Riolol

Jan 14, 2021
No, and probably by design. Excellent narratives will have their central theme reflected in all its characters (or at least the central ones). In fact, that tends to be a strategy for determining the central theme of a story: what is the question/struggle shared by everyone in it?

The in-universe explanation could just be that all those in the simulation had to be somewhat broken. It would be kind of funny if the whole simulation is an extreme kind of therapy, in which the patient repeats their life until they're able to finally break through from their trauma lol (kind of an anti/weird cousin to No Exit, by Sartre, for those that like those references).
What if Kumon-mi is basically Arkham City?

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
No, and probably by design. Excellent narratives will have their central theme reflected in all its characters (or at least the central ones). In fact, that tends to be a strategy for determining the central theme of a story: what is the question/struggle shared by everyone in it?

The in-universe explanation could just be that all those in the simulation had to be somewhat broken. It would be kind of funny if the whole simulation is an extreme kind of therapy, in which the patient repeats their life until they're able to finally break through from their trauma lol (kind of an anti/weird cousin to No Exit, by Sartre, for those that like those references).
Do you know, you just inspired a thought. Do you know the science fiction movie ? A scientist wakes up, disoriented, to find the whole world absolutely empty. He runs around looking for people, and finally finds two others. At first they’re all very excited to see each other… but eventually we begin to realize… they’re all a bit out there.

In the end, it turns out
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I’m just now wondering if LiL isn’t somehow similar.

Last edited:

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
What if Kumon-mi is basically Arkham City?
That'd probably make Sensei: The Joker and Ami: Harley Quinn.

Noriko is still The Batman:
Random Thought: Noriko is kind of like the Batman of LiL. Proficient in most things, intelligent as hell, stubborn as fuck, and is more or less always prepared:
They also both might be furries. I mean, Batman dresses like a bat and tends to want to fuck a cat.
I kind of want to say Kirin is Catwoman, but Yumi is the criminal thief of the cast, and Noriko x Yumi seems...interesting. Not to mention Yumi in that catsuit would probably be popular.

There's some ideas for fanart.

Riolol

Jan 14, 2021

I kind of want to say Kirin is Catwoman, but Yumi is the criminal thief of the cast, and Noriko x Yumi seems...interesting. Not to mention Yumi in that catsuit would probably be popular.

I just meant it could be a city-wide asylum, not that's it's literally Arkham City but you had me at Yumi in a catsuit.

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Do you know, you just inspired a thought. Do you know the movie ? A scientist wakes up, disoriented, to find the whole world absolutely empty. He runs around looking for people, and finally finds two others. At first they’re all very excited to see each other… but eventually we begin to realize… they’re all a bit out there.

In the end, it turns out

I did not know that one, after reading about it, it is quite interesting. I think that it's possible the end to LiL might resemble some aspects of it, yes. It is said a couple of times that Akira is neither alive nor dead (which can mean a number of things). I, for one, quite like the image of him falling to his death and the entire simulation happening mid-flight. As it ends (if it does), time resumes and he hits the asphalt. I'm not putting forward that this is how I'd like it to end, but the image itself is interesting.

However, it might also have to do with the more recent movie adaptation to Stephen King's 1408. In that story, the protagonist is locked inside a room and experiences many things while trying to escape it. Eventually he can either escape or not, multiple endings were shot. The aspect I think might transfer to LiL is that in one of the endings he does escape and no one believes him, until eventually one piece of proof is found that it all actually happened. My guess is that, if Akira lives by the end of this, there should be some form of disconnect between real life and the thousands of years spent inside the simulation. At least until we reach some form of epilogue that explains why even if it didn't happen, it still did in the ways that matter.

Of course, we could also step out into an apocalyptic setting after exiting the simulation. Or even a supernatural one. There are so many possibilities.

Reactions: Antosha

Fire Lord Zuko

Aug 20, 2021

I was gonna say Ayane was Batman because she’s rich, lives in a mansion, knows how to kick some ass, and has a butler named Alfred Geoffrey. But that Noriko example actually makes a lot of sense. :LOL:

Himawari would also be Clayface because of her shapeshifting abilities and Yasu can be Two Face thanks to her split personality.

Riolol

Jan 14, 2021
I was gonna say Ayane was Batman because she’s rich, lives in a mansion, knows how to kick some ass, and has a butler named Alfred Geoffrey. But that Noriko example actually makes a lot of sense. :LOL:

Himawari would also be Clayface because of her shapeshifting abilities and Yasu can be Two Face thanks to her split personality.
Miku is probably the furthest on track to becoming Batman just because she watched her parents be murdered by a criminal.

Fire Lord Zuko

Aug 20, 2021
Miku is probably the furthest on track to becoming Batman just because she watched her parents be murdered by a criminal.
Omg you’re so fucking right actually! :LOL:

Bro, Batman would have so many potential Robins he could train if he visited Kumon-mi. It’s like a rite of passage for his sidekicks at this point.

Be young. Go through a traumatic experience. Get taken in by Batman. Become Robin and beat the fuck out of some criminals.

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
Omg you’re so fucking right actually! :LOL:

Bro, Batman would have so many potential Robins he could train if he visited Kumon-mi. It’s like a rite of passage for his sidekicks at this point.

Be young. Go through a traumatic experience. Get taken in by Batman. Become Robin and beat the fuck out of some criminals.
Sort of like all the Spideys in the Spiderverse movies all losing their Uncle Ben.

Reactions: Fire Lord Zuko

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022

>Yumi is Catwoman
I sleep
>Rin is Kite Man

Last edited:

aramaug

Jun 28, 2019
Do you know, you just inspired a thought. Do you know the science fiction movie ? A scientist wakes up, disoriented, to find the whole world absolutely empty. He runs around looking for people, and finally finds two others. At first they’re all very excited to see each other… but eventually we begin to realize… they’re all a bit out there.

In the end, it turns out

Didn't know of The Quiet Earth, very interesting. I've wondered before if Selebus might have taken some inspiration from Gene Wolfe's story "The Death of Doctor Island". Extremely troubled youths are sent to an isolated location for "therapy" and aren't allowed to leave until they're fixed, but it turns out one of the patients is special and his treatment is prioritized over the others, to the point of having him kill another patient as part of his treatment. I get very similar vibes with broken people being sent to Kumon-mi, but Akira is allowed to take priority over all of the rest. Also chock full of allusions to poetry, the bible, and mythology.

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
This is your regular "Maya is Best Girl" segment of the week. Today we take a look on how she was trying to get Akira his memory back from the start. This is from the beginning of the game, from the first time Akira helped her with the boxes.
Final verdict: Maya deserves all the watermelons.

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Welp, looks like this topic was addressed just today funny enough.

Well, we don't know about Selebus, but it seems like BigBerk definitely reads our posts. Godspeed Big Berk, please continue to relay our wisdom to him when he can't be bothered to log into his fake account.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Yo, dudes i just reached See You In The Morning, is Futaba bulimic? is that because of Yumi?
Yep, she's got serious body image issues and the static nature of Kumon-Mi means nothing she does actually works, no diet or exercise can actually get her to lose weight so she's stuck in a dysmorphic nightmare... though i think i'd much prefer that over an anorexic Futaba. I quite like my plump Futaba.

4.20 star(s) 297 Votes