daagagsdgd

May 9, 2019
Moonflare aramaug Apollo259 I have a bit to add (for once) about the "teacher as a name" discourse. Tagging instead of quoting for sanity reasons. I used to be a teacher/instructor (horrifying, I know) in other languages and around other countries. And in kung fu, where obviously Chinese is used (though I don't speak it.) Not in Japanese to be fair, but the linguistics are the same*.

In many languages, similarly to Japanese, "teacher" or the equivalent isn't just a description, it's a title or honorific. When you become a teacher, you become Teacher-Philo or Philo-Teacher. This applies to more than just teachers. In some cases, both a teacher, priest, elder, mayor, etc. would all be Teacher MoonFlare or Apollo-Teacher. It doesn't sound right in English because the word teacher is used more literally, and doesn't have the same associations with a person's status or seniority. We also don't use honorifics the same or nearly as much, with the closest example many might be familiar with being military ranks. It's more like calling someone Sir Aramaug, if Aramaug got knighted and became a Sir. When I was teaching, I was Philo-[Sensei], not "(The English) teacher — comma — Philo" if that makes sense.

I don't know if this is confirmation of anything, I'm not an expert in Japanese and admittedly mine is very bad, but from my understanding and useless linguistics knowledge this makes sense.

This makes my heart flutter and my pussy wet, ngl
Though imo the cultural usage in LiL is always trivial (I mean, Kumon-mi is literally a place in Japan using American customary units and currency), I could prove that at least in China and Japan honorific for teachers is always Surname-Teacher as name is always written in case of Surname-Name on the contrary to that of English, because Chinese is my mother tongue.

This way the name of Sekai could be spelled as Arakawa Sekai with maiden name unknown. I remember father of Kanda Sisters once mentioned Sekai abandoned her maiden name due to the terrible relationship with her family. I won't deny possibility of that opening with letter T despite being weird for her to tell that personally to Akira and it seems that it's an unspoken rule that all the characters in LiL has name and surname begin with same letter (with exception of Arakawa Nozomu and Yuu).

I just think we won't get a clear conclusion here nevertheless.

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022
Though imo the cultural usage in LiL is always trivial (I mean, Kumon-mi is literally a place in Japan using American customary units and currency), I could prove that at least in China and Japan honorific for teachers is always Surname-Teacher as name is always written in case of Surname-Name on the contrary to that of English, because Chinese is my mother tongue.

This way the name of Sekai could be spelled as Arakawa Sekai with maiden name unknown. I remember father of Kanda Sisters once mentioned Sekai abandoned her maiden name due to the terrible relationship with her family. I won't deny possibility of that opening with letter T despite being weird for her to tell that personally to Akira and it seems that it's an unspoken rule that all the characters in LiL has name and surname begin with same letter (with exception of Arakawa Nozomu and Yuu).

I just think we won't get a clear conclusion here nevertheless.
You're right, it's usually name-honorific in many languages. However, you can drop the name and call someone of higher status simply by honorific, but you absolutely can't drop the honorific and just use someone's name in most cases like a teacher. And you are still that honorific independent of your name if you earn it (e.g. you are 'Sensei.') But again, English is title-name, so it would be Teacher-Name, and it doesn't really work the same in English anyway. I'd ask for more insight for Chinese specifically, but that may go even more off topic. Anyway, I think you're right and that the cultural stuff might not always be correct or really important.*

I feel like I remember a line in which someone says something along the lines of "Isn't it weird that we use [American thing]" although I can't actually remember. But I would say that most cases of this come down to the game being in English, written by an English speaker, and for English speakers largely, so everything is sort of "auto-translated" for us, beyond basic things like Yen. So while the setting is Japan, the author is just gonna write dollar or pound or yard or freedom. That's the lazy explanation at least. Also yeah we're not getting any clear answers to a lot of shit for a long time.

If you think this is desperate, just wait until we get into the letter A discourse.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
A is for anal, it was foreshadowing the Maki event where Akira almost had his penis removed.

derekthered56

May 30, 2018
Apropos of nothing, Imani's fear of getting sister-zoned comes off a lot differently now that we know her backstory. Don't know if someone pointed this out yet.

Edit: Just to further ruin people's day, if Imani is trying to avoid seeing Akira as a brother because her own brother just stood by while she was physically and sexually assaulted, then boy is she in for a particularly awful time.

Last edited:

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Fuck.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I mean, we've survived 60 days, 33 is still better. Still sucks though. What I'm thinking is about the disaster that it must be to go 3 days without energy, all frozen food must have/is going bad by now.

Fire Lord Zuko

Aug 20, 2021
I mean, we've survived 60 days, 33 is still better. Still sucks though. What I'm thinking is about the disaster that it must be to go 3 days without energy, all frozen food must have/is going bad by now.
Oh absolutely. Getting your real life affairs in order will always take priority over working on a game, especially given the circumstances. Frozen food doesn’t take long to spoil at all in power outages due to storms.

I dealt with something very similar just last month when a tornado took out some power lines. Not fun at all.

4.20 star(s) 297 Votes