFLMAO: :cry::sick::HideThePain:
Based on how you implemented that mod, I don't see an engine upgrade causing it to break :p All you've gotta do is 1) maybe migrate any python 2-specific code that's not backwards-compatible with python 3 (shouldn't be much if any) and 2) if you wanna be super careful, run a diff on the script files and see if he changed any labels

Reactions: PhiloPhilo

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022
The new engine version shouldn't break anything. An update patch using the old 7.3.5 version is still coming out. The only issue likely to arise in the future is if the game utilizes a new or changed feature not supported by older versions of Ren'Py. For example, the Ren'Py 8.2. Changelog mentions an updated text library & functionality. If you were to call (use) a function that searches for/changes script that wasn't supported on older versions, you might get a crash or traceback error (The game saying I don't know where that is / I don't have instructions for that and getting stuck.) Probably not gonna happen, since the most important change is memory optimization.
Other than that, it's just general compatibility issues, but it should be okay. Smiley face

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022
But what if it won't?
I'll personally create a hotfix for any compatibility issues arising from the new engine. I want all of my friends and fellow fans to be able to enjoy the game without worry. May as well use that CS degree for something.
*I will absolutely not do this. The real answer is cry / update Ren'Py

BlackDays

Jan 30, 2021
I'll personally create a hotfix for any compatibility issues arising from the new engine. I want all of my friends and fellow fans to be able to enjoy the game without worry. May as well use that CS degree for something.
*I will absolutely not do this. The real answer is cry / update Ren'Py
I find the term Computer Scientist kinda funny/strange.
I don't see people like us standing in a labratory with tubes and bunsen burners.
I wonder how that term came to be.

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Since Selly usually drops the update anything up to an hour early i can safely say i am prepared for more Big Penis™ in less than 6 hours...
Borrowing words from Rin herself: "You may think so, but have you seen the size of that thing?" :ROFLMAO:

Personally, I hope Rika does this update, add that to my impossible things to happen. If Selebus won't give her plot, at least give her sex.

korendrd

Sep 9, 2020
Borrowing words from Rin herself: "You may think so, but have you seen the size of that thing?" :ROFLMAO:

Personally, I hope Rika does this update, add that to my impossible things to happen. If Selebus won't give her plot, at least give her sex.
Getting momcucked would suck for Rin. Would likely lead to some cutting.

• Haha
Reactions: LoveBlueHairedGirl
4.20 star(s) 296 Votes