barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
I highly doubt the "cheater" variable would result in a punitive outcome (fatal exception, self-corrupting save, etc), but rather change how certain characters (the ones with meta-awareness of the universe and the things that talk to you in Happy scenes) interact. And from a completionist standpoint, that alone would make it worth pursuing in a secondary playthrough just to see if any lore secrets are revealed in one path vs another.

Hell, if I were making a game like this, the whole story would only become apparent if both the cheater dialogue and honest dialogue were revealed.

Reactions: Muk_king
Jul 11, 2019
I just finished .17 and as a note for the developer the Io content in the war was really good but would've been better if she had more events or appeared in other girls stories.
But... Io didn't want to participate at all. She was running away, since you know, she doesn't really like socializing.
Would be kind of strange for her personality to do a 180 and have her willingly participate in any of the events.
Yumi appeared mainly due to Chika, while Io avoided Uta.

Also Sensei better take her to an amusement park.

WHAT
THE
FUCK.
I see you've started your journey. Praise be.
All I can say is to make sure to have sound on, since it's half the experience (and also really important).

Reactions: alex2011

The the Guy

Jun 28, 2018
But... Io didn't want to participate at all. She was running away, since you know, she doesn't really like socializing.
Would be kind of strange for her personality to do a 180 and have her willingly participate in any of the events.
Yumi appeared mainly due to Chika, while Io avoided Uta.

Also Sensei better take her to an amusement park.
I do go on to say the girls from part 2 probably just needed a little more events in general before the war event

Reactions: Lolicon Kami

zekemckillip

Sep 16, 2019
Was just catching up on the Patreon page, and I noticed he hit the $10K goal, which is probably old news by now, but I was reading the list of new rewards for the $12345 goal and this one scares me:

- More shots of Maya's legs

I mean... attached right? And in some normal position for legs on a healthy individual? Because this game has taught me to assume NOTHING! everything is fine.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020

I mean... attached right? And in some normal position for legs on a healthy individual? Because this game has taught me to assume NOTHING! everything is fine.
Based on some of the happy scenes?

They'll only be attached in SOME of them.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Everyone skilled enough to use some save editor can still play with all variables. You could make it more difficult with some checksum or digital signature. Then if someone just changes some varible, they won't match and such save can be rejected. Commonly available tools wouldn't be able to deal with that, because checksum/signature would be custom non-standard thing. And regular user wouldn't be able to compute correct one. But all it takes is one person who checks how the code does it and makes a simple tool to compute it.

And I think Selebus is either nice guy who doesn't really want to annoy players too much, or he's sensible enough to not fight losing battles. Otherwise he would have made that famous address random and unique for each player. And someone else would surely make a tool to extract it from saves. :)
The point being they would eventually find themselves wasting more time setting the variables so they don't go off than they would be spending playing the game because, with each variable manually set by the player to avoid consequences, a new one would be added until theplayers give up. I wouldn't go so far as to do anything that would render a save unusable, that's too far. The only losing battle is on the player side with the method I described, the only way to get out of that battle would be to give up trying to make the variable not fire.

I highly doubt the "cheater" variable would result in a punitive outcome (fatal exception, self-corrupting save, etc), but rather change how certain characters (the ones with meta-awareness of the universe and the things that talk to you in Happy scenes) interact. And from a completionist standpoint, that alone would make it worth pursuing in a secondary playthrough just to see if any lore secrets are revealed in one path vs another.

Hell, if I were making a game like this, the whole story would only become apparent if both the cheater dialogue and honest dialogue were revealed.
That's not what he was saying, he was saying Selebus could use something like a checksum that would render saves that don't match it unusable and saves that were tampered with to avoid consequences for cheating would register as not matching. I disagree as well. An in game consequence for cheating should be fine, but it should also be made unavoidable because it defeats the purpose of having the consequence if people can get around it. This may sound like I'm going on a sadistic streak, but an in game consequence could be total and permanent lockout of lust and romantic character events. Remember the horror of the alternate end to Rin's latest events. The characters would outright reject any advances by player Sensei for the rest of the game. This would be maintained somewhere else even if the cheater variable is reset. Once the cheater variable goes off, that's it.

Was just catching up on the Patreon page, and I noticed he hit the $10K goal, which is probably old news by now, but I was reading the list of new rewards for the $12345 goal and this one scares me:

Careful, they could be attached, but not where you expect.

• Haha
Reactions: Partomatic

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
That's not what he was saying, he was saying Selebus could use something like a checksum that would render saves that don't match it unusable and saves that were tampered with to avoid consequences for cheating would register as not matching. I disagree as well. An in game consequence for cheating should be fine, but it should also be made unavoidable because it defeats the purpose of having the consequence if people can get around it. This may sound like I'm going on a sadistic streak, but an in game consequence could be total and permanent lockout of lust and romantic character events. Remember the horror of the alternate end to Rin's latest events. The characters would outright reject any advances by player Sensei for the rest of the game. This would be maintained somewhere else even if the cheater variable is reset. Once the cheater variable goes off, that's it.
In a propietary engine, that'd be pretty easy to do. In common developer tools where modding/altering is pretty easy, it just creates an arms race the dev will inevitably lose. A team of one can never outpace an entire community working against them.

Reactions: alex2011

Muk_king

Oct 5, 2019
Strawberry Love, that music that plays during Maya's scare room, has some interesting (translated) lyrics.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Could this be a clue to Maya's backstory? Or did Selebus merely choose music he liked?

El_Zane_123

Oct 22, 2020
I'm not sure it's really a secret since baby finches that there was a past relationship. Plus her parting message makes it very clear that she has feelings.
Exactly. I mean it was also very obvious before that she was still deeply in love with sensei but because the past, the fear if falling for him and losing him again and the fear of her showing affection increasing the chances of his personality vanishing again made her choose to distant and cut off her feelings.

She made a huge sacrifice, even more so considering what a pervert sensei is, considering how much she feels for him and how little she allowes herself to show it just to protect him.

Ofc there is more to it but that's the core and that's the true tragedy of current Maya. Even the other girls begin to see through her (Ami and Ayane at least) and she has to struggle with her feelings more and more while also having to adapt because of the arms race with Noriko in the battle for Sensei.

Yet he remains oblivious, this goddamn fool. From everything we have seen so far, it's pretty safe to say that her love for him is immense given the pain she endures for his sake.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Ofc there is more to it but that's the core and that's the true tragedy of current Maya. Even the other girls begin to see through her (Ami and Ayane at least) and she has to struggle with her feelings more and more while also having to adapt because of the arms race with Noriko in the battle for Sensei.
Only the densest of the girls didn't pick up on the subtext of her reaction to Noriko showing up and fawning over him.

Her standoffishness towards Sensei isn't just "if I show my feelings, he might reset again." She's been through failed iterations of him. She's put her walls up to protect herself as much as anything else -- she can't let her guard down for just any person wearing his skin. She doesn't start to slip until she realizes that he's more himself than he's been since this whole thing started. As the story progresses, it's going to get progressively harder for her to retain that facade.

YadenYu

Jul 22, 2019
PDF guides updated to 0.16.0p2. Guide mod updated to 0.17.0.

Character icons have been added to the top of each girl's tracker allowing you to more easily jump from girl to girl.

A "Toggle Completed" button has been added to the bottom of the Main Event trackers, allowing you to hide completed events.

I've continued to rewrite the way the guide mod works, so if you run into anything strange, please let me know.

You might also be interested in seigram's HTML guide.
the mod guide works in compress version?

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
In a propietary engine, that'd be pretty easy to do. In common developer tools where modding/altering is pretty easy, it just creates an arms race the dev will inevitably lose. A team of one can never outpace an entire community working against them.
It is only a loss if he stopped trying. An arms race is a battle of willpower in this sense of the term, an endurance battle where whoever is still updating when the other side stops trying, basically whoever made the last edit when all is done, wins. In this case, given precedent showing how stubborn Selebus can be, which has been nothing but a great benefit to the game, I would put more stake on him coming out on top if that were to happen. The cheater variable would remain simply because the players weren't as dedicated to cheating without consequences as Selebus was to keeping the cheater variable an active threat to a player's perfect run.

Strawberry Love, that music that plays during Maya's scare room, has some interesting (translated) lyrics.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Could this be a clue to Maya's backstory? Or did Selebus merely choose music he liked?
The lyrics were out of his control, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand them based on previous comments, so it was probably coincidence.

ragingbanjo

Nov 15, 2019
desperate to play the new patches but my saves got wiped and the game wont recognise any saves i download from here. Any thoughts?

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
desperate to play the new patches but my saves got wiped and the game wont recognise any saves i download from here. Any thoughts?
Did you take the numbers off the front of the save name from the saves you got here? Renpy only recognizes saves with a specific naming format and files downloaded from F95 have a few numbers tacked onto the front of the file name.

4.20 star(s) 299 Votes