alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
It's a comedic joke version he's making out of necessity. He's said that it won't be its own thing, as developing two games simultaneously is way too much. That being said even though the NSFW version is, and will always remain, the true story, he's going to try and make the SFW version enjoyable on its own since if he's forced to make it anyway he might as well make it fun.

In other words, play it only if you really want to have a bit of a laugh. If you're in this for the plot or the PLOT there's no reason to play it.
I don't understand what "do something with it" means; do you mean develop a story that goes in its own direction from the standard edition? No, he's not, that would be essentially making two games at once (Selebus has said that writing is by far the most time-consuming part of making LiL). I've played through a lot of it and large portions are very obviously missing things (the happy events and second Halloween is really obvious this way).

That said, it does have unique characterization, after a fashion. The girls in the SFW version have their character traits greatly exaggerated versus the standard edition, in ways that are pretty funny. So if you have time to kill, it's worth your time to skip through and see what's different.
The real problem there is that a majority of his patrons are there, so if he doesn't go somewhere with it, he risks losing the Patreon funding even with compliance to the rules. I'm sure he's going to do something in the SFW version to keep the funding at least.

Reactions: Lolicon Kami

Razorhead

May 18, 2017
The real problem there is that a majority of his patrons are there, so if he doesn't go somewhere with it, he risks losing the Patreon funding even with compliance to the rules. I'm sure he's going to do something in the SFW version to keep the funding at least.
Well, would you look at that. There's a patch on lewdpatcher that restores all adult content to the Patreon version. I wonder where that came from?

Reactions: Lolicon Kami

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Well, would you look at that. There's a patch on lewdpatcher that restores all adult content to the Patreon version. I wonder where that came from?
Probably Subeles if I had to guess, not sure how that applies to what I said, Selebus can't exactly just stall development on the SFW version and expect patrons who don't know Subeles took over the original to stick around. To people who don't know, the game would effectively be dead, and Selebus can't exactly advertise that there's a patch out. Developers who either develop a workaround in secret or whose players develop a workaround cannot condone or support the workaround publicly, they might as well admit to noncompliance with Patreon even if they did comply, it would end the same.

moodle

Nov 26, 2016
I don't understand what you're saying. There's gonna keep being SFW versions released every time the NSFW version gets released: he's still going to be releasing new content to Patreon. What there won't be is an independent/diverging storyline: the SFW version is going to keep being a second-tier product. It's not its own artistic work.

Reactions: Razorhead

socksguy

Jun 17, 2020
So, I'm confused. The LewdPatcher patch is for the wrong version of the game, and causes errors when I use it on the NSFW version. Am I missing something?

• Angry
Reactions: SymbolicSalad

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I don't understand what you're saying. There's gonna keep being SFW versions released every time the NSFW version gets released: he's still going to be releasing new content to Patreon. What there won't be is an independent/diverging storyline: the SFW version is going to keep being a second-tier product. It's not its own artistic work.
I was responding to the part about not developing it as its own thing, which the concept of the SFW changes kind of is doing in a way.

So, I'm confused. The LewdPatcher patch is for the wrong version of the game, and causes errors when I use it on the NSFW version. Am I missing something?
You use it on the SFW version to make it NSFW.

Razorhead

May 18, 2017
To people who don't know, the game would effectively be dead, and Selebus can't exactly advertise that there's a patch out.
The discord server is widely advertised, where this patch is common knowledge. Not to mention it's also heavily discussed here on F95, where a large part of Sel's audience came from. All it takes is a single question "what happened?" and dozens of people will eagerly point them in the right direction. Only people who for some reason don't do the tiniest bit of research and immediately cancel their pledge won't know.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
The discord server is widely advertised, where this patch is common knowledge. Not to mention it's also heavily discussed here on F95, where a large part of Sel's audience came from. All it takes is a single question "what happened?" and dozens of people will eagerly point them in the right direction. Only people who for some reason don't do the tiniest bit of research and immediately cancel their pledge won't know.
Not everyone uses Discord, I didn't use it regularly until only a few months ago, mid October, when I upgraded my tier to a higher one with benefits that include Discord perks and custom image requests, and I didn't use it at all before Selebus started distancing himself from F95, at which point I started exclusively using either direct messages on Discord or SubscribeStar to contact Selebus when there was something wrong with the game so the problem didn't go unnoticed. You would be surprised how few people look before they leap on Patreon, both in starting and discontinuing patronage. I have to play it smart with my money, not everyone has that limitation to the same degree as I do, giving them more freedom to subscribe and forget with the exception of new version links.

socksguy

Jun 17, 2020
You use it on the SFW version to make it NSFW.
I tried that, too - Except that didn't seem to work for me. I applied the patch, and I still got the huge black screen on scenes that said THERE IS NOTHING HERE or whatever. I did use an old save, but that shouldn't matter, right? The assets should have been replaced regardless? Also, I thought the LewdPatcher patch only uncensored some of the content, not all of it?

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
Swear to fuck, Sub/Sel is going to have a fucking aneurysm reading half of these comments. How are some of these people this bad at reading comprehension? I'm here reading some of these people being like "wtf no nsfw????" like 1641226257672.png

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
He's still going to be updating and maintaining the NSFW version outside of Patreon. The adult content was only removed for Patreon.
Patreon is really a terrible place to be. They have dumped all over the adult community for years now, and they ban people randomly all the time. I strongly suggest just not using that service at all.

And you know that practically 100% of anyone on patreon are getting this game precisely for the adult content. - all this does is add an annoying step which will inevitably drive people away. Which is pretty much the opposite effect that game developers want. You WANT people to be playing and paying for your game.

And if fiddling around with patreon means it adds yet another extra step that people have to navigate, it will result in less people actually playing the game because every extra step is another point at which some people will just get frustrated and drop out entirely.

Last edited:

moodle

Nov 26, 2016
Patreon is really a terrible place to be. They have dumped all over the adult community for years now, and they ban people randomly all the time. I strongly suggest just not using that service at all.

And you know that practically 100% of anyone on patreon are getting this game precisely for the adult content. - all this does is add an annoying step which will inevitably drive people away. Which is pretty much the opposite effect that game developers want. You WANT people to be playing and paying for your game.

And if fiddling around with patreon means it adds yet another extra step that people have to navigate, it will result in less people actually playing the game because every extra step is another point at which some people will just get frustrated and drop out entirely.
Sure, but balance that against the fact that 95% of his income is currently on Patreon; at some point the cost-benefit analysis makes it worthwhile for him to jump through the hoops, even if some people drop the game entirely rather than switch to SubscribeStar or the yearly game pass.

Obviously it would be ideal for him for everyone to switch to a different site so he doesn't have to put up with Patreon's bullshit, but until that happy day, he's still financially dependent on them.
cannot get "mana drain" to happen, any suggestion?
Do you mean Mana Transfer? See Ayane's event Crash of Thunder (which requires visiting her dorm at 35 Affection after having seen Under the World Tree, her level 35 Dojo event), and then wait until Tuesday.

Reactions: legend_shon

socksguy

Jun 17, 2020
Okay, look. The important bit is that the NSFW version will continue to be updated and will be available outside of Patreon. I would recommend taking further discussion about the merits and flaws of Patreon outside of this thread before a Mod steps in to enforce that.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes