barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Hey I have version 0.20 part 2 so do I just download the update only and overwrite files or do I have to download the full thing?
The version here is just the full version, I believe.

Patrons have access to an update-only download through Patreon, but it hasn't been posted here yet.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Hey I have version 0.20 part 2 so do I just download the update only and overwrite files or do I have to download the full thing?
If you are referring to the "part" thing, that's just Selebus splitting a single monthly download into two biweekly downloads. Every 1st and 15th of the month gets an update instead of only one day a month unless there is something huge going into an update that is better served in one large update or Selebus has something happen to make him miss out on a release.

You only ever need whichever part is available, you don't need both part 1 and part 2 to play as everything ever released for the game is in every release.

The version here is just the full version, I believe.

Patrons have access to an update-only download through Patreon, but it hasn't been posted here yet.
For some reason, I once again feel like I've been missing out on something because of my lack of attention to patron perks. I never knew there was an update only download. This is getting to be like the request sharing channel on Discord all over again, where I didn't know because I hadn't asked for access since I didn't want to take away any time for Selebus to grant it manually due to being a SubscribeStar subscriber and not a Patreon patron. That's one of the advantages of Patreon, it is already set up to interact with things like Discord automatically whereas SubscribeStar can't yet do that.

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
It wasn't significant to you, but a lot of us did have significantly better speed on NOPY than anywhere else that didn't have some sort of other limit like MEGA's data limits.
As I said: NoPy had an awful transfer rate for me, and not only me but also for several people I seen on this forum too, wasn't able to resume downloads properly by itself (very annoying with a huge download through browser's download and a low speed), and Mega's data limit was and still is a joke to bypass...

But I don't force you - or anybody - to use Mega. You can still go for AnonFiles (yeah, sarcasm is strong here, I know...) or wait for someone's else resources to seed a torrent. As I said also, I'll still use Mega, and I'll get the games before all people who refuse to use it properly - i.e. without the client. Most devs (to not say near all...) provide a Mega link for any significantly heavy file: only some small mods are provided without a Mega link, AFAIK. I gave the bypass method, then if people use it (or not!) it won't change neither my life nor my bank balance...

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
As I said: NoPy had an awful transfer rate for me, and not only me but also for several people I seen on this forum too, wasn't able to resume downloads properly by itself (very annoying with a huge download through browser's download and a low speed), and Mega's data limit was and still is a joke to bypass...

But I don't force you - or anybody - to use Mega. You can still go for AnonFiles (yeah, sarcasm is strong here, I know...) or wait for someone's else resources to seed a torrent. As I said also, I'll still use Mega, and I'll get the games before all people who refuse to use it properly - i.e. without the client. Most devs (to not say near all...) provide a Mega link for any significantly heavy file: only some small mods are provided without a Mega link, AFAIK. I gave the bypass method, then if people use it (or not!) it won't change neither my life nor my bank balance...
That's not a NOPY problem, that's a user problem. Not that you or anyone else having problems were doing anything wrong, just that there were issues and it sounds like the connection just wasn't completely stable and at top quality at the time, which is a possible issue on literally any site or torrent. There is that pesky issue on Drive with the download getting locked down entirely if the link gets overused, but that isn't nearly as bad as waiting several hours for MEGA to reset my quota.

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
That's not a NOPY problem, that's a user problem. Not that you or anyone else having problems were doing anything wrong, just that there were issues and it sounds like the connection just wasn't completely stable and at top quality at the time, which is a possible issue on literally any site or torrent. There is that pesky issue on Drive with the download getting locked down entirely if the link gets overused, but that isn't nearly as bad as waiting several hours for MEGA to reset my quota.
That was however a NoPy problem... My connection is out of any possible flaw, including when downloading across oceans: I have correct speed everywhere, BUT with some companies/providers - like NoPy. I'm not living in a technologically underdevelopped country or town, I have a fully wired gigabit network at home (shielded), a gigabit optical fiber landline, and absolutely NO jitter in my connection. The bottleneck was at NoPy's level.

Don't know why NoPy was so shitty, and don't want to know why either since it's now fully irrelevant. The connection WAS stable, but slow, and across hours of downloads the (in)famous 10^-9 probability of an unrecoverable transmission error was raising up to become a near certitude - the worst being AnonFiles, without any close challenger in unreliability.

I avoid using any Google service as much as possible, so I don't see what this problem is - I'm bothered enough when I see that a 200 MB file cannot be processed properly by Drive, so I won't use it but when forced to do so.

And - again - breaking the quota limit for Mega is child's play. Which is quite ironic when it's about downloading adult games, IMHO, but I can admit that I have a pretty peculiar sense of humor. And when I say "breaking", that's a complete understatement... So I don't understand why you get this in the discussion one more time, but if you stubbornely stick to a browser download, of course.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
That was however a NoPy problem... My connection is out of any possible flaw, including when downloading across oceans: I have correct speed everywhere, BUT with some companies/providers - like NoPy. I'm not living in a technologically underdevelopped country or town, I have a fully wired gigabit network at home (shielded), a gigabit optical fiber landline, and absolutely NO jitter in my connection. The bottleneck was at NoPy's level.

Don't know why NoPy was so shitty, and don't want to know why either since it's now fully irrelevant. The connection WAS stable, but slow, and across hours of downloads the (in)famous 10^-9 probability of an unrecoverable transmission error was raising up to become a near certitude - the worst being AnonFiles, without any close challenger in unreliability.

I avoid using any Google service as much as possible, so I don't see what this problem is - I'm bothered enough when I see that a 200 MB file cannot be processed properly by Drive, so I won't use it but when forced to do so.

And - again - breaking the quota limit for Mega is child's play. Which is quite ironic when it's about downloading adult games, IMHO, but I can admit that I have a pretty peculiar sense of humor. And when I say "breaking", that's a complete understatement... So I don't understand why you get this in the discussion one more time, but if you stubbornely stick to a browser download, of course.
You can't know that for sure because it could be any point in the connection, of which there are multiple, some of which are not readily accessible to someone who is only using the site. In fact, it is specifically because NOPY seems to be your only problem site that I am suggesting there was an issue while you actively had a NOPY download going. If it had been NOPY's problem, there would be nobody having good speeds, but I never had a problem with them and they were my go to site on here for anything over the MEGA free limit and often my first choice even when I could fit the download into a single MEGA download.

I didn't say there was a problem with Drive, that's just my new go to site now that NOPY is dead since it has roughly the same performance with only an issue where they will block off a download for everyone for 24 hours if it gets enough traffic. I've processed plenty more than 200MB files on Drive, so again, not sure the problem there.

As for breaking the transfer quota, you do realize that MEGA is a website accessed by browser, right? You also realize that the transfer quota is not negated by using their sync program, right? It really doesn't matter how you do it, you have to access it through a browser and you have to have an account, which means you get the quota because that transfer quota is enforced against accounts, not IPs, making the quota stick to you unless you go against their terms and make a second account, which can get you banned.

As for why I get in the discussion 'again,' that's becuase it was never finished as far as I know. I keep getting replied to, so that tells me the discussion has never ended and I therefore respond.

Ponyboy451

Feb 27, 2018
tbh as a makoto fan and general bad-end/sadness-disliker, I'm feeling more 'up' about the story now than I was about the story as it was going during the first-ish reset. I mean, besides something insane happening like Maya resetting or this version of sensei losing all of his memories I feel more secure this time around despite sensei's memories and general situation becoming more and more unhinged... knowing that we can at least confide in Maya now and she doesn't actually absolutely hate us, something about this arc just feels less shit than the first reset did. If anything, I feel like sensei is more prepared this time around. Does anybody feel similar? Something just feels different.
Despite certain events still showcasing his asshole-iness, there have been more instances of Sensei actually giving a damn about the girls and the things they are going through and has mentioned a couple of times that situations that would normally arouse him aren't as enticing due the circumstances surrounding them.

Whether this means Sensei is growing something of a conscience or not I can't say, but he's definitely not the same person he was previously. Not only that, but several of the girls have showcased the fact they are overcoming their issues and insecurities. I wouldn't go so far as to say things are getting better, but things certainly seem a little less broken sometimes now. But if there's one thing you can trust in this game, it's that the house of cards that is happiness can collapse from a single unlucky breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: crustlord12
Jan 16, 2019
tbh as a makoto fan and general bad-end/sadness-disliker, I'm feeling more 'up' about the story now than I was about the story as it was going during the first-ish reset. I mean, besides something insane happening like Maya resetting or this version of sensei losing all of his memories I feel more secure this time around despite sensei's memories and general situation becoming more and more unhinged... knowing that we can at least confide in Maya now and she doesn't actually absolutely hate us, something about this arc just feels less shit than the first reset did. If anything, I feel like sensei is more prepared this time around. Does anybody feel similar? Something just feels different.
maya resetting ? which event ? i was very sleepy in last events so i might missing that or forgot .she lost her memories about last maya events ?

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
You can't know that for sure because it could be any point in the connection, of which there are multiple, some of which are not readily accessible to someone who is only using the site. In fact, it is specifically because NOPY seems to be your only problem site that I am suggesting there was an issue while you actively had a NOPY download going. If it had been NOPY's problem, there would be nobody having good speeds, but I never had a problem with them and they were my go to site on here for anything over the MEGA free limit and often my first choice even when I could fit the download into a single MEGA download.
The answer is "shitty content delivery network (CDN) and/or shitty load-balancing algorithm and/or shitty cache/reverse proxy".
And Occam's razor.

If ONE service is bad, while ALL others are fine all around the world, then this ONE server is the culprit. Period. All things considered, AnonFiles is "correct": the bandwidth limit is consistent, simply I'm not satisfied with it and it's unusable for very big files. NoPy was a rollercoaster with a way too low maximum - unconsistent, therefore not suitable for my needs.
Maybe it was sending the connection through a shitty path, but it was THEIR responsability to correctly route the transfer to a reliable node-chain and not use the cheapest one. Same difference between flying with a normal airline company and a charter with last minute tickets: the first is a direct link with free food and drink, the second takes you through Mexico City to go from New York to Washington (with six hour stopover) and a bottle of warm water is sold 10$ on board.
Maybe their cache handling on local nodes was shitty.
Maybe it was linked to time zone/local time when downloading.
Anyway, I don't care: every other CDN/clouds I use offers a proper load-balancing and decent speed. But NoPy, and obviously extremely cheap services like AnonFiles.

I didn't say there was a problem with Drive, that's just my new go to site now that NOPY is dead since it has roughly the same performance with only an issue where they will block off a download for everyone for 24 hours if it gets enough traffic. I've processed plenty more than 200MB files on Drive, so again, not sure the problem there.
I mean, for example, that Drive seems to be unable to process an AV scan on anything but VERY small files (200 MB seems already too much), and it's not very fast too - rarely above 30 MB/s... Also, I don't like Google, at all.

As for breaking the transfer quota, you do realize that MEGA is a website accessed by browser, right? You also realize that the transfer quota is not negated by using their sync program, right? It really doesn't matter how you do it, you have to access it through a browser and you have to have an account, which means you get the quota because that transfer quota is enforced against accounts, not IPs, making the quota stick to you unless you go against their terms and make a second account, which can get you banned.
False.
Mega is a cloud/host provider, with ALSO a web interface. Once synched through the client, you use it like any cloud-connected folder - the same way I use my Amazon, Autodesk, Microsoft, NordLocker or Apple clouds. You drop a file inside, it goes to the cloud, and when a file is dropped directly to the cloud, you'll get it on your disk after the time needed to transfer it.

Successfully got above ONE HUNDRED GB in a row from F95, several times, to ensures you that:
  • Quota limit, server-side, isn't account-based, but only IP-based, and it seems that it doesn't mind/check about proxies/VPN. That's stupid - I would be fired for such a huge mistake - but it's how it works anyway. I use only ONE FREE Mega account. I suspect that their business model is mostly based only on professional subscriptions, so they don't care a lot about individuals who get through limits... Others companies (Microsoft, Adobe and Autodesk mostly, but also Qt) rely on the same model and don't "chase" individuals for piracy because once they're used to the product, they push it where they work and then money flows...
  • Quota is "account-based" (in fact, "client instance-based"), client-side, ONLY if you forgot to CLOSE the client before switching your public IP address - otherwise, it do not "forgets" that the quota was reached. I mean close fully the client program, with right-click and "Exit" on the icon, not simply reducing it in tray bar. To be clear, it's like that the quota limit is enforced mostly on client-side and not on server-side...
  • You can choose to download through client instead of browser - the choice is given for EACH download. You can also import it in your cloud, but it isn't usually a wise thing to do but with huge folders with a LOT of files.
  • Client can enqueue downloads and resume them properly, even if closed.
  • Client is WAY faster than browser, since within browser, it downloads to RAM before saving - therefore, if you don't have a HUGE amount of free memory, a big download can fail while it never fails through client - if it does fail, it resumes automatically anyway. This "download memory" seems also to not be swappable (maybe a Firefox issue?), so if other programs don't swap themselves, you'll fail to download a big file once your RAM is full. Client download directly to disk.
  • I've set the client to use up to 6 simultaneous connections for the same file - my landline could handle that easily - without any limit and also without using HTTP. However, the download queue is processed one file at a time, you cannot use the multiple connections to get several files at the same time.
  • I'm here on F95 since mid-2019, I use Mega from the beginning, and I tricked its quota since few days after I start using it. I'm still not banned from Mega. I used their web interface maybe... four or five times? since I registered my Mega account: I rely only on the client. I used it mostly for initial settings, and to get the upscaled videos for "Treasure of Nadia" - that's "just" a 16 GB download, done with 4 tricks to get everything synched to my hard drive - done at 80 MB/s, and 10 minutes grand total because I didn't switched the VPN immediately after limit was reached, due to my other activities on the computer. Synchronization is usually even faster than "regular" downloads, if you have enough cloud space to store it (20 GB with free accounts). And I'm still not banned, BTW, despite I just did it moments ago...
See my post for details to bypass Mega's quota easily.

As for why I get in the discussion 'again,' that's becuase it was never finished as far as I know. I keep getting replied to, so that tells me the discussion has never ended and I therefore respond.
I was speaking about putting back the Mega's quota within the discussion, not replying in itself - on the contrary, I appreciate a reply, and not one the next semester, and it would be difficult to scare me with a wall of text... ;) But if you hadn't read my post, the one I linked just above, then it makes sense to speak about it again... As I said, breaking this limit is a pure joke.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Despite certain events still showcasing his asshole-iness, there have been more instances of Sensei actually giving a damn about the girls and the things they are going through and has mentioned a couple of times that situations that would normally arouse him aren't as enticing due the circumstances surrounding them.

Whether this means Sensei is growing something of a conscience or not I can't say, but he's definitely not the same person he was previously. Not only that, but several of the girls have showcased the fact they are overcoming their issues and insecurities. I wouldn't go so far as to say things are getting better, but things certainly seem a little less broken sometimes now. But if there's one thing you can trust in this game, it's that the house of cards that is happiness can collapse from a single unlucky breath.
Indeed, all it takes is a minor breeze to bring a house of cards tumbling to the ground. One wrong move could prove disastrous.

The answer is "shitty content delivery network (CDN) and/or shitty load-balancing algorithm and/or shitty cache/reverse proxy".
And Occam's razor.

If ONE service is bad, while ALL others are fine all around the world, then this ONE server is the culprit. Period. All things considered, AnonFiles is "correct": the bandwidth limit is consistent, simply I'm not satisfied with it and it's unusable for very big files. NoPy was a rollercoaster with a way too low maximum - unconsistent, therefore not suitable for my needs.
Maybe it was sending the connection through a shitty path, but it was THEIR responsability to correctly route the transfer to a reliable node-chain and not use the cheapest one. Same difference between flying with a normal airline company and a charter with last minute tickets: the first is a direct link with free food and drink, the second takes you through Mexico City to go from New York to Washington (with six hour stopover) and a bottle of warm water is sold 10$ on board.
Maybe their cache handling on local nodes was shitty.
Maybe it was linked to time zone/local time when downloading.
Anyway, I don't care: every other CDN/clouds I use offers a proper load-balancing and decent speed. But NoPy, and obviously extremely cheap services like AnonFiles.

I mean, for example, that Drive seems to be unable to process an AV scan on anything but VERY small files (200 MB seems already too much), and it's not very fast too - rarely above 30 MB/s... Also, I don't like Google, at all.

False.
Mega is a cloud/host provider, with ALSO a web interface. Once synched through the client, you use it like any cloud-connected folder - the same way I use my Amazon, Autodesk, Microsoft, NordLocker or Apple clouds. You drop a file inside, it goes to the cloud, and when a file is dropped directly to the cloud, you'll get it on your disk after the time needed to transfer it.

Successfully got above ONE HUNDRED GB in a row from F95, several times, to ensures you that:
  • Quota limit, server-side, isn't account-based, but only IP-based, and it seems that it doesn't mind/check about proxies/VPN. That's stupid - I would be fired for such a huge mistake - but it's how it works anyway. I use only ONE FREE Mega account. I suspect that their business model is mostly based only on professional subscriptions, so they don't care a lot about individuals who get through limits... Others companies (Microsoft, Adobe and Autodesk mostly, but also Qt) rely on the same model and don't "chase" individuals for piracy because once they're used to the product, they push it where they work and then money flows...
  • Quota is "account-based" (in fact, "client instance-based"), client-side, ONLY if you forgot to CLOSE the client before switching your public IP address - otherwise, it do not "forgets" that the quota was reached. I mean close fully the client program, with right-click and "Exit" on the icon, not simply reducing it in tray bar. To be clear, it's like that the quota limit is enforced mostly on client-side and not on server-side...
  • You can choose to download through client instead of browser - the choice is given for EACH download. You can also import it in your cloud, but it isn't usually a wise thing to do but with huge folders with a LOT of files.
  • Client can enqueue downloads and resume them properly, even if closed.
  • Client is WAY faster than browser, since within browser, it downloads to RAM before saving - therefore, if you don't have a HUGE amount of free memory, a big download can fail while it never fails through client - if it does fail, it resumes automatically anyway. This "download memory" seems also to not be swappable (maybe a Firefox issue?), so if other programs don't swap themselves, you'll fail to download a big file once your RAM is full. Client download directly to disk.
  • I've set the client to use up to 6 simultaneous connections for the same file - my landline could handle that easily - without any limit and also without using HTTP. However, the download queue is processed one file at a time, you cannot use the multiple connections to get several files at the same time.
  • I'm here on F95 since mid-2019, I use Mega from the beginning, and I tricked its quota since few days after I start using it. I'm still not banned from Mega. I used their web interface maybe... four or five times? since I registered my Mega account: I rely only on the client. I used it mostly for initial settings, and to get the upscaled videos for "Treasure of Nadia" - that's "just" a 16 GB download, done with 4 tricks to get everything synched to my hard drive - done at 80 MB/s, and 10 minutes grand total because I didn't switched the VPN immediately after limit was reached, due to my other activities on the computer. Synchronization is usually even faster than "regular" downloads, if you have enough cloud space to store it (20 GB with free accounts). And I'm still not banned, BTW, despite I just did it moments ago...
See my post for details to bypass Mega's quota easily.

I was speaking about putting back the Mega's quota within the discussion, not replying in itself - on the contrary, I appreciate a reply, and not one the next semester, and it would be difficult to scare me with a wall of text... ;) But if you hadn't read my post, the one I linked just above, then it makes sense to speak about it again... As I said, breaking this limit is a pure joke.
Again, you can't know that for sure without actually working on NOPY itself. Also, again, those kinds of issues would not just affect you and a few others, there would literally have been nobody with good speeds using NOPY.

Here's the thing, the service wasn't bad, it was your connection to that service that was bad. It may have been at a point in the middle, where neither you nor NOPY had any control, but it wasn't NOPY or nobody would have had good service.

As for AV scans with Drive, I don't bother with them since I only download things I trust with Drive, something I don't easily do. If I suspect the possibility even from a trusted source, I scan it with my own tools. Drive was never meant to be an AV scanner, it's meant to be a cloud storage and download site.

If it was IP based, they wouldn't be able to get around people using a VPN without banning them, but the second I use a VPN, it starts and immediately resumes counting down as if I never switched to the VPN connection and I remain without any free transfer limit to spare.

They actually do care who gets by the limits on free accounts since those limits are meant to make free users want to buy bigger transfer quotas. And yes, they do chase people for piracy, mainly by striking the account accused of it with the threat of contacting the authorities on top of that and, if the account is used multiple times for piracy, banning it. I should know, my account has a piracy flag on record.

You still have to load the actual download into the browser to make the client download it. You have to go to the download link in your browser and then toggle the option that says to use the sync client on. That means being logged into your account.

Just because you haven't been banned by MEGA doesn't mean you won't be and that's not a risk some people are willing to take because the bans are likely IP based, which means no new account will help. I've been on F95 since 2017 and MEGA since it opened up with the original 50GB storage offer, I think they lowered how much storage new accounts get since I joined. Back then, yeah, it was a piece of cake, but they are evolving as all sites do and not in a good way for us free users.

I see, I misinterpreted the reply part.

Jan 16, 2019
hey guys maya's memory has been reset ? i forgot .i think i remember something like that but i was very sleepy so i probably skip some sensei's lines

Jul 11, 2019
how bout we just stop discussing mega and nopy and actually talk about, y'know, the game?
We could also talk about everyone's favorite topic: Piracy.
Because we definitely haven't discussed that enough and need to talk about theft, morality and whatever else reoccurs in those discussions.

maya resetting ? which event ? i was very sleepy in last events so i might missing that or forgot .she lost her memories about last maya events ?
If I read what he said correctly, he's saying it as an hypothesis of what could happen in the future, not something that has happened.

Anyway, here, have a random topic:
Strange amount of bird folk.
Mainly chickens, but Noodles and Makoto as a bluejay. Also Maya as a bird. And baby flinches.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
hey guys maya's memory has been reset ? i forgot .i think i remember something like that but i was very sleepy so i probably skip some sensei's lines
No, it was thrown out as a theoretical, not something that has actually happened yet.

The dorm war event did tease a possible reset during Maya's challenge, but it's unclear if she was being threatened with one herself, or if they were threatening to reset Sensei. In either case, it was a bluff.

Reactions: Ponyboy451

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
We could also talk about everyone's favorite topic: Piracy.
Because we definitely haven't discussed that enough and need to talk about theft, morality and whatever else reoccurs in those discussions.

If I read what he said correctly, he's saying it as an hypothesis of what could happen in the future, not something that has happened.

Anyway, here, have a random topic:
Strange amount of bird folk.
Mainly chickens, but Noodles and Makoto as a bluejay. Also Maya as a bird. And baby flinches.
Oh no, not the dreaded P word again.

Also, yes, there are quite a few birds, there must be some significance. Selebus doesn't seem to be the type to just randomly throw in a whole bunch of something just for the hell of it, there's usually a reason.

Ponyboy451

Feb 27, 2018
LOTS OF SPOILERS BUT I NEED TO VENT YOUHAVEBEENWARNED:

After just catching up on the Halloween event, can I just once again praise be this game's unmatched ability to make me feel happy and then completely horrible within a span of less than a minute. Cause goddamn. Never did I think things would simultaneously feel hopeful and yet completely fucked. Between Rin actually catching a break for once, but then being Rin despite having no reason to be Rin and Wakana deciding to also be Rin but with less blood, and whatever tf was going on with Sara, I thought after the beach trip we'd ease back into whatever passes for normalcy in Kumon-mi for a bit, but nope. Halloween creates a whole host of "well fuck me"-ness. Then to top it all off, I get to the dialogue choices in Maki's second Invite Event, someone whom I've come to trust for nice, simple, guilt-free MILF sex, and am suddenly feeling unbelievably bad about my desire to sleep with a horny, consenting adult because I don't want her little Bluejay to perform another ill-fated attempt at flight, a decision made all the worse because I actually have full control over whether I make it or not, plus I'm still worried about picking Maya in the costume contest cause I thought it would be funny but now her and Ami are at each other's throats a bit and I can't help but wondering if picking Maya's options to mess with her is fucking Ami up in the head or if Ami is just fucked in the head by default and God GOD god I miss the days when I thought the worst thing I was gonna have to worry about was what kind of homie I was gonna be.

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
crustlord12 : Yeah, right, too long. But I'm like alex2011, I usually always reply, and I too don't mind to write walls of text... But I think that everything is covered now: alex2011 , you'll tell me.

Again, you can't know that for sure without actually working on NOPY itself. Also, again, those kinds of issues would not just affect you and a few others, there would literally have been nobody with good speeds using NOPY.

Here's the thing, the service wasn't bad, it was your connection to that service that was bad. It may have been at a point in the middle, where neither you nor NOPY had any control, but it wasn't NOPY or nobody would have had good service.
Experience. It's not a matter of ONE IP node, these are heavily controlled because they aren't used by only one service. It's a CDN problem, and that's under the control of the company owning/using the CDN. Experience speaking. When you hear hoof noises, think "horse" first, not "zebra": it's the essence of Occam's razor. I had once a problem of performance issues with a 19" bay filled with CPU cards: ONE card were dropping packets... Without any surprise, it was a faulty NIC. But when one other time I got random dropped packets, I directly checked the distributing algorithm - without any surprise too, there was a bug there. And when it's only ONE rack who got problems, you check the interconnection: 99% of time, the problem is here.

As for AV scans with Drive, I don't bother with them since I only download things I trust with Drive, something I don't easily do. If I suspect the possibility even from a trusted source, I scan it with my own tools. Drive was never meant to be an AV scanner, it's meant to be a cloud storage and download site.
I don't even trust "trusted sources", for my part, I scan everything whatever happens... And I don't trust Google's AV anyway. But this is a SYMPTOM: I cannot trust a service that cannot even scan an archive that has, nowadays, a common size.

If it was IP based, they wouldn't be able to get around people using a VPN without banning them, but the second I use a VPN, it starts and immediately resumes counting down as if I never switched to the VPN connection and I remain without any free transfer limit to spare.
It is IP based - proxys IP being ignored, because shared. The quota limit seems to be really enforced ONLY on client-side, and on server-side it's quite a joke.
If your download don't resume after switching to a VPN connection, you probably forgot to close - REALLY close - the client before switching the connection.
When I switch, I usually chose another country, rather than another town in my own country, will probably do the trick switching to another state within USA. It's probably something about using another Mega node and a non-replicated/non-centralized quota limit table... Maybe they can't centralize it because this particular machine would be hammered, maybe their replication algorithm is too slow, I don't know but it's obviously unreliable.

They actually do care who gets by the limits on free accounts since those limits are meant to make free users want to buy bigger transfer quotas. And yes, they do chase people for piracy, mainly by striking the account accused of it with the threat of contacting the authorities on top of that and, if the account is used multiple times for piracy, banning it. I should know, my account has a piracy flag on record.
Have you ever heard of an individual being sued by Microsoft for a pirate version of Windows? They don't care. They care, sometimes, about Office. They don't care much about Visual Studio. They care A LOT about IIS, however, and about Windows Server. And they care A LOT too if you make profit by selling illegal copies, obviously. When you crack Windows/Office, through KMSPico for example, you'll get some minor inconveniences - some elements aren't working properly, but I highly doubt that anybody would notice it not a computer professional. That's why I have a fully licenced Windows for MY computer (a Pro version, of course, even with BitLocker and so on), and a cracked one for my wife's one. She don't need the same things as me.

If you have a cracked Windows, you'll obviously be used to Windows... So you'll ask to get it at work, too - then MS will probably sell a full set of licences, including server licences, plus a Gold MSDN plan. Once you have Windows, you'll ask for having Office, probably with Outlook too - another set of licences. Bonus if you require Visio. And as a developper myself, I won't switch to anything but Visual Studio when working on Windows... Another licence... All these licences can be yearly, and they REALLY are controlled and enforced. They earn a lot of money because they let individuals using a "Pro" version of Windows instead of a "Home", or even a fully cracked version. They don't "lose" money, these people wouldn't had bought it anyway - even more relevant with Adobe and Autodesk products, way more expensive than Microsoft's ones. That's how, in my company, we have CATIA, AutoCAD, AND SolidWorks: each people asked for the software they were used to... Young engineers were used to one of them thanks to a cracked/educational copy. All these licences are yearly, with support: good move for letting a 18 yo geek using a cracked version he would NEVER be able to buy, don't you think?

It's probably the same here for Mega. They care if you host illegal stuff, of course. They care if you obviously use it for business. I highly doubt that they care about bandwidth itself - for individuals, I mean, I doubt that they are so lenients with a business subscription costing 25.000 USD per year... If my company ask for advices for a third-party cloud service, I would propose one from those I use at home... Including Mega, obviously.
Of course, if you don't manage to break the quota limit like I do, you'll upgrade your account - free meal for them. But it's very unlikely that they would hunt for some gigabytes that weren't used otherwise...

You still have to load the actual download into the browser to make the client download it. You have to go to the download link in your browser and then toggle the option that says to use the sync client on. That means being logged into your account.
Yeah, and? It's still not a browser download, and all the traffic (including negotiation) is redirected to the client - because you may only want to enqueue the download, after all... You could even have used a MegaCmd script to get it without using your browser. It's nothing different than a link to a CDN: you reach a page that chose the "best" server for you, and the fact that some CDN start automatically the download isn't relevant.

No host providers used here offers real, direct links: it's always a CDN or equivalent. Being logged to Mega isn't a problem too, it stays logged across sessions if you want it - and since I use it only for downloads, I don't care to keep everything logged. My PC isn't shared, I'm behind physical protections, so I'm rarely anxious when checking the "Remember me" box... My really important services, like my bank, disconnect me after five minutes anyway, and everything of any importance is with 2FA... And if I'm anxious anyway, I have a VPN with a kill switch function.

Just because you haven't been banned by MEGA doesn't mean you won't be and that's not a risk some people are willing to take because the bans are likely IP based, which means no new account will help. I've been on F95 since 2017 and MEGA since it opened up with the original 50GB storage offer, I think they lowered how much storage new accounts get since I joined. Back then, yeah, it was a piece of cake, but they are evolving as all sites do and not in a good way for us free users.
This kind of ban is automatic. In no way it's decided by a human being: they ban first, AND if you make a valid claim, they restore your account and apologize. Way easier.

BTW, most people don't have a static IP, so the ban will last from 24 hours to 7 days. Even your IPv6 isn't static, usually. My external IP changes approximatively every two weeks, because optical fiber, but at ADSL time, it was every 24 hours... And on each connection at PSTN modem time. A static IP is an expensive option - around 100 euros per month in my case, so it would more than double my phone/cell/internet bill. And you can still use a VPN to get a new IP address anyway... BTW, Mega don't rely on IPv6, but on IPv4 - since both breaking the limit AND spend a brand new quota works with a VPN which don't support IPv6.
If you can't make a new account somewhere, it's more probably a cookie problem rather than an IP problem. Your internet box is maybe able to renew its lease to your provider and change its external IP, for example, to avoid waiting for too long...

Again, storage is a thing, bandwidth is another one. Storage needs physical hard drives, therefore you must pay them. Bandwidth is "free" (but electric power used) if your lines aren't fully used: you'll pay the same price for an unused TB connection and a 90%-used one, excepted the light electric consumption involved. Is an unused road less expensive to build and maintain that an heavily used one? Of course not... This is the bandwidth. But if you need to build car parks each mile - and ones that are able to get ALL the traffic parked - then it will cost you your firstborn's soul... This is the storage.

As I said, if I wasn't banned in two years, it won't happens until they implement a REAL quota limit. It's still not the case, two years after. I'm breaking the limit each week, and EVEN if they enforce this quota checking, then I'll be limited too with ANY VPN connection I could use: why should I be banned, since I was properly limited by an efficient algorithm? There is absolutely no risk here... And if it becomes really unavoidable, THEN I'll look for a standard (non-free) account, OR I'll offload the downloads to my NAS like I do for torrents - I have possibilities that most users don't have, so I won't be forced to keep my PC running just for a download.

Until then, it WORKS. So, do as you want, it's not really a problem for ME... I said it already, but I'll get the archive in no time without being forced to endure a slow transfer rate, or several hours of waiting for a quota, or several DAYS of waiting for a torrent - or, worst, don't get the archive at all because stubborness or impatience.

I see, I misinterpreted the reply part.
No problem.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes