alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
And I honestly wouldn't put it past him to do that after he has his way with her.
Nah, his goal is to have them all to himself and not just one time, pushing her to suicide would be shooting himself in the foot no matter when he does it. He WILL make a move on Rin, guaranteed, but only when he doesn't risk losing a chance for seconds or thirds for people he's already with or the first or future repeats with her or someone else.

Reactions: DrFree

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Nah, his goal is to have them all to himself and not just one time
I was saying that mostly because of the hate I have for him ;). That said, he seems like the type of person to see just how far he can go with the whole reset scenario.

Reactions: alex2011

DrFree

Apr 23, 2019
I was saying that mostly because of the hate I have for him ;). That said, he seems like the type of person to see just how far he can go with the whole reset scenario.
Your hatred is making you really biased right now. So far, we have seens him purposefully getting away from the reset issue. He is so much fucking further away from "see how far he can go with the reset" than even a normal person. A normal person would go out of their way to check how the damn thing works, to a degree.
Sensei basically escapes it.

crypto

Aug 14, 2017
Hadn't checked this since like 0.5, as I wanted to play to be able to play plenty of this existential happy game without having to wait on new content.
Has the otherwordly completely normal stuff been fleshed out yet?

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
He could do some things with the resets given his immunity, but he doesn't know what the next reset will bring or whether it will reverse any fatal errors he makes, so he would have to be extremely careful there as well.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Your hatred is making you really biased right now
Biased to what exactly? To the fact that he is a terrible excuse of a human being. He's said several times nothing he does with the girls or the world even matters. But I was saying it off hand, it still doesn't change the fact that he's the worst.

DrFree

Apr 23, 2019
PRAISE BE

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
ssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Biased to what exactly? To the fact that he is a terrible excuse of a human being. He's said several times nothing he does with the girls or the world even matters. But I was saying it off hand, it still doesn't change the fact that he's the worst.
Biased to specifically the example you gave, and I addressed just now. I didn't say he wasn't awful in my post. Thats not what I was talking about.

Reactions: alutarox

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Indeed, calling him a shit person or whatever isn't bias, it's what he really is.

This is NOT a game where the protagonist is some goodie two shoes that could never do anything to harm or bring harm to another being. This man we play as is what you would find as the picture in just about any illustrated dictionary, yes, they exist, for the word scum.

He is the absolute worst of the worst and is only starting to change a little over an extended period of time because of what he is experiencing in the story of the game.

Just because this change is happening DOES NOT disqualify him as a shit person or the scum of Kumon-mi.

Reactions: Skeltom

Kitsune241

Aug 25, 2017
Indeed, calling him a shit person or whatever isn't bias, it's what he really is.

This is NOT a game where the protagonist is some goodie two shoes that could never do anything to harm or bring harm to another being. This man we play as is what you would find as the picture in just about any illustrated dictionary, yes, they exist, for the word scum.

He is the absolute worst of the worst and is only starting to change a little over an extended period of time because of what he is experiencing in the story of the game.

Just because this change is happening DOES NOT disqualify him as a shit person or the scum of Kumon-mi.
You know there's some nuance between a "goodie two shoes" and the "absolute worst of the worst"... right? The world (either the real or the game one) isn't just black and white.
And if in order to defend your point you have to insinuate that the other person's point is the most extreme stance you could take in the other direction (i.e. calling Sensei a goodie two shoes, cause he's definitely not), that's called using a strawman, and is usually the sign of a very weak argument.

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
Devil's advocate here, again. I don't think it's that hard to identify with Sensei. And I still don't see him as the almost infinitely bad person.

If tomorrow I, same as Sensei, wake up in another world in body of teacher, who's surrounded by pretty girls, with one almost throwing herself at me right away, others being mostly friendly, with most men conveniently missing, etc ... then "fuck yeah, I'm building a harem!" will be one of my first thoughts. For that I blame games like this. ;)

Right from the start I could assume that I'm fucked. Me appearing in this world would be something I couldn't explain. But I'd know that the same force that brought me could remove me from it at any time, turn me inside out, or do anything beyond my imagination to me. Can you imagine knowing that and just living a normal life? Being cynical as hell would be one defense mechanism I'd definitely use. So anyone reading my thoughts would not get a pretty picture. I'd be much less ambitious than Sensei, more careful, etc. But different people, different personalities, maybe he was some 'must fuck all' playboy type in his original life, and it stuck with him. As a player, I can get over that.

With the knowledge that horrible end may be just a second away at any time, why even hold back? Other than for strategic reasons, i.e. that it may not happen that fast, and because the world otherwise functions, meaning for example that I could end up in jail, if I'd go overboard. And the more I'd discover that I can question whether anything is real or not, so in turn whether anything I do matters, the less reasons I'd have for that. So manipulating few girls by being nice to them, and without really trying to hurt them, is not that bad in this context. It would be bad IRL, because everyone knows, even without personal experience, that harems don't work very well, because people get jealous and stuff. But maybe it's a flaw that can be fixed, and where better try it than in a world that's maybe not real anyway?

I think this is important aspect. Sensei doing what he's doing in what he'd think is normal world, that would make him very bad. But he knows very well that there's nothing normal about the world he's in. It changes things. It doesn't make him good. He's pushing the limits, but given the circumstances, I can excuse that. The lack of clearly negative motivation is good enough for me.

I deliberately don't give too much importance to "happy" scenes, because I'm not sure what to think about those. Is it supposed to be real, or some nightmare, hallucinations, or whatever else could it be? The thoughts in there, are those really his? I don't know how to work with that.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
You know there's some nuance between a "goodie two shoes" and the "absolute worst of the worst"... right? The world (either the real or the game one) isn't just black and white.
And if in order to defend your point you have to insinuate that the other person's point is the most extreme stance you could take in the other direction (i.e. calling Sensei a goodie two shoes, cause he's definitely not), that's called using a strawman, and is usually the sign of a very weak argument.
There is, but none of it is in this game except during this change he's experiencing thanks entirely to being around the girls. This guy started out as black as a person gets morally and is only just starting to turn a tiny bit grey because of them.

I was in no way insinuating that was what anyone thought of him, or at least that was not my intent if I managed to. I was simply making it clear that this game isn't one with that type of protagonist, though that should be pretty clear already.

He is as close to being a villain protagonist as a character can get without actually being a villain right now and he most definitely seemed to start out as one minus the truly evil intent they often come with.

While trying to build a harem of girls with mental, medical, and emotional issues while each of them doesn't know the others are doing things with him isn't the same as world domination or some other truly evil mission, it is still within the realm of evil, just not villain level evil.

Cerpin

Jun 22, 2020
1) We're listening to his inner monologue. Think about *your* thoughts when you're flirting with a girl, and imagine how they would sound to an observer. Actions matter more than the thought process that go into them, and while he's clearly a horndog who wants a lot from vulnerable girls, he also genuinely does make efforts to help the various girls in his life. I don't think he is so much *bad* as lacking in restraint.
I don't know about you, but my inner monologue is self correcting. So if I think something gross or unkind or cruel I tend to then think "shit that was fucking reprehensible, where did that come from? I'm glad no-one can read my mind, I'm better than that."

Our boy doesn't do that, which suggests that while he does have a filter and is capable of self restraint, he doesn't really aim to be a better person than his basest desires. Or maybe he's incapable which sort of makes him a sociopath. He has engaged in a little self reflection, but doesn't really seem that interested in being "good" beyond the rewards acting good can get him.

He's not like the most vile person ever, but he's a bit (a lot) of a shit.

Reactions: cakeny and alex2011

Kitsune241

Aug 25, 2017
I was simply making it clear that this game isn't one with that type of protagonist
No one was saying that he was, so I don't know why you even brought it up (other than as a strawman).

While trying to build a harem of girls with mental, medical, and emotional issues while each of them doesn't know the others are doing things with him isn't the same as world domination or some other truly evil mission, it is still within the realm of evil, just not villain level evil.
He's not specifically going after girls with issues though. That would be scummy, but that's not what's happening.
He's going after everyone, just so happens that everyone in this God forsaken town has issues. He's still not a great person by any means, but considering that he seems to be genuinely trying to help them through their issues in the process, even when it's detrimental to his goal of sleeping with them, means he at least has some good in him.
For example in Futaba's case letting her continue to feel bad about her body and telling her that "He's the only one who could love her" would serve his purpose of getting with her much better than trying to improve her self-image and confidence, which is what he's actually doing.

Cerpin

Jun 22, 2020
He is as close to being a villain protagonist as a character can get without actually being a villain right now and he most definitely seemed to start out as one minus the truly evil intent they often come with.

I think you could quite reasonably conclude that he is a villain. No one in history ever thought they were evil, they all rationalise their actions some way.

Imagine you were Ayane's dad and you found out just what her teacher had been doing. You'd not be concerned by the nuances of his motivations :LOL:

Sep 16, 2018
Your hatred is making you really biased right now. So far, we have seens him purposefully getting away from the reset issue. He is so much fucking further away from "see how far he can go with the reset" than even a normal person. A normal person would go out of their way to check how the damn thing works, to a degree.
Sensei basically escapes it.
Sensei just comes across as really broken and I still assume he's the same teacher the girls knew from before, he's just had his psyche shattered by something intensely traumatic or something along those lines. He claims to have come from another world but we don't get any memories from that prior life he's supposed to have lived. That and the lack of curiosity or even agency (he manipulates his way around each girl and event but never really initiates anything in the game) speaks to him having been through something so awful that he no longer believes anything matters.

Of course there's a deeper story being told through the secret scenes and I'm curious to see how they end up connecting to the main story, but I'm enjoying Sensei's character and the internal inconsistencies in his character make a lot of sense for someone who's been horribly traumatized.

Edit: It's also an interesting conversation as to whether Sensei is actually the protagonist here. He doesn't really initiate events and just kind of goes along with them and tries to manipulate them to his advantage, but any action that furthers the story or moves the world seems to be initiated by one of the girls. Maybe kissing Yumi against her will but even then he claimed someone else took control.

Jimbolance

Nov 19, 2018
Everyone here is making great points discussing Sensei's character and it's all really interesting, but I just gotta say:

Sensei is a boomer. Or "boomer-esque" if you will.

Like c'mon, he hates Christmas, he told Yumi she should get a paper route of all things, he thinks Shrek is a bad movie.
If it wasn't for the fact that he has better things to do I could vividly imagine him watching (but never actually enjoying) hours of TV shows where the lead makes joke after joke about hating his family/work/life to the tune of canned laughter.

So yeah, I diagnose him with boomeritis. This has been my extremely important and serous analysis of Sensei's character, thank you for coming to my TED Talk etc. etc.

Deleted member 1697433

Lessons in Love
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2019
Everyone here is making great points discussing Sensei's character and it's all really interesting, but I just gotta say:

Sensei is a boomer. Or "boomer-esque" if you will.

Like c'mon, he hates Christmas, he told Yumi she should get a paper route of all things, he thinks Shrek is a bad movie.
If it wasn't for the fact that he has better things to do I could vividly imagine him watching (but never actually enjoying) hours of TV shows where the lead makes joke after joke about hating his family/work/life to the tune of canned laughter.

So yeah, I diagnose him with boomeritis. This has been my extremely important and serous analysis of Sensei's character, thank you for coming to my TED Talk etc. etc.
LiL has been solved. Pack it up, everybody. Game over.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes